Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

macdoum

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by macdoum »

19:45 Buzzard back on the nest. I can't decide whether its Halli or Pruuni.
...my mind is a bit scrambled today. :rolleyes:
Egg was alone for 23 mins.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

it's Halli there. it does really seem that Pruuni is loosing interest on the egg and nest and Halli is doing his best to try and cover up for her. he got out and returned several times and brough more nest materials. then he stayed away for a longer time and i thought that he's be gone altogether, but no: he returned yet again. now he is napping at times and at times he's looking out at the forest, assumingly waiting for Pruuni to return.

as a crude estimate i'd say that the roles of the two parents have swopped: Halli has stayed in the nest about as long and many turns as Pruuni used to, and Pruuni is the one who comes home less often and stays for shorter periods. she's become unreliable and Halli is doing his best.
borje

Post by borje »

Often we tend to plant or expect human way of thinking regarding our loved animals.

There are totally other matters that control their behaviour.

We have a grand opportunity to watch here , and to draw our own conclusions.
I would have liked comments from Konrad Lorenz on the happenings in and around the nest..
ame

Post by ame »

Halli's trips out and in of the nest later this evening:
left at 19.02

and returned at 19.03 bringing a green spruce twig.
ame

Post by ame »

...continued:
left at 19.06

and returned at 19.09 bringing a green spruce twig.
ame

Post by ame »

.... continued:
left 19.21. this time i think he did not go far.

i think he stayed in the nest tree because i think i heard him talking and rustling... he returned to the nest at 19.26 bringing a big green aspen twig. he arranged nest materials and kaa'ed silently to himself.
ame

Post by ame »

.... continued:
left 19.28. this time he stayed away long....

he returned to the nest at 19.44 bringing a dry stick. this time he was away for 16 minutes (i think :puzzled: ). he lay down for a while and then stood up on the back rim. he looked out for a while and then returned down. then he slept and woke up occasionally and slept again.....

at about 20.10 tits came to make a racket next to the nest and woke him up. he purred a few times, got up and took off at 20.22. he has been away since that... :unsure:

edit: 21.34 the egg is still alone....
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:.... continued:
left 19.28. this time he stayed away long....

he returned to the nest at 19.44 bringing a dry stick. this time he was away for 16 minutes (i think :puzzled: ). he lay down for a while and then stood up on the back rim. he looked out for a while and then returned down. then he slept and woke up occasionally and slept again.....

at about 20.10 tits came to make a racket next to the nest and woke him up. he purred a few times, got up and took off at 20.22. he has been away since that... :unsure:

Strange behaviour. Or just buzzard standard? :puzzled: Thanks again for all the information, ame. I can imagine this is the best documented free-living buzzard pair ever... :headroll:
asteria

Post by asteria »

This is hardly buzzard standard behavior. Looks like Pruuni knew that the egg was bad(damaged or too much time had passed) and decided not to incubate it anymore. Like Metra last year or Grieta in 2009.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

i agree,Asteria. i have a huntch that Pruuni knew or realized sooner that the egg is not going to hatch after all. she was sitting when the cricking sound came from the egg and she was sitting when the sound stopped... that was on Thursday. maybe i should post the clips where i think the sound can be heard...
this is recorded at 14.01 on May 31st.

this is recorded at 14.14.

and this at 17.42. i think there were some promising sounds there but later in the evening i heard nothing even though it was perfectly calm and no noise

i also suspect that the sounds coming from the egg several days earlier triggered Halli's decoration activity and that is still going on... i feel so sorry for him. :unsure:
i actually wish that someone should collect the egg and release Halli from his duty. otherwise who knows how long he'll try in vain...
ame

Post by ame »

at 21.42 Pruuni (i think) returned and lay down on the egg.
... yes, it's her.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni tucked her head under the wing at 22.04.
i think i'll call this the night and :offtobed: even though they may swop still... today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE6C1391E1207FD47

good night! :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Such beautiful evening light in your video of Pruuni returning to the nest, Ame. :2thumbsup:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

June 5th
good morning! :hi:
it's a lovely morning: sunshine and practically no wind at all.
at 6.22 Pruuni was sleeping in the nest. at 6.51 she was awake and araanged twigs around her a litlle.

but then she put her head under the wing again. :sleeping: :sleeping:
ame

Post by ame »

at 7.22 Halli brought a big vole to Pruuni. -- on second look i think it was a mouse after all: it had such a long tail.

Pruuni took it out in the forest and Halli stayed on the egg.

EDIT: from Pontu-pictures one can see that Pruuni was out of the nest at 4.26 - 4.32.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-05 ... -04-26.jpg
ame

Post by ame »

Halli has done some home improvement this morning.
at 7.40 he woke up, got up on to the rim of the nest, scratched and preened, kaa'ed a little (to himself i think) and took off at 7.43.

at 7.45 he returned bringing a rather big dry stick.
ame

Post by ame »

.... continued:
at 8.38 he got up kaa'ed a few times and took off.

then after a while i heard him kaa'ing somewhere in the forest (not very far)... then kaa'ed again, this time closer.... then purr - purr - purr he flew into the nest. it seemed that he brought some hay this time.

at 9.07 he stood up and climbed to the back of the nest, kaa'ed silently (to himself), got up on to the back branch. there he sat for a while preening rather long.... and returned to the egg at 9.11.
ame

Post by ame »

at 9.39 Halli got up, kaa'ed, scratched and preened on the front rim... and took off at 9.41.

then i heard him kaa'ing in the forest... and after a while i heard Pruuni's voice calling there, first meows and then the same kind of chirps she makes when she has food ... then at 9.44 Pruuni flew to the nest. she called a lot and loudly for a couple of minutes and then began to arrange the twigs beside.

i got the impression that Pruuni was not far and Halli went to look for her and sent her back. the time he was out was so short that i think it was improbable that he caught some prey and gave it to Pruuni, even though she sounded like she got some. besides the time was definately too short for her to eat it as well.
ame

Post by ame »

at 12.13 Halli brought a vole or a mouse to Pruuni who took is with her out to the forest.
Imagemake gifs

Halli stayed on the egg....

.... till 12.40 when i think he saw something interesting: he began to kaa a lot. then someone answered from the forest with the voice that Pruuni has had recently: a kind of broken khraa-call. Halli got up on the back branch and took off and flew to the forest, meowing on his way...

they haven't meowed for a long time... for weeks the meowers have been jays who have imitated buzzards.
ame

Post by ame »

at 12.56 someone landed on the back branch and then jumped to the branch on the right and moved out of the picture.

i could hear how he purred there few times (by the voice i guessed it would be Halli). at 12.59 he jumped into the nest and settled on the egg.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”