Names for WTEagles

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

misimiez

Re: Names for WTEaglets

Post by misimiez »

After the sponsor and Mutikluti it ist Ame, who most certainly deserves to be godmother and may choose the name for this eaglet :hi: :bow:
And apart from the fact, that Ame voted for this name, it's a very beautiful and appropriate name :2thumbsup:

So my voting ist also:
RAHU
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

RAHU :loveshower: :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

voting time is over. thank you for your participation! :2thumbsup:

Rahu got 18 votes out of total 33 votes, i.e. 55 % of the total number. therefore it was a clear winner.
aita wrote a funny verse about the double meaning of the Estonian word rahu which means both 'peace' and 'reef' (small island, islet). :D
aita wrote:... Rahu on rahulikult rahul ja on rahul eluga.
Rahu is calmly on the reef and is happy with life.
our eaglets will be called Nord, Rahu and Taibu.
ame

Post by ame »

the female with very dark eyes at the Estonian WTE nest 2018 needs a name.
it is very probable that her mate is our old friend Sulev. :laugh:

here's the list of proposals so far:
Pruuni from Estonian word pruun meaning brown.
Suvi which means summer in Estonian.
Atropiin
Cleopatra
Estonia

Susanna, Susanne, Suzanna, Susu, Suzi, i.e. many variations of practically one name. how about if we choose Susanna of these?
Piia
Mari
Helga
Esta
Esti
Eva
Siiri
Iiris
the coloured part around the pupil in the eye is called iris. Iris is the ancient Greek goddess who personified the rainbow.
Lumi means snow in Estonian (and in Finnish)
Bella
Leila
Merit
Triin
Tiiu
Egle
Blackeye(s)

also Pru was suggested as short of Pruuni. does anyone want that in the list?
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

ame wrote:... also Pru was suggested as short of Pruuni. does anyone want that in the list?
When it is suggested it belongs to the list, whether you like it or not.
ame

Post by ame »

... even though an Estonian member told that Pru is not an Estonian name?
viewtopic.php?p=568918#p568918

see also:
viewtopic.php?p=568878#p568878

if i remember correct the idea was to give the eagle an Estonian name.
i'll add here a useful post by our Estonian member Triin
Triin wrote:We have a database of names used in Estonia https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/. There you can see if the name has been used in Estonia (female or male), how many times, age of people with this name and more. This database shows what names Estonians have at the time, not the origin of the name (English, Russian or something else)
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Several suggested names are nice. Instead of making my own suggestion I support Iiris, which was first suggested by Rika.

Arguments in favour of Iiris:
- it is used in that form (beginning with two i’s) at least in Estonia and Finland,
- written Iris, it is a common name in many other countries and languages, at least in German, English, Swedish and French,
- someone said that it is difficult to say of Estonian names, if they belong to a woman or man, so an international name would be easy,
- as a widely used name, people in different countries certainly know that it also means the colour circle of the eye and last but not least
- this female has so unusual eyes that we can easily connect the name Iiris and the way how her eyes look.

Besides, I agree with Hellem, who did not like the country name Estonia to be given to an eagle. There are more than one reasons to that, but the simpliest is that also human beings very seldom have their native country’s name as the first name. There are persons carrying their country’s name as their family name, but I have never heard of anyone having a country name as first name. Just imagine a North American couple admiring, how firm a grip that one month old United States of America has. :unsure: Or a German couple admiring, how cute a smile that little Deutschland has. :unsure:

That said, I think it would be nice to celebrate Estonia’s 100th anniversary also in eagle names, but this female was not born this year. If the breeding in this nest is successful, perhaps we can talk about naming a possible female nestling ... for example Kersti, according to the president of Estonia. :rolleyes:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:
By the way, the female name Iris is more popular in Estonia than Iiris. The name of the 415 woman is Iris and only 118 have a name Iiris :laugh:
https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/

The name Egle is also missing from the list, it was recommended yesterday by BigDee
Michi

Post by Michi »

I suggest Tiiu as a name for the female.
It is a name from the database Triin has mentioned.
aita

Post by aita »

She was nicknamed a long time ago - Black eyes (BE).

Blackeyes is also a good name.
It describes this particular eagle well. She has exceptionally dark eyes.

Why do we have to give a human name to the eagle?
Michi

Post by Michi »

aita wrote: :hi:
She was nicknamed a long time ago - Black eyes (BE).

That is a good idea. Why searching for another name who describes her eyes, when we already have one???
Blackeye is beautiful. :D

Besides, I would never give an eagle a clearly human name like Diana, Eva, Susanna etc. I think, such names are unfitting for an animal, whatever the species is. Then rather names like Lumi or Pruuni.
Of course I look at names like Lumi with my german thoughts. Maybe the Estonians see it different.
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

As Liz01 and I postet in topic "WTE Nest Camera 2018" we are voting for Suvi since it would fit perfectly to Sulev

:wave:
ame

Post by ame »

Hellem wrote::hi:
By the way, the female name Iris is more popular in Estonia than Iiris. The name of the 415 woman is Iris and only 118 have a name Iiris :laugh:
https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/

The name Egle is also missing from the list, it was recommended yesterday by BigDee
Egle was one of the females who dated at the Latvian nest in 2016. her fiancé was called Ansis. i don't know if that stops us from using the name here as well. Egle means spruce in Latvian if i remember right.

the association that rises in my mind from the word Blackeye is a boxer or some other athlete who has been punched in the eye. not a pretty sight. :laugh:
in this picture a Finnish wrestler:
http://puheenvuoro.uusisuomi.fi/sites/d ... age_44.jpg
besides could Blackeye be anyone's name in Estonian?

i tried to remember to add all news names in the lists. is something missing?

aquiline :hi:
voting from Sunday!
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

ame wrote:... even though an Estonian member told that Pru is not an Estonian name?

if i remember correct the idea was to give the eagle an Estonian name.
No, it is not required to add this new invented word Pru to the list. It was clearly stated that the name should be Estonian and Pru was obviously dissparoved by Native Estonian as non-Estonian word. And for seconds... we have a plenty of beautiful names here... so why to force the name Pru through? It would be great to follow our own rules.
Michi

Post by Michi »

ame wrote: besides could Blackeye be anyone's name in Estonian?
:wave:
If we follow the rule, that the eagles name must be a human name in Estonia, then we can't take up names like Lumi (snow) or Pruuni (brown) in our list, right? I would regret this.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Lubaska wrote:... It was clearly stated that the name should be Estonian and Pru was obviously dissparoved by Native Estonian as non-Estonian word. ...
We can call the birds anything we want. Who will stop us from using a so called non-Estonian name?
This international forum is much bigger than the Estonian forum.
hyypiö

Post by hyypiö »

aita wrote: She was nicknamed a long time ago - Black eyes (BE).

What would that be in Estonian? Mustsilm? Or should that be with tume...something (must=black, tume=dark).
ame wrote: the association that rises in my mind from the word Blackeye is a boxer or some other athlete who has been punched in the eye. not a pretty sight.

besides could Blackeye be anyone's name in Estonian?
By googling (in fact duck-duck-going) 'mustsilm' I found that somebody has used it as internet alias at least. Don't know whether he/she has dark eyes or got punched. Don't even know whether mustsilm in estonian has meaning of dark bruises around an eye (like 'black eye' in English and 'musta silmä' in Finnish).
Triin

Post by Triin »

Michi wrote: If we follow the rule, that the eagles name must be a human name in Estonia, then we can't take up names like Lumi (snow) or Pruuni (brown) in our list, right? I would regret this.
Lumi "feels" as a female name in Estonian and has been used as such. Pruuni (or Pru) dosen't "feel" like a name in Estonian.
Triin

Post by Triin »

hyypiö wrote: By googling (in fact duck-duck-going) 'mustsilm' I found that somebody has used it as internet alias at least. Don't know whether he/she has dark eyes or got punched. Don't even know whether mustsilm in estonian has meaning of dark bruises around an eye (like 'black eye' in English and 'musta silmä' in Finnish).
In Estonian a bruise around the eye is called "sinine silm" meaning "blue eye"
Blackeye or Mustsilm could be a nickname for a pirate.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Jutta

(the sister of Linda :mrgreen: , in an estonian narrative)
*Please don't feed the trolls!*

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”