White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

alice44

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by alice44 »

8:51

Maisy is pulling material down into the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

at 8.53 Maisy took off. this time she went to the left and rather suddenly. she didn't waste time looking around.

she's always cautious, keeping an eye on the environment and listening to every crick and crack from the forest. even when she relaxes a bit she tucks only her beak under the wing, and not the whole head. that way she can see and hear what is going on...

beans :hi: i don't think this is much more dangerous or in any way worse place for a duck's/mallard's nest than under a shrub on the ground. for a duck everywhere is dangerous. after all they all end up as someone's lunches, sooner or later. for most ducks it's sooner.. :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

here are some clips from earlier morning.

at 8.01 some little bird came to tweet at Maisy, but i managed to capture only the last "tweet!!". quite obviously this was a friendly little bird as Maisy wasn't a bit concerned about it. she put her beak under her wing right after the little bird stopped and relaxed as much as she can. it could have been a chaffinch or a willow warbler..?

at 8.34 Maisy was carefully listening to the voices from the forest. firt there was some little bird on the left side of the nest which flew away ( willow warbler?, chaffinch?) but that did not worry Maisy. she knew that it was harmless. instead she was looking to the back. there were some duck calls and later a crow cawed a few times. could it be that Mr Mallard hasn't dumped her altogether nut is hanging around still. maybe it is drawing attention to himself instead of the female in the nest and trying to cause distraction...? :puzzled:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Kitty, my sincerest condolences...
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Dear Kitty, I am so sorry to learn about your loss.
Send you my deepfelt condolences - may you get strength in the time that comes.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

A hooded crow visited the nest, I took a while to locate the calling in all the open cams, so the film is rather short

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

oh dear... this will not be easy for us... nor to Maisy.... :faint:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

If the chicks hatch, if they reach the ground alive, is it possible that someone will be there and take them to water?
Strange things happen - - -

This is in Renno's area, isn't it?

I will e-mail to him.
asteria

Post by asteria »

I don't see any eggs there, I think she is only preparing for incubation.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I think members have reported seeing egg-laying movements. The nest bowl is very deep so we may not see eggs, if they are there.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Jo UK wrote:If the chicks hatch, if they reach the ground alive, is it possible that someone will be there and take them to water?
Strange things happen - - -

This is in Renno's area, isn't it?

I will e-mail to him.
I read in my bird guide that the female are looking after the chicks for 50 - 60 days, until they can fly, so i guess she will take them to the water??
ame

Post by ame »

i think Maisy has concealed the eggs well enough in the bottom of the nest bowl, so that we (and any predators) can not see them. when she has a full clutch (by her jugdement, about a dozen eggs or so) she'll begin to incubate for real. this may take another 10 days or so. before that she'll behave like she has during the past days: come before the dawn, lay an egg and leave before 9 o'clock. (she's a kind of Cinderella :D )

when Maisy thinks her clutch is full she'll begin to incubate for real for a month or so. if no-one comes and robs her nest the chicks will hatch within about one night or so. in the morning Maisy will call for them from the bottom or the tree and all the hatchlings which are well enough they will take the leap to the un-known which is down to the forest bottom. then Maisy will take them for a walk to the closest water. the chicks will be able to walk at least a km or two to reach a pond or something. of cource en route there are a multitude of perils... but if all the ducklings would survive we would be drowned by them within a year...! :faint:

this is a new situation for us: Maisy is in the lower levels of the food chain and it is rather likely that things will end up badly for her and her eggs. this is contrary to what we have been used to here at the eagles' nest (or almost any other nest! almost all the others have been predators or at least big birds capable of defending themselves against 'normal' predators).

the WTEs are on the top of the food chain and there are actually no enemies for them except humans. that means that they have been safe against of almost anything... thay have been kind of immortal in our eyes. but Maisy and her nest, they are really something else... :unsure:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

We need another cam monitoring the tree with the nest from the bottom to see the ducklings come down :laugh: and one camera team following them to the water
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

i tried to find some pictures or anything about a chain of ducklings on their way to the closest water or some pictures of any urban nests but i did not find any! :slap:

i guess these sights are so common that these kind of pictures are almost impossible to find.... i've seen them almost yearly in newspapers: duck''s nests on balconies, duck's nests in flower pots in the yards of apartment buildings, a duck family crossing a street on a pedestrian cross-walk and a policeman stopping the traffic for them etc...
i did not find any pictures for these...

i trust in Maisy: she knows what she is doing. the rest depends on luck. :2thumbsup:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

ame, I have been thinking about that predator issue. It kind a puts us on the other side -- like when watching swans at the seal cam.

(but then 2 birds --a bald eagle and a peregrine falcon have met nasty deaths at the hands of airplanes in the past few months in the US, so just being at the top of the food chain is not an assurance of any kind of safety)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

ame wrote:i tried to find some pictures or anything about a chain of ducklings on their way to the closest water or some pictures of any urban nests but i did not find any! :slap:
You mean something like this

http://www.geo-reisecommunity.de/bild/r ... er-ein.jpg

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Found something on YouTube as well

It says, that the duck was nesting on a porch roof and had to lead the ducklings 500 m to the next water. Sadly from 12 ducklings only 7 survived the first days

ame

Post by ame »

Alice: i was thinking about the "natural" relations here. human-made aeroplanes aren't a part of the game i was thinking about.

unfortunately these human-related things are among the things that birds have to face nowadays, like electricity power lines and stuff like that. there have been far too many news about ground fires in Finland this spring: fires that have been started when a goose or a swan or some other big bird which has collided with power lines and has produced an electric arc and started a fire on the dry hay on the ground...

the saddest story i read about was about a group of swans. one of them hit the wires in the early spring and dropped dead without making even a beep. the rest of the flock went on flying and its spouse never found out what had happened to it. it was still looking for its mate even in the late summer. :cry: this happened close to our summer house last year...
ame

Post by ame »

Felis silvestris wrote:Found something on YouTube as well

It says, that the duck was nesting on a porch roof and had to lead the ducklings 500 m to the next water. Sadly from 12 ducklings only 7 survived the first days
yes Felis: this is something like what i was looking for! :nod:
7 out of 12 isn't bad... and those weren't new-born hatchlings, they were rather big chicks already. the ratio was still to be reduced before the autumn... no doubt about that that.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Jo UK wrote:I think members have reported seeing egg-laying movements. The nest bowl is very deep so we may not see eggs, if they are there.
But ducks used to lay a lot of eggs, not 2 or 3, but 5-7 or even 9. How could she lay so many eggs within a few days and hide them all?

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”