Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

at the moment Halli is sleeping in the beautiful evening sun. he is like in a soft spotlight. :innocent:

.. and exactly when i had finished writing that a raven called RONK! somewhere nearby and snap! in a millisecond Halli was wide awake, looking where the voice came from... :shock:
... but no danger.
btw: at home today i saw a quarrel of three birds in the trees: two birds were chasing a third. when i looked closer i saw that the two birds were thrushes of some sort, fieldfares or redwings, and the third was a jay which was having a hard time being harassed by the thrushes which were smaller than it. boy did i laugh! :rotf: i though "aha! now you get your own medicine!" (even though it of course wasn't the same jay as the one who has been harassing Mr and Mrs B... :whistling: )
hmm..? :puzzled: the web dictionary gives the word schadenfreude when i looked up what is the word describing being happy or feeling joy about someone else's hardship or unluck... does this mean that the english don't have this feeling but have to borrow the word from German language?
ame

Post by ame »

at 19.05 Pruuni arrived and released Halli.
Imagehow do you make a gif

he had to strech his wings before he took off. they talked a little.

ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni is sleeping in the nest. :sleeping: :sleeping:
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL630B3E6896C49B65

good night! :wave:
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,

When the chick comes out, I´m sure the fight with the jays is over.
Why , just one egg. Perhaps starting was too late and surrondings not ideal.

Nevertheless, we are watching nature at its best.

Including the jays - if you can excuse me.

Börje
borje

Post by borje »

Jays are birds of the deep forest. Not so often seen
Not like other crow family birds.
Naturally I don´t like them attacking nesting other species.
Remember, you are watching wonders in real life thru our webb cameras.
There is nothing we can influence, just watch the wonders.
Börje
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Schadenfreude is used in other languages too but english equivelant:
English equivalents Wikipedia;

Little-used English words synonymous with schadenfreude have been derived from the Greek word, epichairekakia (ἐπιχαιρεκακία).[2][3] Nathan Bailey's 18th-century Universal Etymological English Dictionary, for example, contains an entry for epicharikaky that gives its etymology as a compound of ἐπί epi (upon), χαρά chara (joy), and κακόν kakon (evil).[4][5] A popular modern collection of rare words, however, gives its spelling as "epicaricacy".[6]

An English expression with a similar meaning is "Roman holiday", a metaphor taken from the poem Childe Harold's Pilgrimage by George Gordon, Lord Byron, where a gladiator in Ancient Rome expects to be "butcher'd to make a Roman holiday" while the audience would take pleasure from watching his suffering. The term suggests debauchery and disorder in addition to sadistic enjoyment.[7]

Another phrase with a meaning similar to Schadenfreude is "morose delectation" ("delectatio morosa" in Latin), meaning "the habit of dwelling with enjoyment on evil thoughts".[8] The medieval church taught that morose delectation was a sin.[9][10] French writer Pierre Klossowski maintained that the appeal of sadism is morose delectation.[11][12]

An English word of similar meaning is "gloating", where "gloat" is defined as "to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight" (gloat over an enemy's misfortune).[13]

[edit] Related words
ame,I suppose you gloated over the jays misfortunes... :mrgreen:
After watching days of jay's attacks on the buzzards nest you felt a secret joy...'revenge is mine'.. :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

P.S Just to be complete;
Schadenfreudeˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/ (German: [ˈʃaːdənˌfʁɔʏdə]) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages, and has been calqued in Danish and Norwegian as skadefryd and in Swedish as skadeglädje and Finnish as vahingonilo.
.... :D ..... :wave:

edit;Jo,or anyone maybe these two posts should go to ''How do you say' part..?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

As humans I think it is just our nature to side with whomever we are watching, here buzzards -- somewhere else jays.

Mostly, luckily we cannot have much influence over the animals we see.

(I am thinking of the Pine Marten who ate an egg from the Owl nest -- I was traumatized at first, and then thankful the Marten was trapped and moved and then so happy the poor owl couple did not have to raise 5 chicks -- 4 were plenty.)

I think our jay couple is much more likely to get the chicks of a small bird than to make off with our Buzzard chick, but we shall see.
beans

Post by beans »

Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
ame

Post by ame »

May 26th
good morning! :hi:

thank you beans for the breakfast video! :wave:

Imagehow do you make a gif

i think it was a mouse: it had a long tail and it seemed to have big ears.
in this gif i've highlighted the best picture by inserting it for a longer time.
Imagepicture to gif

Pruuni took the mouse into the forest.
Imagehow do i make a gif

i've recorded a 3 and half- hour video in the morning and i'm sorting it so slowly....
ame

Post by ame »

it was raining in the early morning. at 5.02 a flock of geese flew over the forest. just when i thought that they all had gone up North already. and that wasn't all: at 9.35 another flock of geese flew over.

a woodpidgeon came to say good morning to Pruuni at 7.05. first it sat somewhere outside of the picture and coo'ed a little.

then it flew to the backbranch. it sang a little to Pruuni. :whistling:

it left at about 7.14.
i've replaced the bad-sound-quality videos with decent ones.
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.36 Pruuni got up and took off. maybe she went to loo? it gives me shivers to see her go like that, leaving the egg alone...

two minutes later she returned and right in her wake the jay followed! :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

Halli was taking the nest duty, sleeping... at 10.58 he woke up, got up, preened a little and turned the egg. then he settled down and talked a little to himself. :rolleyes:

at 11.04 someone crashed on the side of the nest somewhere... then kaa'ed loudly: yes it was the jay again!

macdoum wrote:Schadenfreude is used in other languages too but english equivelant...
ame,I suppose you gloated over the jays misfortunes... :mrgreen:
After watching days of jay's attacks on the buzzards nest you felt a secret joy...'revenge is mine'.. :whistling:

yeah, i gloated out loud! :mrgreen:
- Pruuni's occasional excursions out of the nest make me worried but i suppose she knows what she's doing... hopefully
ame

Post by ame »

at 11.25 Halli woke up, got up to straighten his limbs. then he made his round-trip further than usual: to the back branch and back. when he settled back down he purred a little to himself again. that's a cute habit he has.

at 11.43 he made a trip to the front rim of the nest. otherwise the same procedure as earlier, including the concluding purrs. :D

and another trip at 12.48: this time to the back left and back. :laugh:
he looks so perky that i guess he wouldn't mind if Pruuni came to release him.
ame

Post by ame »

at 13.42 Halli got up and climbed out of the nest along the big branch on the right. after a short while he returned with a fresh aspentwig. leaves look bigger than yesterday.

EDIT: a new trip out and a new twig at 13.48. :shake:
second trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALHeZrDOpc
EDIT 2nd time: and another trip at 13.50! :rolleyes:

EDIT 3rd time: a new trip at 13.52 and a new twig!! :shake:
fourth trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbP6M8Ishu0
EDIT: out again at 13.56.... and a new twig!! :loveshower:
fifth trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxoHZH5p9Tw
ame

Post by ame »

Halli is having anearly manic burst of activity! i've almost lost count of his trips... it's number 8 or so....? :puzzled:
number 5: http://youtu.be/fxoHZH5p9Tw
number 6: http://youtu.be/v0Yv9NioFas
number 7: http://youtu.be/wDjmriuJFuc

he's out again. he must be furnishing the nursery. :rolleyes:

edit: this time Halli returned at 14.29 and was followed by the jay, which is now making an arguement there. :rant:
i think this was twig number 9!
ame

Post by ame »

at 14.36 Pruuni arrived and they talked a little. then Halli took off. the Jay made some remarks of his own in the backround.

then at 14.38 Halli brought another twig with leaves! they talked together and the jay shrieked nearby... then Halli took off and Pruuni stayed arranging the new twigs. the nest is quite a jungle now. :laugh:

Edit: Halli made 10 trips out of the nest, the last when Pruuni was already in. i could not see if he brought a twig on every trip but i think so. the light is tricky out there with the shadows and bright light changing rapidly so it was difficult to see.

edit 2nd time: Börje :hi: , i wish i could share your optimism about the fight with the jay being over after the little hawklet has hatched... :unsure:

btw: what is a hawk chick called? :puzzled: i don't think there's any word like a buzzardlet, is there? 8-)
ame

Post by ame »

at about 17.30 the jay came to entertain Pruuni by singing at her. 8-)
Imagegif make

it's funny and perculiar that it really sings and not shrieks, at least not all the time. this time it was very near to the microphone.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame,life is certainly lively here. Is Halli expecting a hatch....bringing twigs,lots of presents.?
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

macdoum :hi:
i counted: this should be day 28 so it should be too early for hatching tomorrow or so, but maybe Halli is hearing something from inside the egg. anyways i think he is decorating the nursery for the baby. it's getting exciting! :headroll:

btw: the jay was here again at about 18.30. i heard the voice but did not see it. there were also voices like two meows at the same time from a little further. i don't know if they were they Mr B and Mr J talking. Mrs B stayed cool in the nest.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”