White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Kitty KCMO

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Oh no!! A thieving buzzard was watching & waiting for her to leave! He landed, looked, & then something might have scared him away, or else the eggs were covered so well he did not see them.

Buzzard leaving.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And then a tit landed to check everything out. LOL! This is quite a day!
Kitty KCMO
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave:
Bye bye Daisy
Hello buzzard
ame

Post by ame »

a buzzard! :shock: i missed that! :faint:
my camera stops when i upload video.

did you get pictures? -so the buzzard was around keeping an eye at the nest. maybe this is not a good idea for the mallard after all... :unsure:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:a buzzard! :shock: i missed that! :faint:
my camera stops when i upload video.

did you get pictures? -so the buzzard was around keeping an eye at the nest. maybe this is not a good idea for the mallard after all... :unsure:
Fireblade got him arriving & I got him leaving (above). I heard a buzzard earlier, when I first saw her on the nest. He has been watching. . .
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

here's the video (the last of them). she seems to drill herself down.

a bit earlier she was wagging her tail up-down-up-down rhythmically. could she have laid an egg then?
ame

Post by ame »

now there are voices of a magpie... :unsure:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The article I found (link above) states that the hen only visits the nest about an hour a day, laying one egg per day until she gets a full clutch of about 12. Then she starts incubating. So we may not see her again today. Mallards in Europe are surely very much the same in behavior as in the USA. Now I wonder if she has been here for a few days but we just did not notice her as the nest has seemed to be totally empty.

@Ame-- I think the magpies, & possibly some jays or other corvids, were scolding the buzzard.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

i checked yesterday's last P-pictures and the nest was empty then. this morning the mallard is in the nest already in the first picture at 5.45. at 6.28 a KBV had come to say hello to her.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2011-04-27 ... -06-28.jpg
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:bow: We are fortunate that Lussi05 noticed the duck in the nest this morning. I had thought it was empty again, but when I noticed someone had posted a message a short time after me, I went back & saw that Lussi05 had sharp eyes & saw what I had missed.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Such activity I missed while I was away.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:Such activity I missed while I was away.
:D It's exciting, isn't it? Even if she successfully incubates, how in the world will the ducklings manage to climb out of that deep tangle of sticks & twigs to get over the edge to the forest floor?

Edit, 10:23-- It is late for me, so I will say goodnight. What an exciting time at the cams it has been. I can barely wait to see if the mallard hen comes back to lay more eggs. So keep a good watch, everyone! Enjoy the cams. Goodnight / good day!

:offtobed:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good night Kitty! :wave:
i don't think the mallard will be back before tomorrow morning, and then you'll have the front seat here at the nest.

it has turned cloudy and the light is better for seeing what's in the nest, but i don't see anything. that's exactly the way it should be if Daisy laid an egg there: it should not be seen. :nod:

(this led me to think of something completely different...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmRgQX82O4 :mrgreen:
Ziva

Post by Ziva »

I was so surprised; a duck in this nest! What now, will she come again?
A great picture, Kitty and fireblade1!
Now and than I'm hearing Buzzards, they still are in the area.
Maybe are they now interesting in this nest! :rolleyes:
asteria

Post by asteria »

There are no eggs in the nest!
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

here's one of the videos i recorded earlier. this begins a 8.56. there she begins slowly to pump her tail up and down and goes on like that for about 3 minutes. could she be laying an egg here?

the idea is that the egg is to seen by anyone. they are white and have to be covered for not to be seen. i think she was pulling twigs and other stuff in the bottom of the enst bowl before she left. there could be an egg there? :puzzled:

i made a playlist of all the mallard videos from today morning here:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 3CA3C1E7B8
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

fireblade1 wrote::wave:
Bye bye Daisy
You have always so wonderful pictures - that are on the point exactly. Now I will ask you if you take snapshots one after another one on the open cam or take you the pictures out of videos?
It is so difficult to get a picture at the moment one open his mouth for example. Until I press my botton the mouth is closed again. :slap: :laugh: . However - I love your pics and this one with the duck I will take in my album with your name. I saw the duck sitting in the nest and was wondering what will happen. I am eager to see if she is here again tomorrow.
Regards from Bleggi
:hi:
ame

Post by ame »

hello Bleggi! :hi:
i take pictures both from the live cam while i record a video and afterwards from video. i usually miss the right moment when to capture a snapshot from live cam so i have to try and capture good pictures from video. then i just click-click-click.... and hope for the best. unfortunately the picture quality is not very good that way.

when something interesting happens just in front of us then i try to first click a still picture and then start recording and then click-click-click again. the video starts recording actually several seconds after the button is pressed so a short and quick event is often over and the bird has flown before the recording starts.

i think the best chances to get good pictures here is when many people are taking pictures at the same time. then at least one of us gets lucky! :headroll:
i think that all of us can't do it the way Hali used to do: to put the recording on in the morning and then check what has been caught in the evening with fast-forward. Hali got some amazing eagle pictures from the seal beach that way two years ago. :D
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

fireblade1 wrote::wave:
Bye bye Daisy
Hello buzzard

Well.!! I'll be flabbergasted and astounded (etc;) to see such a sight.. :rotf:
Now someone should tell that Buzzard that he ababdoned the nest ..it is no longer his.. :mrgreen:
I found this online; Daisy is not alone in highrise nest building.
http://www.patriotledger.com/features/x ... hone-tower
Can anyone remember the (immense ) height of the nest.. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

This is an example of ducklings taking the giant leap;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBSkFyUyv0

a note about mallards;
A female mallard was present, accompanied by 15 ducklings!! Mallard ducks normally lay approximately 12 eggs between mid-March and the end of July. Eggs are laid over the duration of a couple of weeks. This large clutch means that female mallards actually lay more than half their body weight! As you might imagine, this is a very stressful time for the female. For about 28 days during incubation, the female will sit on the nest. Her brown plumage means she is well camouflaged against predators.
Thanks to LOTL blog today.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
beans

Post by beans »

When you say Buzzard, are you referring to (what looks like to me) a Common Raven (Corvus corax) on the nest?
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”