Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Bea

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by Bea »

It´s because they always fly on and off for a short time - maybe it is the behaviour of nesting buzzards ??? :puzzled:

But I begin to wonder if the buzzards ever will be patient enough to sit on eggs and stay on the nest with all this on-and-off-stuff they do all the time :laugh:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I found quite interesting Pontu pictures

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

Felis silvestris wrote:I found quite interesting Pontu pictures
Absolute !!! :laugh:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

i had the chance to see the camera late in the evening when it was becoming dark. there was no-one there so i suppose there were no eggs either. the suspense is getting stronger day by day...

i'm sorry for you not been able to see the birds here (or elsewhere). they seem to come here rather irregularly, though it seems that buzzards have maybe a bit more regular behaviour pattern that L&S had. i should draw a chart though to be able to see it more clearly. Linda and Sulev however were notoriously regularly irregular in their behaviour: they seemed to have almost no other rhythm except than Sulev came to release Linda from nest duty by 9 o'clock in the morning plus/minus an hour and half... :D

better luck in the future when the buzzards have eggs in the nest, Gaby and Bea and others. then the buzzards will ahve to stay at home at all times. 8-)
ame

Post by ame »

Felis silvestris wrote:I found quite interesting Pontu pictures
Urmas' fingers! :laugh: :rotf:

today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9269CFDE978B23E2
good night! :wave: :offtobed:
ame

Post by ame »

April 20th
good morning! :hi:

the weather is not nice this morning: hard wind and rain in hte lens but the birds don't seem to mind it. they are singing happily in the forest (as far as i can hear it through the whoozzing and roaring of the wind). i had a look at the weather forecast. it promises rain for all today and for the next night, too. a streak of that weather front is reaching us across the sea and it has started to rain on our side, too.

i haven't seen anyone at the nest, but i haven't been watching all the time, and i have kept the volume down because of the loudness of the wind...i have a dental appointment today so i'll be off-cam.
ame

Post by ame »

back at 13.14 but no-one's at home so no egg so far... the wind is still strong and loud but it doesn't seem to be raining anymore.
ame

Post by ame »

at 14.42 i heard kaa - kaa - kaa to the other room and there the buzzard was in the nest.

it arranged the nest stuff a little, then rose to the back branch, sat there for a while and took off at 14.46.

ame

Post by ame »

then about minute later it returned. it had brought a big ball of green moss into the enst.

then it climbed again to the back brand, but returned to the nest to do some more arrangements...

... said a few more kaa-kaa's and took off.

now it seems to stay away for a longer time. it seems to take two or three trips to the nest in a row and then it stays away longer. yesterday the intervals were about an hour and 20-30 min.
ame

Post by ame »

i checked Pontu-pictures from today morning - early afternoon and found out that a buzzard had visited the nest at 11.16 - 11.19:

ame

Post by ame »

... and another visit had been at 12.33 - 12.38:

i like the wide open view of Pontu camera with the sky and scenery over the forest so much. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

after the last visit of the buzzard a little before 3 pm it began to rain more and more... luckily the wind has stopped, but it is raining so much that it has discouraged birds from singing. it became quiet after 5 pm. just before that i realized that a willow warbler is singing there as a newcomer. they may have been there maybe already on yesterday but i don't think much longer. i think a willow warbler is still trying to sing bravely out there in the rain, accompanied by a song thrush and a common snipe (they never stop).
- the scenery has water colours again... :rolleyes:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:wave: Thank you ame,for all the news from here. The buzzards are busy bees but how much longer before they decide to lay an egg or two :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Wikipedia says in Central Europe it starts by mid March, goes on to mid April. Since Estonia is further north, I guess it slowly should be time, if they are sincere about it!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

i think it's not raining any more but the forest is dripping wet. birds are singing again.

i suppose the buzzards have gone to find supper and i don't expext them back anymore nonight. -i was just about to write that the have always left at about 6 pm but then i checked my notes and saw that it's not true. for example on Apr 16th the last one left at at 20.15. i should make a drawing of their comings and goings to see whether there's a pattern in the ways, but they seem to have irregular manners....

playlist today: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE83B7B1F7C349DA2

a common snipe is on its territorial flight around the forest opening, makin the baaing sound with its tail feathers... soon it will be dark. i think i'll log off for today. goodnight! :wave: :offtobed:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:Wikipedia says in Central Europe it starts by mid March, goes on to mid April. Since Estonia is further north, I guess it slowly should be time, if they are sincere about it!
In my bird guide it says from the second half of April to middle of May, so I cross my fingers for this nest.
Ame, thank you for your pictures and videos and good night :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

April 21st
good morning! :hi:

jays visited the nest again (so no-one else was at home). the first checked the egg situation.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

(modest jay fashion)
ame

Post by ame »

when it left the other came to sit by the nest. it preened a little and then it sang a little in the modest jay fashion...

and finally left after having a look at the nest.

even then it stayed somewhere close and was making noises. it sounded like if it were chopping wood or something...
ame

Post by ame »

at 10.03 a buzzard came to the nest and arranged twigs for a while.

at 10.08 the other (bigger?) came, but it didn't stay more than a minute.

the other stayed sitting on the back branch... no it jumped in to the nest and the other came, too.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”