White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

b.h-p

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

A lot of thanks to Urmas, Renno and everybody else who made it possible for us to have a look at the nest again.

It certainly seems that a lot preparations of the nest are made during the months we haven´t seen it.
And I don´t think these efforts were intended to be in vain although the eagles haven´t been active by now since the cam. went on again.

I still do hope for that Linda and Sulev shall use the nest again - that nothing had happened that prevent them.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Rionn

Post by Rionn »

It would be very sad when Linda and Sulev decided not to lay eggs this year. On the other hand, they raised the last (two years? I came in last year) two baby eagles, maybe they need a rest? Is it usual that eagles lay eggs every year or do they have a pause after two or more years? :puzzled:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Rionn wrote:It would be very sad when Linda and Sulev decided not to lay eggs this year. On the other hand, they raised the last (two years? I came in last year) two baby eagles, maybe they need a rest? Is it usual that eagles lay eggs every year or do they have a pause after two or more years? :puzzled:
Maybe it depends on the demands of food.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

Spring is really late this year aswell. Snow started to "really" melt about 2 days ago. If there has been no eagles seen (except the eagle that flew pass) then well... i am no expert but it doesen't look good at all :unsure:
kenny

Post by kenny »

:peek:
I still hope that Sulev and Linda will come to the nest. This has been very cold winter, that's why they'll start nesting later that previous years. I hope it wont matter that much for eaglets if the season starts couple of weeks later..
----- White-tailed Eagles Cam2010 playlist --
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... ield=added

----- White-tailed Eagles Cam2009 playlist --
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... ield=added
ame

Post by ame »

if i remember right from last year Renno or Urmas told us that the avegarage date in Estonia for WTEs laying eggs is March 19th. and Jürka says it's a late spring. that may make the difference.. how was it two years ago?

in the meanwhile i have made some interesting discoveries from last year's Pontu pictures. there were visitors, strangers at the nest just before Linda lay the first egg. this is was taken on March 19th at 18.30:

it's an immature stranger who came to check the nest! :shock: it came three times after six o'clock that evening. he had a 'guilty' look on its face and didn't stay long.... :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

and that wasn't enough! the next morning there were two strangers in the nest! :slap:
at 6.14 two WTEs, both without rings:
this is a funny picture: they look like two heavy-rockers moshing! :mrgreen:

both were busy arranging things in the nest for quite some time. at 6.42:

at 6.45 a close-up of the bracelett-free ankles:
ame

Post by ame »

here's a close-up of the tail of the other stranger. it's an immature eagle, it still has a dark stripe in the end of its tail (at 6.31)

the other one is already a grown-up eagle (at 6.36):

i think they got chased away by Linda and Sulev as here in the picture taken at 6.48 both tails are white:

these birds sat on the branch for a while and at 6.53 Linda marched into the nest. the strangers were in the nest already when the camera turned on at 6.08 so they spent at least about 40 minutes there.

this heavy eagle traffic at the nest last year has made me puzzled about this year: why haven't there been anyone this year? (except the two eagles on the 10th) maybe the spring is just late like Jürka said...
(last year besides the eagles a jay came to check the nest many times after an eagle had left. here there have been some crows calling. -well one crow was calling quite next to the camera this morning...)

Jo: maybe these posts aren't quite in the proper place here. feel free to move them to a more suitable place if you think it's better. like "Other animals near the eagles' nest"? :whistling:
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

2 years ago ( the year i made the table ) first egg was layed already on 11-th march. but i think that year it was already pretty warm by then. Lets just hope that they come...
ame

Post by ame »

18.37 the camera turned off. :sleep:

it was so quiet all afternoon. in the morning and in the early afternoon i heard some birds:
- crows all day long about more times than other birds together,
- jackdaws, raven
- great tit
- goldeneyes flying, swans flying
- buzzard
- dog
- woodpecker knocking on wood (twice)
- a brown little bird (LBJ or KBV 8-) ) (maybe yellowhammer?)

it was so quiet that i'm more and more inclined to Jürka's opinion about the late spring. let's hope it's that.
good night! :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

jürka wrote:2 years ago ( the year i made the table ) first egg was layed already on 11-th march. but i think that year it was already pretty warm by then. Lets just hope that they come...
yeah, it was an early spring in that way. there was a lot snow on the ground still and a lot of snowing, too. i remember many times when the incubating parent was covered with a thick layer of snow. :shock:
maybe it wasn't so cold then. (i haven't seen the statistics.) this year it has been very cold!
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

ame wrote: yeah, it was an early spring in that way. there was a lot snow on the ground still and a lot of snowing, too. i remember many times when the incubating parent was covered with a thick layer of snow. :shock:
maybe it wasn't so cold then. (i haven't seen the statistics.) this year it has been very cold!
yes it did snow for a long time but it was warm... this year it was -20 not too much time ago. that year it almost didn't go up to -20.
ame

Post by ame »

March 15th: Good morning! :hi:
the camera turned on at 7.03. it's a beautiful sunny morning, but i think it may be rather cold. at least the weather forecast promises temperatures below 0 degrees even in the daytime for most of the week.

no-one is around, but today i won't be able to watch all...

EAGLE CALLS in the distance!! :loveshower:

....... the time. so if someone else can... :rolleyes:
beans

Post by beans »

I've been watching about an hour... it's 11:20 at night here, and I need to sign off. So far, no eagles today.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
ame

Post by ame »

thank you, beans, and good night! :wave:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

The shadow of the new cam? Mighty, mighty :D
ame

Post by ame »

the camera turned off at 18.41, and the sunset was at 18.26. :sleep:
it was rather quiet in the afternoon, as far as i was able to hear. at half 5 o'clock there were some crows cawing...

ps. if i remember right Urmas posted last year some photos he took on his and Renno's ringing trip. there you could see the camera behind Renno. i tried to find that picture, but so far with no success... i know it's got to be somewhere there.... :slap:

if i understood it's the same camera now, but it's attached a little bit higher in the tree and it's looking a more tilted angle than last year. now it is looking down so we can see the ground under the nest tree. last year we saw the horizon. in Urmas' picture one could see that the camera was actually rather small and no so migthy. :laugh:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

ame wrote:the camera turned off at 18.41, and the sunset was at 18.26. :sleep:
it was rather quiet in the afternoon, as far as i was able to hear. at half 5 o'clock there were some crows cawing...

ps. if i remember right Urmas posted last year some photos he took on his and Renno's ringing trip. there you could see the camera behind Renno. i tried to find that picture, but so far with no success... i know it's got to be somewhere there.... :slap:

if i understood it's the same camera now, but it's attached a little bit higher in the tree and it's looking a more tilted angle than last year. now it is looking down so we can see the ground under the nest tree. last year we saw the horizon. in Urmas' picture one could see that the camera was actually rather small and no so migthy. :laugh:
Hi Ame :wave:
try to look here, I think it is the photos you are thinking at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=174&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=3060
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
ame

Post by ame »

March 16th: Good morning! :hi:

the camera turned on at 7.03. it's sunny but the lens is foggy.

thank you b. h-p! :wave: that was exactly the pictures i was looking for. thank you for finding them.
it seems that i wasn't looking systematically enough. i started at page 150 and looked up to 160 but i must have skipped the right page. :faint: :D
(there's our favourite young eagle man, too, next to the camera. 8-) )
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Urmas wrote: We don't know other nest of our eagle pair. But it's quite bad feeling to see empty nest... especially after all we made for better transmission.
Audio problems could be caused by decoding or interferences, because from the forest the signal comes very well. That needs to test it from distance.
Another change we made, we changed camera to new one...?
Oh sorry. I thougt there is also a new cam. Misunderstanding :D

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”