Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

Halli and Pruuni made a swift and quiet change at 18.00. the Pontu picture is particularly beautiful! :thumbs:

Imagehttp://picasion.com

Imagehttp://picasion.com

ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni's false eyes are visible in the back of her head again. :rolleyes: :D
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD911D134F267E9C1
good night! :wave:
borje

Post by borje »

interesting to be able to see the the buzzards wing pattern from above. Much darker and brownish than the under side which you usually see watching them from the ground. These colors are seldom described.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you ame and all for the news today.
For me its been a busy day,no time for the nests.. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Ame, you are doing such a good job of documenting the progress at this nest! :bow: Those jays are such pests & I worry for the egg, but it seems Pruuni & Halli are able to protect it so far. Let's hope they continue to do so.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

May 24th
good morning! :hi:
thank you macdoum and Kitty! it's so good to see that you Kitty are getting around more every day! :loveshower:

this is Pruuni at 4.39.

it seems that Pruuni and Halli have changed places early in the morning again. Pruuni was sleeping with her head under the wing at 5.09 (Pontu picture)

... but at 5.10 she was replaced by Halli, who is awake.

Halli has been sleeping most of the time, too, but now he was just woken up by a blackbird.
ame

Post by ame »

at 8.57 the jay came for a visit again. it made one attack dive on Halli who reached to slap it with his wings.
Imagebuild animated gif

then the jay stayed a little further but sang at Halli again on the nearby branches. it is still there....
the jay's singing reminds me of Emmet who was scared that Hyacinth would sing at him... :mrgreen: but surely the jay's singing is not as scary. :laugh:
Emmet and Hyacinth in the beginning here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQDXZuutSC0

the jay is still there at 9.19 entertaining Halli with its song. it once even imitated a magpie, another famous singer. :D
ame

Post by ame »

the jay was quiet for a while but didn't leave altogether. it erturned on the front branch, flew off to the back branch and then Pruuni came! she talked with Halli for a while and then Halli left seemingly after the jay...
Imagebuild animated gif

.. but the jay returned to look at Pruuni who complained about the jay coming back...

now it's been quiet for a minute or two so i think the jay gave up.... maybe. it is very persistant! :slap:

edit at 9.37: the jay is buzzing there agai/still...
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I had no clue who Emmet was but I only knew of one Hyacinth :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

there's only one Hyacinth! :laugh:
in Wikipedia there seems to be an article about Emmet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_Hawksworth
Emmet was unfortunate enough to move next door to Mrs Bucket (pronounced Bouqééé :mrgreen: ) to live with his sister Elizabeth, who had a very bad coffee-cup syndrome which actualized in Hyacinth's house but nowhere else. Emmet soon learned that one of the most awful things that might happen was that Hyacinth would sing at him.
:laugh:

Pruuni is dozing in the nest. a golden oriole is singing there. summer came togeher with the rosefinch the other day. since that there haven't been voices of migrating geese and the leaves of trees burst out in full almost overnight.
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.43 Pruuni woke from a deep sleep when Halli brought a good-sized vole to her. :thumbs:

Imagehow do i make a gif

she took it to the forest and Halli stayed at home.

borje

Post by borje »

I suggest that most of us will accept the fight between the hatching buzzards and the hungry jays.

This is nature and nothing where we should take sides.
Next time it is the other way, with buzzards beeing the raptors.

Please enjoy this interesting play.

Börje
ame

Post by ame »

yes, Börje, the interaction of buzzards and jays here has been "a grain of salt" in the event-poor period of incubation. :D
i'd like very much to know what is going on in the jay's head. except of course that it thinks that the buzzards are its enemies!

at 19.32 Halli was in deep sleep in his turn when a meow - meow- meow- voice called from the forest but he did not wake up. after a few seconds Pruuni landed on the nest and that woke him. :D
Imagehow do i make a gif

then Halli stood up, jumped on the back branch and took off. Pruuni settled on the egg.
Imagepictures to gif

there's still about a week to go... :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

the jay has come again to entertain Pruuni in the evening. i hear it is buzzing near somewhere.. Pruuni is looking up...

"turn around bright eyes..." she's so beautiful! :loveshower:
i think the jay gave up. i don't hear it any more.
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDEBFA5C792529D6
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I admit I didn't know Emmet or Hyacinth either.. :rotf:

Thanks for all the reports ame. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

May 25th
good morning! :hi:

Halli replaced Pruuni at 5.13. unfortunately my video had so poor quality that this is the best picture that can be extracted from there. Halli is on the left in the blue ellipse and Pruuni is taking off in the red ellipse on the right. she has nothing in her beak so Halli didn't bring her any breakfast.
macdoum :hi: : thanks! - i amazed that you've managed to escape from Hyacinth. :D Keeping up appearances has been re-run on Finnish TV at least 4 times. she's something worth to know! :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.11 Halli got up to the front rim of the nest and preened a little there.
Imagehow do you make gifs

then he jumped out of the picture but i could hear him rattling and purring and kaa'ing to himself in the branches above the nest... then he returned with a twig with fresh leaves!
Imagehow do i make a gif

he repeated this procedure at least twice. this is something new. he once brought a twig to Pruuni but now he brought several twigs just by/for himself. hmm! :rolleyes:
the second leaf-twig at 7.21.

the third leaf-twig at 7.47
ame

Post by ame »

the jay came at 7.26 for the first visit today. it was not in a very bad mood yet.

at about 8.10 the jay came again to tease Halli.

first it really looked just like a game: Halli tried to sleep and tucked his head under his wing. as soon as he did that the jay made a fly-dive on him and startled him up. the jay also just chattered quietly at Halli, and did not shout aggressively. that game went on for rather long....

then it seemed that the jay got more and more irritated because Halli was so cool about the jay's annoying behaviour, and the jay began to shriek in a bad voice at about 8.30. at about 8.36 the jay had gotten bored of his game and left. now Halli could sleep. :sleep:
ame

Post by ame »

at 9.16 Halli got up and climbed on the front rim of the nest to preen himself. he called a couple of times... and Pruuni landed on the nest.

Halli took of and Pruuni climbed in. she had brought a large piece of some bark or sheet of some other dry material.
Imagepictures to gif
hmmmh!?... i don't remember that she'd brought anything to the nest ever during the incubation time... hmm...? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ame

Post by ame »

Halli has replaced Pruuni at the nest duty sometime between 14.57 and 15.57, but i haven't still found out when...? :puzzled:
it was Pruuni when i had to close the camera and Halli was there when i reopened the camera.
i think it must have been between 16.27 and 16.28.
here's Pruuni with her spotty neck at 16.26 an in the next Pontu picture the bird is in the same position.
Image..Image
at 16.28 there's someone digging in the nest with the head deep in the nest bowl and in the next picture i think it is Halli (though the back of the head seems to have some spots; later, e.g. at 16.30 in the third picture it was more clearly Halli).
Image..Image..Image

i also think that the difference of colours of the birds is rather clear. -it's a shame we could not see if Halli brought something to Pruuni. :slap:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”