Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

a jay again! :rant:
Imagepicasion.com

first Halli was meowing in the forest near-by, the a wryneck began to call and then actually two jays flew to the nest tree. the other stayed out of the view but the other came to pose to us.

ame

Post by ame »

at 11.00 Halli brought food, a small vole maybe. actually it was something so tiny that it is really difficult to see it. :puzzled:

Pruuni took it out and Halli stays in the nest.

EDIT: now Halli is almost sleeping there... :sleep:
ame

Post by ame »

at 13.26 Halli began calling and he stood up, looking around. he streched a little, scratched a little. a jay called krrraahhh! and then a buzzard meow!! from the forest.

then quite silently Pruuni landed on the right branch outside the view. they looked at each other for a while (or Halli looked to the right)...
then Pruuni marched along the branch down to the nest and Halli got up to the back branch.
Imagepicasion.com

Pruuni talked a little to Halli who listened... then he took off and meowed three times on his way away from the nest.
-- Pruuni is staying.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni began to call a lot... then Halli brought a vole! :headroll:
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni acted like she didn't know what to do after Halli left her in the nest with the vole. often she flies out to eat in the forest. this time she took the vole to the other side of the nest and ate it in two or three pieces. and the jay came again! :slap: :rant:

Pruuni didn't seem to pay much attention to the jay though. the jay stayed by the nest for some minutes...
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni is incubating and keeping an eye on the surroundings. she's getting a bit bored/tired as nothing much happens. :D

every now and then her beak falls down.... :sleeping:

i'll add here one clip which was recorded in the morning at 9.25. there Halli makes one of those little round trips in the nest. they both seem to have such a habit, to strech their limbs.

these trips remind me of a book i recently read (in Finnish of course): "Voyage Autour de Ma Chambre" (Voyage around my Room) and "Expédition Nocturne Autour de ma Chambre" (Night Voyage Around My Room) by Xavier de la Maistre. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

at 17.10 Pruuni slept properly. :sleep: ...
then she woke up, then yawn... yawn - yawaawaaawnn! :mrgreen:
then she streched her tail and right wing.

Edit: at 17.40 it was time to strech the left side. :rolleyes:

it must be a very strange situation for such a creature to be immobile and off-wings for so long times. i read in a book that especially in the courtship time buzzards are in the air almost all the time.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

:hi:
18:20 - Pruuni (?) in the afternoon sun. She is beautiful.
ame

Post by ame »

she's got so shiny clear eyes! :headroll:

she began to call loud and in an aggressive kind of way at 18.42. she was looking around the nest at the same time as if someone potentially dangerous or maybe rather someone very un-welcome were flying around the nest tree. that went on till 18.47 when she began to cry less and then yawned! and then she went on calling till 18.49 when she looked to the rear right for a long time and stopped crying. all the time i could not see what it was that upset her...? :puzzled:

a few minutes later she stood up, streched a little, turned the egg and lay down again. now she's lying there as if nothing happened...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame,never a dull moment here. Your pic of the jay is splendid. :thumbs:
Thank you for all the news and videos. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

ame wrote:a jay again! :rant:
Imagepicasion.com
ame wrote:
Imagepicasion.com
Amae, I love your gifs!!! :bow: And thank you for pictures, videos and news :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

macdoum :wave: and :laugh: Lussi: the gifs are a new skill i've learned and i use it for everything like kids!
- besides i realized it's a way to get "moving" picture when VLC is not yet recording: you just have to click the snapshot button often enough.

i've been in the room next door and i haven't heard anything special. i think Pruuni has been sleeping in the nest for the most of the time like this.... :sleeping:
ame

Post by ame »

at 21.32 Pruuni suddenly woke up with a twitch!... but then she began to sleep again...

today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA1CE92C5EC3DF4E0
good night! :wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

Thanks for reports, pics and videos from the whole day, Ame :2thumbsup:

Even I looked for 3 periods during the day I haven´t seen anything to add

:offtobed:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,

Thank you for excellent show.
The picture of the jay is something extraordinary.

This bird deserves to be called with her latin name "garrius glandarius"

Borje
ame

Post by ame »

May 6th
good morning! :hi:

someone is sleeping in the sunshine... :sleeping:
(i think i hear a jay's voice in the background.... yes they are not far! :unsure: )
thank you b.h-p and borje! :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.59 Halli flew to the nest and brought a frog to the incubating Pruuni! :headroll:

she took it and flew out.
Imageonline gif creator

now Halli is in the nest.

they almost managed to do this change in secrecy. i just turned my back for a minute to collect the morning papers from the mailbox. when i returned the bird in the nest was in another position and looked more grey than before. gotch'ya! 8-)
ame

Post by ame »

at 8.12 Pruuni began calling from the forest. Halli was looking around the nest in the forest ... there were more and more Pruuni's calls. Halli did some little homework, purring to himself. then he was looking around... and then he took off! and a jay shrieked nearby almost at the same time! :shock:

then there were Pruuni's calls from far and Halli's calls from near and jay's shrieks... but then Halli returned to the nest at 8.16. maybe he just told the jay to get away from there...

Editing for correcting:Halli took off for good and it was Pruuni who returned to the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

at 8.53 two great tits dropped by to disturb Halli's morning nap.

now its head looks so dark again that i'm not 100%-sure that it is Halli... :puzzled:
it's leaning on its beak.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

@ Ame. My impression is that I have seen the same bird in nest since I opened 9.42 - but I haven´t been able to look constantly, so I cann´t say if something had happened in the meanwhile.
In the beginnning the light was very tricky, but now not that hard so I see the bird as Pruuni with the eyespots in the neck.

have a nice Sunday all of you
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”