Wildlife Cameras that are really good

Links to other wildlife cameras around the world.
Kitty KCMO

Re: Wildlife Cameras that are really good

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The happy starling is busy taking twigs out of the goose nest platform for its own use. It is so cute the way it scrambles along the edge of the nest platform & into its own nest cavity with a twig.

Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Cool that since we got to watch them for such a short time that we got to see them walk to the pond. I have seen videos of ducks jumping and I remember them as taking a little more coaxing. One of these seemed like it was ready to go before mom flew.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I hear shooting from the goose cam for the last hour. :cry: .... :rant:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/clo ... tail-hawks
I hope Mother and Pa goose are alright. :unsure: There isn't a soul to be seen. :help:
I hope Kitty has news from there ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

macdoum wrote:I hear shooting from the goose cam for the last hour. :cry: .... :rant:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/clo ... tail-hawks
I hope Mother and Pa goose are alright. :unsure: There isn't a soul to be seen. :help:
I hope Kitty has news from there ?
I doubt it was gun shots, Macdoum-- it sounds like there is a celebration going on there so you might have heard fireworks (although it sounds a bit odd to me on Easter Sunday, but people do odd things). Here is some information about the place:

"About Eaglecrest: Founded in 1992, Eaglecrest is a 200-acre private estate named for the Bald and Golden eagles that live there. Eaglecrest provides a home for many different kinds of wildlife, including owls, deer, coyotes, mountain lions, racoons, opposums, skunks, rattlesnakes, gopher snakes, king snakes, water snakes, leopard lizards, blue bellied lizards, and skinks.

David McDonald, Eaglecrest's founder, has a deep and abiding interest in wildlife. In addition to preserving ponds and wild spaces on his estate, he and his staff work with Fresno Wildlife Rehabilitation to treat, rehabilitate and return injured and ill birds of prey to the wild. To date, Eaglecrest has rehabilitated Red-tailed hawks, Cooper's hawks, Red-shouldered hawks, Swainson's hawks, Great horned owls, and a Golden eagle. The Eaglecrest rehabilation center includes a 20x30 flight cage and mews. A local hatchery provides day-old chicks, augmented with squirrels caught by the estate's two Black labs, Ralph and Alice.

Mission control is located in the office at Eaglecrest's guest house, and is approximately 330' from the nest tree. The system has four cameras - three in the tree and one on the eaves of the guesthouse. The tree cams include a fixed bullet camera, a fixed IR bullet camera (for night vision), and a PTZ camera, which allows staff to pan the surrounding areas and zoom in on the nest or other wildlife in the tree. In addition to the resident geese, you might see Red-tailed hawks, Coyotes, Red Acorn woodpeckers, a Great Horned owl, Red-shouldered hawks, and Grey squirrels.

We hope you enjoy watching our cam."

By the way, I read a report that a new goose couple is trying to settle into the nest platform, & I just now on cam saw Papa Goose chase the intruder (a goose in the nest, that I saw leave there for the pond). I am impressed by what an intense defender of the turf he is!
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

And here is the goose family on Easter Sunday. It looks like they are dong well. Thanks to Y-tube member priscillash1 for the following video.

Eaglecrest nest, mama goose & family, and panning,8/4/2012

Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Kitty,thank you for all that news. I am sure the bangs I heard came from this cam because I turned off all the others. How come they would have even fireworks as the noise is so bad for the wildlife and nesting birds. :puzzled:
Is there a forum or chat there ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

macdoum wrote:Kitty,thank you for all that news. I am sure the bangs I heard came from this cam because I turned off all the others. How come they would have even fireworks as the noise is so bad for the wildlife and nesting birds. :puzzled:
Is there a forum or chat there ?
There is, I discoverd it just before the goslings hatched. Here is a link to the latest pages (as of right now). They don't say anything about loud sounds on Easter Sunday, but it may be that no one was watching at that particular time (Easter visitors, dinner, & all).

The latest postings are at the last page of the forum, & you must click on the page numbers (rather than "next") to move between pages of the specific forum you are in. There are also forums for other places, like the Decorah nest, I think.
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.p ... .1830.html

The little family is enjoying the mid-day sun on the bank of the pond.

About 13:00 local California time: The little family is enjoying the mid-day sun on the bank of the pond.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The family starts a tour of the pond. In the background, the starling back at the nest microphone begins a beautiful song in which it imitates redtailed hawk, sheep, kildeer, coyote, & more. Amazing the way they can sing. Almost as well as a mockingbird.

About 13:05 local California time

The goose family lands at the pond's opposite shore.

About 13:10 local USA time
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Kitty for all this news,links and videos. :2thumbsup: Taking the time to find out about Sunday night. (there are nasty people around everywhere & everything is possible helas. :cry: )
So,the bird I'm hearing now is the starling ?.... :rotf: I never knew they did those imitations.
I had just been there after googling Eastcrest nests and found this beautiful video entitled "When Geese Nest in trees":
http://goo.gl/DKFXF

Taken in Montana. :2thumbsup:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:loveshower: Thank you, Macdoum! This is wonderful.
Kitty KCMO
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

mms://wms.carnyxlive.co.uk/abernethy
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

And I have discovered there is night time lighting at this cam that Fireblade shared. But the sound is terrible, lots of loud microphone hum. :slap:

And now here is a cam I just discovered at the Cornell Laboratory of Birds in the USA. It is the organization that has the All About Birds web site that I often refer to in finding & sharing info about our American birds. This cam is watching over a Great Blue Heron nest with 4 eggs that are expected to hatch sometime during the last week of April. The cam has color night lighting.

Here is the link I use to get a direct-stream player:
http://www.livestream.com/newchannel/po ... nellherons

Here is my first recording of the cam. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology streams live a Great Blue Heron nest located near Ithica, New York, USA. On this night, the mother heron broods her 4 eggs while she remains very alert & watchful over the moonlit pond. The cam is facing in an easterly direction-- note the moon rising over the trees, & earlier, I saw the constellation (asterism) Orion rising next to it.

There is also a "panoramic cam" that is daylight only looking down onto the nest, here: http://www.livestream.com/newchannel/po ... ellherons2
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Mother heron is still very alert looking over the moonlit pond. She reacts a little to the sound of geese calling in the background & at one point closes her eyes, but quickly opens them again. Her stare into the night is intense & a bit eerie, I think. I don't know if the breeze is lifting her head feathers like that, or if she does this herself all the time. It seems to be a rhythmic behavior of hers.

Correction-- there are 5 eggs. Mom Heron just stood up & turned around so I could see them. Dad Heron is just off-cam on a branch at the right side. You can see his tail feathers flip into view towards the end of the video.

I will try not to clutter up this forum so much with videos of this nest like I did so much with info about the Canada Goose nest in California. I just did not know where else to put that info.

Mom Heron's head crest feathers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Blue Heron is a lovely looking bird Kitty. Too bad,the cam is offline for now. I'll try later. :thumbs:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I'm sorry you missed it. Here is a picure of the eggs I got just a short while ago & a short video of the mother heron looking out over the pond.

5 blue eggs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

About 18:15 local USA time (EDT- east coast)
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I was mistaken in what direction the cam faces. It is actually toward the west, not to the east. Tonight there are no clouds & I see the moon & Orion are actually setting, not rising. The clouds confused me last night as they obscured the moon after I saw it, so I thought the moon had moved up & off the cam.

Mom stands & goes to the end of a branch for a short stretch of her legs. Local USA (EDT) time was 19:25

Something alerted her & she raised her crest. (Note Orion directly over her head & the moon to the right of it.) Local USA (EDT) time was 20:35

Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The eggs are such a pretty blue.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Last night when I was watching the heron nesst, an owl suddenly tried to attack the mom heron. She & Dad reacted immediately, so fast I didn't even see Dad move-- he just sort of appeared on the end of the branch & they chased away the owl. Dad then stood guard for the rest of the night as Mom settled onto the eggs again.

Dad the Defender

An hour od so later-- Mom turned around

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Overview of the pond where the Canada goose family lives. A small ground squirrel is eating in the grass & birds (wren, starling, redwinged blackbird) are singing. Someone is mowing grass at the visitor's center.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

View from above of Mom Heron listening to frog chorus. :rolleyes: It sounds like thousands of them! The sun has set & this cam view does not have infrared light to help with night viewing.

Just the eggs in the dusk as night is coming on.

Mom stands to stretch, scratches her neck, then relieves herself before rolling the eggs & brooding again. A goose protests from below, as if it may have been hit by something. :whistling:

Kitty KCMO

Return to “Camera Links”