White-tailed Eagles Discussion ~ 2010 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Mew

Re: White Tailed Eagles Discussion 2010

Post by Mew »

Thanks, Fireblade! Great that you recorded them as being back for two and a half hours, I think?
ame

Post by ame »

it seem that the early bird today had a slightly lighter tail than the later. i had a look at today's Pontu pictures. have a look:
early the first eaglet at 14.28 (two minutes after the arrival):
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-09-02 ... -14-28.jpg
and at 16.18
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-09-02 ... -16-18.jpg
(i'm sorry, the pictures are so huge that i can't post direct links....
at 16.46 the latter eaglet took off:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-09-02 ... -16-46.jpg
so it was 2hours and 18 min that they spent at the nest altogether, with the first arriving earlier and the latter leaving later.
right now there is the strong sound of the wind in the picht black darkness... i'll be :offtobed: ... good night!
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you for sharing your observations, fireblade! :D

And hi Mew, nice to "see" you again! :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

it's a very windy morning! :shock: and it may be raining too, but i'm not sure about it...
i guess there'll be lots of breaks in the transmission today. there usually are when it is this windy... :unsure:
PS: no-one home. 8-)
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

opened around 9 cam.-time.

it is a windy and rainy day, the lens on cam. is wet - and nobody there.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

a picture from yesterday evening - 20100902 - 21:17
is there a village a bit far away on the left side? because of the wind the trees were moving and one saw some lights.
ame

Post by ame »

Bleggi, i think that the light there is the last glimpse of the daylight that lingers in the NW over the tree tops.
here's a picture i took on Aug 23rd at 21.55 for comparison. it was almost two weeks ago when the Sun set later than now: (it's the background picture on my lap-top's desktop :rolleyes: )
here there's still more light in the sky even though it was later, and you can see that it's the brightest in the same direction as there is light left in your picture. that's the Sun waving "good night". :rolleyes:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

no sound of wind, no eagles, very silent - - - no camera

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
vaino

Post by vaino »

b.h-p wrote:4.9.

no sound of wind, no eagles, very silent - - - no camera
Yes, what is happening? End of eagle season ?
ame

Post by ame »

the camera is still down... could it be such a bad weather?
i had a quick look at yesterday's Pontu pictures to see what it looked like every half an hour. here's the last one:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-09-03 ... -20-37.jpg
Pontu camera seems to turn off with a light switch. the day before, on the 2nd, the last picture was taken 20 min later as it was a sunny evening.

yesterday it seemed to have been raining most of the day. there were a lot of pictures with unfocused spots in the picture here and there. i suppose raindrops were splashing directly on the lens which would be great: the bird poop washes away and we get a clearer picture. (hopefully the picture returns! :shock: or is it gone for the season? Urmas, Renno :hi: : how long will it be on?? )

as a reminder about how to see the Pontu pictures: (now that the eagles have left the nest and we are not constantly on guard i guess that there will be more use for Pontu pics) the Pontu camera takes a still photograph once a minute and they can be found in the internet in addresses like the above, starting on June 1st 2010. more pictures from this summer period can be seen when you edit the address. first make a bookmark of the above address. (i've named it Pontu summer 2010.) it shows you the last picture taken yesterday.

pictures from the spring time (Jan 25th - May 31st) are also available for us to see (THANK YOU, Urmas Lett! :wave: ) the address is different and you can begin here:
http://193.40.133.138/2010/2010-01-25/2 ... -16-23.jpg
last season's (2009) pictures can be found in the address below here (again thank you Urmas L.):
http://193.40.133.138/2009/saunja-2009-03-05-14-35.jpg
i think these two above are the first pictures taken on each season. the format of the picture address is a bit simpler in last year's pictures.

this year (2010) in the address the date is given twice in 'year-mm-dd'-format. mm is month as 09 is for September, and dd day was 03 = 3rd yesterday. the date must be the same in both places, like this:
*ttp://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2010-09-03/2010-09-03-20-37.jpg

in the end of the address there's the time hh-min given in the 24-hour system, like in the above hh-min = 20-37 = 8.38 pm = 20.37.

last year's addresses require a bit less editing as the date is there only once: 'year-mm-dd-hh-min', like in 2009-03-05-14-35 in the above, meaning March (03) 5th (05) at 14.35 = 2.35 pm. change the date and time to see different pictures. (the shift from 24-hour-scale to am-pm-format requires subtraction of 12 after noon 12 o'clock, and addition of 12 in the reverse shift. it's not so difficult: first subtract 10 and then 2 more...)

some pictures may be missing because of transmission or other failures, but if (instead of seeing a picture of the nest with our eagles) you see the text "Not found" after you give a new addres it's best to check the address very carefully: the date has to be the same in both places and all the dots, dashes and hyphens in their proper places, otherwise it fails.

about the name "Pontu" i don't know where that comes from. :puzzled: the pictures are provided in the internet by eenet.ee but i haven't tried to find out more about it... maybe someone more educated could shed more light on this.. :help:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Thanks, ame, for telling that puntopics from the first half of the season etc. are available - that might perhaps be usefull to know :thumbs:

I think the cam. is down now due to the rain yesterday and the problems that previously showed up after rain. - Then there is nothing else to do than check further on.
It make no sense if connection on purpose is cut of already because my impression is that last year Sulli and Kluti more often came to nest until the middle of September than seen lately with Teele and Timmu.

Mew

Post by Mew »

Ohhhh. Just when I have managed to look during Estonian daylight hours again, no camera............. :cry:
ame

Post by ame »

both the live and the Pontu camera have been off-line today all day. :faint: :unsure:
is the season over? how was it last year?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ame, if the webcam is off, then Pontu can't store any images, I think?
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you for your Pontu-explanation, Ame! Very useful. :bow:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

still no camera = no eagles :cry: - - - -but even if cam. worked there would be no guarentee for eagles either :puzzled:

But I don´t think it´s turned of on purpose - last years cam. was on as long as 2/3 of October too, until it was stopped as far as I can see. - So I wait for camera is dry enough to send pictures again and do not hope it´ll bee in vain 8-)

Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

no camera :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

Jo UK wrote:Ame, if the webcam is off, then Pontu can't store any images, I think?
i don't know how much inter-linked the operation of the cameras is...? it has seemed that the live camera has been on still in complete darkness recently but the Pontu camera has stopped working before that. like the evening picture that i posted up there: it was taken at 21.55 in the last glow of the sunset but there's no Pontu picture recorded at that time.

on the other hand, if there is something wrong in the transmission of the data, then both pictures will be missing, because i guess they must use the same transmission equipment (i don't know this for sure, but that's a reasonable guess i think: why should there be an expensive duplicate system?). i also guess that the Pontu pics are transmitted right away and stored somewhere away from the nest.

could someone from the "technical" side tell us more about the Pontu cam? does anyone know someone who knows more? :help:
there's some information about the camera systems on Eagle camera news-pages (Kotkakaamera uutised), in the very beginning there, but i haven't found any information about the Pontu camera. :dunno:

i think it would be interesting to know more about the technical side of the Eagle cams (and all the other cams, too; i suppose the systems are rather similar in different places). could we have an interview about these things for example in the Technical questions-department? that would give us some entertainment in the darkening autumn evenings as the eagles are gone and the seal beach camera is the only other cam so far...
ame

Post by ame »

b.h-p wrote:5.9.......
But I don´t think it´s turned of on purpose - last years cam. was on as long as 2/3 of October too, until it was stopped as far as I can see. - So I wait for camera is dry enough to send pictures again and do not hope it´ll bee in vain 8-)
yes, i think there's something wrong on the technical side, the antenna or something else is broken by the storm. connection and disconnection of the camera is done by someone actually going there on the spot. i don't think anyone went there in the middle of the night to turn of the camera. 8-)

i would like to listen to the wind in the forest... that would be nice even without the eagles... :rolleyes:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Where Lucy captured great eagle fly by --- after my cam transmission gave up the ghost.

again :offtobed:
after I find Small

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”