Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Mutikluti

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by Mutikluti »

Good afternoon!
I got from Renno more pictures from his and Urmas visit to the new nest of Linda and Sulev.

Linda

Linda

Linda

Our Urmas with eaglets...
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Question for all of you: Is it the same Sulev who was in the old nest...? :puzzled: I think that if we can see his tail feathers then we can say exactly. :dunno:
Sulev

Sulev

Sulev
Proud to be a member of SHoW
ame

Post by ame »

Mutikluti wrote:....
Our Urmas with eaglets...
it's a shame that this picture has no sound... :whistling: ... :mrgreen:

Linda is so handsome and so is Sulev! :headroll:
- impossible to say about this male who he is without seeing the tail from up.
what makes you think this is not the same Sulev?
i have a suspicion that it was different Sulev in 2009 and 2010 but i haven't studied the tails of the male thoroughly yet...
ame

Post by ame »

i looked through the Pontu pictures from this morning and i found more little bird visitors.
at 5.48 two great tits, maybe a couple, investigated the nest.
the other tit is in the next P-picture, too, but it's not at all easily seen next to the egg.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -05-48.jpg

the next visitor was a nuthatch, who was looking at the nest at 8.16.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -08-16.jpg

the next one at 10.18 may also be the nuthatch, but i'm not sure about it. it can be the Little Greyish-Brown Bird as well.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -10-18.jpg
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Mutikluti wrote:Question for all of you: Is it the same Sulev who was in the old nest...? :puzzled: I think that if we can see his tail feathers then we can say exactly. :dunno:
:hi: Mutikluti
Thanks so much for more news about Linda and Sulev - it´s a really pleasure to know they are fine and doing well in their new tree :loveshower:

Concerning Sulev - it´s hard to say if it´s the same Sulev as earlier from these photos - although nice :thumbs: .

Of course it would help if we could see his tail from above - but then nevertheless not at this time of the year.

According to my experiences - 7 years watching the same eaglepair in "my" landscape, I have seen changes because of moulting of the feathers with tailspots in this time of the year.
The female here have large, very visible (also on distance) tailspots. And every year in the beginning of May she begins to moult these feathers which gives another appearence. She also looses these feathers in the very same way every year. First late Summer or beginning of Autumn she again is complete, then these spots is a way to know for sure that she is her unless one knows her very well.
This had happened every single year I have known her. So I now believe that to identifie a WTE by tailspots only is just possible during Autumn/Winthertime.

edit: I made a mistake in the fourth last line, sorry. Of course the right is ..........that these spots is not a way to know for sure...........
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:good morning! :hi:
it seems that the nest has been empty all morning. i saw only one little bird in the Pontu pictures and it was in the tree, not in the nest.

i heard once again a bird's voice which i don't know to whom it belongs. it's a strange bobbling voice, which i think it not the proper song but maybe rather a call of some sort (warning call maybe). i've heard it several times here in the past weeks. my guess is that it might belong to golden oriole but that is only a guess.

maybe vainamoinen could help? :hi:
it's near the end in this clip. - and maybe you could have a look at the pictures of the little visitor who has been here? :help:
Voice is very silent in my computer. I think this is voice of female cuckoo
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:i'm sorry Borje, i was joking, just as Alice guessed. it started at the seal island where these unidentifiable little grey birds were seen. we called them Kleine Braune Vögel (Little Brown Birds), which then was shortened to KBV. i think Fleur introduced the name.. :puzzled:

these birds of this one bird has looked more grey so i called it Kleiner Grauer Vogel, KGV. this morning in the soft light it can be seen that its back is actually brownish-grey, so i renamed it Kleiner Brauner und Grauer Vogel.

now i think i saw the male bird invertigating the nest. it looked like a blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). could the previous bird have been Mrs Blackcap?

vainamoinen... :help:

this a blackcap in autumn colours (i don't know is this a male or female; looks like female with the brown cap)
copyright Henri Selin.
this if any is a KGV! :laugh:
Yes, in this clip is male Sylvia atricapilla, but in the top clip?? I don' t know exactly. KBV is much more complex issues for me than bird voices :banghead:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:i looked through the Pontu pictures from this morning and i found more little bird visitors.
at 5.48 two great tits, maybe a couple, investigated the nest.
the other tit is in the next P-picture, too, but it's not at all easily seen next to the egg.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -05-48.jpg

the next visitor was a nuthatch, who was looking at the nest at 8.16.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -08-16.jpg

the next one at 10.18 may also be the nuthatch, but i'm not sure about it. it can be the Little Greyish-Brown Bird as well.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -10-18.jpg
I think bird in lower picture is Whitethroat (Sylvia communis)
ame

Post by ame »

thank you vainamoinen for the identifications! :wave:
i found a sound sample of the female cuckoo's call. she's calling between a male cuckoo's cuckoos. :mrgreen:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/upload ... -06-03.mp3

it is exactly the bubbling call which i have heard here often. the sound on your computer was good enough so you identified it. :thumbs:

the last, the common whitethroat is sooo brownish-grey little bird as can be! they are impossible... :laugh:
here's a picture by Tomi Muukkonen:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Thank you , Mutikluti, for the information & pictures from Linda & Sulev's new nest. They all look well & healthy. :loveshower: But the tree does not look like it would support a camera very easily for next year . . . :sad:

And thank you, Ame, for identifying the hawfinch I caught in my video. It is a handsome bird.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Linda sure looks beautiful and it appears the parents did not disappear completely with the youngsters were banded.

About Sulev -- do birds typically nest in the area/general region that they grew up? I remember something about Linda being atypical because she is from a more inland area and yet she gets to nest in more coastal region. We saw many birds at the winter feeding ground without bands but how many of those are local? But I suppose Linda could take her pick of males for a new partner, if she needed to, since she has a good nesting territory.

Unless I saw Sulev behaving very differently, I would prefer to think it is our Sulev.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
and a busy morning it has been! i started recording in the morning again to get clips of the little visitors which i dig up from the Pontu pictures.
the Grey Little Bird was investigating the nest at 5.40. unfortunately it is so unphotogenic: it's impossible to get decent snapshots of it. :slap:

at 5.46 a female hawfinch came to the nest and was searching for something (presumably nest materials) next to the egg. she was joined by the male who came to see what she was up to. then they left one after another...

... they didn't go far however: the video showed that they were rustling and searching branches in the tree in the background on the left ... then at 5.50 they both came to the nest: first female and then the male. it seems that this is one of those species in which the female builds the nest, and the male's contribution to the building project is to watch the female work and to look corgeous himself. 8-)

ame

Post by ame »

at 6.43 a great tit came to the nest and was followed by the female hawfinch.

i think that the great tit felt that it had to go.

the great tit remained somewhere close (and invisible) complaining to the hawfinch. she left but still the great tit complained.

at 6.48 a great tit began to sing next to the nest... and one came to the nest to investigate what could be found there. it was interesting to see how all the little bird today tried to pull something right next to the egg if not even from under it. to the egg they seemed to pay any attention however.
ame

Post by ame »

at 8.06 the Little Grey bird returned to search the nest.

...and again at 8.16.
ame

Post by ame »

good evening! :hi:
now i've had time to look through today's Pontu pictures and i found out that the hawfinch has come to the nest several times during the day and apparently not for flash visits only.
first it was here at 9.53 - 9.54 (all the following pictures are extracts from Pontu pictures). it might be the female first and then the male a minut later. .. or is it the same bird? :puzzled:
Image..Image
ame

Post by ame »

... continued...
at 12.32 - 12.33 was the next visit.

Image the female again... ? :puzzled:

then at 17.32: ................................... and at 17.50:
Image..Image
it must have spent most time near the egg.
(it's most probable to capture a picture of it where it spends most time in the nest...)
ame

Post by ame »

.... continued....
at 18.17 -18.19 there has been a longer stay. it's a pity that there's no recording of it. :slap:
clearly the bird has been up to something around the egg... it looks like the female.
Image..Image..Image

the last visit i spotted in the Pontu pictures (so far) was a t 18.24: again near the egg.
ame

Post by ame »

it seems that the hawfinch returned again at 20.05 and stayed long: till 20.09! in every Pontu picture in this period it is doing something next to the egg. :puzzled:
at 20.05 ................................. 20.06.................................. 20.07
Image.. Image..Image

at 20.08 ................................. 20.09
Image..Image

and then again at 20.22 ............... and 20.23
Image..Image
ame

Post by ame »

oh boy she was there at the minute i was writing the last note! fortunately i heard the rustle (i had minimized the VLC-window) and i saw her. for some reason the little twigs under the egg are the best and she's taking great pains to pull them out of there. :D
poor Mrs Hawfinch! she's toiling from dusk till dawn... :faint:

edit: at 21.43 there was this voice, just a few calls. could it be...?

apropos, this reminded me: Kitty :hi:
i think that we can expect that Linda and Sulev move back "home" here after two years of absence, so i wouldn't move the camera at this stage. 8-)

edit again: i think it was a fake eagle after all: just a songthrush imitating an eagle. there was a less skillful imitation a littl after the first one.

now i'll :offtobed: , good night!
borje

Post by borje »

From what I have read, a nest of this kind might very well be useful for a hawfinch couple.High up in this kind of tree and a large nest.
I believe however it might be a little late in the season, and the precense of the buzzard egg to irritating.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”