White-tailed Eagles Discussion ~ 2010 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Mutikluti

Re: White Tailed Eagles Discussion 2010

Post by Mutikluti »

Mom on the branch and eaglets alone in the nest...

Look how quick are growing wings feathers...

Linda brought one twig in the nest...
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Sulev brought a fish and Linda feeded eaglets...

Kristi

Post by Kristi »

mei2k wrote:Oh, they are huge! Again I missed a good part. Being an 'owl' i find more convenient watching owls at night :unsure:
Thank you for your posts, photos and videos!
Yes, mei2k, but I have noticed, that in the owls-cam forum is too much OT :slap:
But here is lot of information and pictures about WTE-s :wave: Much better to get overview :2thumbsup:
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

okay so i am back again... and i just want to ask you Ame that is there some pictures where we could see that was Linda more on the nest last year than this year? I am sorry if this has already been answered or already been done. Because i don't feel like reading through 10+ pages of posts :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

jürka wrote:okay so i am back again... and i just want to ask you Ame that is there some pictures where we could see that was Linda more on the nest last year than this year? I am sorry if this has already been answered or already been done. Because i don't feel like reading through 10+ pages of posts :whistling:
there are similar Pontu-pictures as this year but they are in some archives and not available in the internet at the moment. i don't know what the name Pontu stands for..? i think it is the same camera that both sends the video stream and takes and stores a still picture once a minute.
the addresses this year look like this: http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-03-04 ... -06-50.jpg
here in the address you first select the date, which is there twice, and then you select the time which in the above is -06-50, that is 6.50 in the morning.

Jo promised to e-mail Urmas Lett who is in charge of the Pontu-archives and ask him to make last season's Pontu pictures available to us. that was already almost two weeks ago and we haven't received a reply yet, i guess.... :unsure:

anyways, if we get to see the Pontu-pictures of last season then there'll be a LOT and tedious to do! reading through 10 forum pages will be child's play compared to that... :mrgreen: besides we'll have to do that, too, read through last season's proceedings. :nod:

if you feel like starting that you should makes notes as you read (writing down in English and with the computer spares some effort but i used scrappy pieces of paper in Finnish; i wasn't farsighted enough to think about sharing the data by e-mail :slap: ). write down first the date and after that the time of observed change of incubation turn (either the time when the message was posted or the time of the change written in the post; mark which time it was. Mutikluti always gives the time of the picture, which is not always shown in the pictures. the actual time is better because it always takes some time before you get the message written and posted, they are always a bit late from the actual events.) then write down which way the change was, like "S in, L out" meaning Sulev came in first and then Linda left, or "L out, S in" meaning Linda left before Sulev came. then you can also write down additional data, for example what kind of things the eagles brought together with them to the nest. especially the food gifts are important: who brings fish to whom (usually it's Sulev who brings fish to Linda, but at least once this spring L brought a fish with her when she came and ate it herself while Sulev was watching at her, still incubating.) also weather data is useful: rain/no rain, sunshine etc.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ame, you are right - I did not get a reply.
ame

Post by ame »

Jo, that is a shame! i'm afraid that without last season's Pontu pictures our efforts would be futile... :slap: at least this spring there would have been serious gaps in the data without the Pontu pictures. they were quite essential. :nod:

do you know any way to 'force' Urmas L. to answer? or is that a too strong word? 'persuade'? :mrgreen: at least to say 'no'...?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As I know that anyone associated with Looduskalender is a volunteer, I don't know how to exert the right kind of pressure! But maybe Renno and Urmas could have some influence on the outcome, now that there is a serious research matter to be investigated. I will ask those two friends if they think they can help with this.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Sulev brought a fish. Linda was not at home and Sulev used the opportunity to feed his eaglets. :D

Linda returned at 10.16. She watched few minutes how Sulev feeds eaglets and then took over feeding...

Mew

Post by Mew »

mei2k wrote:Oh, they are huge! Again I missed a good part. Being an 'owl' i find more convenient watching owls at night :unsure:
Thank you for your posts, photos and videos!
Similarly for me. And I SHOULD be working (at home) during the day. Wonderful records, thanks to all!
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Who are interested about last year life in this nest then you can see about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=79

There are all the details of everything that took place in the nest.
Mew

Post by Mew »

kvahtra wrote: Yes, mei2k, but I have noticed, that in the owls-cam forum is too much OT :slap:
But here is lot of information and pictures about WTE-s :wave: Much better to get overview :2thumbsup:
Kvahtra, I am not sure what 'OT' is, but I suspect that I agree with you. I find it off-putting when long tracts appear, with arguments backed up by Wikipedia. Details recorded on the WTE are excellent and the data could provide the foundation for further, serious research. Please keep it up, Ame!
visitor

Post by visitor »

Mew wrote: Kvahtra, I am not sure what 'OT' is, but ...
Maybe OT means off-topic? :puzzled:
a storkaholic
Mew

Post by Mew »

visitor wrote: Maybe OT means off-topic? :puzzled:
Yes - of course! You are much better at abbreviating English than I am. Thanks.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Sulev brought a HUGE fish. Linda was not at home and Sulev feeded eaglets itself. :D

Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

Ame... MutiKluti is right! There still are pictures. I did check it earlyer today but there are'nt any pictures in the start so i thought there vould'nt be any pictures... And then i did think that even if there vould'nt be any pictures we still can do it by reading the posts. But there are pictures... so i guess we could start looking at how the daylight breeding time is divided by Sulev and Linda. :smile:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Mew wrote: Kvahtra, I am not sure what 'OT' is, but I suspect that I agree with you. I find it off-putting when long tracts appear, with arguments backed up by Wikipedia. Details recorded on the WTE are excellent and the data could provide the foundation for further, serious research. Please keep it up, Ame!
My understanding of the abbreviation OT is that it means "Over the Top", suggesting a state of too much
Often it means too much sentiment or anger or whatever the reaction is.
ame

Post by ame »

jürka wrote:Ame... MutiKluti is right! There still are pictures. I did check it earlyer today but there are'nt any pictures in the start so i thought there vould'nt be any pictures... And then i did think that even if there vould'nt be any pictures we still can do it by reading the posts. But there are pictures... so i guess we could start looking at how the daylight breeding time is divided by Sulev and Linda. :smile:
the earlier pictures are missing in last year's discussion because the pictures were there as attachments in the post. then eventually there were too many of them compared to the capacity of the LK-server computer which collapsed as a result of overload and all the pictures posted so far were lost! :faint:
since then we have had to use some photo-hosting service and attach links to the pictures in our posts. that's when there begin to be pictures again later in the season.

any way, despite there are pictures in the last year's discussion i'm afraid that there will be enough... Pontu pictures are an independent, reliable and steady source of information. it was there recording pictures (almost! i found some pictures were missing but very few.) every minute during the daylight time even though we were sleeping or at school or at work or otherwise not there watching. i think that Pontu pictures would be quite essential to find out without any gaps who was where and at what time. at least i had to look at this spring's Pontu-pictures to fill in the gaps that were left after i had studied all the posts in the LK-forum.

so please Urmas Lett (or Urmas N. or Renno S.): if you happen to read this, please make the last season's WTE nest Pontu pictures available again! :bow:
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Sulev brought a fish again. Linda pushed Sulev out from the nest and ate a little...Eaglets got food too but seams that they were not very hungry...

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”