White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

macdoum

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote:I have been looking through the 2009 topic, trying to find the fledge dates. It was probably early July, but we missed it because there was a webcam fault.

I found this, instead - thanks Vaino!

http://www.reporter.ee/2009/07/01/tuult ... -ja-kluti/
:headroll: ...now,if only... :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

March 13th: Good morning! :hi:
the camera turned on at 7.03. it's misty in the forest. some crows are cawing out in the forest...
i checked the clocks, my PC's clock vs. the cam clock, and they are in concordance. seemingly the cam clock was about 15 seconds late, but it takes some for the signal to travel from there to us.
ame

Post by ame »

there were some voices of a crested tit and then a bit later a big tit near the nest but they didn't come in sight.

i checked yeaterday the very first days of 2009 season from the Pontu pictures. two years ago the parents were in the nest already two hours after the tunr-on of the camera which was at 14.35 on March 5th.

then i was able to find evidence of three matings. some were mentioned in the forum notes. once they were caught in action in a Pontu picture. that is a small miracle actually because the mating itself takes no more than about 15 seconds. :whistling:

the matings i found were on March 6th at 7.06, on March 7th at 8.40 and on March 8th at 10.20. naturally there must have been more, but they may have not been seen or have not been mentioned.

i noticed that members were shy in writing about this behaviour and prefered to use chaste euphemisms to report this. 8-)
i don't think that is necessary because this behaviour is perfectly natural (and i think most of us are old enough for this). if one doesn't like to write 'mate' or 'mating' one can write the phrase 'make love' instead.

then i found the first occurrence of an egg in a Pontu picture which was taken on March 11th at 6.57.

on March 10th there was a three-hour-long period in the morning when no-one was in or at the nest. Linda came at 10.53, 8 minutes after Sulev, who left at 11.08. then Linda stayed in the nest all day drooping and drowsing, and she stayed in the nest when the camera turned of at 18.11. in the afternoon she was harassed by the strange intruder eagle for more than an hour. she may have laid the first egg already on March 10th but it wasn't seen.

from March 12th onwards a parent was present in the nest continuously, even though on that day Linda wasn't really lying in the nest all the time. instead she was drooping on the rim of the nest for more than three hours. Sulev was keeping her company, sitting on a branch by the nest for two hours. in the evening Linda was again drooping in the nest, looking somewhat uncomfortable...

in the next days either parent was incubating continuously. the longest observed break between changes was 4 minutes. there was one camera failure on March 26th at 8.01 - 12.18.

the hatched chick was first seen on April 16th at 11.42. that was day number 37 when March 11th is marked day 1. all this is well in accordance with the average incubation time of 38 days when the uncertainties are taken into consideration.
ame

Post by ame »

one milestone in the development of an eaglet is when it learns to stand up. with this i mean standing up for several minutes just for the fun of it. this happens at about the same time with the first wing exercices. the first feet-off wing-excercises follow this after a long time.

the first eaglet was standing for several minutes in a row on May 22nd 2009 which was day number 36 after hatching. here i've marked Apr 17th, the hatching date as day number 1. (it's a bit unlocigal though... ). standing was accompanied with vigorous wing exercise. both eaglets, Sulli and Kluti, were standing at the same time on May 23rd.

of course the eaglets stand and sort of walk long before this for 'going to the toilet'. - btw: i think this is an important milestone, too!
(and now i'm using an euphemism! :slap: :mrgreen: it's feceating or defecating.)

i didn't find exactly the date when 'going to toilet', that is a poop-shot was seen or recorded for the first time. it has been a very popular motif of screenshots though. :mrgreen:

i hope that if we have chicks here this spring members would report when they see a chick stumbling to the rim of the nest to shoot a poop. (please remember the time! :rolleyes: )
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks for this information, ame! :bow: That´s very interesting. I hope we will see them soon at the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

Sulli and Kluti were fighting a lot, with the bigger Sulli often tyrannizing the smaller and obviously younger Kluti. (were they sexed? maybe the bigger Sulli was a girl and Kluti a boy).

Sulli and Kluti were reported fighting on day 6 (Apr 22nd) for the first time. there may have been earlier figths, too. i have a feeling that Timmu and Teele were beak-boxing nearly from day 1. i haven't checked this yet, though...

these fights went on for quite some time and became worse as the chicks (Sulli :whistling: ) became stronger. at one point someone wrote that the fighting is unbearable to watch. later someone wrote that they are not fighting so much any more. towards the end Kluti learnt how to fight back and even started some fights, which wasn't very clever as Sulli finally won. :faint:

the last fight i've found so far is on day 30 (May 16th), but i've marked that with a question mark, because it's in a Pontu picture only, no-one has written about it.

i hope that this season members would report every fighting episode they see. (if we get any boxers this year. please remember the time. :rolleyes: )
maertha :wave:
did you get your VLC working?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Faeces = body waste.
Defaecation - expelling body waster.

The diphthong ae is used in British English but not in US English.
Choose from which side of the Atlantic your spelling derives! :rotf: :rotf:
Both are correct and in common use.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo -- at first I could not even read "Defaecation" and my assistant got so cross when I spell archeology without the extra a you would think it would be no problem to make that transfer.

I remember when the cam was up like this before, the year before last? We saw boars on the ground as they ran past, before the tree was in full leaf.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Good morning all, it looks as if there has been visitors in the nest, the centre is a little bit different.
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote: maertha :wave:
did you get your VLC working?
Yes, thanks, the VLC player works fine. The only problem was that I couldn´t find something like an indicator light for the record function. But it´s like you told me, when the record function is activated, the box around the red button changes its colour from white to a very pale light blue. I had not noticed it until you mentioned it. :slap: :blush:
ame

Post by ame »

alice44 wrote:...I remember when the cam was up like this before, the year before last? We saw boars on the ground as they ran past, before the tree was in full leaf.
that was almost exactly two years ago, on March 11th in the morning at 7.06. the video is somewhere in the news.
all the eagles' nest videos can be found here:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/taxonomy/term/27?page=37
and the pig parade video is almost in the bottom of that list, here: mms://video.eenet.ee/2009/2009-03-11.asf

two years ago the camera was mounted on a branch on our present left at almost right angles, looking towards our preset right.
ame

Post by ame »

jopie wrote:Good morning all, it looks as if there has been visitors in the nest, the centre is a little bit different.
i compared a picture i took two days ago and a new one. i'm afraid that every single twig is in the same place... :unsure: :faint:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Jo UK wrote:Ame, I forwarded your question to Urmas.
I don't know anything about another nest, but we do know that WTEs don't breed every year. Could this be an egg-free year?
Let's hope not.
We don't know other nest of our eagle pair. But it's quite bad feeling to see empty nest... especially after all we made for better transmission.
Audio problems could be caused by decoding or interferences, because from the forest the signal comes very well. That needs to test it from distance.
Another change we made, we changed camera to new one...?

Last time if we visited nest site near the end of Feb, there was single adult visible once, but we had no binoculars to check the rings. Probably there was male. After that some twigs are new in nest, but not much.
ame

Post by ame »

the camera turned off today at 18.30, 9 minutes after the sunset. it was cloudy almost all day.

i saw no-one and nothing new on the nest today. here are some voices that i heard during the course of the day: crested and great tits (i think i wrote about these earlier), gulls, a buzzard before noon and in the afternoon. after 1 pm someone at the farm started working with a grinder (i think) or some other electric power tool; that lasted for a rather long time. at least two dogs were barking from two different distances along the day on several occasions and for different durations. calls of crows were heard on several occasions all through the day plus some calls of jackdaws at about 1 o'clock in the afternoon. last but not least traffic noise all day long could be heard in various intensities, with the sounds of a moped or a motorbike being the loudest in the late afternoon on few occasions.

all those sounds were present last year, too, so they couldn't have scared the eagles away. the nest nest looks so ready for laying an egg. i think that we should remember that last year it was about a week later that Linda laid her first egg. we can't do anything else but to wait and keep our fingers crossed...

after all i think it is a (relatively) good sign that we see no-one at the nest... it was so distressing to watch Padis two years ago at the BS nest, when he was calling for a girl-friend for weeks from the bottom of his heart but in vain, in the most heart-braking way, spending his days in decorating the nest with the bag and the rag.... and in the end no-one came. this time i think that Linda and Sulev are somewhere else but they are together. :nod:
let's hope that they'll turn up here in the end...
beans

Post by beans »

I haven't seen the eagles, either, but I noticed that there are fresh, green branches in the nest. I'll check again, during daylight hours, to see if there are more green branches.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

it's a sad story when they wont turn up :unsure:

really wanted to see them again. I hope though that Urmas will agree to take me to some nests this year aswell despite the exams :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

March 14th: Good morning! :hi:
at 7.03 the cam turned on. no-one there. it looks like a beautiful morning: it's almost sunny.
sounds of traffic from the road can be heard again in the background. some crows have woken up... kraa-kraa... kraa-kraa-kraa.... caw!-caw!-caw!
beans

Post by beans »

Watching the nest... no eagles, and I don't see any changes in the nest since yesterday. Because I'm in California, I won't be able to watch for more than an hour (it's now 10:20 at night). Hope some of you will be able to watch during the daylight hours.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave:
Good morning
This is my latest nest pic from the last year
Think there is more new than only the green twigs
btw I miss this view.
No eagle calls. Only dogs, planes and of course crows from time to time
ame

Post by ame »

11.42 eagle's voice but not from quite near! :loveshower: