Black Stork Webcam Discussion 2009

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Ricky

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion 2009

Post by Ricky »

WOW the cam is working again!!!! :loveshower: But probably it´s too late in the year now to see a BS...

Liis

Post by Liis »

Seeing what Urmas just wrote about the whereabouts of "our" storks viewtopic.php?p=47761#p47761 it probably is ... and if there were a stork to see we should probably be worrying about getting him/her an air ticket southwards ... :innocent: Or could they still make it on their own wings?
But the nettle and the grass are growing just fine!
asteria

Post by asteria »

Yes, thanks to Padis. :)
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Haa, thank you so much Ricky, curiosity is definitely a virtue! :D
our nest looks like a jungle :shock: a very unexpected view :slap:
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Kuremari wrote:Haa, thank you so much Ricky, curiosity is definitely a virtue! :D
our nest looks like a jungle :shock: a very unexpected view :slap:
I would say the nest looks like some corners of our garden.! :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

It looks rather like my local Osprey nest and I am pretty sure that was occupied for the season.

But much better than the plastic of before, eh?
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

:puzzled: was thinking...Urmas, we all know you are an excellent climber,
but sorry, your gardening skills....you can do better! :whistling:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

How do you say "salad bowl" in Estonian? :whistling:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

autumn arriving to Stork forest...some yellow leaves in the nest and nettles are growing just fine :D
Liis

Post by Liis »

Kuremari wrote:autumn arriving to Stork forest...some yellow leaves in the nest and nettles are growing just fine :D
I am pretty sure that the nettle plant roots will survive the winter, alive (any bets?). So unless Urmas goes on an unweeding (disweeding? weeding?) action, there will be a nest with garden terrace next spring.
(Bociany: salad bowl = salatikauss. But this is salad at pre-bowl stage)

Seems to be at least one more species, low down, under nettle, slightly to the right of middle, longish glossy leaves :mrgreen:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

looks like dandelion leaves to me?! :puzzled:
also very useful and full of vitamins - real salad stuff... :mrgreen:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Kuremari wrote:looks like dandelion leaves to me?! :puzzled:
also very useful and full of vitamins - real salad stuff... :mrgreen:
a friend of mine who studies wildlife nutrition says that dandelions are Nature's perfect food 8-)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Last year, a friend of mine was in hospital, having a hip replacement. She persuaded the nurses to go out and pick dandelion leaves for her mealtimes. I think she was interested in the magnesium content, at that time.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis Is that looking like wheat or corn? in the nest.?
Kuremari,Jo Recently revived films about World War 2 shown on T.V. say that a lot of people in Europe survived those years by eating Nettles in salads,soups and even just like that...plucked from the plant and squashed it tastes delicious. (haven't tried yet !!).
Here the older people still go out in early spring and pick the young plants for...salad ! (with croutons a l'ail it's said to be m-m-m yummy.) :nod:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

For a while my parents were picking young dandelion leaves to immerse in white wine -- the wine was supposed to be healthful -- seems like it tasted fine. I think in the Southern US eating dandelions is common. As to nettles they are so uncommon here I would not recognize them -- and on a nature tour I found out I am not very sensitive to them.
Liis

Post by Liis »

There is no greenery on (in?) any of the other nests, nor has it been in the stork nest earlier years. Were the cameras taken off before there was time for the garden to grow up and be seen? :puzzled:
Kuremari - of course, dandelion. Yellow flowers on nest next year then ...
Macdoum, Alice, Jo, Bociany - at least some years ago dandelion seeds, special salad variety, were sold by French seed co:s. Some grow the leaves in darkness, like chicory (supposed to be less bitter and less fibre-y so).
Nettles are still eaten quite widely as nettle purée soup in Sweden in spring (most keep it to the one meal a year though, " spring is here, fresh nature, wonderful nettle soup!, mm, ehh ... ughhhh"). They had better be squashed if you eat them raw, yes, partly on the principle that the little spines that go into your skin and deliver that blistering fluid get broken off before they come into your mouth. The sting is mostly just irritating, nothing like poison ivy or jellyfish
Macdoum - About the grass: some grain crop, yes, why not. Seems like there is a low-growing kind too.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Liis wrote:There is no greenery on (in?) any of the other nests, nor has it been in the stork nest earlier years. Were the cameras taken off before there was time for the garden to grow up and be seen? :puzzled:
The stork nest is the only nest that wasn´t used this year, but Padis put more or less fresh building material (with all those seeds) there. And since there were no birds (who would have destroyed the plants) the plants could grow in peace.
I quess that´s the reason.
asteria

Post by asteria »

I think that nettle and grass grew here from some little stalks Padis brought together with moss, not from the seeds.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Ricky wrote: The stork nest is the only nest that wasn´t used this year, but Padis put more or less fresh building material (with all those seeds) there. And since there were no birds (who would have destroyed the plants) the plants could grow in peace.
I quess that´s the reason.
Yes, well, kids in the garden, footballs and feet all over the roses ... :mrgreen:
As you say, Padis probably brought much more seeds with the moss than come with bare branches or dead grass. I suspect too that he brought some clumps of grass with soil and roots from the river or fish pond - that nettle is too vigorous for a summer's seedling, with all due respect for weed power (should be out uprooting them really)
In Eagles & Ospreys in Finland Chrissy wrote of ospreys carrying bits of golf course turf to the nest ...

EDIT: Asteria, you beat me to it, quite agree that the nettle isn't from seed in the nest
asteria

Post by asteria »

So the nest looks like roofs in Norway. :laugh:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”