Post by ame »

thank you venegor! :wave:
yes, the parents have left the egg. :cry:

the playlist on June 7th:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5AA026E640C4D649
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

8 June

No one home with the abandoned egg at about 3am in the morning. The night is not dark anymore as the solstice is approaching. The bird chorus lasts all night long, now.

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
it seems that the nest has been empty all morning. i saw only one little bird in the Pontu pictures and it was in the tree, not in the nest.

i heard once again a bird's voice which i don't know to whom it belongs. it's a strange bobbling voice, which i think it not the proper song but maybe rather a call of some sort (warning call maybe). i've heard it several times here in the past weeks. my guess is that it might belong to golden oriole but that is only a guess.

maybe vainamoinen could help? :hi:
it's near the end in this clip. - and maybe you could have a look at the pictures of the little visitor who has been here? :help:
ame

Post by ame »

9.28 jay at the nest.... and also in it for a second. correction: 4 seconds.
Imagehow to animate a gif

i watched the video clip again and i saw there was an elk walking in the background! :headroll:
hmmm... the picture is not very impressive i'm afraid, but it is a typical elk's profile (seen from far and unfocused 8-) ).

Imagehow to animate a gif

that must have made the splashing footsteps which i heard below the nest tree at about 9.22. :D
ame

Post by ame »

from this mornigng's Pontu pictures i found a blue tit who was investigating the nest at 7.47 - 7.48:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-08 ... -07-47.jpg
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-08 ... -07-48.jpg

first the tit took the feather which had been waving on the right side of the nest for a long time. i think the tit ate it. then the tit collected more downy feathers and took them away, to its own nest presumably. :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

at 11.00 the little grey bird came to investigate the nest. it was not in a hurry: i took a good look around the nest and finally it took some downy feathers.
i almost missed it because the light on the nest is difficult again. i took some snapshots but i simply can't see the bird in them even though it must be somewhere there. :slap:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I am so sorry that the buzzard doesn't come back. I was hoping to watch hatching and growing up of her baby. And nobody will know what happened to the buzzard family, says
a very sad Bleggi :unsure:
asteria

Post by asteria »

I think buzzard family is OK but they understood that the egg wouldn't hatch and left the nest.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good afternoon! :wave:

:peek: I think that here, in this topic is the best place to put this information...it's the old nest of Linda and Sulev.

I got from Renno a letter and one picture. Urmas did this picture with Renno's camera. :D
There are two eaglets in the new nest of Linda and Sulev...sister and brother.

Proud to be a member of SHoW
ame

Post by ame »

i had a dream last night: they had found a video clip in the Pontu archives or somewhere which showed that a WTE flew by the nest behind it in the forest. Pruuni saw the eagle and got so terrified that she decided to flee from the nest. then she stayed away too long... :unsure:
but that was only a dream. :faint: i think we'll never get to know what really happened... but i think it wasn't lack of incubation instinct (or drive or what-ever that is called) because they tried long enough after the fatal Friday.

i think Borje or someone wrote here (or i've read it somewhere else) that buzzards are extremely sensitive to human disturbance near the nest during incubation: they easily leave the nest if someone comes too near, even just for a short time. then the whole uncovered clutch will perish. something like that may have happened. unfortunately i happened to be out and the VLC crashed excactly during that half an hour period when Halli left the nest without Pruuni coming to replace him. what bad luck!
otherwise i had recording on all the time.... :faint:

i asked then and i think i'll repeat it now:
Techno-Urmas :hi:
could you dig out from the archives the videorecording from 14.40 - 15.11 on June 1st, please!!
ame

Post by ame »

Mutikluti wrote:... I think that here, in this topic is the best place to put this information...it's the old nest of Linda and Sulev. ;)

I got from Renno a letter and one picture. Urmas did this picture with Renno's camera. :D
There are two eaglets in the new nest of Linda and Sulev...sister and brother.
oh lovely!! :loveshower: :loveshower:
(i guess you mean "the new nest"?
edit: now i understand: this thread is the old nest and eaglets are in the new nest of course! :blush: )

have they been ringed? what are their numbers? :whistling:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Very interesting! :loveshower: I guessed Linda and Sulev moved like Eha and Koit last year. But what was wrong with the old nest?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

there's not necessarily anything wrong with the old nest. it is a WTE habit to have more than one nest in the territory. they may be far from each other (km's) or quite close to each other (within seeing distance). then they swop between nests from one year to the next.

i have guessed that one reason might be sanitation. :mrgreen:
nesting produces so much food debris in the nest. i've watched old videos and pictures. if there has been no wind then the nest is stable and one can see that the nest is crawling with big black flies. yak!
in one book i read about osprey nests how a person who rings osprey chicks described the "odour" of an osprey nest with the word "interesting". :rotf:

btw: Techno-Urmas gave me a quick reply to my pm about the video recordings on June 1st:
http://193.40.124.5/saunja-2012-06-01-10.wmv
http://193.40.124.5/saunja-2012-06-01-14.wmv
thank you Urmas! :wave:
i don't know yet what these's include. i'm still downloading them...
ame

Post by ame »

i think this bird who visited the nest at 14.46 is a male chaffinch. light is difficult again...
Imagecrop images

the clip is a bit colourful because i was downloading stuff at the same time and VLC began to jamm...
ame

Post by ame »

now i've watched the missing part of the video on June 1st in the afternoon when the egg was left alone for too long. as far as i could see there was nothing special there. Halli slept i think, at least he lay motionless on the egg. then he woke up gradually, turned the egg, lay down again, kaa'ed silently few times. then he got up again, kaa'ed a little more, climbed to the back branch in no hurry, stood there and rutsled his feathers and scratched his beak... and then he took off, just the way he used to. he called several times on his way out, i could hear it despite of the wind...

i could not see anything special and there were no extra sounds from the forest as far as i could hear with a headset... it seemed that he just left normally. there was nothing unnormal with the departure of Halli, but the mystery remains, i'm afraid. now the question is why didn't Pruuni come home earlier than late in the evening.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame,I guess well never know what happened unless Urmas' team find time to climb up there and take the egg. So many possibilities there and I suppose we have discussed all the possible reasons the hatch failed.
Maybe its Karma... so sorry for you (and us) after such a detailed record you did from day one.. :cry:

:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

How sad! It would have been so nice to see some new life in this next! Somehow it seems to be a bit jinxed!
Maybe next season the cam can be moved to the new nest?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

Urmas wrote once that Linda's and Sulev's new nest is not as "good" as this one, but judging by today's picture of their new offspring it is not a bad nest for them. maybe it is not as good a nest for the camera and other stuff for us. 8-)

i think there really is a crack in the egg as was seen already yesterday (or even earlier) by Asteria. - i've been surprised by the jay. it seems to have almost no clue whatsoever about what to do about the egg. it almost seems that it is a bit scared of it. i now think they were mainly after the buzzards themselves and not about what was there underneath them.

i am so disappointed about the turn of things here. it seemed to be such a unique opportunity to learn about the life of buzzards... i don't think they are on the top of the priority list of people who are setting up nest cameras, so their appearance here in front of us was a splendid surprise.

who knows what will happen next year. maybe Linda and Sulev will return. after all they've been away from here for two seasons. or maybe Pruuni and Halli will return, one year more mature and wiser.
anyways, a camera here is like fishing for salmon: it's always worth while even if there's no catch. :thumbs:

(i was a bit puzzled about the choice of words on the news on the front page, about how "experienced" or "unexperienced" the buzzards here were. if experience would help them they should be able to learn from their failure..? i'm not quite convinced about birds' ability to learn from experience as we understand it. :puzzled:
- or is it overall maturity which will increase with age? Linda and Sulev never changed incubation turnes like Mrs and Mr B did. the present parent never left before the other had arrived...)

someone is splashing downstairs... 8-)
---- no chance to see what is going on there. maybe a lonely boar as there are no voices.

BTW: there was our little frien the Little Grey Bird at the nest at 18.48 again. i managed to spot it just by accident!

today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AD7D41F94B68C6B
good night! :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Thank you, Mutikluti, for the picture & info Renno shared with you about Linda & Sulev's new nest & the happy outcome of their nesting. The eaglets look sound & healthy. I think I see a ring on one's leg (the right side one).

Ame, I share your disappointment & I was very touched by your dream. I think it is a good supposition of what may have happened. I did hear eagle calls on some day not long before the failure. And Pruuni had been so devoted to the egg, surely it was something that frightened her badly to keep her away from the nest. She couldn't have known so very close to hatching day that the egg was not good; it would have taken a few days for her to decide that, I think. But we are left with a mystery. I am impressed, though, by how nothing goes to waste in nature-- the small birds arrived right from the beginning of the end to scavenge what they could for their own use, almost as if they somehow knew immediately that there would be free resources.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

June 9th
good morning :hi:

in the early morning it was sunny.

... but now the weather looks like the may be rain on the way later today. the egg is still there.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”