Photo: Arne Ader
In shadowy forests and their verges little red berries reveal the growing place of the May lily. The leaves of the plant are heart-shaped.
The „wineberry“, by one of its folk names, is said to make birds and animals that eat the leaves and berries a little “drunk”. For humans the May lily fruits are toxic. The fruit contains one seed and the fruit flesh has a sweet taste.
To small children eating three-four grams of the berries becomes dangerous. Calculation exercise: one berry with seed weighs about 0,06 grams and in the growing place not many of them are found; rather they are an autumnal delight for the eyes. So cases of May lily poisoning are not common.