White-tailed Sea Eagle Questions

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: White-tailed Sea Eagle Questions

Post by ame »

a further question (originally on 12 Apr 2013, 08:24, viewtopic.php?p=218031#p218031):
what is the size of a WTE territory where no other eagles or BS can live? the distance between Linda's and Sulev's present and old nest is about 1.5 km and i suppose that's almost in one and the same territory.
is a WTE-territory about 3 km in diameter? (on the average; 3 km-diameter would be about 30 km-square) or 10 km (300 km-square)? 10 km to the edge of hunting ground and back doesn't sound too much. (30 km feels too large even for a good flier; that would mean about 1000 km-square).
IREN-

Post by IREN- »

Linda and Sulev how many years in couple? How many at them was nests and baby birds? Thanks!
ame

Post by ame »

Linda's and Sulev's old nest was found in 2005, and they bred there till 2010. the web camera was set up at the nest in 2009 for the first time. that year they raised two eaglets who were named Sulli and Kluti. next year they raised two eaglets again: Teele and Timmu.

in 2011 Linda and Sulev visited the nest a few times in the early spring when the camera started but then they disappeared. no-one knows where they went. Urmas and Renno believe they skipped breeding that year. (i have a suspicion that Linda and Sulev fooled us: they went to the new nest and bred there in all secrecy without anyone knowing... but this just a guess. :innocent: )

in 2012 Renno found their new nest, the one that we are watching now on the web camera. then they got three chicks, but one of them Urmas and Renno found dead under the nest, when they went to the nest to ring the eaglets. the two other eaglets fledged successfully.

the female of the pair has been Linda all these years. she has been identified by her rings every year. about the male we can't know 100%-certain because he has no rings. to me his tail looks the same as in 2010, when i began to watch then "seriously".
IREN-

Post by IREN- »

I have two questions - excuse for a nadoyedlivost... ! If something happens to one bird during a nest, whether is capable to bring up one baby birds (father)? Whether observers help to rescue if necessary somebody in a nest?
ame

Post by ame »

this question was discussed earlier in the WTE-nest forum on Mar 18th 2013. on that morning Linda had left the nest before the camera had started. she had covered the eggs carefully with hay before leaving. that made us think that there hadn't been anything dangerous that had scared her away. Sulev came home in the morning and stayed incubating faithfully till Linda returned in the afternoon.

i am by no means an expert to answer. still i think that my answer is valid. i have copied the question and answer from here:
viewtopic.php?p=211701#p211701
Chimega wrote:... if something happens to Linda, what will happen to the eggs? or if she doesn't show up, will someone go look for her? poor Urmas... :slap:
ame wrote:both parents are needed for the eaglets to be raised successfully. there are no single parents in the eagle world.

the policy with theses cameras is not to interfere with the life of birds in any other way than ringing the chicks. last summer an exception was made at the black storks' nest when the storklet with injured beak was fetched from the nest for inspection.

in real life i don't know what would be done if one of the parents would disappear here... would Urmas and Renno have the heart to leave eaglets to certain death? i hope that this question will never come up here.
Urmas & Renno :hi:
please correct me if have have given wrong answers here!
ame

Post by ame »

i have tried to find information about the ring codes which Sulli and Kluti got but so far i haven't succeeded. i think i saw someting like B4something (65?) in some pictures. Pontu pictures were taken so far from the nest in 2009 that they can't help

Renno :hi:
what were the codes that Sulli and Kluti got on their rings?

Teele is C525 and Timmu is C526.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Hi! I have a question. Today 17:27 in the nest lie the remains. This brought Sulev today for lunch. Whose remains can lie in the nest? Sorry for bad English. Thank you.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Remains maybe can be there until eaten.

i've copied the picture and video in this mail here:
viewtopic.php?p=233125#p233125
ame
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Hi! Sorry for the strange question - can it be that the second egg Linda not viable because Linda in old age?
ame

Post by ame »

hi Gavril! :hi:
i think you wanted to know what animal it was whose remains were on the nest. usually Sulev brings fish but sometimes some waterbirds. usually they can not be seen clearly enough to identify the species. i think sometimes Sulev has captured a coot (Fulica atra) and sometimes maybe mallards (Anas platyrhynchos). these birds were seen so poorly that it is impossible to say for certain.

Linda should still be in good condition for breeding. much older female WTEs are known to breed successfully. the age should not be the reason for the failure of two eggs.

one morning (April 4th) Linda left the nest when two eggs were in the nest. some people thought that the 2 first eggs were frozen then. the third egg came after this day. however the second egg must be the egg which produced the chick because the hatching time fits. so the reason for failure is probably not Linda's trip away from the nest one morning.

in the end no-one can say why 2 eggs failed. one broke and one did not hatch.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Thank you, AME for the quick reply! When I saw the large remains in the nest of Linda and Sulev, I thought that it was the remains of mammals. Yes, I understand that the remains of the coot Fulica atra too large. I am pleased that Linda can give more and more healthy offspring. Linda and Sulev a wonderful family! Thanks again for the reply. Sorry for bad English.
Mila

Post by Mila »

Hi ame :hi:
I noticed that Linda and Sulev never "talk" to the little one, not even a noise....!?
I mean, their communication is rare as well, a few low whistles, a few glances and tender contingencies during incubation, except from very loud calls, of course.

The little one is offered food just infront of its beak, while it is chirping loud all the time,
without getting an answer, and is forced by the beak of his parents, to follow their wishes, to go to sleep, for instance, all silently.

They are supposed to have an earth-magnetic sense, if they use the earth-magnetic field for flight-orientation, like bats.
Could you imagine, that they might use high-frequency noises too, for communication, which we are not able to hear?
A strange passion is moving in my head, my heart has become a bird which searches in the sky.
Rumi
ame

Post by ame »

now you posed some really trickky questions, Mila. i don't think i have answers for them but i'll try to think of something...

i think that the feeding process must be very primitive and straightforward: the chick chirps and pokes the parents beak and as response to this stimulus the parent gives food or rather actually offers food somewhere near the chick's beak. then the chick grabs the foof if it can. that action-reaction must be very ancient and maybe does not need any voices from the parents i think. (i think that there is of course no really scientifically water-proof studies on this). some classic experimets have been performed on this behaviour with gulls: a gull-chick sees the red spot in the parent's beak, begins to beg and the parent will give food. any pointy object with a red spot on the tip will produce the begging behaviour (even a pencil with red tip).

about the magnetic sense: if i remember right magnetic crystals have been found in the brains of homing pidgeons but i'm not sure in what other birds. it is believed that these magnetic chrystals have something to do with orientation during migration, but i'm not sure either how well proven this is, and i have no idea if these chrystals have been found in the brains of WTEs.

the last comment you wrote is really interesting and it has never crossed my mind! do eagles have ultra-sound communication like bats? that is: in so high frequencies that we would not be able to hear? or the opposite extreme: infrasounds which are in so low frequencies that we could not hear them either? my instinctive answer is that they probably don't hear infrasounds (like elephants do as BIG animals). i have a layperson's opinion or feeling (or what ever) that the hearing of birds is rather similar to what we humans have (at least in the lower frequency band).

i think that the WTEs might have nearly the same hearing and voices as us humans. let me give some reasoning for this. the average frequency of sound which is produced in the sound organs of an organism (a human, bird, cat or a cow or what ever) corresponds to the length of the vocal cords of the animal: the bigger the animal is, the bigger and longer the vocal cords are and thus the lower the frequency which these vocal cords can produce. lower frequency means in other words a lower pitch, "alto" and "bass" voices, of the voices which are produced in the voice organs. this is why Linda who is bigger of the two eagles sings an "alto" or "mezzo-soprano" and Sulev (the smaller of them) sings a "tenor".

i have a feeling that Linda and Sulev communicate mostly with looks, that is with visual contact. they can see each other from extensive distancies. :nod:
ame

Post by ame »

i have a question concerning the anatomy of a bird chick. this picture was taken on May 10th at 21:26 when the chick relieved itself after feeding. the anus can be seen quite well with the excrement ejecting out.
my question is what is the other seemingly featherless oblong area in the lower abdomen of the chick? it's light and below the anus in this picture.

can there be left some mark of the opening in the stomach though which the rest of the egg-yolk was absorbed inside the stomach just before hatching? i have thought that it might leave some kind of a mark or scar on the skin of the chick, something which would correspond to the navel in mammals... :puzzled:

i found a picture of a developing chick inside the egg. vitellus is latin for egg-yolk and it is connected to the chick's stomach. the chick gets nourishment from the yolk though this channel.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I'm pretty sure that's the navel :)
ame

Post by ame »

if you have questions concerning a nest camera where nesting is presently going on please go to that topic and check what is going on there.
the freshest news will always be found there, not here. general information about that nest will be found on the first page of the topic.
Felis silvestris wrote:The cam Ame mentions above is in Latvia, everything you want to know about it you can find in the topic for it ... Go to the first page for all important information (this applies to all camera topics here)
If you ask about Linda and Sulev - there is no camera and will be not. It seems this eagle couple gets disturbed by the camera very easily and changes the nest if one is fixed there.
if you see the text "Stream not found" when you try to open a camera then that camera is off-line for some reason. usually we don't know why. the most probable reasons are that the camera is switched off for the night-time or the battery has run out of power due to some reason. also this information (or lack of it) can be best found in the topic.
Felis silvestris wrote:May I add that we have a general topic for such things (camera malfunctions)? We can't post there each time a cam goes off for a shorter or longer time, but questions can be put there and somebody from the team will see and answer to it.

You find it here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=606

this topic is meant for questions concerning WTEs in general.
in the future questions about specific on-going nestings will not be answered here and the questions will be removed from here.

thank you for your co-operation. :wave:
bielikoholik

Post by bielikoholik »

:wave:
I have a question.
Whether it is known, or Sulev and Linda became parents this year?
Something should already be it is known....

I am waiting impatiently for photographs or the information!
Greeting from Poland :-)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

We have to wait and see if Renno got the time to check on their new nest and also finds the time to let us know here. So far we have not heard anything, though.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
bielikoholik

Post by bielikoholik »

:hi:
I welcome, it is then again I

I have two questions.
1) Are you planning the broadcast of winter feeding eagles in this season?
2) We can count to the broadcast of the nest of white-tailed eagles in Estonia in 2016 (apart from Robert and Durbe nest)?

Greeting from Poland :-)
ame

Post by ame »

hello bielikoholik! :hi:
we haven't heard anything about the eagles' winter feeding camera. i think that there will be none. if there were a good place for it in Estonia the eagle people would have started the feeding again already last winter. on the other hand, the eagles are finding clean food in nature so these feeding places have become unnecessary. the feeding program for example in Finland was stopped years ago.

about Linda and Sulev in Estonia or any Estonian nest camera we also have no information. Linda seemed to be sensitive to the camera and it was decided after 2013 that they should be left breeding by themselves, without camera. but who knows if Urmas and Renno will find another WTE couple in Estonia whose breeding we can follow. :rolleyes:
but as i said: we have no information yet. even Durbe and Robert are questionable. :slap:
maybe you have read about it today: they seem to be renovating their old nest. in the end it comes down to a lottery: which nest will they choose and will Janis and his team choose the same nest. :laugh:
so far there are a lot of unanswered questions. :D

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”