General Interest

Discussion of any other birds and animals, anywhere.
alice44

Re: General Interest

Post by alice44 »

Award winning photos of the small scale of nature

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/gallery/year/2009/1

I stumbled on this a couple times but only just realized the #1winner is an Estonian.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Those are very captivating images. Thank you for sharing.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Those are very captivating images. Thank you for sharing.
I like abstract art and it is fun to see those forms in nature (and some look like quilts.)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Tonight I heard a small flock of geese flying overhead at about 12:30am.
I have looked up migrating geese in google and I found this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink-footed_Goose
Can anyone tell me which geese I heard,other than the Pinkfoot ? Here in n/e France,near.s/w Germany and n/w Switzerland ? (and cold weather coming in fast)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

alice44 wrote:Award winning photos of the small scale of nature

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/gallery/year/2009/1

I stumbled on this a couple times but only just realized the #1winner is an Estonian.
wow, that site tied me up for a long time! :help:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I found a link about Squirrels.
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/a ... irrel.html
..and any other Bird/animal/amphibians etc;
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

An online friend sent me a link to her photographs.
Here is a link to her mammals which include Grey Seals in England
I thought it was fun to get a slightly better view than we get on the cam.

http://nutmeg.zenfolio.com/mammals/h389a8f30#h389a8f30

I think it links to her other work too -- lots of bugs ;-) and some fungi.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Very clear and close photos. But are they the same family of seals ? I think 'our' seals are a Hook-nosed variety if I remember rightly. Still those ones look sooo relaxed. :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Very clear and close photos. But are they the same family of seals ? I think 'our' seals are a Hook-nosed variety if I remember rightly. Still those ones look sooo relaxed. :rolleyes:
Nutmeg's page says Grey seal - Halichoerus grypus and Jo's introduction says Grey Seal ( Halichoerus grypus, meaning "hooked-nosed sea pig"), so I think they really are the same seal. Somehow they do look rather different.
Liis

Post by Liis »

I have a problem:
A lesser tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae ) has decided to spend the winter just inside the door to the balcony. It will not be a good place - I think - when the doors are closed more carefully for winter and heating is on. It will probably be too warm (even with an occasional heap of snow blowing in) and too dry.
Any advice - where do I go with it? No attic, no really cool rooms. Would the garden shed be OK - same temp as outside, just more protected from wind? Try to find a hollow tree?
Somehow I can't just throw it outside.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis
I looked and did not find much about their hibernation. I guess I would try to wrap a little box -- cardboard or wood -- with some kind of insulation and put it out in the shed -- at this time of year I have trouble giving my spiders or crickets a toss into the outdoors but I usually do. (I think I get crickets in my firewood and then they wake up in the heat -- and then I have to deal with them -- makes me feel guilty.)

All ARKive says is "adults of the second generation hibernate in buildings, caves and hollow trees," and that is as much as any of the sites said.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I am not really sure where to post this link

http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=11

and it needs a warning I think the pictures are really disturbing -- the remains of Albatross chicks who have basically died of starvation with stomachs full of plastic.
Liis

Post by Liis »

alice44 wrote:-- at this time of year I have trouble giving my spiders or crickets a toss into the outdoors but I usually do. (I think I get crickets in my firewood and then they wake up in the heat -- and then I have to deal with them -- makes me feel guilty.)
What do they do when they wake up? Chirp / sing? :innocent:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote: What do they do when they wake up? Chirp / sing? :innocent:

'Toasted crickets'..a great delicacy in Asian countrys. :nod: :whistling:
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:
'Toasted crickets'..a great delicacy in Asian countrys. :nod: :whistling:
I guess that anything that is reasonably dry, comes in harvestable numbers and is roast/toastable goes down. Like roasted ants.
Looked up crickets: I can understand that you want to deal with them, Alice. :nod: But in Sweden and maybe Estonia, there are really only two species of real crickets, one of them extremely rare (a soil-digging one), and the other, the house cricket, occurring very occasionally. Most people have never seen or heard (not even about) it. I had a gang once, in an aquarium (carefully counted flock!), sounded like sparrows in a distant bush.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I find crickets a little creepy and the sound means fall which I don't like, but I am very glad if they wake up and so escape the fire, but I do feel guilty about putting them back out into the cold -- I bet the raccoons and the possums would eat them if they found them -- which is better than them dying in the house!

I should look it up, because I have recently seen some green things that I think are crickets and I had not heard of green crickets.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Some crickets - at least the house crickets that I had - look a little like cockroaches. But they sound nice, and I liked the stories about them: when you lost a milk tooth the "kilk" (house cricket) took it and put something nice on the table instead.
There are green things called bush crickets, the largest in Scandinavia is the wartbiter bush cricket (Decticus verrucivorus), some 45-50 mm, leaf green and really a mouthful, should you have the idea to roast & eat it. I rather like it too, nice company on sunny pre-autumn days, often sits on the porch walls for warmth.
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

A documental film (http://etv.err.ee/arhiiv.php?id=99015) about cranes (and their relatives) in etv-archive. The author is Rein Maran.

Another one from same author (In the silence of bogs): http://etv.err.ee/arhiiv.php?id=95729
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: From BBC: Golden eagles have been filmed hunting and attempting to kill reindeer calves. Two videos and an article of happenings in Lapland!

edited: I'm sorry I forgot the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 314558.stm
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Two videos, Olga?

If it's BBC, I should be able to find them

Return to “Other Birds and Animals”