Names for WTEagles

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Names for WTEagles

Post by ame »

This topic is for making proposals and voting for names of WTEagles, both adults and young.

In 2016 the sponsor of the Estonian WTE nest camera is ETS NORD AS. They, as a godparent company, were asked to give a name for the oldest chick. They have decided to name the oldest Nord, a name which needs no further explanations. :D

Mutikluti has been for years the godmother of Estonian eaglets and she has named the youngest of the eaglets Taibu. She has explained that she derived this name from Estonian words taiplik and tark which mean clever or smart. I think this is a very good name for an eagle. :thumbs:

The rest of us forum members may choose a name for the middle eaglet. First we need some suggestions for the name and then we shall vote for the name.

The name should be relatively short and simple to write for all of us. Therefore the name should not have more than 3 syllables (preferably only 2). It should also not contain any special characters but only 'normal' Latin letters with no accents or dots or hooks etc.
As we don't know the sex of any of the eaglets please make suggestions which are 'gender-free', i.e. a name which will suit both a female and a male bird.
Please remember that the eagle will have the name as adult, not only as a fluffy downy chick. :rolleyes:

With your suggestion you can give an explanation or a story to motivate your choice for the name if you have one. A good argumentation for the name will promote more people to vote for your suggestion.

I shall keep this topic open for suggestions till next Sunday evening May 15th. Then I shall lock it (at 22:00 EET or camera time) and make a list of suggested names for voting. After I have compiled the list I shall unlock this topic for voting on Monday morning May 23rd till Sunday evening May 29th when I shall lock the topic again at 22:00 EET, and the votes will be counted.

EDIT (May 22): i notice i have made a really silly mistake here. :banghead:
i have skipped one week in my calendar. i meant that we should have the voting from May 16 till May 22 and result ready on May 23.
is it still ok to change?

Each member can give one vote. If you change your opinion later you may vote for another name in a new post. Your last choice will be the one that will be counted.

We have noticed the the forum poll-function doesn't work so I'll have to do the count manually. Therefore I hope that you will not change your minds many times. I also wish that some other member(s) will check the results. I hope to finish counting the votes and checking the count on Tuesday May 31st latest.

please make your suggestions for names!
:thumbs:
BigDee

Post by BigDee »

I suggest Rahu. E2 appears peaceful and calm, maybe even easygoing ;-) in comparision with the siblings.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

BigDee wrote:I suggest Rahu. E2 appears peaceful and calm, maybe even easygoing ;-) in comparision with the siblings.
I agree with Rahu!
This name will be my vote.
(The other names I mentioned further are only suggestions.)
Rahu sounds good to me and E2 is definitely the most peaceful.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

VENTA

Your / His life is quiet flow like a river .
Rita

Post by Rita »

SATU
ame

Post by ame »

Venta is a river which flows in Latvia and Lithuania.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venta_%28river%29

it's also a small city's name in Lithuania.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venta

there's also a river called La Venta in Mexico.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Venta_River

Satu means a 'fairy tale' in Finnish. it's also a Finnish woman's name. :D
Rita

Post by Rita »

I have a Finnish colleague whose name is Satu. I find this name beautiful. Thank you for the explanation of the name.
Kallisto

Post by Kallisto »

Tuuli (breeze in english)

Sulgi (feather in english)

Nokki (beak in english)
sova

Post by sova »

ame wrote:Venta is a river which flows in Latvia and Lithuania.
therefore, I have also selected it
ame

Post by ame »

ame wrote:Venta is a river which flows in Latvia and Lithuania.
sova wrote:therefore, I have also selected it
:puzzled: now i miss the logic... these are Estonian birds in Estonia. :puzzled:
surely there are rivers with suitable names in Estonia, too, if that is what we are looking for. :dunno:

Kallisto, Tuuli is a name of a lesser spotted eagle female whose breeding we have watched in two seasons. therefore this name is reserved. :whistling:
Kallisto

Post by Kallisto »

Kallisto, Tuuli is a name of a lesser spotted eagle female whose breeding we have watched in two seasons. therefore this name is reserved. :whistling:

Ah Ok, I didn't know :-) Thanks
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Here is a Wiki page which shows names of rivers in Estonia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_Estonia
Triin

Post by Triin »

To give some ideas I'll post my favourite names from ETS Nord voting list that didn't make it. You never know 8-)

Kratt - mythological creature who brings treasures to it's master (something like goblin) and also a nickname for a naughty child
Maru - a strong storm or in slang "awesome"
Raju - a strong storm or in slang "awesome"
Kuma - glow
eapclochydd

Post by eapclochydd »

If it's a female: what about Jutta, Uku's daughter and queen of the birds in Estonian Mythology?

Greetings from Bavaria
Eric
sova

Post by sova »

ame wrote: :puzzled: now i miss the logic... these are Estonian birds in Estonia. :puzzled:
surely there are rivers with suitable names in Estonia, too, if that is what we are looking for. :dunno:
This is my mistake :blush: . . . please around excuse. If it has totally mistaken.
How embarrassingly. . . . . :unsure:
constant.gardener

Post by constant.gardener »

First of all: I'm glad to be an official user now, what an interesting forum! :loveshower:

I don't quite know if my proposal is sort of silly or not, I always think of the name "Claude" which is used for men or women as well. Or even an abbreviation "Cloud" which sails along the sky ... like eagles do.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good afternoon! :wave:

My suggestion is: Sapsu
This is the middle chick, the littlest is very brave chick and beats it with it's beak and the same gets this middle chick from another side from the oldest chick. Saps (wipe) from one side and saps (wipe) from another side.
And if this chick will be grown-up then tiiva saps ( wings wipe) and it's gone.

Rahu is not good suggestion: It's funny to think if it will be an adult eagle and ornithologists will meet this eagle and say about it: Rahu (peace) flew away.

From me is SAPSU (from Saunja)
Proud to be a member of SHoW
sova

Post by sova »

Anu
estnisch: der Vorfahre; - the forefather

irisch: Göttin der Flüsse; - Goddess of the rivers
keltisch Mutter der Erde - Mother of the earth
indisch Gottesgeschenk, Segen - God's present, blessing
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

What is the Estonian word for Cloud, please?
constant.gardener

Post by constant.gardener »

Sorry, I don't know since I'm German. I only speak German, English and French.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”