Black Stork Nests in Europe

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Solo

Re: Black Stork Nests in Europe

Post by Solo »

baska wrote:... Solo, where did you see the comment of Dariusz A. ? I couldn't find it yet. ...
FB BocianiMy, Darius Anderwald answered to comment Carmen Cortez (https://goo.gl/Qxhdsg)
asteria

Post by asteria »

Pay attention at the last comments from Török Hunor(from yesterday). He said he would check the place:
https://www.facebook.com/BocianiMy/phot ... =3&theater
baska

Post by baska »

asteria wrote:Pay attention at the last comments from Török Hunor(from yesterday). He said he would check the place:
https://www.facebook.com/BocianiMy/phot ... =3&theater
Oh, thank you for the hint, asteria. :2thumbsup:
So he started today with the searching.

I'm anxious to know the result....
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote:Pay attention at the lat comments from Török Hunor(from yesterday). He said he would check the place: https://www.facebook.com/BocianiMy/phot ... =3&theater
asteria, TY

this FB info:
baska

Post by baska »

September 21

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Half an hour ago in BocianiMy: https://www.facebook.com/BocianiMy/phot ... =3&theater

Krótkie życie Zielonego
Niestety potwierdziły się nasze złe przypuszczenia. Nasi koledzy z Węgier, Ádám i Török, strażnicy Parku Narodowego Gór Bukowych (Bükki Nemzeti Park Igazgatóság) z siedzibą w Egerze, dotarli 20 września do szczątek Zielonego, młodego bociana czarnego z nadajnikiem nożnym litewskiej firmy Ornitela. Trwają prace nad ustaleniem przyczyn, ale najpewniej są one naturalne. Prawdopodobnie zmęczony i osłabiony podróżą ptak, który w bezdrzewnej Puszcie spał na ziemi, został w nocy zaskoczony przez jakiegoś drapieżnika. Zielonemu założyliśmy 7 lipca nadajnik w wieku 50 dni jako jednemu z dwóch wyrośniętych piskląt w gnieździe w centrum Polski, z którego była prowadzona transmisja online. Migrację rozpoczął jako ostatni 4 września w wieku około 3,5 miesiąca. Przez 10 dni pokonał ponad 780 km. Wiemy, że leciał w towarzystwie kilkunastu dorosłych bocianów. Zupełnie niespodziewanie 12 września spotkał się na Wielkiej Nizinie Węgierskiej z Białym, rodzeństwem z jednego gniazda. Obecnie Biały znów przebywa w pobliżu Cisy. Zielony był w dobrej kondycji, dwa razy udało się nam go obserwować w terenie i z daleka sfotografować. Mamy nadzieję, że dzięki uprzejmości węgierskich ornitologów, nadajnik wróci do biura projektu BocianMy w Rogowie. Założymy go w przyszłym roku na kolejnego ptaka i … oby miał więcej szczęścia! (Zdjęcie: Török Hunor).

Short Green Life
Unfortunately our misconceptions have been confirmed. Our Hungarian colleagues, Ádám and Török, guards of the Bükki Nemzeti Park Igazgatóság, with headquarters in Eger, arrived on 20 September to the remains of a green young black stork with a foot transmitter of Lithuanian company Ornitel. Work is underway to identify the causes, but they are most likely natural. Probably tired and weakened by the journey, the bird, who had been sleeping on the ground in a wooded desert, had been surprised by a predator in the night. On July 7 we set up a transmitter at the age of 50 days as one of the two grown chicks in a nest in the center of Poland, from which the online transmission. The migration began last September 4 at approximately 3.5 months. Over 10 days he has overcome over 780 km. We know that he was accompanied by a dozen or so adult storks. Quite unexpectedly, September 12 met on the Great Plain of the White Plains, siblings from one nest. Now White is staying again near Tisza. Green was in good shape, twice we managed to observe him in the field and photographed from afar. We hope that thanks to courtesy of Hungarian ornithologists, the transmitter will return to the BocianMy project in Rogów. We will set him up next year for another bird and ... he would have been happier! (Photo: Török Hunor).

I am inconsolable :cry: :cry: poor Malwin.
Why did he leave the other storks ?????
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
baska

Post by baska »

And these pictures are burnt in my brain :

They were so brave ! Image ...... :cry:
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
asteria

Post by asteria »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Very sad.
Sue

Post by Sue »

Hello Baska, Solo and asteria, thanks a lot for all your information :cry: Poor Malwin, I am very sad.

Perhaps he was the youngest of the group and their tempo was too much for him? Or it was just unfortunate accident that the predator caught just him. But at least it was caused by nature and not by a human. But it is only a small consolation.

Baska, thanks for the reminding photos, they were so lovely and brave! It is very touching.

I very much hope that Woodek will be doing well :2thumbsup: :bow:

:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Sue wrote:... Poor Malwin, I am very sad. Perhaps he was the youngest of the group and their tempo was too much for him? Or it was just unfortunate accident that the predator caught just him. But at least it was caused by nature and not by a human. But it is only a small consolation. ... I very much hope that Woodek will be doing well :2thumbsup: :bow: ...
:hi: all together,
I feel and think how you Sue (the later time to migration with adults has often this end, but how know what happend :bow: )
source:FB BocianiMy https://goo.gl/HAFKih (21.9.2017, 15:03) :cry:
asteria

Post by asteria »

The only "consolation" is that Malwin at least was not killed by his parents like the fourth chicks of Tobias and Karl, not taken by that dumb hawk like his five siblings, that he fledged and flew, that he lived 3.5 months. But in fact it is not consolation at all.

BTW, who is MŁODSZY?
baska

Post by baska »

Solo wrote:I feel and think how you Sue (the later time to migration with adults has often this end, but who know what happend :bow:
Solo, the later time to migration with adults has often this end ???

Sue : "I very much hope that Woodek will be doing well" - So do I !

I always must think of his last visit on the nest. He didn't feel well. He was coughing.
Perhaps it was no good for him to leave with a cold. (he left the same day, remember). It might have been too exhausting for him ...
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: ... BTW, who is MŁODSZY?
storklet from last year - Poland/Lodz
we saw later the nest with 2 chicks, they becam transmitter - OLDER (also name for the storklet) was shot in Turkey (Europe site) and the YOUNGER (MŁODSZY - also the name for the storklet) is still in Turkey on summer vacation
Solo

Post by Solo »

baska wrote:Solo, the later time to migration with adults has often this end ???
I always must think of his last visit on the nest. He didn't feel well. He was coughing. Perhaps it was no good for him to leave with a cold. (he left the same day, remember). It might have been too exhausting for him ...
I read it - the first year storklets fly in another "way of migration" - tempo, distance, breaks, ... how the adult birds, and also these young storklets have not good position in flock, .... (if I remember correctly)
Probably also Malwin's ill health have share of this end :bow:
Sue

Post by Sue »

Baska, you are right, now I remember his last day - it could be the reason or one of reasons :cry: .

Solo, thanks for the info. They have so difficult life. And when the youngs start to migrate earlier: is their group from more storklets and the tempo is easier?
baska

Post by baska »

Solo wrote:I read it - the first year storklets fly in another "way of migration" - tempo, distance, breaks, ... how the adult birds, and also these young storklets have not good position in flock, .... (if I remember correctly)
Probably also Malwin's ill health have share of this end :bow:
I didn't read that yet, but that sounds logical. Of course ... adults are more experienced with their aeronautics and know to save better their energy.
That is why they don't need so many breaks. And as they were not the parents, they didn't take care for him so much.
That was too stressful for our little Malwin, who was already weakened. :cry: :cry: :cry:
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Anna_

Post by Anna_ »

Oh no I was still hoping so much that Malwin had just lost his transmitter!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:
asteria

Post by asteria »

:wave: to all!

AFAIK there was not a single case when a tagged bird lost its transmitter. When a transmitter stops sending signals, it may mean that it has low battery or broken while the bird is OK(Piret and many, many others), but when it works sending signals from the same place it is the worst sign.

I thought black storks flew alone and sometimes meet together. Priidupoeg and Raivopoeg in 2008 were alone, both used wrong directions(Saudi Arabia and Finland) and finally died, when they were with other storks, they wouldn't lose the way. Mid was also alone.
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: ... I thought black storks flew alone and sometimes meet together. Priidupoeg and Raivopoeg in 2008 were alone, both used wrong directions(Saudi Arabia and Finland) and finally died, when they were with other storks, they wouldn't lose the way. Mid was also alone.
" ... travel in small groups during migration, and may form groups of up to 30 individuals on its wintering grounds ..." (source: http://www.arkive.org/black-stork/ciconia-nigra/)

asteria, pls., where is the information, that P. and R. and M. were alone? (rarely did it happen)
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

This is so sad. Hopefully, he did not suffer long. It happens so often, we do not know how many birds do not survive the first flight into the migration. Many have no transmitter and no ring.

Return to “Black Storks”