Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

i'm sorting out my videos and found this. can anyone say what insect is creeping here? :D
at 22.17:

at 22.31 some birds were still singing even though it was raining and it could not be warm. this time of the year the weather can't be too bad for singing...

btw: now Halli is sleeping in the nest, leaning on his beak. it's terribly windy, but the sun peeked about a half an hour ago. :peek:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Ame, I am so happy and relieved that both Pruuni and Halli is ok :loveshower: :loveshower: I hope everything is ok with the egg.Thank you for pictures and videos :wave:

Nb: I was reading an old study (1994) of norwegian Buzzards. It said that the Buzzards are not very tolerant of human activity. Even activity several hundred meters from their nest area can keep them so long gone from the nest that the egg/fetus or chicks do not make it. Eggs can also be abandoned after nest surveys.
ame

Post by ame »

Halli began his out-in-activity again. he has done at least two shorter trips. i haven't checked all yet, but at least once he brought a twig. (why do these things always happen when i turn my back for a second? :slap: )

the last time he left at 15.58 and now he is staying away, so it's 26 minutes absence so far. -i'm afraid that the embryo did not survive in yesterday's weather for 4.5 hours. :unsure: in fact, i think it would be a miracle if it did.

Lussi: i don't remember hearing anything special yesterday. on Thursday evening i heard a car horn honk, but that voice came from the road which is maybe a km away (i don't remember exactly; the traffic sounds, e.g. ambulance or police car sirens can be heard from there on windless times.) - but, as i wrote yesterday, i don't have Pruuni's departure on video because VLC had just crashed! Murphy's law again! :faint:

maybe Techno-Urmas could/would dig that missing part up from the archives? the time 14.35 - 15.12. :help:
ame

Post by ame »

it seems that Halli left for the first time at 15.43, after some preening and purring on the rim. he returned at 15.52, seemingly empty-beaked.
departure: http://youtu.be/qNayNj96bXc
return: http://youtu.be/zNh6t8RZ5vQ

for the second trip he left at 15.55 after less hesitation. he returned at 15.58 bring a geen tip of a pinetwig. then he lay down for less than a minute and took off again, and has been away since that.
departure:

return. here comes the pinetwig:
[youtube]/uKVjS9w-5YE[/youtube]

and the final departure: http://youtu.be/miUNS3jKjEs

i've been thinking that this "restlessness" as i called it might have been nest decorating activity which might have been triggered by some voices that the embryo began to make in the egg about a week ago. Halli seemed to be decorating the nursery. why he "forgets" to return after one such trip like today i don't understand.
on previous days he made those trips one after an other with short intervals. then he lay in the nest for a longer time before finally getting out and not returning.

45 minutes now and still counting...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame.. :hi: Well now we know that both parents are alive and well. One bit of good news.
Now,we wait for the miracle. :innocent:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

at 17.19 a parent returned but before that VLC had been jamming and then my web connection failed. the last thing i saw was a flash of a parent who had landed on the nest. talking about Mr Murphy and his law! :banghead:
these are the five decent pictures i got the returning bird.
Imagemake gif

and this is the clip. (don't get alarmed, you're not hallucinating. :whistling: )

it seems to be Pruuni.

i later thought that it is actually Pruuni who forgets to return from her lunch hour. she stays away too long and then Halli becomes restless. maybe..? :puzzled:
maybe she saw or heard something scary yesterday, like an eagle maybe, like Kitty wrote. Pruuni defended herself so bravely and victoriously against the marten but an eagle would be too much for her. :shock:
borje

Post by borje »

After all, the events in the nest might be quite normal för buzzards.
Maybe this is the first time around for the couple. A bit unusual with one egg only.
It is also the first time for us visitors to follow buzzard nesting in such detail.

Thank you Ame for your marvelous work giving us all this information.
asteria

Post by asteria »

We have never watched nesting buzzards so we don't know what is normal for them and what is wrong, but I think to leave the egg without protection for such a long time is weird. Unless it is "empty".
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
maertha

Post by maertha »

I´m glad that both are back. Let´s keep our fingers crossed :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

a food delivery by Halli! :shake:
it seems to be a HUGE vole or maybe rather a mole from the same lot as the prey in earlier today. :D

Imagemake an animated gif

Pruuni takes it to the forest and calls from there (cheerfully i think :D ).
Imagemake an animated gif

the wind is still very strong but it's not raining and it seems that it's not so dark as it was in the afternoon.

it seems that Halli fell asleep right away. the bad weather has been very tirering. :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

borje wrote:After all, the events in the nest might be quite normal för buzzards.
Maybe this is the first time around for the couple. A bit unusual with one egg only.
It is also the first time for us visitors to follow buzzard nesting in such detail.

Thank you Ame for your marvelous work giving us all this information.
thank you Börje! :blush:

Urmas wrote in the beginning of the season that he was surprised to see the buzzards laid even one egg because this is a poor mouse&vole year. in those circumstances many birds of prey which are dependant on the numbers of small rodents skip breeding alltogether. Urmas though that this would be a year like that.

last year this nest was visited by an inspecting couple of buzzards on two days in a row, but they stopped coming. i think nobody can have any idea if they or either of them was same birds as these. i guess then the "smell" of eagles was too strong here then, even though the eagles has stopped coming to this nest many weeks earlier.
(if i rememnber correctly; it's all in last years proceedings... i found it, on Apr 11th: viewtopic.php?p=96330#p96330
i had a look at some of the pictures there. the other was very dark, almost black, and the other was lighter grey and it seemed to have a circular pattern on the back of hte head. no rings on either.)

then the buzzards went somewhere else. i guess they were resident birds and knew well enough who had been the previous owners of this nest. Linda and Sulev were courting here last spring but then they decided to go away. this year the eagles haven't been here. i found only one Pontu picture from this early spring where an eagle sat on the back branch. the ankles nor the tail couldn't be seen properly in the picture. this is from March 22nd 14.55:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-03-22 ... -14-55.jpg
ame

Post by ame »

Halli got up and called a little at 19.48. he scrathced himself and preened a little... and then turned and settled down on the egg. then about a minute later he got up and turned the egg again.
ame

Post by ame »

Halli got up twice and returned to the nest bottom, first at 21.48 and then 21.50, and kaa'ed a little on the rim of the nest. then at 20.53 he got up looking determined and took off.

... but returned at 20.56. i think he had to go to the loo. :whistling:

what is keeping Pruuni away so late again? -Halli seems to sleep again. :sleep:
ame

Post by ame »

finally at 21.56 Pruuni came back home. she talked a little to Halli who muttered a few words and then took off. Pruuni lay down on the egg.

something has twisted Pruuni's daily schedule so that she comes home very late in the evenings..? :puzzled:
well, she came home rather late earlier, too.

good night! i wish there'll not be any surprises here tonight. -today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9287D6C4C78443F
:offtobed:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

@ Ame you have done a wonderful, dedicated job by following these two birds so close for so long.
A lot of drama too, and worries, especially during the last days. Do hope and cross my fingers for Pruuni and Halli - and you too! - will be rewarded properly soon.

Concerning changes in their habits, e.g. Pruuni staying out late, made me think of that daylength has changed very much too - may that give an explanation of their changes?

Thanks for all updating, pics and videos :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

(Hubby finally got off the computer so I can log on.)

:loveshower: Oh, I am so relieved that Pruuni is OK! I was so worried that something terrible had happened to her-- & I could not tell from my picture of the bird that returned to the nest at last if it was Halli or her. I feared she may have eaten a prey that was poisoned (do farmers poison rodents & other pests there?) or been hit by a car or something. Now we wait with faint hope that somehow the egg survived. :unsure:
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:bow: Thanks ame for all the days news.Now we are on 'Wait-and-see' mode. :D

:hi:Kitty,hope you are getting better ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

macdoum wrote::bow: Thanks ame for all the days news.Now we are on 'Wait-and-see' mode. :D

:hi:Kitty,hope you are getting better ?
Yes, all better now, Macdoum. I had a chest x-ray last week, & the nurse reported to me yesterday that it is all clear.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

b.h-p wrote::wave:

@ Ame you have done a wonderful, dedicated job by following these two birds so close for so long.
A lot of drama too, and worries, especially during the last days. Do hope and cross my fingers for Pruuni and Halli - and you too! - will be rewarded properly soon.

Concerning changes in their habits, e.g. Pruuni staying out late, made me think of that daylength has changed very much too - may that give an explanation of their changes?

Thanks for all updating, pics and videos :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
I second all of this and I was wondering if the longer days might make them change their whole day pattern.

Our joy is that we be come attached to amazing creatures (and learn a lot), and our sorrow is we become attached.
ame

Post by ame »

June 3rd
good morning! :hi:
it rained earlier in the morning and it was windy the, too. now it's still cloudy the rain has stopped and there's just a little wind. it's almost calm compared to what it was like yesterday.

Halli brought a little mammal to Pruuni at 6.15.
Imagehow to make an animated gif

Pruuni took it into the forest.
Imagehow to make animated gif

... and Halli settled on the egg.
Imagehow to make animated gifs

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”