Moderator: ame

iku

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by iku »

i'll be away the rest of today. :wave:[/quote]
We do, however, the sun is shining and dripping from the eaves :D :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

i didn't see it move or leave before it was too dark to see anything. i wonder what it could be? it'll be interesting to see whether it is still there in the morning.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
i think "it" is still there but i also think it is just a stem of a tree in the background that has been revealed out of snow. there are also some twigs hanging from a near-by birch or some other tree. they are waving back and forth in the wind in the line of sight to the treestem so it foolks like the dark thing were moving. i don't think it's anything else. :slap:
i also think that if no-one shows up here during this coming week then it's over for this summer. three years ago Linda had laid the first egg on 11th of March. two years ago that was on 21st but even with a late spring they should be here busy working with the nest... :unsure:

sounds like hard wind but the sun is shining bright.

earlier at 6.29 this morning i heard some birds which sounded like jackdaws but can they be...? :puzzled: --on the other hand i think this kind of forest would be their natural habitat (instead of churchtowers and chimneys :mrgreen: )
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I also think that it was something that was just not that visible before - Fireblade must know this "thing" already :wave:
Pity - I had hoped that maybe one of the eagles was too shy to appear in front of the cam! Last year around this time, Linda and Sulev worked at the nest for a while. My guess is, they have a new nest a bit away from this one!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

How about the chance another pair of eagles could nest here?

If it should be so that Linda and Sulev take the other nest this season, which is about one kilometer away - is the distance of one kilometer too near for another pair of nesting eagles?
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

i don't know Bea... i guess that big birds of prey like WTEs need large territories which could be even several square km's so i think this nest is still "owned" by L&S.

but on the other hand two years ago there was a strange couple (no rings on either of them) visiting the nest in the morning on March 20th, just a day before L laid her first egg. actually the strangers stayed here rather long: they were in the nest at 6.08 when Pontu-camera started and left at 6.45, seemingly with no hurry. they were certainly looking at the nest and the forest around it with great intrest.

in the next P-picture 6.46 there's at least one eagle on the back branch, and 2 min later there are two. in the picture taken 6.53 Linda is climbing into the nest. i think that Linda and Sulev came home and the strangers just managed to leave before that or L & S chased them away.
the links to these Pontu-pictures are like this: http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas-2010/2010- ... -06-08.jpg. change the time in the end (or date in two places). in the picture taken at 6.14 the bare ankles of both birds can be seen, like in the 6.45-picture.

so i don't think that it might be totally out of the question that some strange couple (young couple maybe) without a home would occupy this nest while L & S are busy elsewhere. i don't think they'd have much time (or intrest) to defend this spare nest with eggs and chicks elsewhere.
ame

Post by ame »

today snow in the nest is melting quickly.

current weather:

and prediction:
Bea

Post by Bea »

My thoughts were, that a kilometer is no distance for big birds of prey ... and that their huntinggrounds while hunting food for their chicken could easily include that distance.
Another couple nesting too near could be competitors so that they would not tolerate this ....

Thank you, ame, for the links to the pontu-pictures :wave:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Flex

Post by Flex »

geese are in the neighbourhood at EE 09:56
the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation
ame

Post by ame »

beautiful sunny weather at the nest today but the wind is fierce! :shock: it's shaking the tree wildly back and forth. there's only a small almost invisible lump of snow left. beware: the sound here is loud.

Bea wrote:My thoughts were, that a kilometer is no distance for big birds of prey ... and that their huntinggrounds while hunting food for their chicken could easily include that distance.
Another couple nesting too near could be competitors so that they would not tolerate this ....

Thank you, ame, for the links to the pontu-pictures :wave:
you're welcome, Bea!
all the Pontu-links for kotkas-camera are here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=271

.. and i agree: i don't think a kilometer or two is enough separation for nests of two WTE-couples. :nod:
i have a feeling that L&S checked that there aren't any competitors here a few days ago when there were eagle calls here on one evening and then in the following morning. i think they came here to announce that "this is ours even though were're not staying here". their voices are so loud that i bet other eagles can hear the calls over great distances. for a lovesong much less desibels would be enough. :mrgreen:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Looking at the empty nest, so completely without any sign of Linda and Sulev, I think they have a new nest somewhere else! :cry:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:Looking at the empty nest, so completely without any sign of Linda and Sulev, I think they have a new nest somewhere else! :cry:
I'm afraid of that too :unsure:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The only change I see this morning is there is only a tiny bit of snow left in the nest bowl. It is windy & so the sound roars & the tree sways.

I think, too, that L & S are nesting elsewhere again this year. But there was a lot of interest in this nice nest last spring, so maybe a pair of buzzards or some other occupants will nest here this year. But, please-- no more mallard ducks, I don't think I could stand the suspense again. :rolleyes:
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A bright, sunny morning at the WTE nest. The small trees below have a reddish color, which tells me they probably have new spring buds swelling on them.

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

it's beautiful and windy... i think now all snow is gone from the bottom of the nest. but it is still untouched. :slap:
... :faint: :cry:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

No comments here today. I guess it means that no one has visited the nest today either..so sad :cry:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

08:12h : Eagle calls
maertha

Post by maertha »

:wave: Thanks, fireblade!

As far as I know: nothing special happened here, as yesterday.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

maertha wrote::wave: Thanks, fireblade!
As far as I know: nothing special happened here, as yesterday.
:wave:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:hi:

nuthatch I think ?

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”