Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Pitti

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012

Post by Pitti »

Felis silvestris wrote:It was a very exciting and puzzling day, with topics changing names, moving, splitting ...
Yes, and sometimes I don´t know, where I am :mrgreen:

I like buzzards so much and it is pity, that this cam don´t like me. Sometimes it works and sometimes not :faint:, but I enjoyed the pictures and videos from everyone, thank you!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

We re just about to make a new topic for the Latvian webcam. We want to promote the ESTLAT joint venture.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

You will notice the revised title for this topic. We need to inlcude ESTLAT, so please see the first post on page 1 of this topic. Also, there is a topic for the Latvian webcam, too. Felis I will move your post to there.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=401
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Felis silvestris wrote:Again they had a fight, I did not get it from the beginning, but one was hanging on :shock:

:shock: Wow! They fell overboard again! I saw them chasing across the forest floor at the back.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Still fairly dark in the forest, but there is nice early morning birdsong, including some geese flying over.

Kitty KCMO
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

5:45 AM
Buteo was in the nest, digging, trying it out for size, and calling softly. Then s/he flew to the branch, and then away.

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Then it (or the other one) came back for a moment with a twig for the nest. I like how these medium sized raptors softly talk to themselves a lot.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:shake: The colors are so pretty that I did not even notice the buzzard on the back branch until it jumped into the nest.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
i opened the camera at 7.05 and no-one was there but 5 minutes the buzzard came. then it left, came, left etc. several times. i didn't see did it bring anything but i suppose so. here's the last clip i recorded starting at 7.29. in this video it is bring a bunch of something to the nest, hay maybe. if it is hay, it could be a sign of making the final touch before laying eggs begins. (patience: it comes about 30 sec from the beginning)

after that i began to make breakfast and didn't watch continuously but i heard to the kitchen the kaa - kaa-calls at least once. after that it was quiet... and the camera crashed while i was uploading videos. i think the buzzard is having a break now.
ame

Post by ame »

at 10.43 the buzzard came for a short visit, but since that it has stayed away...

BTW: the buzzard figth yesterday! :shock:
i really hope that this intruding buzzard who comes here to fight will soon stay away. :rant:
in year 2010 at the osprey's nest in Nauvo island near Turku a competing male disturbed the incubating osprey so much that it drove the parents away. it didn't take long before hooded crows came and ate the eggs and that was the end of that nesting.

Urmas L. has looked up the visit to the nest by the jays some days ago (http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/12999). it was the visit that Bea posted pictures.
it's titled: "Suurele pesale on pretendente" which i think means something like "there are competitors [for the ownership?] for a big nest". (as in "a pretender for the throne" = someone trying to take/steel the crown) -i don't think that jays would make a real threat to buzzards and their nest, no matter how big it is, not to mention that they would be capable of conquering the nest from jays. i guess that jays just gave buzzards the normal treatment. :laugh:
buzzards are enemies to jays: they see them as a threat to their own nesting.
ame

Post by ame »

at 11.41 both buzzards were there but the first left before recording started. they came maybe 2 minutes earlier: i heard calling to another room. the second stayed for some minutes, first in the nest and then on the backbranch. it left by 11.50.

at 12.00 on buzzard returned to the nest, alone this time. it was "making bed" in the nest for a wile and now it's sitting on the backbranch again. that seems to be a favourite place for them (like it was to the eagles, too.)
ame

Post by ame »

at 15.15 a buzzard visited the nest so briefly that i could only get one picture of it when it was about to leave.
the wind has been nasty all afternoon, strong and loud, and it's been cloudy.

EDIT: at 15.35 the buzzard returned and this time it stayed a little longer.

i'm sorry about the noise: the wind is loud! :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.23 a buzzard landed in the nest and began to arrange a green pinetwig on the back rim. i'm not sure did it bring the twig, because there has been one earlier...

then the other buzzard came, too.
after a while the first rose to the right branch, had a look around and took off.

a while later the other left, too.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Our two buzzards are on and off today - they are playing buzzard games today :laugh:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

the other of them was in and out again. :laugh:

i don't quite see what is the point of these visits, because mostly they don't seem to bring much anything, neither do much anything in the nest. they only say kaa - kaa a few times, climb to one of those branches and take off after looking around for a short while. it's as if they were keeping the nest on hold... :puzzled: :D

it's beginning to rain here, too. big raindrops are hitting the lens.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame wrote:at 15.15 a buzzard visited the nest so briefly that i could only get one picture of it when it was about to leave.
the wind has been nasty all afternoon, strong and loud, and it's been cloudy.]
Has anyone noticed that huge :shock: Phantom Bird there,protecting or threatening the nest. :mrgreen: ( Left of cam..I do have my moments.. :help: )
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bea

Post by Bea »

macdoum wrote: Has anyone noticed that huge :shock: Phantom Bird there,protecting or threatening the nest. :mrgreen: ( Left of cam..I do have my moments.. :help: )

macdoum, your fantasy is running wild at the moment, isn´t it ? :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

phantom bird? ... like a huge stork? ...who is looking at the nest from the forest in the back?
i think i see what you mean macdoum. :nod: :mrgreen:

it isn't raining much but all the drops seem to hit the lens.
Bea

Post by Bea »

I wonder what the phantom bird will look like when it gets leafs :mrgreen:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I see the phantom, too. I think it will vanish when the leaves grow.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”