White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by Jo UK »

beans, that is a lovely story about ducklings.
If any are hatched that high up in the WTE nest, we shall worry about them!
beans

Post by beans »

That is definitely not a good place for them. They will end up being a predator's lunch. I don't know the geography here. How far away is the water? If the ducklings hatch and manage to survive the leap from the tree, will they have a long trek? They need to be in the water to find food: waterbugs, greens, etc. They can't survive without water.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

beans wrote:Ducks don't incubate 24/7 until the whole clutch of eggs is laid. The chicks are precocial: they are born with eyes open and can feed themselves.

More information about Mallards here: CLICK

At the bird hospital in Cordelia, California, I have taken care of many orphaned ducklings. They stay with us only a few days and are then transferred to a lovely place in Northern California. There are outdoor pools, sloped so the youngsters can wade in and wade out. Also a special area near the pool which is heated, where they can go to warm up and sleep. Until they are fully feathered, they need a heat source. In the wild, that would be mom.

One time someone brought in Mom and several ducklings. They were rescued from a pool at a water treatment plant. The sides of the pool were too high for the ducklings to get out, and they would not survive the night there. After the whole family spent the night in one of our special duck pens (each has a little pool) we added some more ducklings. Mom accepted them! We released Mom into the wetlands next to our hospital, followed by the ducklings. She called them to her, and they all swam away.
A beautiful story, and very nice people who do such effort for the birds :nod:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Dear forum friends, I may not be on tonight to watch for the mallard at dawn, I learned an hour ago that my father finally deceased sometime after his hospice nurse left him this morning. I am waiting to hear what arrangements are being made. Some of you have known of this situation in my life for several months. The cams & all the life they reveal have been such a comfort to me.
Kitty KCMO
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Kitty, I am so sorry for your loss.
We can be with you in spirit and wish you strength for the days to come.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Kitty KCMO wrote:Dear forum friends, I may not be on tonight to watch for the mallard at dawn, I learned an hour ago that my father finally deceased sometime after his hospice nurse left him this morning. I am waiting to hear what arrangements are being made. Some of you have known of this situation in my life for several months. The cams & all the life they reveal have been such a comfort to me.
Dear Kitty.
I have not been in this forum for long, but I would like to send you my condolences. With kind regards Lussi05
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Oh my - dear Kitty, my heartfelt condolences! I know what you are going through, it's just a few months I have gone through this! If you need somebody to "talk", feel free to send me a PM!
I wish you a lot of strength for the time coming!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

My sincere condolences, Kitty.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

So sorry, Kitty!
we are thinking of you...and waiting you back here, whenever you feel right to join us.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Bea

Post by Bea »

Dear Kitty,

my good thoughts will be with you and accompany you - the coming days are surely not easy for you ....

Looking forward to see you here again, whenever you feel good to be here.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Dear Kitty! So sorry about your father...We all are with you!
Proud to be a member of SHoW
beans

Post by beans »

Kitty, you and your dad are in our thoughts and our prayers.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Dear Kitty
We did know your Dad was ailing and now he has left you. It is so good you could visit him a few months back,that is a good memory to have.
I am sorry for your loss. My thought and prayers are with you.
Carmel
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

April 29

Good morning - today I'm early up and just checked the nests. Maisy is back, hardly visible, if you don't know she's "home", you would not see her!

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

dear Kitty, i just read your message. i'm so sorry to hear about your loss. i wish you all the strength and piece of mind that you'll need in the days to come.
ame

Post by ame »

i've been hearing some duck's voices from the forest and Maisy has been listening to them, looking a bit worried... :unsure:

Maisy put her beak under her wing and listened. Mr Mallard may still be around after all...
ame

Post by ame »

Bleggi wrote:I have been wrong this morning in showing pictures of the Lesser Spotted here. So I take them away again. Excuse me - I seem to be a bit puzzled sometimes.
Greetings from Bleggi :slap:
Bleggi :hi:
i went out yesterday afternoon and later i got worried that will you find your pictures. i guessed that you'll notice later that they are not where you thought you had put them. then i felt sorry i that i hadn't sent you a message about it before i left...

i once had hard time finding my pictures once when i had put them in a a wrong place. i saw that they were not where they should have been but i had no idea where they were. it took me quite some time before i found them. :D

so these confusions happen every now and then and it's no big deal, don't worry. :nod:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

8:10 Good morning :wave: Maisy has taken her place for the morning.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kitty I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of your self and know that my thoughts are with you.
Ziva

Post by Ziva »

Dear Kitty, I am so sorry for your loss, my condolences, kind regards, Ziva

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”