Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

the little bird was exploring the nest again for a long time. this clip is only a part of the visit. this time the light is so smooth that it could be identified. it seems to have a browinsh-grey back. the tail has a notch and it has a white line above the eye (these details i've managed to see earlier). so it is a KBundGV. :mrgreen:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Still think the problem was in the egg and not in the parents. Pruuni started to fly away for a long time only when the egg should get hatched and not earlier. Maybe the birds have their own "counters". Remember how Klaus brought more mice by exact day of hatching, how could he know it?

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13577

It is said in this article that the egg may be not fertilized because one of the birds was too young and that buzzard used to lay not one but two, three or sometimes even four eggs.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

you are right, Asteria. now that i watched the videos of the LSE chick beeping inside the egg so loud i think there should have been some strong noise here, too, if the egg had been ok.
the voices of the chick from inside the egg may be the concrete signal to the parents that the baby is coming soon. that would tell daddy to hunt more, and no other counter would be needed.

the fact that there was only one egg may be an indication that the female was not quite mature yet. hopefully next year. :rolleyes:
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,
I´m not familiar with the name you gave the little bird.
Can you name it in latin, english or perhaps swedish.

I will look forward to future reports from you from another nest.
Why not the polish WTE´s, although there is no sound.
I thought from the beginning that the couple were beginners with the one and only egg.

Börje
alice44

Post by alice44 »

borje wrote:Ame,
I´m not familiar with the name you gave the little bird.
Can you name it in latin, english or perhaps swedish.

I will look forward to future reports from you from another nest.
Why not the polish WTE´s, although there is no sound.
I thought from the beginning that the couple were beginners with the one and only egg.

Börje
I think but I could be totally wrong that Ame is making a play on initials used to refer to an unidentified bird -- in german initials K?? (of course I have forgoten exactly what they are in german) and a similarly in english LBJ (little brown job) and her own term Little Grey Bird.
ame

Post by ame »

i'm sorry Borje, i was joking, just as Alice guessed. it started at the seal island where these unidentifiable little grey birds were seen. we called them Kleine Braune Vögel (Little Brown Birds), which then was shortened to KBV. i think Fleur introduced the name.. :puzzled:

these birds of this one bird has looked more grey so i called it Kleiner Grauer Vogel, KGV. this morning in the soft light it can be seen that its back is actually brownish-grey, so i renamed it Kleiner Brauner und Grauer Vogel.

now i think i saw the male bird invertigating the nest. it looked like a blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). could the previous bird have been Mrs Blackcap?

vainamoinen... :help:

this a blackcap in autumn colours (i don't know is this a male or female; looks like female with the brown cap)
copyright Henri Selin.
this if any is a KGV! :laugh:
borje

Post by borje »

OK Ame,

It is a female "svarthätta" with the light brown cap. Young males do also have a brownish cap, but darker.

Please don´t do that again to me, I´m so sensitive. Why not KGB -kleine graue braune.

Börje
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:hi:
Ame I´m so sorry that it ended up like this for the Buzzards - and for you too. All these efforts in vain.
I myself had looked forward to see a Buzzard chick grow up.

There doesn´t seem to be much luck at Linda and Sulevs old nest after they abandonned it :cry:

Thanks so much Ame for your daily updates in comments and pictures/videoes - mostly it has been a joy to follow what happened, until the sorry ending.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
ame

Post by ame »

borje wrote:OK Ame,

It is a female "svarthätta" with the light brown cap. Young males do also have a brownish cap, but darker.

Please don´t do that again to me, I´m so sensitive. Why not KGB -kleine graue braune.

Börje
sorry... :blush: :unsure:
i promise i'll be more careful next time. :rolleyes: :whistling:

thank you b.h-p! :wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Mutikluti wrote:Good afternoon! :wave:

:peek: I think that here, in this topic is the best place to put this information...it's the old nest of Linda and Sulev.

I got from Renno a letter and one picture. Urmas did this picture with Renno's camera. :D
There are two eaglets in the new nest of Linda and Sulev...sister and brother.

:wave:
thanks a lot also to Urmas, Renno and Mutikluti for this wonderfull news and for the glimse of Linda and Sulevs eaglets :2thumbsup:
So nice to see that even Linda and Sulev didn´t stay with us they are successfull and still raise youngs that looks nice.
It seems they have choosen a more open tree - and perhaps of another species too?I´m looking forward to learn more about the new location.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:hi: ame,the new nest of Linda & Sulev is not even far away,if I remember what Urmas said. But without the camera equipment...the WTE's didn't let Urmas team know in advance,which was very inconsiderate of them. :mrgreen:
Then maybe they wanted privacy :puzzled: .... :innocent:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
borje

Post by borje »

BTW Ame,
Forgot to thank you for the nice photo of our Mystery little bird.
I´m waiting for your next nesting project.
Börje
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

what a sad event after so much effort :blush:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Ame :hi: It is so sad that this happened.. :slap: ..no chick to be seen this summer, but Halli and Pruuni are going on their life. And they are still so wonderful birds. You made a huge, a priceless work. It was exiting but great to follow the story of these lovely birds during these weeks. Thank you very much, ame! Don't be too sad, please.

Halli and Pruuni are all right! :nod:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
ame

Post by ame »

June 10th
good morning!
the LittleBrownJob alias KleinerGrauerVogel alias The Little Unidentified/-able Bird visited the nest again. it must be here all the time or then i happen to have increadible luck in spotting it on every occasion it happens to come. :D

borje: the picture of the blackcap up there was not mine, i just found it. it's on the webpage of Tringa, the ornitological society of Helsinki region. know i found that Henri Selin owns the copyright so thanks are due to him. :wave:
the next project will be to finish the old one and then winter eagles are next in line. :whistling:

Fleur & Olga
: it was sad what happened here but it was a surprise that anything happened at all. Urmas wrote that it is a bad vole year and he didn't expect any nesting attempt at all. - also i beleve that Pruuni and Halli are safe and sound. :nod:
and maybe even together: books say that buzzards may pair for life. :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

based on P-pictures i found that a jay had come to take a look at the nest at 6.14.
it rustled in the upper branches first and then flew to the back branch.

then it called a few buzzard imitations and left. - they clearly don't care about the egg. it was the adult buzzards whom they disliked strongly.
asteria

Post by asteria »

That is the difference between jay and crows who really steal eggs from the nests.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

it's a super beautiful evening.
good night! :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A small grey & brown bird explores the abandonded nest & egg.

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
this is not our regular guest, Kitty. you managed to capture a hawfinch! :thumbs:
scientific name is Coccothraustes coccothraustes.
in the Pontu picture at 4.07 there's a good portrait of it.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-11 ... -04-07.jpg

here's picture by Sami Timonen. there it can be seen that it is much bigger than the blackcap (compared to the hand which is holding the bird. this hand belongs to a young woman). also compared to the size of the egg this bird is much bigger.

my bird guide says the the feathers in male's wings are black while in female's wing they are white. so the bird in the girl's hand should be a male and the one which was in the nest was a female i think. the one in the nest has a more uniformly coloured head, too, and that would indicate a female, too.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”