Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

macdoum

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by macdoum »

I still have the cam up...no change,its raining and Halli is still there. :cry:

ame,I don't know what to say to you to make this any better...just remember we are all here with hugs for you,nothing we can say will make this day any better.
Tomorrow,or the next day we can all figure out the 'whys' and the 'ifs'....maybe Urmas will know something over the weekend.
I hope you get some sleep and surely a glass-of-whats-good-for-you won't come astray. I raise my glass to you ame,slainté.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
borje

Post by borje »

I am surpriced to see this happen. I thought buzzards were pretty stable in their nesting.

Could it be that this nesting started too late as compared to what is normal ?
Börje
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I was so frustrated! In the middle of everything, I got knocked off the looduskalender site for several hours & for some reason could not get connected back up. Every time I tried, I got a message: cannot connect, server may be down, try cached copy of page. So I would try the cached copy & it would just go around in a loop back to the original can't connect message. But now I got in & I see nothing changed at the nest while I was gone.

Ame, I feel so sorry about the turn of events. I became very fond of these handsome buzzards. They are really quite sweet birds & have a lot of "personality." We just have to wait & see what is next.
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Kitty KCMO wrote:I was so frustrated! In the middle of everything, I got knocked off the looduskalender site for several hours & for some reason could not get connected back up. Every time I tried, I got a message: cannot connect, server may be down, try cached copy of page. So I would try the cached copy & it would just go around in a loop back to the original can't connect message. But now I got in & I see nothing changed at the nest while I was gone.
:wave: Kitty I had the same trouble. After our meal I re-booted puter and all was well. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I'm glad it wasn't just me. There must have been something wrong at the server after all. I'm glad it is back now.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kitty KCMO wrote:I'm glad it wasn't just me. There must have been something wrong at the server after all. I'm glad it is back now.
me too
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Saturday 2 June

8:14

I just opened the cam and someone is on the nest -- thoroughly soaked, so it is very hard to tell if it is a lighter or darker bird.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
...or how should one put it in this case. :unsure:
it's raining there, it has rained at least from 4.32 and there is one very-very wet bird lying motionless in the nest.

i don't know if the difference can bee seen here but when i swop between these two i see that in left picture the eye is open and in the right one it's closed. these were taken at 4.41.
Image..Image

i have no idea which one it is, Halli or Pruuni. (my guess is Halli). it has turned its position twice during this time. i don't think it has been sleeping though...
alice44

Post by alice44 »

hello ame
:hi:

8:22
I had thought the rain was letting up, but I think it is getting worse again.
ame

Post by ame »

hello Alice! :wave:
we have the same rain area here over South Finland and it's pouring down equally. here it should end in the afternoon. for the crops the rain is good because it's been so dry that the forest fire warnings have been on for weeks. for the incubating birds it's not so nice. :unsure:

i had the same problem with LK-server as everyone. besides when it became on again i was dumb enough not to notice that the page had turned... thank you all for your wishes. :wave:
(now i can sleep as i like. that is of course if cats let me. 8-) )
ame

Post by ame »

borje wrote:I am surpriced to see this happen. I thought buzzards were pretty stable in their nesting.

Could it be that this nesting started too late as compared to what is normal ?
Börje
i think that everything went according to the textbooks so far. (i'm no expert though, i only read about buzzards from books).
i think that Halli was doing incubation work more than male buzzards on the average. some males let the female do it all. i suppose those males must bring food in those families all the time from day one after egg-laying.

i saw nothing strange yesterday, but my VLC had crashed for a while and i have no coverage of the period 14.40 - 15.11, so i don't know why and how Halli left. his other departures on previous days needed no apparent reason.

i'm afraid something has happened to Pruuni as she did not come back yesterday, especially when the weather turned foul. she used to return relatively fast after getting food from Halli and going out to eat. she left seemingly quite normally at 13.40 yesterday.

btw: one detail came to my mind: it was as if prey turned into food in the handover from Halli to Pruuni. he always carried his prey in his claws to the nest, but Pruuni always took it in her beak and took off out to the forest to eat it somewhere there. she used call (cheerfully) while eating i think. after few minutes she used to stop and i guess she flew further.
ame

Post by ame »

the bird woke up (or started moving) at 8.46 and began to arrange the green twig in front of it. then it got up, shook water off its feathers, turned the egg and lay down.

the twig wasn't still ok to its liking so it began to twist it again. then it got up, shook itself a bit more, turned the egg and lay down.

ame

Post by ame »

10.06: misery.

egg-roll at 10.07.

it has seized raining, by 9.30.
at 10.31 the bird looked at the forest on either side.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And the wind is fierce!
ame

Post by ame »

i checked the Pontu pictures taken this morning. the bird has been out of nest 6.53 - 7.20. i guess it flew off to find food.

here's the departure at 6.53:

and arrival at 7.20. the nest was empty for 27 minutes.

Edit: based on the Pontu pictures taken yesterday evening and this morning it seems that it has been the same bird here all the time: Halli the male.
(despite of what it may read on the front page news.)
ame

Post by ame »

oh happy day! both parents are fine! :loveshower:
Halli brought a HUGE vole to Pruuni! :2thumbsup:

Imagemake gif

Imagemake animated gifs

so it was Pruuni in the nest after all, at least in the morning, and i was wrong. :nod:
(well it was more like a guess; now i'll have to have a new look on yesterday evening's bird.)
she took the vole (or maybe it was a mole) to the forest and Halli is staying in the nest. he looks dry.
ame

Post by ame »

blaah! it seems that they made the change yesterday evening during the few minutes that my VLC was jamming and i had to restart it! :slap: Murphy's law! :faint:
at 20.49 Halli was still in...

... but at 20.50 Pruuni was in the nest. had i seen this i would have slept much more happily. -well, both parents are fine.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:bow: I was so worried! Thank you, ame! :gathering:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
asteria

Post by asteria »

How many days passed since incubating has started?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

i was so worried, too! :laugh:
but the reason why Pruuni stayed away so long in the afternoon still remains a mystery, and probably will stay that way. :unsure:

i was lucky: i found the last evening's change in the end of the jammed video, which i had already dumped in the recycle bin. :headroll:
Pruuni came in at 20.49 and Halli left. they spoke nothing and both were wet.

i listened to some of Thursday's video's again. i think there was a cricking-cracking-knocking sound in the afternoon, but by evening that stopped. it would have been easier to hear it in the evening than in the afternoon, because in the evening there was no wind at all. i think something may have gone wrong already then, and not yesterday.

Thursday was the dueday, a 33 day-term was full in the morning. i didn't expect hatching before that. Friday=yesterday was full 34, and this morning full 35. different books have different values for hatching. the shortest was 33 while the longest was even 40. i think that the shortest is more accurate, because it's difficult to see a newborn with a binoculars/telescope from a distance.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”