Wildlife Cameras that are really good

Links to other wildlife cameras around the world.
vainamoinen

Re: Wildlife Cameras that are really good

Post by vainamoinen »

Kitty KCMO wrote:A screech owl (Western Screech Owl- Megascops kennicoti) unexpectedly begins calling from somewhere near the nest. In the background, the pair of great horned owls continue calling to each other. And the frogs continue their lullaby.

NB: This could also be a barn owl calling, as they also make a screeching sound. The Screech Owl usually has a rather nice little song, but it can indeed screech & give you the shivers when it does so. :laugh:
For me it sounds like typical Barn Owl call. I was never heard Western Screech owl, but I was listening it here.http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus= ... ennicottii
Nothing similar! But maybe you are right, if screech owls have screeching sounds.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

vainamoinen wrote: For me it sounds like typical Barn Owl call. I was never heard Western Screech owl, but I was listening it here.http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus= ... ennicottii
Nothing similar! But maybe you are right, if screech owls have screeching sounds.
I think it is a barn owl, too, after listening to it again. The screech owl will make a sort of screaming sound, but not as often as one would think given its name.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Something different today-- a view of one of the geese grazing across the pond from the nest.

Local USA time=2:15 pm

And a different view of the nest, also.

Local USA time=2:25 pm

Mother Goose & Mrs. Starling have a meeting over the back fence.

Local USA time=5:15 pm
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:loveshower: We have pipped eggs! There will be little goslings appearing over the next hours. The goslings in the eggs are squeaking & talking to Mother Goose, who turns her head this way & that to hear them sometimes.

About 15:30 local USA time--

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The eggs are pipped! There will be little goslings in the nest in the next hours. Though it is very windy into the microphone at times, they can be heard squeaking & talking to Mother Goose as she sits over the eggs, waiting.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Waiting for the eggs to hatch. Goslings in the eggs can be heard pecking at the eggshells & making peeping sounds. Mother Goose turns her head to listen.

Getting out of the eggshells is a lot of work for the tiny goslings. Hours of pecking from the inside & wriggling about inside the shell while making a hole & taking first breaths.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Mother Goose checks under herself to see if help is needed yet. A gosling sounds louder with Mother off the egg. It is very windy & hard to hear at times, but when the wind dies down You can hear the faint squeaks of the goslings.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The first empty eggshell appears! There must be a chick under Mother Goose. I can hear lots of squeaking & twittering.

Local USA time=10:20 pm (22:20)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

My first glimpse of the goslings. Can clearly see empty eggshells & babies' heads under Mother Goose when she stands up to move around. Also note the starlings going in & out of their nest cavity in the tree trunk.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Eaglecrest gosling plays periscope from under Mother Goose.

Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thanks Kitty,its a lovely camera. :thumbs:

What do geese do when they hatch ? Do they go down to the ground,like the ducks do ?... :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Thanks Kitty,its a lovely camera. :thumbs:

What do geese do when they hatch ? Do they go down to the ground,like the ducks do ?... :puzzled:
I was wondering if these guys will have to jump -- soon?
Rionn

Post by Rionn »

Wildearth has opened a new webcam. The Gosa meerkat cam. This is the link:
http://www.wildearth.tv/meerkats

:wave:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Nice, a meerkat-cam, I love this cute little animals :loveshower:
Thank you for the link, Rionn :wave: .
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Seems the geese are down in field now. Honk,honk...alarm calls. :rolleyes:

edit;
Georgeous video of the gostlings taking the big jump. :loveshower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-u-X04 ... e=youtu.be

:headroll:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:loveshower: They are so cute! Here are more photos I took yesterday. I was so tired after waking at 3:00 am that I just couldn't do everything I wanted because I had to go to bed & sleep last night. But the babies did indeed jump from the nest (about 35 ft high or 10.6 meters) this morning, about 7:30 am PST. I'll share lots of pictures & I have more video than I know what to do with. The videos I will go through & try to edit down to the best parts. This will take a while.

But for now, here are some photos from yesterday.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

More:

Mother Goose sits in the dawn light waiting for all the eggs to hatch. She is alert to everything around her & keeps an eye on the starling going into & out of its nest next to her.

Mother Goose still waits on the eggs. Notice that at the right lower corner just before the 1-minute point, you can see the red head of an acorn woodpecker for a moment as it goes up the tree trunk.

Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

macdoum wrote:Seems the geese are down in field now. Honk,honk...alarm calls. :rolleyes:

edit;
Georgeous video of the gostlings taking the big jump. :loveshower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-u-X04 ... e=youtu.be

:headroll:
BEAUTIFUL....Thanks to 989razzle
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

More from yesterday:

We begin to see the already-hatched goslings poke out their heads as they nestle next to mom.

These babies are brimming with energy! The one farthest to the left finally kicks free of its eggshell. Now to get strong enough for the jump to the ground.

Dad waits for his family at the pond across from the tree. Mergansers swim nearby & keep him company.

More to come-- I have many long videos to go through & edit down. And Y-tube is being very slow suddenly.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A view of the nest tree & the surrounding area. The goslings must jump down from the nest platform 35 feet (10.6 m) up in the tree, come through the tall grass at the base of the tree, cross the road, & make it to the pond before the local barn owl (which has been harassing Mother Goose nearly every night), hawks, coyotes, or any other predator spots them. And the great blue heron that wades in the pond daily could also be a danger to them, so they will be guarded jealously by the parent geese.

Thanks to Y-tube member 989razzle for the following video. The description provided is also his:

Eaglecrest Male Goose Visits Goslings 4-7-12 7:07am PDT

The male Canada goose lands to visit the female. 30 minutes later Mom leads the goslings over the nest edge & to the pond with Dad. This Canada goose laid her eggs in a nest abandoned by red-tailed hawks. The eggs hatched on the morning of 4-6-12

Thanks to Y-tube member priscillash1 for the following video of Mother Goose taking her babies to the ground. The description provided is also hers.

Eaglecrest Nest,baby goslings jump to follow mama to pond,7/4/2012

Saturday 7:27am nest time,mama is getting ready to take her baby goslings to the pond this is just amazing to watch,thank you everyone for making this possible to watch.
Raptor Resource Project&RamblingRaptor

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Now we will see family life at the pond. The goslings are well-equipped already for life on the ground, able to walk & run, knowing instinctively how to eat, also how to swim. Dad watches over the family, ready to warn away intruders & to fight them if necessary, while Mother Goose enjoys swimming, drinking water, & bathing after her long duties.

The family enjoys the pond. Meanwhile, back at the nest tree, the starling begins to sing a wonderful song. It starts out with an imitaion of a red-tailed hawk, & it includes baaa-ing like a sheep, also barking like a coyote. Starlings are great mimics! The video cuts back to find the starling, who is very happy, as now it can raid the goose nest for twigs for its own nest in the tree cavity. Besides, now there are eggshells, a good source of calcium.

The goslings follow Mother Goose across the pond. Dad takes up rear guard position. A lovely white egret is on the shore on that side. At the nest tree near the microphone, a woodpecker is loudly hammering on the tree.

Kitty KCMO

Return to “Camera Links”