Summary of the 2008 Nesting Season

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
visitor

Re: Summary of the 2008 nesting season

Post by visitor »

June 14th p.124-127

Mr. Big's birthday, one month.

Little stork games since early morning, preening, stretches, flying lessons, spreading wing exercises...

Four feedings:
Donna 9.23
Padis 15.01 - he flew around the nest maybe for 5 minutes and checked for a stranger stork.
Donna 16.36 - she was maybe 10 seconds on the nest.
Donna 19.05

The afternoon on the nest was quiet and sleepy. Miss Little and Mr. Middle were laying next to each other, Mr. Big was sitting in front of them like a guard. At six o'clock in the evening it started to rain. The chicks were noticed watching in new direction - about a week or two ago they were often looking to the right corner and sometimes to the direction parents were coming with food, but this day they were looking to the left. Must have been something interesting there. They seemed very calm though.

At 19.17 Mr. Big vomited a frog and Mr. Mid quickly ate this gift. At 20.05 the same frog was eaten by Mr. Big again - Mr. Mid gave it back to him. This must have been a very indigestible frog. Or maybe the chicks thought they were old enough to practice some "chick-feeding".

There was some chattering about half past eight in the evening. The chicks looked alert, as if something has interested them.

It was raining all evening, the rain was not hard, but the chicks seemed soaked, they were sitting in calm, eyes shut, like sleeping. It seemed they had learned that it's better to sit and not to lay when it's raining.

June 15th p.127-132

Mr. Mid's birthday.

In the morning Miss Little was standing on one leg as an adult for few seconds. The sun came out at 08.03. The raven was noisy this morning.

Martin posted a translation of Mutikluti's PM to Urmas and Urmas' answer:
Mutikluti wrote:
I have a suspicious feeling that one of the young storks is ill, yesterday (Friday) it was making strange sound while sleeping, after waking, it was normal though. Today evening (Saturday) it vomited 3 times. It has been choosy all day long, the other two were trying to get it on it´s feet several times. It was walking around the nest in the meanwhile, but you can tell that it is not feeling good.
Urmas responded to her:
Let´s see what will happen. I wouldn´t want to intervene the nature´s course, rather be a passive observer, as much it would be possible. Tomorrow (Sunday) I would like to do their banding, in case it´s not raining, then I will check their health condition as well if I can.

Three feedings:
Donna 13.01
Donna 16.07
Padis 19.06

Jo wrote:
I don't think we have ever seen disagreement or hostility between them (the chicks). In some other birds' nests, there is constant bullying and fighting for supremacy.

There was a disturbing on the nest after four o'clock, before and after Donna fed her kids - a crackling sound was heard and the chicks growled, something they didn't do usually when an adult brought food. That was their alarm behaviour. The two bigger storklets were active and vocal, Miss Little was just sitting and looking on. A quick glimpse of a large bird flying past the nest was noticed, maybe a stork, maybe a crow.

Storkaholics were talking about coot's legs and editing or converting videos.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 16th p.132-139

The weather was fine, no rain and no strong wind. Chicks were doing their morning exercises, Miss Little was wondering is it her birthday or not, storkaholics were waiting for the banding of the storklets.

Three feedings:
Padis 11.53
Donna 12.08
Urmas 19.57

In the afternoon Bairbre wrote:
Look at those full crops! Their long legs and big feet are so funny right now. I expect to see one of them fall over backwards....or forward onto their beaks.

The Raven was calling a lot, it sounded quite agitated. The storklets often burst into a spell of chattering and they were standing for quite long periods already.

19.06 - most extraordinary noises were heard from the chicks - they sounded like a swarm of angry bees - and then they froze, like statues.
19.30 - alarm calls and defensive postures again. Miss Little was definitely the most vocal. Then she laid down... maybe she hoped the intruder won't see her.
19.31 - Urmas was in the nest, said some words to viewers, banded, measured and weighted the storklets. The chicks were fighting back, trying to protect themselves and each other, striking at Urmas' hands with their beaks. Urmas finished in half an hour and left. The new citizens of Estonia got 1 kg of Baltic Herring for the inconvenience. Mr. Big ate first, then Mr. Mid and Miss Little. Mr. Big and Miss Little fought over two of the fish.
20.08 - all the fish was eaten. And it started to rain. Poor teens, first intruder, then man-handled, then bribed with fish, and then a thunder storm...

Martin wrote:
I guess they are thinking about, who was that?, why was he here?, what are those things attached to our legs and will he return and bring us more fish?

Bairbre wrote:
I was thinking that too, Martin. Also, what will Donna or Padis think if they bring food and the teens are not hungry?
Regarding the chicks protecting their brothers and sisters, I had the impression that Mr. Big and Mid were protecting Miss Little as Urmas climbed the tree. Both were standing with Miss Little sitting between them. But then I thought I was being silly and "humanizing" their behaviour.

22.11 - the chicks were still looking on the side Urmas came from.

June 17th p.139-143

Windy and not very warm day. Wing gymnastics, leg stretchings, playing with sticks. More black feathers again.

Four feedings:
Donna 8.24
Padis 13.06
Padis 17.07 - he had very clean and red legs.
Donna 18.13

Something disturbed the chicks at 11.42.
Thunder started at two o'clock in the afternoon, chicks were soaked and tousled, spiny as hedgehogs. But they had nice, full crops.

Another disturbance at 17.28.

There was a funny moment on the nest in the afternoon - the boys were playing with a piece of moss, probably they were hoping it's edible, and then Miss Little took it away from them and put it on the edge of the nest... the floor must be clean.

Evening's topic: are there any such wild animals in that forest which could yet threaten the chicks.
a storkaholic
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

June 18th
Martin started the day at 4.30 with a pic of three dripping, soaked storklets. The rain has soaked them thoroughly. they are huddled together. See pic on page 144
Martin was working to a deadline and had not slept for 28 hours. This is important news to the black stork topic, because it will affect the number of pics and posts, in case anyone wants to say the words Off Topic!

Discussion of the weather - so much rain now. Only a few days ago there was worry about the drought, and how weather affects the food supply for the chicks.
Urmas visited, trying to console us
"In most of other nests are about two weeks younger chicks, there either adults cover them or is much worse picture (as no real feathers covering youngs).
I hope to first one!
Weather is changing from South direction, warm wind is coming."

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/730
in which it is reported that this year's chicks are smaller than last year's at the same age, but Martin says there is a 2 day age difference when banded. Last year's chicks were 2 days older when banded.
Next, discussion of Mr. Big's toe/ankle knee joint. The shape is worrying some of us.

Martin has been keeping track of facts and figures and gives us

Last year..........This year..........Difference

2,6kg................1,84kg.............-0,76kg
2,2kg................1,78kg.............-0,42kg
2,0kg................1,48kg.............-0,52kg

By 2pm the weather improved. Gabriella from Hungary joined, to ask if it seemed the Mr Big's leg was causing him pain. Lili in Tallinn studies as many pics of his toe as she can find, and sees no deformity. We love to have something to worry us!
Then there followed a discussion of toes as seen in many screen captures by different members.

Food visits
7.40 - could not say which adult visited.
Donna 18.38
Padis 19.09

Juta posted contrasting pics - Morning of bedraggled, hunched, wet chicks. Evening of soft sun rays on dry fluffy chicks.

Urmas posted that he had planned to visit the nest again tomorrow (19th June) but having read the forum observations comparing dates with last year's chick, he decides to wait another 4 -5 days. He will check Mr. Big's toe, and collect feathers for DNA testing.

Late at night, there is a thunder storm and more rain. Young ones have to spend a third night in a wet nest, but by 1.30 am it was dry and peaceful.

June 19th

Feeding

???? 7.20
Padis 10.43
Padis 15.38
Donna 16.31
Donna 19.43

Stranger stork visited. The chicks all faced toward him/her, a bit to the right of the webcam view. And then - Catastrophe! The webcam went off line, leaving us with no view into the nest. Members quickly became disorientated. One of them even opened a newspaper and read an article saying that internet addiction is becoming a serious problem. That doesn't apply to us, of course!

After about 2 hours, the camera connection was restored and the chicks were visible again. uasdfg reported that there had been problems with connectivity outside of Estonia.

It was a quiet, dry, sunny day, full of nothing exciting at all. Discussion roamed half-heartedly around UFOs and crop circles, and the going was slow. Yawn - - -
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 20th p.152-154‏

It was a quiet day in the nest, four quick visits by parents.

Donna 7.48 - Quick breakfast, from touch-down to take-off: 20 seconds!
Maybe Padis, maybe Donna 8.59 ( 25 sec. )
Donna 13.23 with her favourite food, frogs, for her chicks.
Padis 16.05.17-16.06.19

Chicks were stretching wings and legs, practising standing on one leg. According to Mutikluti - "Miss Little is able to stay on one leg as her parents... Mr.Mid practices this and Mr.Big wants too stay on one leg but he can practice it between other chicks..." In the evening Mr. Big was standing in the same position for more than hour. It seemed he has been learned to sleep standing.
It started to rain in the nest forest after nine PM.

Not very busy on forum either, one quick visit by Urmas promising to go to the nest on Sunday. Storkaholics were talking about Mr. Big's toe (it seemed the toe was getting better) and X-shaped legs.

June 21th p.154-158

Another quiet day on the nest. Four feedings again.
Donna 9.17
Donna 12.09
Padis 13.48
Donna 16.45

In the morning there was a banding of white storklets in Hungary. White storklets are very peaceful, instead of fighting back (like our black bravehearts) they are pretending dead... :D

It was windy, but sunny day in the nest forest. A lot of wing stretches, yawning and preening was going on.The raven was heard... he sounded very close by. No worries though - the chicks are too big for him now.

And at 10 pm a motor cycle was heard.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 22th p.158-164

Five feedings:
Donna 7.32
Donna (just a guess) 11.00
Padis 15.03
Donna 15:56 ...in and out in about 15 seconds
Urmas 20.19

A day full of action. Chicks have been noticed disturbed at 7.55, 11.27, 15.31, 19.53 and 23.45. In the morning they saw something under the sky, maybe the stranger stork was around, at night gunshots were heard.

In the evening (19.53) Urmas visited the nest - he was checking chick's legs (everything was alright with toes!), took feathers for DNA, weighted and measured the chicks and measured the nest - 1.20 x 1.30 (metres).
He left some presents to storklets - lot of fish and a branch.

There is recording: mms://video.eenet.ee/arhiiv/2008-06-22.asf

20. 32 - live stream went off, the Team upgraded power at the same time in Tallinn and needed reboot the server.

Info about viewers - this evening ~1000 simultaneous watchers,
the most: 1500-1600 simultaneous, 20-30 000 connections per day normally, 81500 max.

11.56 - Jo came out with an idea to build a Wish List for next year.

After midnight Bociany wrote:
I love seeing Urmas with the book - like he was reading a story ... I know he was recording data, but on Midsummer Eve, anything is possible, right? And maybe there will be a wonderful myth now among the storks, about the FishMan who climbs into the nest on Midsummer's Eve, and leaves treats if you are good boys and girls ...

June 23th p.164-167

The last fish Urmas brought yesterday was eaten at 4.48 am. Mr. Middle grabbed it shortly after daylight while the other two were still sleeping.

Only three feedings:
Padis 11.20 - many little fishes
Donna 12.30
Donna 20.03

It started to rain in the afternoon, chicks were wet and hungry and looked quite miserable. The weather was better in the evening, but the night was rainy again.

Some bird was calling at 20. 57 (it was a Black Woodpecker) and sounds of alarm by chicks were heard at 23.41 and after, it was too dark to see anything.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 24th p.167-171

Was a rainy, windy day and chicks looked quite miserable, dirty, wet and hungry. The raven was heard around.

Three food drops:
Donna 11.13
Padis 12.23
Padis 16.42

Urmas gave some answers to our questions:
* Storklets feel more firm if sitting, sometimes happens that adult stork will not leave nest if nest is visited and then adult will sit also in same way for protect the nest against intruder. That has been not in Estonia, but in southernmost places, like Czech. Here BSs are more shy.
* BS chicks are more aggressive against intruders as WSs, because there are very few enemies for urban landscape, but forest is a bit different. Also WS adults are almost the time close-by, but BS adult forage in far, so they should protect them selves if necessary.
* Nest location is North of Tartu, more close to small down Jõgeva. Weather webcam there: http://weather.ee/jogeva/
* There is wireless data link from nest to Jõgeva about 13km. Such long distance causes some defects in sound channel. In video you could not notice small defects.

Mr. Big was doing his Charlie Chaplin impression, legs slightly bent in the X position and both feet turned outwards. But he was standing well on one leg.

The rain stopped after ten in the evening.

June 25th p.171-173

The morning brought sad news about Bunnibits, the starter of our thread.
Bociany wrote:
Bunny is very ill at this time and I would like to ask all of you who visit here to stop and think a very positive thought for her. There is no one who is more enthusiastic about the natural world or who has contributed more to this forum (she is the top poster and friendliest one here!)

In the morning Urmas wrote:
* Jutas behavior I see something like 'restlessness caused by black stork forum'...
Don't expect that Urmas is able to answer to every question, actually I'm not scientist, but more as conservationist or protector of eagles and BSs. At least so feel about myself.
The aim of Eagle Club is to save eagles and BSs so, that these will beautify Estonian landscapes also in future! Think, during last twenty years we have learned something and also made according our knowledge.
In Eagle Club are several high graduated scientists and they share knowledge with all members of Club for to reach best way following the aim of Club.
* How to call different ages of storks and eagles?
Think, its not very necessary to unify the terms, important if all understand right. In scientific literature young birds (before fledging) are called as pullus (pl. pulli), a fledgling is a bird that has just left the nest, i.e. it has fledged. Birds not reached sexual maturity, are called juveniles. By eagles there is possible to determine sub-adult stage, i.e. couple of years before they begin to breed.
For BS first year after fledging we could see juvenile plumage and second year there is possible to determine sub-adult stage of life (less red beak and legs as by adults, some brownish feathers). At third year there is difficult to separate them from adults and they potentially are ready to breed (practically it happens later).

In the nest forest it was a wonderful (dry) day, a wonderful (not raining) world (only a bit of rain around 11 am.).

Martin wrote:
Some questions on my mind:
After fledging the nest, what are the odds that some of the chicks(incl. last year ones and maybe next years), will return to their birth nest?
Are storks (or any birds) able to recognize their young or brothers and sisters after few years time?
Urmas answered:
Sorry Martin, I forgot that question, though read it before!
In nature there is such rule, that offspring do not return to the birth place (usually). More over - sister's and brother's distribution during their breeding is different. Thats because to avoid the mating between close relatives. We have small sample, but seems male juveniles drift farther away from home nest as females. It needs to pick up ringing data about ringed breeding birds (like Padis), but also there is not so much to analyse. Tagged with transmitters juveniles will get the best answer, but is very expensive method.
Suppose, they don't recognize relatives or even partners after a year.

Five feedings:
Donna 9.02
Donna 12.09
Padis 14.00
Donna 14.58
22.07 - don't know who was it, but what a nice surprise, so late in the evening!

Mister Mid (not 100% sure) made his "first flight" - big jump - he managed to get his feet off the nest by an inch for a second.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 26th p.173-175

A beautiful sunny day. Four feedings:
10.53 Donna
11.52 Padis
17.19 Donna
19.30 Padis

At 15.25 stranger stork visited the nest, he flew away at 15.44. mms://video.eenet.ee/arhiiv/2008-06-26.asf

About chicks reaction -
Jo wrote:
When Urmas is on the nest, they don't behave like that. I have often thought that, when stranger stork is close, they look the same as when Donna or Padis is approaching the nest, with food.

Martin wrote:
Also notice the head noding, this is what they do when they feel threatened by another stork. I just love the way they started chatting with each other after the stranger left, as if there was an argument about who that was.

And Juta wrote:
I like this forum very much.
1. Nothing gets lost what happens on the nest during the day. Here is always somebody watching and posting.
2. Great people from so many countries

June 27th p.175-182‏

It was a very hard day for dedicated storkaholics, used to keep an eye on the nest and storklets. At 7.30 am the cam picture disappeared.

Urmas was trying to calm the addicts down:
There is the time to begin with alienation from camera dependence!...
I see, you have already problems in work, you can't go sleep right time - ie problems in family etc.
For slower alienation there is recommend to switch on Estonian eagle cam:
Hide the window and only listen the sound... pick up some prolonged up today task and work calmly!
For resting minutes (once per hour, if urgent need appears) there are couple of curative images to add to the Estonian eagle cam sound (for security these are of Latvian origin): (pictures from eagle nest).
Usage allowed for medical purposes only!

Different treatments were tried out to ease the withdrawal symptoms - sugar water, walking, dictionaries, photos, Yeti, acupuncture... but nothing really helped. Heartbreaking pleas "Give us back our storklets" were heard all day.

Shortly after half past six the connection with the nest was restored. Urmas wrote on Looduskalender:
The problem was successfully repaired within about 20 minutes, but on the way down I caught glimpse of a shadow sliding over the forest. I was afraid to get "caught" by one of the adult birds, so I froze against the back side of the nest tree's trunk. My fear was justified, as Donna landed at the nest a couple of minutes later. She apparently didn't notice anything dangerous, and the chicks were also surprisingly calm during the repair.

No information about what was going on in the nest this day, the only feeding spotted was

Donna 18.51
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

June 28th p.182-‏187

Four feedings:
06:50 Padis or Donna
07.55 Donna
13.16 Donna
19.27 Donna

Peaceful morning in the nest. Storklets were spending their time by grooming each other.
Urmas gave a promise to equip two of youngs and one adult with satellite transmitters.

At 14.59 the stranger stork visited the nest. He stayed on the branch near the nest for 13 minutes and all the time storklets were begging for food.

In the afternoon youngsters were practising standing on one leg - they were quite good at it.

A lot of movements were heard from the nest after dark - but we didn't see anything.

June 29th p.187-192‏

Early wake up - a momentary alarm at 05.47, there was some growling. But it was over in a few seconds, whatever it was.

Five feedings:
11.09 Donna
11.52 Padis
15.34 Padis
17.21 Donna
18.15 Padis (not sure)

Lot of trainings - standing on one leg (Miss Little seems to be the most confident, boys need some more practice), stretching wings and legs.

New behaviour of parents was noticed - the adult stork (Donna?) didn't come straight to the nest, the chicks saw someone coming and prepared to take the food, then they calmed down and in less than 30 seconds they jumped up again... and then the food arrived.

June 30th p.192-198

The new day on the nest started at 06.38. Mr. Big woke up the others and they did that famous low sound.

Five feedings again:
09.53 Donna
12.12 Padis
15.35 Donna.
16.06 Padis
18.57 Donna

Ordinary day, usual activities...

It was raining from 17.37 to 18.05. The chicks seemed a bit muddy, but Jo promised to go on the nest with water and shampoo.
And Martin promised to follow the youngsters to Africa and keep observing them.

Four young white storks were ringed in Przygodzice (Poland) this morning. That caused a short course of Polish. We learned that"bocian" means "stork" and "przyroda" means "nature.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 1st p.198-203

Rainy morning. The storklets were so big that they did't fit in the cam window.

Juta wrote:
Watching them in the rain I understand completely why they fly away to Africa.

Usual activities - standing on one leg, preening, stretching wings and legs.

Martin wrote:
I´m afraid that the camera is the first one to fly, it simply will be flapped away...

Five feedings:
Donna 10.46
Padis 11.50
Donna 13.17
Donna 17.31
Padis 17.48

Father demonstrated a new and interesting way of landing on the nest, almost as if he parachuted down - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7ZuX5vNJw

Quite many visitors -
8.42 - someone was walking under the nest tree, very loud branch cracking sound, probably a moose.
11.33 - the Black Woodpecker was around - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWn8RXaV9Nk - you can see it arriving and leaving.
14.28 - a small bird visited the nest for few seconds, storklets didn´t even notice.
18.05 - a Raven gave a long concert to our teenagers - and they were very grateful public, they were listening this concert attentively.

Storkaholics had a long discussion about F lock key and Martin had to raise the prediction of the number of pages to 321.

July 2nd p.203-209

Wonderful morning in the forest - no rain.

Wonderful day in the nest - 7 feedings:
Donna 8.10 - storklets noticed her 30 seconds before she arrived on the nest.
Padis 8.25
Donna 10.40
Padis 11.37
Donna 16.14
Padis 17.40
Donna 19.35

Linguistic day on the forum - similarities and differences of Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian.

Quite busy traffic under the nest in the evening:
20.30 - strange voices were heard : human voices, branches rustle... Storklets were quiet, maybe it was nothing, maybe some animal walked by talking by himself.
21.48 - there was an animal walking under the nest, probably a moose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfeK6epBbOw
This one is the original, a bit better quality - http://www.martin641.planet.ee/DP/Moose.mpg

At 23.50 a few of those strange breathings were heard - wheezing, like asthma. That stopped almost as soon as it started.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 3rd p.209 -214

Nice morning, no rain and the birds were singing.

Six feedings:
Padis 8.04
Donna 8.42
Padis 10.00 - it wasn´t "fast" food this time. Padis spent over one minute on the nest. Arrived at 10.00 and left at 10.01.46.
Donna 17.26
Donna 19.00
Donna 21.08

It was raining from 12. 57 - 13.51.

Urmas wrote at 15.41:
Welcome new people here!
First about Estonian people in forum- at least two of them are from South-Estonia...
Yesterday evening, after Donna's visit I was near nest with Slovakian colleagues to look about camera installing peculiarities. Some voices probably we made. Could be that after us went through some moos or boar.
Unfortunately it's not possible to let you know about sex of last year chicks, these are determined, but data in Sweden and manager of these data here for field season...
Current year chick are not determined, yet.
We did not sign the protection zones, as its quite low probability that side-by-people appear occasionally to be inside that. And the locations of nests are not public information.

It was raining again in the afternoon and a lake appeared in the nest.

Storkaholics found an article about Urmas in Estonian newspaper "Postimees" and spent the evening trying to translate it, successfully, btw.

July 4th p.214-219

We had a nice, calm morning. Chicks were in very "loving" mood this day, much cuddling and hugging etc.

Five feedings:
Padis 6.33
Donna 11.14
Padis 11.44
Donna 15.32
Donna 17.32.05-17.32.10.......5 sec!!!

Thunder storm began at 14.42, careful observer Jo saw a big hail stone hitting a storklet. It bounced off.

In the afternoon Jo posted a message from the birder:
Tooni was caught with special cage on the feeding place - forest stream, not far from its nest. The partner of Tooni behaved seeing the artificial stork in cage like dancing some war dance. In same time Tooni went into the cage and was caught. The nest is not very successful last decade, about half of years were without of nestlings, at least twice the Pine Marten raid the nest. This season Tooni probably has not laid the eggs at all. Tooni is nesting also in artificial nest, built near the fallen down natural one. Tooni and its partner forage for the prey not far from the nest on forest streams and ditches, also sometimes on the rivers of Alam-Pedja Nature Reserve. After the equipping with transmitter Tooni from time to time visits her nest and also the place where was caught. We haven’t any observations about the partner of Tooni after the catching, therefore maybe male Black Storks leave breeding grounds before the females...

Some educational topics on the forum:

Brit started a long discussion about moose.

Gabriella wrote:
"Sadly, no one remembers the ancient Estonian names for the black stork, however, Russian linguists have discovered that, in the old Novgorod region, the word “aist” (stork) had the same meaning as the word “estonets” (an Estonian) does today to the people of that area."

Arvi wrote:
Tacitus (55-118 AD) mentioned people living in region known now as Estonia as 'aesti'.
I'm not sure about 'aesti' and russian 'aist' having same roots, but quite big part of tribes united into russian nationality were fenno-ugric ones. There is more fenno-ugric influences in russian language, than russians are comfortable to confess.

Jo wrote:
On this page there is an alphabetical list of country names. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... tymologies
Estonia
From the Latin version of the Germanic word Estland, which could originate from the Germanic word for "eastern (way)", or from the name Aestia, first mentioned in ancient Greek texts. Palaeogeographers have not located Aestia exactly: the name may have instead referred to modern Masuria in Poland.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 5th p.219-223

Very beautiful morning.
NAB (North American Branch) member Bociany reported shortly after 6 am: Everyone is up and stretching their legs and wings.

At 11.47 Mutikluti wrote:
Did stranger stork visit us? I heard klok-klok and our teenagers woke up as one man. They were sleeping at this moment when the klok-klok was heard by me and this voice interceded from top of the nest-tree. Teenagers looked together in this direction. After this klok-klok I didn`t hear nothing anymore. Storklets were sitting in this pose few minutes and then got quiet...

Five feedings:
Donna 10.03
Padis 11.04
Padis 12.41
Donna 14.58
Padis 19.51

The last feeding was very quick and made some observers doubt in the adult - was it Padis or maybe the stranger? The decision after some discussion - Padis it was.

Renandeli posted a pic of the first yellow leaf at 19.51.

July 6th p.223-231

Nice dawn. Our small white storklets were going to be BLACK storks. Feedings had become very quick, probably there was less food also. It seemed that Donna and Padis were teaching them to live in wild, frogs and fishes don`t wait to be eated, storklets must do all movements quickly.

Only two feedings:
Donna 9.10
Padis 14.06

There was an alert at 10.20. Stranger stork was visiting our storklets, loud klok-klok was heard by Mutikluti.

At 13:38 the stranger arrived again and stayed near the nest for about 20 minutes. Storklets were begging for food, they almost lost their voices, but no fish from the stranger.

Jo wrote:
I have been wondering about these birds - as they are smaller than last year's birds, will they be able to make up their smaller physiques by growing more in the coming year, if there is adequate food for them, or are they already restricted in their potential for growth? I suppose growth continues for another 18 - 24 months?

After four o'clock in the afternoon there was a sound of a child and an adult close by, for a short time, they were talking in Estonian. The chicks looked curious but not disturbed. Then a vehicle could be heard - it drove off. Then it was all quiet again.

The chicks were quite active. At 17.25 Mister Mid rose in air for a moment and shortly after that Mr.Big did some strenuous wing flapping.

Half past six it started to rain again.

In the evening Bairbre wrote:
Miss Little is such a loner. I have never seen this behaviour in storks, but then last year was my first experience watching the nest.
Has anyone else ever seen this behaviour before?

Jo answered:
It does look like that - that she doesn't want to be a member of the group. She has always faced the other way! Let's hope she doesn't have to play team sports - she would be no good at that. She will be a very good flyer, or fisheman, on her own.
Oh yes, they often look in the same direction, but over the weeks, Little has been the one to look the other way. We seem to have posted more pics of feeding times here, so looking back doesn't really illustrate what I mean.

At 19.30 Martin wrote:
Due to the fact that they are very hungry and parents are nowhere to be seen, I guess, they decided to eat the nest instead.

Storkaholics were talking about PigTV - nice memories and hopes for the future were shared.
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 7th p.231-235

Good day in the nest. Morning started usually, the first picture showed the two bigger storklets together and Miss Little in the back in her own corner.

Five feedings:
Donna 7.55 - the feeding lasted about 30-40 seconds, longer than recent average.
Padis 11.35
Donna 14.29
Padis 15.10
Donna 19.54 - this feeding was the living proof that black storks can fly in the rain.

Lot of exercises, stretches, jumps etc.
12.02 - the storklets were angry to somebody, klock-klock and urrrr were heard by Mutikluti.
14.42 - Mr.Mid was trying to take the camera down.
18.14 - it started to rain again. Yarko wrote:
... when it's raining, they look like kids from whom toys are taken away. Their beaks look longer and "faces" look offended.
20.45 - the storklets were in waiting position, after a while they suddenly turned right.

Storkaholics were talking about hair-do's - that Padis's head looks like bald and his kids have the frisure just like punkrockers.

At 20.47 Martin wrote:
Mutikluti asked me to translate the following thoughts that she has, concerning yesterday´s feedings.
On Saturday evening I could hear some loud music nearby. And yesterday there were some people wandering in the forest. So I think that there was some kind of picnic party close to the nest and that is the reason why there were only 2 feedings yesterday. Donna is so cautious, that not even ornithologists are able to catch her. And so is Padis, whenever there are noisy people around, they will vanish. They were simply scared away and the storklets had to starve.
Personally I agree with her, I think it´s very reasonable conclusion.

The others on the forum agreed too and talked a bit about music.

In the evening the storklets demonstrated a new skill - they were sleeping in standing position as big storks. The reason for that was the wet nest floor - who likes to lie down in wet conditions... Last year there was said on one update that young storks understood at last that it was much more comfortable to sleep standing when there was raining. Our storklets had learned it too.

July 8th p.235-238

Another nice day in the nest forest.

There was some excitement after six o'clock in the morning, but food didn't come.

Lots of exercises, the storklets also had quite many arguments about taking the exercise turns. Some good high jumps - Mr. Big wes seen 3-5 cm above the nest bottom.

At 11.51 there was some kind of new sound in the forest, here you can hear it - http://martin641.planet.ee/DP/Newsound.wmv (thanks to Martin!).

No sign of the stranger or any other disturbance. Only a butterfly visited our teens at 14.45 - they gave their best to catch it, but no success.

Three feedings:
Donna 9.32
Padis 15.29
Padis 17.50
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 9th p.238-242

In the morning a very sad picture appeared in the nest - it was still raining, storklets were sitting around a lake, wet and hungry, legs and feet overlapping... Fortunately the weather became better soon.

Three feedings:
Donna 11.27
Padis 14.08
Padis 18.34

At 14.22 a little bird was visiting the nest, our teens were pretty angry. It was funny to see how much noise they made about a little bird, obviously they felt that it was intruding their home. Other birds were flying around too - cranes and geese (or herons) were heard calling.

The afternoon was sunny and storklets were in good mood. Miss Little strolled and stretched, Mr. Mid was trying to move an annoying branch from the nest, Mr. Big was jumping a lot and gaining new heights. Storklets were helping each other with preening, also Martin felt an irresistible need to join them and pull some plumules out of Mr. Big´s head. This made Jo to run to a dictionary. On Looduskalender Urmas gave a promise to give a transmitter to Priidupoeg.

In the evening Juta wrote:
Isn´t today the first real jumps day? Should we write it down in the diary?
And Yarko answered:
Yes, please. July 09 - the first REAL JUMPS day.

July 10th p.242-247

Early in the morning Mr. Big was seen holding on to some white down (fluff) in the tip of his beak, it was blowing in a slight breeze. Shortly after that he groomed Ms. Little and then stayed a long time on the edge of the nest and looked what´s outside.

Only two feedings again:
Padis 08.07
Donna 09.52

At 08.25 a black stork flew over the nest and landed on the dead tree trunk, stood there for 2 minutes and then took off. About a half past eleven someone irritated the storklets and an hour later there was another "teaser" by an adult. Obviously the luring process has began, parents were calling the chicks to fly. Mr. Mid didn't respond as the others did - he remained standing as the other two crouched and begged. Maybe he didn´t have much faith in getting food, maybe he understood that it isn't the food coming, but he's just not ready yet to follow the adult. Instead of flying he chased a butterfly again.

Martin wrote:
Mr. Mid seems so restless, I think in his mind he is ready to fly, but the wings are not as advanced yet. Almost as if he just can´t wait till the wings will start producing some lift...frustrating.

Storkaholics were talking about the feeding of chicks - is it bad or not, why is it so rare, is there a connection between being hungry and learning to fly. Also there was a discussion about the feather growth - the storklets didn't have fully grown flight feathers yet, so it would have been too much to ask them to fly already.

Jo wrote:
From what I have seen in other nests, other years, when the day for flight arrives, the adult bird takes food to a branch or nearby tree, to entice the young bird to fly to get food. We have also seen a parent bird repeatedly fly by the nest as encouragement. They, the chicks and the adults, will know when that day comes.
From all I can see, these young storks are nowhere near ready.

Martin wrote:
About that feeding... I remember from somewhere, maybe from Tooni´s Diary that when the chicks reach the age when they are physically ready to fly, then by that time they are usually heavier than the adults, so in order the parents will start feeding them less and also start this "teasing", by which they are sayng to the chicks that, if you want food, then come and get it. The "starvation" will actually reduce their body weight and make the flying much more easier, if not to say possible. If you looked at the video which Tasane linked, you probably noticed that the storklets were actually very thin/slim. So I guess maybe Donna and Padis feel like the time has come. Today we whitnessed 2 "teasers" and I´m sure we will see some more tomorrow. Somebody mentioned that it could have been the Stranger, I think it is possible, but still unlikely. i´m sure that Donna and Padis know how to raise their young much better than we do, I trust the storklets lives in their beaks.

Thanks to an article on Looduskalender storkaholics were talking about Estonian women, especially about the strong women from islands.

At 11.28 in the morning Yarko wrote:
I have an idea:
maybe we should make Urmas' life easier and put all our questions (trapping, transmitters etc) togehther and send it to him (Looduskalender).
Otherwise it takes much of his time to find these questions from other text.
a storkaholic
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

July 11.

A warm, foggy start to the day.
Gabriella summarised yesterday, so-
To sum it up:
Yesterday: no elevences, no lunch, no afternoon-tea, no supper
Today: no breakfast
Conclusion: it's time to fly.

Storkaholics discussed their concerns about the poor food supply, and the Donna arrived with food at 10.10 - 10.11

Donna - 10.10
Padis - 10.58
Donna - 13.41
Padis - 14.56
Donna - 18.34
Padis - 18.41 Not a positive identification of Padis.

Interrupting the food supply statistics, there was a discusion of DeLorean and Bricklin vehicles, and Martin was so relieved to announce the collection of his NEW PC.
Three cheers around the world!
Meanwhile, Yarko's new book, The Cloud Spotter's Guide, is put to good use - it's a good-cloud-day in Estonia.
Bairbre wrote a memorable phrase "I love the quiet, serene, friendliness of our teens. Just watching as they are now renews my spirit."

Mutikluti gave words to the general mood of hope - "I am so glad today! Both parents did today on the nest 3 visits! It is a record!" Members shared in the feeling of relief that today has been a better day for foos supply. Then, there is a hint of the future - Renandeli doesn't want to think of a time when our chicks will fly away. Lucy is on hand to provide replacement comfort, with a link to an Osprey nest in Finland.

Discussion of the shedding of those white baby feathers. Sometimes it's like a snow fall, when the chicks flap their wings and lose more down, if down it is?
Macko50 posted a link to a video of last years chicks of Tony and Donna. At the same age, our chicks this year are small and under-developed, but hatched a week earlier than last year's young.
Renandeli and yarko ended the day with some introspection -

i think the life in nest is so touching because we see there same feelings and actions etc, as in human everyday life.
But the nestcamera shows us all these things more clearly.

yes, you're right - that's a bit like looking into ourselves.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Page 251

July 12
Bociany ends her day by observing the beginning of another day at the nest. Padis brings breakfast at 5.47

Padis - 5.47
Donna 12.26
Padis 13.04
Donna 14.15
Donna 16.48

Yarko is being troubled by a water rat - vesirott. He ruins her lawn.
The young ones were seen to behave in that way that tells us the Stranger stork is nearby. They pose as though an adult is about to bring food.
Lots of rain and a small lake formed in the nest.
The young ones are doing leg exercises by jumping high and wing-flapping.
Renandeli reported hearing and seeing two buzzards nearby. Aaah - correction. Buzzards near her home in Finland. Not at the nest.
Discussion of how the adults decide who shall catch frogs (Donna) and who will bring fishes (Padis). No firm decision was reached.
Mr. Mid seems to have most "get up and go" in his behaviour and movements. General agreement.
Storkaholics talked of Hedwig, the owl in the Harry Potter books. Estonian vodka was mentioned in a book by Tom Holt, read by Arvi, and yarko is a fan of Winnie the Pooh.
All of which is somehow related to Black storks. The reader must follow the clues.

Reports of members having heard a sound like gunshot. ?hunters nearby?

Juta's summary-
5,5 pages(and day is not over yet)

7.35 Padis
12.26 Donna
13.04 Padis
14.15 Donna
16.48 Donna

Not bad!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Page 257

July 13

Bociany starts the day again (and ends it in her own time zone!) with pics of early morning stretching by the chicks. The light is beautiful, and Bairbre adds some good pics too.
Lots more screen captures, showing big wing stretches
Then the first meal of the day is - well, - frogs, of course. Donna has been busy! Argo said it was Donna, Renandeli thought it was Padis. Who is right? Was there a leg-ring to be seen? No-one saw it. The argument continued, unresolved!
Then another feed at 12.01 and Mutikluti is confident that it was Padis.

In the morning light it is clear that these storklets are a bit scruffy. Tasane reminded us that Jo promised to take shampoo to the nest to make them look better groomed!

Moments of concern - Bairbre thought the young ones were alerted about something- their posture and sounds suggested it. Mutikluti worried that Miss Little was deprived of food by the bigger siblings. Yet, Juta thought it was Big who didn't eat at that meal time.

Jo reported hearing wheezing, rasping breath sounds at 16.58

Donna 10.07
Padis 12.01
Donna 13.00
Padis 14.55
XXXXX 16.55
Donna 19.20

The mystery XXXX was solved by the arrival of Gabriella - she came from the Hungarian forum with the news that they all believed it to be Padis who provided the meal at that visit.
Thanks, Hungary!

Strange breathing noises continued into the night! No-one seems too worried - the chicks all seem to be healthy, so maybe it is the equivalent of a stork-snore!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

JULY 14th

July 14th 2008

Monday starts with the arrival of Padis at 11:32 am - such a scrum and flapping of wings!! as shown in Scaps by Mutikluti

Argo noticed that - Such a fight over food that even feathers are flying. Ms.Little didnt even see that all the food was under her and she just kept trying to get the food from Padis's mouth! Fish as usual but seems that he brings now less food. I guess he realises that it's soon time to leave the nest.

JoUk thinks that Mr Mid will be the first to fly - maybe 7 to 10 days?
Difficult to say how long they will stay at the nest as they are slower than last year's chicks! - Mutikluti agreed with this assessment

Martin thinks that Mr Mid will be flying by Sunday - which leaves him with a problem!! He has bee trying to predict what page number we will be on when they leave the nest for good - yet another recalculation is in order!!

JoUK is all ready to make the changes - but Martin says Not Yet!!!! :D
Lets see if Mr Mid flies on Sunday!! And anyway - we haven't decided which event will mark the end!

1. When they all will be flying, but still on the nest
2. When the first storklet is gone for good
3. When all of them are gone for good
4. when everyone have gone, incl. D&P

Mutikluti thinks when the nest is empty
Yarko opts for when they are all flying but still on the nest!
Juta suggests - when the first bird fledges!!
Mmmmm! Choices - Decisions!!

Yarko thought that the second definition said - Gone for food - which led to some amusing misunderstandings!
All was well when it was realised the words were - Gone for Good - Phew!!

JoUK opted for #3 - when all three chicks have gone!
But the one thing definitely decided - is to have a grand Celebration on the day the first chick flies!!

In the midst of this debate - Martin spotted an animal under the nest - seems to be a Roe deer!
Gabriella and Bairbre came in to choose option 3 as well!
And Argo noticed that it was raining heavily - the storklets are looking very bedraggled and it doesn't look as though they will get much food today!
Martin challenged us to find the butterfly in the picture!! - No Problem - Argo posted a close up detail of the butterfly!!
Mackoo noticed that the rain has left Mr Mid with a punk hairstyle!!

Tasane chose option 4 -but wanted to add an option 5 - when everybody had gone - including the storkaholocs!!
But Martin was quick to point out:
"A true storkaholic will never leave , but waits for the spring, communicating with other addicts, trying to ease the sorrow and pain, till the storks return again ´and life will be good again"
And Yarko says - if everyone leaves - who will count the pages??????

Renandeli notices that the lake in the nest has never been this wide before - and when one stork puts his beak in the water - Juta says he is fishing!!

At 17:23 Donna came in with food!
And afterwards the chicks floated sticks on the pond in the nest - and practised catching frogs and suchlike!!

Padis brought more food at 18:21 - such a flurry of wings - they look all one blur in the scaps!
And Donna brought in food at 18:46 - just a few frogs!

Martin came home this weekend with a new computer - and is finally able to say: - I'm connected to the world now. And I have SOUND again

Various ones came in to say goodnight - to go off to a cosy bed - but it looks as though the storklets will be sleeping standing up tonight!!
But Wait - renandeli can hear voices on the nest!!
HaHA - it's a snoring sound - from the birds themselves!! - Juta says it has been heard before - almost as though their beaks act as a brass instrument!! - but it is a new sound for tasane!
JoUK also comes in and comments on the noise!

And it's time for Juta's roundup of the day!

5,5 pages

9.45 Donna
11.32 Padis
17.23 Donna
18.21 Padis
18.46 Donna

Very good for rainy day!

Macko then let us know that the sounds had been recorded! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhW4K5W-yVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2EfVjqEDFU
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

July 15th 2008

Page 267

July 15th 2008

Renenandeli posted a scap of Mr Mid - looking into the camera at 7:23 am
He is so beautiful with his bright eyes - and baby feathers on his beak!
And Bocianny posted a wider view showing that they are still wet and bedraggled!!

Mutikluti posts a scap of the little chicks at the beginning - by way of saying Happy Birthday to Mr Mid!!
Martin gave us an update on the predictions!:
The prediction game then:

1. When they all will be flying, but still on the nest - 0
2. When the first storklet is gone for good - 2 (Juta, Yarko)
3. When all of them are gone for good - 3 (Jo, Gabriella, Bairbre)
4. when everyone have gone, incl. D&P - 3 (Mutikluti, Tasane, Martin)

So there you have it, a tie, but many users have not voted yet, I'll wait till today evening and try again .

Many congratulations go to Mr Mid for reaching the grand old age of 2 months!!

Padis brought food at 07:46 to get the day started!
Padis again at 11:07 - Tasane says that Padis is bringing more food because of Mr Mid's birthday!!

Later on Mr Mid did his exercises - it really looked like he wanted to fly!
And Miss Little did some impressive wing stretches! Martin is wondering whether they might go together?

Meanwhile those present are discussing the camera set up - and wishing they had a night vision cam as well - in spite of an uneasy feeling that the storklets shouldn't be watched at night! Or perhaps we are humanizing them again!!

But all are agreed that Looduskalender run the best web cams on the Web!!
During the day various posters bring in some inventive reasons as to why a night cam is necessary!!

Argo posted a pic of Mr Mid getting air time - Perhaps he will fly soon!

Martin posted a Picture from Looduskalender, of a group of storks in Africa and ponders - "when the storks are in Africa(in Israel on the picture), are they one big friendly family? I think they are, because there are no nests to protect from intruders, so Padis and the notorious Stranger may be searching fish side by side like nothing ever happened"
Bairbre replies "That is an interesting question Martin. If the fish are plentiful there would be no aggression...just at the nests where the chicks are.... it makes a lot of sense."

Both Bairbre and Martin were quick enough to catch a food drop by Padis at 15:53!
Everyone agreed that it was fish this time and all three chicks got a good share! And Mutikluti observes that the chicks are friendlier to each other - so they are not hungry today!

Donna arrived with another feed at 16:42 - Yarko worries about them flying with so much food - but tasane reminds him that this is party day - let them eat! Even Looduskalender joined in with a special article - "A Birthday in the Nest"

But Yarko says he is serious - look at them now! at the moment it looks that best that they can do to get in Africa is to roll themselves over the edge, drop on the ground and walk slooooooowly and staaaagerly towards south

Brit reminds everyone that there are days when they are very much on a diet - aren't there? Tasane points out that they are not fat yet!

As evening draws to a close on this well fed Birthday day - the sunlight through the trees prompted many scaps - all beautiful!

Now - how did Martin's prediction game finish?
Prediction game voting results:

3. When all of them are gone for good - 4 (Jo, Gabriella, Bairbre, Bociany)
4. when everyone have gone, incl. D&P - 7 (Mutikluti, Tasane, Martin, Renadeli, Bociany, Lucy, Gabriella)

So the winning event will be nr.4. Let us say that this has happened when none of them have visited the nest for 48 hours since the last sighting. That means the total number of pages (at the moment when the last visit took place), will mark the correct number for prediction, all pages which are created in 48 hours after the visit, won´t count. Can you understand that ? I´m not sure if i can myself, very difficult to explain

I will give you the new and final number on sunday

Except that Gabriella has to point out that she is in two places - fortunately it doesn't spoil the results!

Finally the teens settled down for the night - but it sounds like rain! Suddenly there is a noise - Big and Mid are on alert - heads up, looking all around!
Then Bairbre posted "All seems quiet now. Must have been a bird or small animal that disturbed them."
So after a final flutter from Big - they all settled down - huddled together!!

Juta's summary revealed that there were 7 pages today!!
Summary.
Mr. Mid´s Birthday
Discussion about our young bird´s gender
Very important for science discussion about storkacholicks gender
Discussion about webcam brand
Discussion to be or not to be for night vision cam
Discussion and vote for Martin´s prediction

And between those there were some feedings:
7.46 Padis
11.07 Padis
14.06 Donna
15.53 Padis
16.42 Donna

Very productive day!

Finish on page 276
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 16th HWC p.276-286

Shortly after midnight Argo_L wrote:
Little information to all here. Today (Wednesday) it may happen that sometimes you can't see the camera. It's written in Estonian that it might be some difficulties with transmission on Wednesday, but no reason why...

At 07.03 Bociany wrote:
Somebody's feet are not touching the ground (nest) ... I think this might be Miss Little.
Juta replied: I´d say somebody even feels like flying!

07.32 - Martin posted corrected results (fledging):
3. When all of them are gone for good - 3 (Jo, Gabriella, Bairbre)
4. when everyone have gone, incl. D&P - 7 (Mutikluti, Tasane, Martin, Renadeli, Bociany, Lucy, Ambercat)

Storklets found a new toy for playing - a stick from the nest border.

Five feedings:
10.25 Donna or Padis
12.06 Urmas
14,17 Urmas
17.45 Donna
18.08 Padis - he let the storklets to beg some time, good for wings training.

Mutikluti and Martin were trying to decide who was the first feeder, Donna or Padis.
Mutikluti: Donna`s visits are very short but Padis likes to tempt his chiks, he doesn`t give immediately food for them....He stays on the border of the nest and gives to beg the food...
Mutikluti: Urmas said that one of chicks vomitted a frog.....it was Donna, not Padis who visited the nest.....
Martin: I don´t believe that Donna brings only frogs and Padis only fish, it´s absurd, they both catch whatever they can, it is clear that they forage in different places, but that doesn´t mean that they are specialized to catch only frogs or fish.

11.45 - camera connection was lost.
12.06 - connection came back and Urmas was in the nest. Storklets got a lot of fish. They were very calm and Urmas said that if some of them would fall then Risto was down there to catch them.
12.20 - Mr.Mid was put in a sack and was gone from the nest, down to ground level to fit a transmitter.
Urmas weighed and measured the other two. Mr.Big was 2,28kg and Ms.Little was 2,1 kg. It was good to know that Miss Little was catching up in weight with the others, although they were all very much underweighted.
12.34 - Mr.Big and Ms.Little weren't even hungry. They were waiting for Mr.Mid to return to the nest. Miss Little threw a fish out of the nest.
13.18 - Miss Little was still on look-out duty. Mr Big was eating, while her back was turned.
13.59 - Miss Little got hungry at last and had the three last fishes... and a little "mess" happened.
14.15 - there were 13 registered users and 6 guests on the forum, must have been a new record.
14.18 - Mr.Mid was back with transmitter and an alien abduction experience - something to tell the kids! Urmas left lots of fish for storklets. A big butterfly (Admiral) landed on the nest (seems that butterflies like to eat the stork sugar). Urmas told that Mr.Mid didn't stand at all when he was down on the ground. Miss Little attacked the transmitter.
14.55 - YEY!! Mr.Mid was standing tall, hopefully the stress level was dropping. He was a techno-stork now. Mr. Big didn't seem to like the transmitter very much.
17.31 - Mr. Mid was recovering... and his wings were in good condition.
17.43 - a feeding at last - all chicks had a good appetite and the parent didn't notice anything wrong with any of them - very good!
20.16 - it was raining again and our storklets had their own lake in the nest.

In the evening Jo wrote:
Today, I noticed that the teens are becoming careless with their personal hygeine - they are doing their waste disposal all over the nest, instead of at the edges. It's not just "traumatised" Mid - they all seem to be a bit careless. It's a good thing it rained and washed the place out a bit!
Juta wrote:
By the way I remembered that Urmas told they have to bolster up the nest in the winter, one edge is not enough steady.

Some occasional metallic chinking sounds were heard after dark.

Juta's summary:
Almost 10 pages
Miss Little´s birthday
Discussion about Martin´s prediction - continuous, but no doubt the winner is nr.4 (when everyone have gone).
Discussion about members gender - continuous.
New interesting symptom in storkacholism - personality´s changing, even very shy person becomes more active.
11.45 no connection to webcam.
12.06 suddenly Urmas on the nest with fish.
12.17 Mr.Mid left the nest.
12.17-14.17 Birds relatively calm and ate fish, members gathered together, nervous, full of feelings.
14.17 Mr. Mid back on the nest with transmitter.
Discussion about transmitter.
Very important decision: night vision camera is absolutely necessary!
a storkaholic
visitor

Post by visitor »

July 17th HWC p.286-291

The light this morning was very --- green. Our techno-stork Mr.Mid was in a good condition again. It seemed the ribbons and the transmitter really didn't disturb him at all, no inconvenience was noticed, hopefully he had already forgotten the transmitter and the yesterday's shocks. Mr. Big also wanted a transmitter, so he had to improvise... raising a white feather on his back.

It started to rain again.

Storkaholics did continue talking about the night-vision camera:
Jo wrote:
I think a night vision camera in this nest would bring only benefit to these storks and to all Black Storks everywhere, because of the increased knowledge they would allow. And we storkaholics NEED one
Surfside wrote:
Just from a logistical aspect, I don't think that the solar power used at this location would work very well for operating a camera at night. Someone might want to look into solving that problem.
Bociany wrote:
I vote for a night camera, because then I could actually see something during their night = my day.

Four feedings:
9.49 Donna
13.52 Padis
14.26 Donna
18.59 Donna

In the afternoon Urmas answered some questions:
* Hello dear stork people,
you are absolutely right about transmitter type and fastening of that. Martin's figure is also perfect. We use same method for fastening harness as shown in Renandeli's images, only on the breath crossing we use additional knot (and we also sew it through) for to be more sure in fastening. Two hours is needed for tagging because there is need to check all suitability to bird. Also we measured Mr Mid there on ground and found some leech in his throat, removed four ones. Probably there were more leech in deeper part of throat, not accessible for us. The leeches could be problem for black stork if bird should starve. Some studies about these parasites are made in Spain, but not here in north.
* If you see any problems for Mr Mid, caused by transmitter, please write! We are mostly in field and could not watch!
A small black attachment on right side of yellow tag and fitted with horizontal antenna is small radio transmitter used only for young birds. It is for case, if bird will stay in dark place and solar panel will not charge. Also we have possibility with help of radio signal to follow juvenile in landscape after leaving the nest.These in Mid's throat were other leeches, red and small ones. Real parasites. These come of infected adults I suppose during feeding, ie one of DP should have leech also...
Somewhere have a picture, but not in this place I write now.
* Leeches have spend all their life fastened in throat walls of a bird, they could accidentally go over to chicks with disgorged food. These leeches could not live free in nature, I suppose.
* Night option for camera is easy to use, but needs much more power and "two-eyed" camera. Last one is not so flexible to use in remote situation. We calculated that option in the beginning of project (last year), but decided go for sure and follow easier way.
But let see, what new models will appear up to next season...
OK! I understand the people on other side of our earth ball!
* Some years ago we discussed with Mr. Turovski about these leeches, but didn't find solution. Think there are no suitable medicaments available. External leeches are possible to fend off with salt water, but internal ones...? Mechanical removing is diminishing the number of parasites, but not 100% resulting.

Gabriella asked:Tell me, please, (theoretically) if it would appear that Mr. Mid is not Mr. but Miss Mid – whether in future the sticking up antenna does not disturb copulation, possibly discouraging [her?] potential partners?
Mutikluti answered: Piia and Priit from Saaremaa... both have the transmitters and they have 3 chicks this year....I think that this is not a problem.

Brit answered Juta's question about White Stork Prinzeßchen - "Was there webcam too on the nest?":
No there wasn´t because she lived in different nests with different partners. The most interesting liaison was together with Jonas who was also sendered. BUT.... was migrating eastwards and down to S-Africa (every year, one way 12 000 km!!!) and Jonas was migrating westwards and usually spent the winter on a rubbish tip in Spain. That meant that Jonas came back very early and Prinzeßchen extremely late. The first years Jonas waited, but then he took another storklady in his nest until....Prinzeßchen came back. And this little storklady, Prinzeßchen, was a fighter! Eggs flew and baby storks would have flown out of the nest if the peoples from the Storchenhof in Loburg wouldn´t have rescued them before! Thanks to the sender we knew very well were Prinzeßchen was and what time she was to be expected..... Dramatic times that were!

In the evening Mutikluti posted a picture and wrote:
Three very tired storklets after stranger's visit who likes climb up the tree and who took off their brother... they brought him back but it was so terrible and nerve-racking... after this all night falled down rain and they were so wet... It is so good to sleep now ... all three together...
Renandeli added:
Now they all are in calm, they breathe in same frequency. I don't know what to think, but Mr Big and Miss Little were both touching with soft beak Mr Mid's head some times. Mr Mid is in calm, not any uneasyness.

Yarko wrote:
It's totally quiet in the nest. Trouble again - one night it seems too noisy, another night too quiet. WE NEED NIGHTCAM
You know what - we all must demand new PCs from some European bla-bla- bla enviromental commitee-whatever they are.
After all we do a very valuable scientific research here, without sleeping, eating or having any personal life - pure birdwatching 24/7.

There was an article about the transmitter in "Postimees", it said that 1 transmitter costs 4000 dollars (2511 euros).
http://tartu.postimees.ee/170708/tartu_ ... 339827.php

Juta's Summary

Bociany started the day at 6.27 with extremely beautiful pictures.
Then Mutikluti and Bociany started with jumping exercises. Ups! Not they, storks were who exercised in jumping.
Next Martin was uncomfortable that Miss Little was staring at him so early in the morning. And he started today´s discussion about dogs.
Next topics:
members real names,
very possible that almost all Estonians know each other, or at least know somebody, who knows somebody, who....,
about transmitters-sketch, pictures
Urmas, also known as Santa Fisherman came this time without fishes, but with information about transmitter and how it was attached to stork.
Leaches in stork´s throat!!!
Small hope to night vision cam
Interesting Conversation:
Lucy:Urmas: Tell me, please, (theoretically) if it would appear that Mr. Mid is not Mr. but Miss Mid – whether in future the sticking up antenna does not disturb copulation, possibly discouraging [her?] potential partners?
Mutikluti:Piia and Priit from Saaremaa... both have the transmitters and they have 3 chicks this year....I think that this is not problem
Britt told interesting story about white stork Prinzeßchen
Then there were something about pellets and vomiting
And finally it was BEAUTIFUL day!
a storkaholic

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”