Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

13.24 Halli got up and looked carefully with his neck extended to the right.. kaa'ed a few times and took off at 13.25.

... and Halli returned with a rather big dry stick at 13.33.
ame

Post by ame »

14.55 nest is empty... is it raining..? :puzzled:

from Pontu pictures can be seen that he got up at 14.04. then he moved to the back branch and preened there for some time...

... and took off at 14.13.
ame

Post by ame »

a little bird investigated the nest at 15.01 for about 4.5 minutes. it found a big feather, almost as long as itself, and flew away with it. (i've encircled them here)

edit: it soon returned and looked for another for a loooong time, about 7 minutes... finally it settled with several small downy feathers. :D
(beak with feathers is on the left side, then the rest of the bird and the the egg to the right.)

it's looking for nest material for its own family. :innocent:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Wow,I see both buzzards on the nest. They seem to be having a serious conversation.A moment ago the nest was empty.
16:36 Pruuni is brooding. I didn't see where Halli went..

Switching off for a while..
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

16.34 Pruuni flew to the nest and climed in to roll the egg.
Imagemake gifs

Halli followed almost on her tail. he had a mouse (or a vole. or a shrew? rather long "face" it had..) and Pruuni grabbed it instantly. then she first put it inside the nest material....

Imagemake gif

... but after a second's consideration took it out again and gobbled it in one swallow! and it wasn't the smallest prey that i've seen here.

the Pontu picture is also worth having a look at. if one takes about a 1000 pictures a day one is bound to strike the nail every now and then. :laugh:
here's a crop:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-05 ... -16-34.jpg
then she thanked him chirping to him. Halli took off.

Pruuni is staying in the nest. she's arranging the nest materials.
it's so good to see them together and Halli taking care of her. :loveshower:

and it is a relief to see that also Halli is gradually loosing his interest in the nest. it was heartbraking to watch him struggle to maintain business as usual yesterday.
ame

Post by ame »

the eggs seems to be alone again...
it seems that Pruuni left 19.36 after she seemingly saw something interesting out in the forest (flying by).

she returned at 20.02: landed first on the lower right branch and then she came in.
asteria

Post by asteria »

20.22 Not alone anymore.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

at 20.11 Pruuni got up, kaa - kaa'ed to the right... and then Halli came bringing food (a small mammal). Pruuni took off immediately and Halli stayed in the nest. Pruuni kept calling from the forest for a short while.
ame

Post by ame »

at 20.29 it seems that Halli has fallen asleep in the nest. :sleep: :sleep:

not quite yet!
at 20.31:
ame

Post by ame »

... but now he is sleeping, has been at least since 20.38. :nod:
it sounds like rain...
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2B1D17EAAB998D2A
ame

Post by ame »

June 6th
good morning! :hi:
Halli seems to be in the nest still, sleeping. this is special: he stayed there in the evening, which is unusual. secondly it's so late and it's still him... :puzzled:

at 4.20:

at 7.46 (like a copy of the last picture yesterday...)

at 7.49 some jays came to shout nearby and Halli woke up. (he still doesn't look very sharp. 8-) ) ... the jays went away...
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Even though we know the egg is not going to hatch unless a real miracle does occur, it is very touching to see how devoted Halli is to the incubation duties. But eventually his hormones will shift & he will depart. He shall probably be happier then, too, as he will be more active & free.

BTW, that little bird that has been coming into the nest to look at Halli or to take twigs out when he is gone is quite a bold little bird! :whistling: It had better take care or it may become lunch!
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

i think that the little bird was conscious about the danger: it stood on the rim for a long time before it began to search for feathers. - on the other hand, it has looked like the same (kind of) bird who has been visiting an incubating buzzard many times these past days. that bird behaved rather fearlessly. :D

Halli woke up, did his morning toalett and took off at 8.35.

at 8.40 he returned with something which looked like a bunch of lichen... maybe.
asteria

Post by asteria »

So the egg is empty indeed. Hope Halli and Pruuni realized it too, unlike the Penguin from this very sad animation.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

asteria wrote:So the egg is empty indeed. Hope Halli and Pruuni realized it too, unlike the Penguin from this very sad animation.
Oh, Asteria, that was a very sad little movie.

So now it is very late for me & I shall log off. Goodnight / Good day to all. Enjoy the cam activities today & I shall see the photos & movies when I come back later. Now I am :offtobed: & soon :sleeping: .

:wave:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote:Even though we know the egg is not going to hatch unless a real miracle does occur, it is very touching to see how devoted Halli is to the incubation duties. But eventually his hormones will shift & he will depart. He shall probably be happier then, too, as he will be more active & free. ...
yes, it's interesting to see that it's the male who seems to be more persistant in taking care of the nest. and after all it was Pruuni who failed to return to the nest early enough last Friday. since then it seems as if Halli has come to check the nest more often than earlier and he has stayed if the nest has been unoccupied.

good night Kitty, see you tomorrow. :wave:

Halli got up at 9.35, scrathed and preened again on the rim of the nest for some time and then took off at 9.36.

at 9.46 he returned with a fresh green aspen twig, arranged it a little, lay down on the egg after rolling it many times (the stubborn egg rolled back to point A many times after Halli had got it to point B.)

then he mainly slept in the nest i think.
(i wasn't watching, just looked into Pontu pictures and then looked up in the recordings the interesting parts)
ame

Post by ame »

at 9.49 Pruuni arrived and they talked a little. Halli got up on the back branch and took off. Pruuni stayed on the egg.

then Pruuni has stayed there and it seems that she has mainly slept there like Halli did earlier.
(same reservations here as above: deduced from P-pictures.)
ame

Post by ame »

it seems that Pruuni stayed rather long on this brooding session. if she has been out then she has managed to return soon enough to be not caugth absent by the Pontu camera.

she left at 14.03: simply got up, streched her wings and took off without saying anything. she had been calling sometimes though. i heard her at least at about 12.05 and later at 13.00. (i have checked every now and then.)

EDIT: i found out in the evening that Halli had come home at 14.31.

i've been away from the cam so much that i'm getting confused, sorry. i'm sorting out these clips in the evening....
asteria

Post by asteria »

The parent somehow is sitting on the branch, the egg is with crash(?)
ame

Post by ame »

i was wondering about the same thing, Asteria. the egg seems to have a dark stripe on the other end... :puzzled: but i've often seen that it has spots or stripes and the next hour they were gone.. the light is a bit difficult so it is not easy to see.

there were also flies walking on the aspen leaves next to the egg and i saw earlier today how a lot of black flies were flying around Pruuni's head. if the egg is cracked and it smells so that it attracts flies then one should think that the buzzards would give up soon... but there may be rotting voles or mice or other prey between the nest materials, though i've never seen Halli hiding anything there. Pruuni has always taken everything out with her. only once i saw how Halli took a mammal out of the larder and ate it at the nest.

Halli was sitting on the backbranch and preening himself at 15.10- 15.21. he called silently kaa - kaa a few times there... but returned to the nest for some time.

then finally Halli began to call louder, stood up and took off at 15.28. he still kaa'ed somewhere rather near, but now it has been quiet....

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”