Post by ame »

Pruuni is still perky in the nest.
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DCEE5617D9A2A42
good night! :wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

macdoum wrote:P.S Just to be complete; .... :D ..... :wave:

edit;Jo,or anyone maybe these two posts should go to ''How do you say' part..?
I enjoyed these posts. They are a part of the nest history! Let's leave them here.
Macdoum, if you want, please put them on "How do you say" as well.

But, for me, gloating isn't quite the same flavour as schadenfreude.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote: :puzzled: the web dictionary gives the word schadenfreude when i looked up what is the word describing being happy or feeling joy about someone else's hardship or unluck... does this mean that the english don't have this feeling but have to borrow the word from German language?[/size][/color]
LOL! :rotf: I don't know about the English, but we Americans certainly feel that feeling, & many of us are descended from the English! I like the word "schadenfreude," to me it just sounds like what it is, malicious delight in another's misfortune! Gloating is close, but seems not to have quite the necessary delight, more a sense of satisfaction than delight. At least, in my opinion . . . :laugh:
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:
edit 2nd time: Börje :hi: , i wish i could share your optimism about the fight with the jay being over after the little hawklet has hatched... :unsure:

btw: what is a hawk chick called? :puzzled: i don't think there's any word like a buzzardlet, is there? 8-)
Ame, I think the formal word for a hawk infant is eyass (pronounced "EYE-ess"), but I have also seen hawklet used. I don't know if there is a special word for infant buzzards, but everything I have found about hawks & buzzards suggests they are essentially the same, just called differently in the Old World & the New. Although some people would prefer to keep the word "chick" only to designate baby chickens & domestic fowl, I think we could use chick here if we want to do.

By the way, I heard what sounded like fireworks here about an hour or so ago. Is / was there a special holiday in Estonia?
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Sunday 27 May

The forest is buzzing with bird song but the buzzard, Pruuni I think is fast asleep.

I will probably call it is chick and a hawklet -- but first a chick, or to quote macdoum a bobble head.
ame

Post by ame »

i get a white screen but it has been on when Alice looked....? :puzzled:
(thank you Alice!)
the camera has been off in several mornings in the early hours but now it past 7.
not now pleease... :bash:

:help: :help:

edit: at 7.30 the camera clicked and restarted!! :headroll: Pruuni is still in nest duty but awake. it looks humid and/or wet but Pruuni looks dry. maybe it is just dew and mist which has not yet dried because it's cloudy.
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.50 some bird whistled many times (i counted at least 14 in this clip) rather far from the nest.
is it a tawny owl? :puzzled: :help:
Pruuni was doing homework at the time. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

at 10.03 Pruuni began to call and she looked around her at the forest. she called and called ....
then finally Halli came. they talked a little and then Halli took off again. he didn't bring anything.

after he had left Pruuni was silent for a while (surprised? - i was.) then shen called again for some time and looked around and around (maybe Halli was flying around the nesttree?).
then she concluded that Halli wasn't coming back, did some home work and settled.

EDIT: i made gifs of Halli's visit. their talking was again more like Pruuni talked and Halli listened. :mrgreen:

Imageredimensionar imagenes online

Imagegifs make
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Kitty KCMO wrote: Ame, I think the formal word for a hawk infant is eyass (pronounced "EYE-ess"), but I have also seen hawklet used. I don't know if there is a special word for infant buzzards, but everything I have found about hawks & buzzards suggests they are essentially the same, just called differently in the Old World & the New. Although some people would prefer to keep the word "chick" only to designate baby chickens & domestic fowl, I think we could use chick here if we want to do.

By the way, I heard what sounded like fireworks here about an hour or so ago. Is / was there a special holiday in Estonia?
Kitty, I heard fireworks here, too, last night. I thought it must be something to do with the Eurovision song contest - parties, perhaps. (I voted for the Estonian song/singer)

In my mind any young bird is a chick.
ame

Post by ame »

at 10.59 Pruuni began to call again... no-one has come so far... now she stopped.

the Eurovision song contest came to my mind, too, when i read what Kitty wrote about the fireworks. it is a big thing in Estonia. :nod: - i had to check: Sweden won (again!). congratulations! :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni has called for Halli every now and then and at 12.01 someone meowed from far as a reply. but no: it was the jay again who came to entertain Pruuni again. the jay sang at her, made attack dives on her and purred and chattered... Pruuni, however, was not amused. she kaa'ed back in an annoyed tone. then while Pruuni was zooming up after the jay a little bird visited the rim of the nest behind her back! it must have come to see what the racket was about. :laugh:

it was maybe a willow tit or maybe a blackcap..? :puzzled:

Imageredimensionar imagem

after this the jay went away, after about 15 minutes.
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:at 7.50 some bird whistled many times (i counted at least 14 in this clip) rather far from the nest.
is it a tawny owl? :puzzled: :help:
Pruuni was doing homework at the time. :rolleyes:
It is definitely not the voice of tawny owl. I think it is a distant cry of crane.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni was in deep sleep at 13.30 when Halli landed almost on her back. they talked: Pruuni kaa'ed and Halli purred. Halli got up on the back branch and scratched his ear a bit... he hadn't brought any food for Pruuni and she sounded a bit cross at him. then he jumped back into the nest and Pruuni jumped on the back branch and took off. Halli is staying on the egg.

thank you vainamoinen! :wave:
the call sounded cranish but usually two cranes call to each other. this was a loner.
ame

Post by ame »

Halli was in a deep-deep sleep when Pruuni arrived at 16.56. she brought a small bunch of dry hay with her.
Imagewww.picasion.com

they talked a little, this time very softly. it seemed that it wasn't easy for Halli to wake up. then he got up and took off.
Imagewww.picasion.com

Pruuni stays on the egg.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni has been preening herself both lying down and standing up. she has stood by the egg and looked at it keenly three times after she came, and she has maybe listened to it. alas the wind is so hard that it's impossible to hear what she has possibly heard. :slap:

now someone kaa'ed from the forest and Pruuni began to call back. maybe this time it's Halli calling from the forest. they don't usually reply to jay's calls....

EDIT: i think it was Halli who was calling from the forest. he was kaa'ing, too, like Pruuni who kaa'ed a lot to him. the jay calls with a long trembling voice and Halli and Pruuni never reply to that call.

at 17.58 more Halli's kaa's from the forest... Pruuni listens. the calls seem to come from same direction and distance. what's up there? :puzzled:

EDIT 2nd time at 18.07: after the last remark it has been quiet. Pruuni is still looking to the back at the forest...
ame

Post by ame »

at 18.39 Pruuni was preening herself very profoundly for a long time and in the end she managed to pull off a big feather from the end of her tail.
Imagewww.picasion.com

now the striped tail feather is lying next to her in the nest.

evening birds are singing in lovely sounds. :rolleyes:
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8C42E5F0A74CC8BB

i'll call it a night even though the sun is still shining. :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you ame for all of today's observations. :2thumbsup:
Pruuni listening to the egg,maybe.. a good sign. :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

May 28th
good morning! :hi:
today within an hour the egg will be exactly 30 days old. the nestling book (viewtopic.php?p=140316#p140316) said that it'll take 33-35 days to hatch so there should be still be a few days to go... :innocent:

Halli came early this morning to release Pruuni from nest duty. here's from the Pontu archive at 4.57 the whole family: Pruuni on the left and Halli on the right.

it seems that Pruuni was sleeping before Halli came and that Halli brought a fresh green twig with him when he came.

EDIT: i discovered later from the Pontu pictures that Pruuni was away from the nest at 4.43-4.45. maybe she went to the loo or something but at 4.46 she was back on the egg.

EDIT 2nd time: i found out based from the Pontu-pictures that Halli brought a green twig from the home tree at 6.51.
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.35 two jays came to pay their morning respects to Halli. 8-)
the other is on the branch in the upper left corner.

Imagewww.picasion.com

Imagewww.picasion.com

charming creatures... not. - they stayed till about 7.48.
ame

Post by ame »

another jay visit at 9.04. this time i think it was only one jay. this one made a few shrieky shrieks, and did not sing at Halli.

Imagewww.picasion.com

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”