Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

now it seems that these buzzards are equally irregular in their habits as the WTEs were: unlike yesterday no-one showed up after the visit at 19.10. :slap:

instead i heard someone stomp under the nest at 21.24. splish-splahs-splish-splash... the rhythm sounded like a single wild boar or a deer... unfortunately i did not see anyone...

now the picture has gone black&white and the thrushes and others are singing loud....
today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL88A1903B98E3321F

good night! :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

April 27th
good morning! :hi:

no-one has been in the nest so far within the hour. at about 7 am it was raining gently but now it has stopped. it's almost calm and birds are singing. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni has been lazy this morning! :slap:
she has come to do homeworks only 4 times. the first arrival was at 8.35 when she brought a bunch of moss i think.

she left at 8.39 after looking around for a while.
ame

Post by ame »

the second time she came at 8.42. this time she came in and worked in the nest so quietly that i began to suspect that i had missed some visits while i had been out of the room... but i don't think so (i checked)
she brought a small dry twig when she came. this time she stayed rather long and did a lot of arrangements.

she left at 8.48.
ame

Post by ame »

the third trip began at 8.51. if she brought something with her it was so small that i couldn't see what it was. it was no significant contribution to the furniture any way. :mrgreen:
she worked a lot this time. at one point she was bent so that her beak and tail pointed to almost the same way. :D

she was also gnawing the tip of the bad stick (is there a part gone?). before she left at 9.01 she had a long look at the forest from both sides of the nest.

ame

Post by ame »

the fourth time she came at 9.10 and brought a green pine twig and arranged it a bit. then she climbed on to the back branch (as she usually does) and left at 9.12. since that she's stayed away.

ame

Post by ame »

10.53: EAGLE'S voice! :shock:

10.55 again! :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

and twice more!
at 10.58:

and at 10.59:

or am i hearing things...
its coming closer!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ame I am not sure our buzzards need that sort of trouble.
ame

Post by ame »

oh dear i heard it again at 11.19! :shock:

alice: it gives me the creeps! :cry:

EDIT: (is it correct to say so? my on-line dictionary does not know the word creep or creeps in the sense 'getting shivers because of getting horrified'... :puzzled: )
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Do you have head phones on?

I think I still had the cam open then and I did not notice the eagles, but I also have Kasmu open and that might have enough sounds to confuse me.

any how I am :offtobed:
I will hope for happy buzzards with an egg when I wake up
ame

Post by ame »

i think the last one was maybe a "phantom voice" because i can't find it on my recordings. i made a mess while i was uploading, VLC crashed. i'm not sure did i hear it or not anymore...

this is Linda's and Sulev's forest but i certainly wish they (and other eagles!) would stay away from here this summer. :unsure:

good night Alice! :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

alice44 wrote:Do you have head phones on?

I think I still had the cam open then and I did not notice the eagles, but I also have Kasmu open and that might have enough sounds to confuse me.
no i did not have head phones on and the volume was not at maximum either.
- i'm watching this camera only nowadays. i can't divide my attention to others. this is too busy sometimes!
(at the osprey camera there seems be love carousell in a turmoil! :mrgreen: )
ame

Post by ame »

i have had the camera off for some time in two spells and in between i had a poor connection but exactly during that time i managed to record a clip, where Mr an Mrs Buteo made babies! :loveshower:
they engaged in this activity at 13.03 just on the border of the right side of the picture on the big branch like once before (when was it?? :puzzled: )
so they can't be properly seen but there was a lot of wing flapping and screaming and feathers blowing in the air. on the first time Fleur understood what this means and then she educated me :mrgreen: . since then i have lost my innosence and now realized right away what they were up to. :whistling:

sorry about the quality of the picture. right after this the picture went quite colourful... :mrgreen:

EDIT: i found the "first time". it was on April 18th at 7.38. it's here:
viewtopic.php?p=135803#p135803
ame

Post by ame »

Mr and Mrs Buteo, those sly creatures, glided to the nest tree at 17.34. they came so quietly that i missed their arrival even though i was sitting next to them. :D
i noticed them when Mrs B (i think!?) began to talk in the nest at 17.35.

i think Mr Buteo was on the right branch even though it looked rather dark. the bird in the nest was bigger (even though it didn't look so dark in the sunshine). Mr B walked out of the picture along the brach quite soon but i think that it took off later, maybe at 17.38. after that Mrs B in the nest was looking around up in the air, so i guess that Mrs B was flying there...

i made a slide show of their landings. i took pictures frame by frame from the video.
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... =slideshow
ame

Post by ame »

then Mrs B got up to the back branch and sat there for a long time. she preened a little and called a little...

at 18.05 she took off. after that there have been voices calling in the forest but now they are gone...
ame

Post by ame »

a quick visit by a grey-looking buzzard at 18.12. it brought a dry stick.

it made bed a little but then left, after staying less than a minute.

after that it called in the forest...
ame

Post by ame »

today i have thought several times that there's something wrong with my eys: i've seen dark/black spots flashing across the camera picture in the corner of my eye. now i finally understood what they have been: flies! :laugh:
i heard one and then i saw it on the video, too! at about 9 sec from the beginning of the clip it flashes in front of the left branch. it's only a smudge there, but there it goes. a little later the buzz can be heard (at least with headset i think).

it's summer: there are flies! :headroll: :D
ame

Post by ame »

it seems to be a good weather for the geese migration. i heard one flock of geese passing at 18.45. then i wasn't listening for some time... then at 19.31 one flock passed almost over the nest tree. at 19.41 another flock flew by at a greater distance. these sounded like different species.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I saw an elk passing on the left side, but since I have the cam on in my browser - VLC keeps on crashing - it was gone by the time I had it on in VLC. :rant:
Nest is empty! Will they?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”