Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

the wind is quite hard still but nevertheless every now and then i think i hear some knock-knock-sounds... with a headset and even without one.

and the egg is alone...

oh! i startled!! Halli returned... :laugh:
??!! he has brought some food with him and is eating the on the backside of the nest. this hasn't happened before. --- no i saw wrong. he didn't bring the food with him. he pulled it out of the larder: from between the twigs in the backside of the nest. :laugh:
Imagecriar gif

now he settled on the egg. boy am i happy to see him back. :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.03 Halli took off again. :faint:
before that he had been up and preening on the edge of the nest several times, but he had returned to the egg. how is he so restless again?!
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.11 a parent arrived and for a minute it sounded like it had jays coming behind , but fortunately not. it began to call loud and a lot when she discovered the nest empty. it looked so brown that i began to suspect that it was Pruuni, and so it was!
Imagefazer gif

a minute later Halli arrived with a dry stick and did he get some scolding! :rotf: Pruuni kaa'ed even louder to him. :rant:
he purred a few times as response to her. they talked like this a while and then Halli took off.
Imagefazer gifs

now Pruuni is preening herself safely on the egg. :D
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.43 Halli brought a vole or a mouse to Pruuni.
Imagecriar gif

Pruuni took it in the forest and now she's calling happily there.

Halli is staying on the egg.
ame

Post by ame »

Halli is restless today: he began to call at 16.56, got up on the back rim of the nest, looked around the forest, and what do you know: he took off! he called meow - meow - ... a long time there as he flew further away. i wonder what he saw that made him go this time. :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

17.10 a parent is back.

it's Pruuni.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame,
Halli is a restless bird,constantly on the lookout. I wonder how the egg is doing after so many periods of being left unattended ? I am surprised Pruuni is not more constant brooding the nests. I wonder if she's hungry and has to go looking for food.?
This couple are very different from the other nesting birds we watch.They never leave eggs or sometimes for a moment only. :puzzled:
I would have thought Pruuni would be sitting listening to the 'egg' now. :slap:
I think its Halli there now.
:wave:
edit. ame I see you said Pruuni is there now.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

hi macdoum! :hi:
books tell that male buzzards have different manners: some don't incubate practically at all and some release the female for a morning foraging. it seems that Halli is doing a lot of nest duty for a male buzzard. (that is should he stay at his post).

i don't remember that i had seen Pruuni leave the egg for a longer period. only in the early morning she goes somewhere for about 2 minutes. i guess she goes to have a poop somewhere far from the nest. Halli has become restless in the last week or so. he has been bringing decorations to the nursery, but where he went today i have no idea.

i think i've heard little cricking-cracking-knocking sounds along this afternoon. if that sound is what i think it is then the chick is well. :thumbs:
even at this very moment i think i hear those sounds. :innocent:
(even without a headset; and with the headset i hear a chainsaw,too... :mrgreen: ).
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni was quite perky all evening, shee preened a lot and turned a bit in the nest every now and then up till 21.15.
Imagefazer gifs

then i think she nearly fell asleep for a while. then at 21.32 she preened some more and turned a little... now she is wathcing the setting sun and listening to birds singing in the forest.

i think this was a yawn, so maybe she's getting sleepy...
[youtube]/gYt3m7Y3cPo[/youtube]
ame

Post by ame »

but no, then more preening and turning etc... but she's not showing the egg properly, only one half of it at the best.

then a little bird came to greet her. i think this may have been a chaffinch: the voice, the posture and the big white spot on the wing match.

then Pruuni combed her wings still a bit more, but maybe now she will start to sleep...
:wave:
ame

Post by ame »

at last at 22.31 Pruuni tucked her head under the wing. it seems that now she began to sleep... :sleeping: :sleeping:
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF785528BC048653F
me too :offtobed:
ame

Post by ame »

June 1st
good morning! :hi:
morning change at 5.50: Halli brought a vole which Pruuni...
Imagemake animated gifs

...who took into the forest. Halli turned the egg and stayed.
Imagehow to animate a gif

the egg looks intact i think..? :puzzled:

EDIT: i found out later from Pontu pictures that Pruuni had gone out early in the morning. in fact i managed record her outing (picture was beginning to jam in the end.)
she left at 4.10: http://youtu.be/HNJemEjRU7I
and returned at 4.12: http://youtu.be/Aj1NCJ8C1qQ
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Not sure when I opened the cam, but I missed the exposed egg. Mostly I see a sleeping Buzzard.

ame

Post by ame »

good morning Alice! :hi:
i woke up at 7.40 and after that i've seen the egg exposed more often that i'd like to. :slap:
Halli has had one these mornings of his again: out, in, out, in and out, in. three times i've seen it. i don't know how many trips he made before that. my VLC had crashed at 7.10. this morning he has brought dry sticks ao counting leaved twigs doesn't help to finf out how many times he's been out. - hmmh! the Pontu pictures will help. he usually stays out more than a minute so his neglect will not go undiscovered. :nod:

so at least three outings.

at 7.08 a jay came to greet Halli but he didn't want to listen to him talking: Halli put his head under the wing and tried to sleep (or act cool).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I thought I took a capture or two this morning of the sleeping adult, but I am not sure where they went.

I just saw someone rolling the egg. It is still very rolly.

ame

Post by ame »

Halli has made at least 6 trips (no! it's 5 trips!) this morning which i have seen. 7 trips has been his regular and he arrived from the last trip at 8.42. since that he has slept, so hopefully he'll stay home now a little longer. -from the last trip he brought a big bunch of moss.

here he returns at 7.55 with a dry stick which can barely be seen in the first approach picture.
Imagemake animated gifs

at 8.36 he brought a huge green aspen twig.

yes, Alice, the egg is rolly and i haven't heard a crick or a beep from it so far... unless maybe now some knocks..? :puzzled:
darn the wind is so loud... and the gardenwarbler, too. :D
btw in afterthought i guess that Halli "thinks" he is a responsible and caring father-buzzard, furnishing the nursery like that, and not a neglecting one. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

Halli left again at 10.01. since that the egg has been alone...

10.40: the egg is still alone.
--- guess we'll have to wait for Pruuni to come and take care of the egg.

i think i have heard some crick and knocks but it may be the wind knocking branches against each other. unfortunately Halli brought a big pinetwig at 8.26 and that is now partially in front of the egg. -and just as i wrote that the wind turned the twig so that it is even worse in front of the egg. :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

according to Pontu pictures Halli stayed at home early in the morning. before his last departure at 10.01 he made 5 short trips out of the nest:
  • left at 7.51, returned at 7.53 bringing a dry stick
    left at 7.54, returned at 7.55 bringing a dry stick (not quite sure)
    left at 8.20, returned at 8.26 bringing a big green pinetwig
    left at 8.30, returned at 8.36 bringing a big green aspen twig
    left at 8.40, returned at 8.42 bringing a big bunch of moss
then he stayed sleeping until at 10.00 he woke up, got up, scratched his head a little, preened a little, said kaa - kaa a few times, preened some more.. and then took off.
- i wish either parent would come back. :faint:
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni is back home, and just in time! the loud knocks which i've heard are getting more frequent: i think it's beginning to rain.

she turned the egg and lay down without saying anything.

-not quite rain after all, just a few drops.
ame

Post by ame »

Halli came to release Pruuni at 13.40. again the Pontu picture happens to be rather nice: Halli is approaching the nest from the left of the home tree with a vole or a mole in his claws. it looked so big in Pruuni's beak that it could have been a mole.
i like Halli's look: he is focused on Pruuni while she hasn't even noticed that Halli is coming. :D

Imagemake animated gifs

Imagemake animated gifs

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”