Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Post by ame »

10:37 more calls. maybe i should have recorded the whole lot in one long clip. :mrgreen:

10:40 the eagles talk a lot this morning. i heard Anna calling long.
10:41 she goes on calling...

10:42 then an eaglet again.

10:47 an eaglet. it is still hungry. Anna, why don't you feed her? :mrgreen:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame, thank you for your reports and observations at this quiet time. You are a trooper :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

this is the 'nothing-to-see' time of the season. listening is practically the only way to make any observations now. i listen while i do other things...
i believe that Liz was right when she wrote that the the eagles will not be seen in front of the camera anymore. hearing them is the only way to know that they are still there. :D
11:14

11:20

11:21 a little less frequent calls now...
Tian

Post by Tian »

Yes, ame, your posts are really appreciated!
ame wrote:admiring the view before the invasion. :whistling:
That description cracked me up!

It also reminded me of another heroic bird watching his land:

ame

Post by ame »

hi Tian, well done with the picture. :thumbs:

... but it is a bit too big. it's 1024 pixels wide while the maximum is 800. can you make it smaller please?
aha! now you fixed it before i finished writing the note.
thank you! :2thumbsup:

the eaglet is still calling there. mummyyyy... fish-fish-fish!!
Tian

Post by Tian »

ame wrote:hi Tian, well done with the picture. :thumbs:

... but it is a bit too big. it's 1024 pixels wide while the maximum is 800. can you make it smaller please?
aha! now you fixed it before i finished writing the note.
thank you! :2thumbsup:
I live and and learn :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

again there were some tits investigating the camera. there were voices of both a great tit and a crested tit. i think that this time a crested tit was knocking on the camera. it also showed itself for a few seconds.

ame

Post by ame »

12:25 Anna called far.
Lines

Post by Lines »

Jo UK wrote:ame, thank you for your reports and observations at this quiet time. You are a trooper :bow:
This is true!!! :hi: Ame, you have actually earned a trophy for your posts / clips / images :thumbs: . I'd like to thank you that you always write as clever and continuously for us. Thanks alot. Also to the other members.
I sometimes forget to say THANKS :blush:

(Sorry for my bad englisch)
ame

Post by ame »

14:02 i think Anna called. then there were feeding voices.

Lines... :blush:
- there's nothing wrong with your English, don't worry.
Tian

Post by Tian »

Now that things have quieted down a bit, i would like to take the opportunity to say what a enriching experience it was to watch and listen to the the eagles and their surroundings this past few months. I can't completely put it into words, but it was unexpectedly moving and wonderfully peaceful. The outlook over the bay is beautiful. I've learned a lot.

After reading in the forums concerning the other cams, I fully realised how lucky I was that this nest was my first "nesting". All five eagles survived. No predators taking away eggs or hatchlings, no extreme wind blowing them away, nobody mysteriously vanished over night, no camera breaking down, no lightning strikes (!) ...

Really, anything could have happened. It's funny how important perspective is in that matter.

I empathized with the people who got attached to "our" birds and their well being. I admit that I worried about them, too, in April, when, in just a few hours, everything including Anna was covered in snow (viewtopic.php?p=458670#p458670). Or that evening then Anna and Uku didn't return to the nest and instead watched from another tree and seemed very alert - an then the camera turned off in the evening and nobody knew what was going on and what we should expect the next morning (Can't find/remember the date).

On the other hand I also thought about "the other side". Just imagine that we would be watching ducks nesting and then ... viewtopic.php?p=458128#p458128

What a carnage. So, while I avoided to get too emotionally attached, I of course couldn't help but to like them quit a bit and care for them. Little by little a collection of screenshots grew and a few of the older, endearing ones I would like to share.

Our birds resting, caring, protecting and sometimes just plain posing for the camera. A good way to remember my first nesting season on looduskalender. Thank you people of looduskalender, ame, Mutikluti, Jo UK and all the others who, with their commitment, made this great and lasting memory possible and enjoyable!

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Tian, thank you for this beautiful post and pictures.
I was thinking the same, how exceptional this nest has been!
In nature a lot can go wrong, and acutually a lot does go wrong, all the time, but, this marvelous young couple of eagles managed to raise 3! beautiful and healthy eaglets, despite some difficult situations. There has been snow, strong wind, the ringing event, the nest that collapsed, eaglets that fell out the tree ... But they made it, all of them! And that is rather exceptional. We all should realize this! (We have seen this season a lot of dramatic events in other nests...) Anna and Uku are both great parents, clever and hardworking! But this nest also had good luck...
Just like you, I learned a lot this year, not only about eagles and other birds, but also about how nature functions. I realized that although wildlife is beautiful, it's sometimes also very tough and difficult.
I also would like to thank the people from looduskalender and kotkaklubi, Ame, Mutikluti, Liz, Jo UK, and all the others members that made from this cam and forum a nice and very interesting place to be!
THANK YOU ALL!
:wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Tian wrote:...On the other hand I also thought about "the other side". Just imagine that we would be watching ducks nesting and then ... viewtopic.php?p=458128#p458128
That's what I often think, too. :rolleyes:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Or imagine hundreds of sea eagles watching a webcam in your bedroom and writing in a forum about what they see and think of it.
ame

Post by ame »

Hagnat! :rotf: :rotf:

one eaglet was calling and calling at intervals of about a minute. it stayed in one place and called...
i didn't hear if it finally get anything but it has stopped calling now. it had started at a quarter past 3 and went on for at least and hour.
here's a long clip of when i heard it had started to call.

... and here's the last that i heard.

Tian, thank you for the sweet pictures. :innocent:
aita

Post by aita »

Hagnat wrote:Or imagine hundreds of sea eagles watching a webcam in your bedroom and writing in a forum about what they see and think of it.
:rotf:
not only write ... sometimes have meetings as well...
[youtube]jzb820o9IgM#t=136[/youtube]
Tian

Post by Tian »

Hagnat wrote:Or imagine hundreds of sea eagles watching a webcam in your bedroom and writing in a forum about what they see and think of it.
aita wrote: :rotf:
not only write ... sometimes have meetings as well...
They are silently judging me. I can feel it. :rotf:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

aita wrote: :rotf: not only write ... sometimes have meetings as well...[/youtube]
That is a scientific conference about human behaviour. One of the standard talks is about the danger of interpretation based on eaglish emotions.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hagnat!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Biker

Post by Biker »

:puzzled: hm and they would make pictures and clips... and then upload and share...
*Please don't feed the trolls!*

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”