White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Lussi05

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by Lussi05 »

Is it a female Mallard?

I do not hope that the right owner of the nest deside to visit now, that would be disastroust for the guest :cry:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Do ducks there nest that high?

Edit, 8:32-- A buzzard called, the mystery visitor ducked down into the nest, now it poked up its head-- it is definitely a DUCK! :shock:
Kitty KCMO
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

We saw the nest of a duck on the ground when we went for a walk in the wood once, but I have never heard of ducks nesting in trees before :puzzled: , if it is a duck, and she is planning to settle down high up in Linda and Sulevs home, I do think it will be a new experience for her :whistling: I have to go to work now - i almost forget the time :blush: - have a nice day everybody, and a good night for those who are going to bed :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

Good morning! :hi:

and good lord: it is a duck! :shock: of some sort, maybe a mallard.

first i thought that you had gone crazy or i'm a very badly wrong channel. :mrgreen:

when did this happen??
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:Good morning! :hi:

and good lord: it is a duck! :shock: of some sort, maybe a mallard.

first i thought that you had gone crazy or i'm a very badly wrong channel. :mrgreen:

when did this happen??
:rotf: Because the cow moved out. LOL!
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

mallards nest almost anywhere in cities, for example in flower pots which can be anywhere from ground level to balconies in high department houses. this is a relatively reasonable place for a duck's nest: it's in the nature. :mrgreen:

she's really making herself comfortable. she seems to be building a hut for herself. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote: :rotf: Because the cow moved out. LOL!
:rotf: :rotf:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Surely this will never work out? We have wood ducks in the USA that nest in trees, but in cavities, not in abandoned nests (at least I have never heard of it).
Kitty KCMO
asteria

Post by asteria »

What is this duck doing here???? Does she think to laid the eggs or just lost her way?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:mallards nest almost anywhere in cities, for example in flower pots which can be anywhere from ground level to balconies in high department houses. this is a relatively reasonable place for a duck's nest: it's in the nature. :mrgreen:

she's really making herself comfortable. she seems to be building a hut for herself. :laugh:
well, then, perhaps it will work out. This will be interesting. But does the drake come & feed her like the eagles, or does he come & sit on the eggs so she can go forage?
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

if the eagles and buzzards will not return i think she has good chances of making it. she has good camouflage colouring and she has already dug herself inside the sticks and stuff inside there. here she is safe from all ground-based predators like foxes.

now the great tit noticed that there's something funny going on. i heard it complaining somewhere close.

edit: the male mallard has already dumped her, she's on her own now. she goes feeding sometimes and covers the eggs well for that time.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

She is certainly well-camouflaged there in that deep nest bowl. I wonder how she discovered it & how long she has actually been there?
Kitty KCMO
asteria

Post by asteria »

ame wrote:if the eagles and buzzards will not return i think she has good chances of making it. she has good camouflage colouring and she has already dug herself inside the sticks and stuff inside there. here she is safe from all ground-based predators like foxes.

now the great tit noticed that there's something funny going on. i heard it complaining somewhere close.

edit: the male mallard has already dumped her, she's on her own now. she goes feeding sometimes and covers the eggs well for that time.
Are her future chicks supposed to climb down the tree or what?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Oh my, now I have searched google & found this article from the United States Geological Survey agency. Apparently mallards DO sometimes nest in old hawk (buzzard) nests, so this is not as unreasonable of our visitor as I assumed. here is a quote, & the link to the whole article is below.

"Wild mallards typically nest on the ground, in tall grass and shrubs. Occasionally we find nests built on piles of decaying vegetation in the middle of a wetland. Even less frequently, they will nest in trees, most commonly in old crow or hawk nests."

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/bi ... t/nest.htm

With our wood ducks, the babies leave the nest by leaping out of the cavity & falling to the ground. They seem no worse for it & are soon following mom to the water. Wikipedia reports the babies jump 24 hours after hatching & fall as much as 88 meters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Duck#Behavior
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

asteria wrote: Are her future chicks supposed to climb down the tree or what?
they jump overboard and float down like snowflakes. (or maybe in cities take the lift :whistling: )
then mummy wakes them to the next pond or something like that which may sometimes be rather far, km's away maybe.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

A duck??? :rotf: Okay, we've come from eagles to buzzards to a duck ... But, for me anything but the empty nest all summer! :mrgreen:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

now shel left. it is a mallard: she showed the blue stripe quite well. :nod:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I have pictures. Did you get a movie, Ame, or anyone else?

Mama mallard covered the nest (presumably with an egg or two in it) & then left to feed.

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

yep, i have videos and pictures. i'm uploading a video which takes ages as always.

but P-bucket refuses do to what i want today... :bash:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”