Site Admin

Re: Summary of the 2008 Nesting Season

Post by juta »

Summary

5.14 it´s raining, very wet
~7.30 Mr. Big left - nobody saw
9.28 Mr. Big returned
12.15 Wet, no food
We have new member upn from Moscow who was until now "observing both the storklets and the observers". Welcome!
Urmas was seen on forum!
21.00 Still wet, no food
CavingtonCat:Well, hmmmmm...Our storklets don't have food, don't have sunshine, but, hey! They DO have each other, so life is good
Yarko: if we ALL close our eyes and repeat all at the same time "TOMORROW WON`T RAIN ALL DAY" - then it wont!!!
it's the power of wishful thinking
And all storkaholics did it!
And know what?
"TOMORROW DID`T RAIN ALL DAY"

Summary

It seems that Mr. Big is hopefully on it´s way to the south
5.40 Mr.Mid left the nest
6.18 Miss Little left the nest
Macko: http://www.indavideo.hu/video/A_golyak_elszalltak
Storkaholics are in panic - is it over now? Have they left for good?
11.16 For making emty nest´s pain easier Jo Uk anounced that she is going to visit Tallinn. Welcome!
Yarko was crying: no storks in the nest, no storkaholics in forum...nothing....
life is hard!
16.51 one small bird visited emty nest, mutikluti named it "replacement bird"
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... &mode=view
17.02 DONNA!!!!
Soon after mr. Mid arrived for the dinner
Unbelievable! Unprecedented - there is leftovers from the dinner.
19.15 Miss little arrived and got what left from dinner
Oh, storkaholics are so-o-o happy!
But Renandeli is not happy, he lost her computer and droped in from the library. What a tragegy for her and for us, I personaly so enjoy her posts.
Frankjr finished this day with great picture:
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... p?id=17955
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 396

6th August 2008

5:16 am
After yesterday's incantation for no rain today - Vaino says "there's no rain this Morning!!"
The storks are stretching their wings - getting ready to fly. Let's hope they catch some frogs!
Where do Donna and Padis spend their nights? I bet, when it rains, they stay under a spruce tree, good and dry.

5:26 - Mr Big is away already followed by Mr Mid leaving Miss Little wondering where everyone went! But then Mr Mid arrives in a blur!

Juta arrived - and nervously admitted that it is not raining - in fact - she whispers - there is sunshine!!
Mr Mid takes another flight out - but Miss Little hasn't moved - causing some concern!
Mr Big returned and Mid could be seen and heard flying nearby!
08:43 - Mr Mid paid a flying visit to the nest! And finally Miss Little flies - to everyone's relief - possibly her second flight today!!
Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

P397
6th August (part two)

Yarko finds a new reason to worry - where is Martin!!!

Miss Little has been away for an hour and 4mins - and arrives back very tired! She has another excursion later and then - at last - Dona brings in some frogs!! Big was away so Mid and Little ate them!
Mutikluti is now wondering where Padis has gone - he seems to be gone a long time!
So Yarko posts a Wanted notice!!

WANTED!!!
1. Padis
2. Martin
3. Renandeli
and Juta wants their "WANTED" pictures, please

Urmas posted - Mr Mid returned 13.08
Some other bird? disturbed them from camera direction, afterwards buzzard-like bird flew to the rotten tree and after some seconds away.
Don't know how long Mr B is already away from nest?

JoUK reminded him that Big has been gone since before 05:10

Renandeli then reports a tragedy - her computer is broken!!! - she is worried about all the pictures she has taken with fraps! - JoUK replied - Renandeli, how awful for you. We miss you too. You are on the Wanted list, along with Padis and martin!

Yarko posted - this is too much!
it's what they say about children - older children, bigger troubles.
when storklets were small, everything was nice and comfy. sleep-food-sleep-food.but now. sometimes we must worry about NOT flying, sometimes about TOO LONG flight, ohh...it's hard to be a storkaholic.
Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 398

6th August (Part three)

At 14:34 Miss Little flew again - returning in 20mins - and later Bairbre posts a scap of Little and Mid resting after their flights!
Still no Big - or Padis!!
And still no Martin!! - Yarko posts an ammended Wanted Notice - for Mr Big and Padis and Martin this time!
At Last - Mutikluti spots Martin's name - Tere, Martin!!
He has been off on a fishing trip!!
Martin says - Yes as usually with my luck in life, i missed Miss Little's first flight by 10 minutes , and spent all the days thinking has she flown or not , but i´m glad she did it
Bairbre got a shock - she had to go and do something and when she got back - the nest was EMPTY!!
But then she scapped Mr mid returning! - Followed by Miss Little!
Soon a parent arrived with food at 18:20 - Looks like Donna! - Except that Bairbre thinks there is a ring on the leg - which makes it Padis! :D
No - after further cropping of the Picture - it is Donna!!
Argo then posts a handy pictorial review of the day - at http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 26#p355626

The evening light is now shining on the nest - but where is Mr Big - he hasn't been seen since the morning! Argo thinks that Mr Big is too big for the nest and understands that it is time to explore and get his own food!
Continued
Page 400 !!!
Only 38 pages more to meet Martin's prediction! Does anyone still think he was crazy???

In spite of being MIA - Renandeli manages to post from the library!! - and is able to confirm that Mr Big has been absent since around 09:30

Time for goodnights to each other!

Renandeli said that she misses Mr Big and would like to see him again!
To which Yarko replied - oh, yes, isn't life complicated - at first we beg them to fly, then we beg them to return to the nest...
i must admit, that it would make me happy to see Mr. Big again, even once. It isn't easy to let him go...

Tasane adds - You're so right, Yarko, people are never satisfied...
I didn't see Mr. Big today at all and I already miss him... The first night with only two storklets in the nest...

Page 401
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 402

7th August 2008

Vaino arrives at the early hour of 04:45 - This is real early, but Mr Big is still missing. Hope he found a girlfriend and some food !
Who is going to disappear next -for good ?

At 05:40 Bairbre saw Mr Mid fly off - but no sign of Mr Big! And now Miss Little is all alone in the early morning light!!
Juta came in to confirm that there is only one now - and also it isn't raining today, either!

Our latest member, unp, noted Miss Little's departure at 06:18. Bisky hopes they all have the courtesy to return to say a formal goodbye!!
It was an empty nest by the time Mutikluta arrived - and Macko50 said - Good morning Stork-Friends !
Early morning the nest became empty. At first Mr Mid, and half an our later Miss Little (Pumpika) left the nest. Maybe the last video of them : HERE

Now Martin arrives to an empty nest: "Good morning!"
It is very strange to find an empty nest, when turning the nest cam on . Sad to know that the nest life as we know it, is coming to an and . I wanted to say something comforting, but can't find the correct words right now .Everything is happening so fast, i just got back yesterday and already Padis and Mr. Big have gone...But the bright side is that, they must feel strong and confident enough to start living for themselves and that makes me happy

But don't think that is the end of posting here - as Juta said: - We will talk pages and pages how sad we are and then fall in memories...
And Yarko pointed out - of course! - when the storklets are gone, we need support and consolation...and from where we can get it? who understands us? only other storkaholics

Then JoUK posts exciting News - she is coming over to Tallinn for the weekend!! Please arrange good weather!! :D

Much Later Yarko pops in to say: - no storks in the nest, no storkaholics in forum...nothing.... life is hard! - And Janner asks: - The nest is empty - is this allowed? - and Bocianny posts: - 400 pages, 10,000 posts ...
and NO STORKS! (I know they have to leave, but I am not ready yet )

Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

7th August (Part Two)

Then - at 16:00 Mutikluti posts that Donna is back - followed closely by Mr Mid!
Just look at the size of the frog there!
Mr Mid dines alone - even though he called the others!
Yarko says: - An unbelievable sight! I think Mr Mid catched something by himself, too, and he's full. that's why he just looks these huge frogs...
oh, but it's so good to see one of them again! I'd like to see miss L too, just one more time...

Bairbre notices that Mr. Mid is craning his neck and making that "clock, clock, clock" sound. Could he sense one of the others nearby, or maybe calling them to finish the frogs???

Martin arrives and posts: - I was away for few hours, thank you for the updates ,good to know that Donna is still around, glad to see Mr. Mid back, i don´t dare to take my eyes off him, cause it well might be the last time to see him , i guess Miss Little is around too, no way she could leave yet, i think that they are foraging around the nest, it is absolutely useless to stay on that nest and starve, when food is all around them.

Then finally - Miss Little arrives - Yarko posts: - MISS L!! MISS L!!! Oh i'm so happy!!!
oh, and look at Mr Mid - he looks happy too, stretches and makes sounds etc!

Miss Little made short work of cleaning up the remaining food - she must have been hungry! - and she has that tired, droopy look to her wings!
Everyone is agreed that Mr Mid left those frogs especially for his sister.

Evening twilight finds the two storklets still on the nest, together!
But JoUK must finish packing for her trip to Tallinn tomorrow - in spite of Argo trying to persuade her to go to Tartu - a much nicer city - he says :D

Sleep Well all storkaholics!

Page 406
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 406

8th August 2008

Bairbre starts the day with - 0500 and Miss Little and Mr. Mid are waking to a new day. It sounds like it is raining and their feathers look wet.
5mins later and Mr Mid has heard something - his neck is stretched up trying to see!

05:23 and Vaino reports: - Opening Day of Olympics! Mr Mid and Miss Little are still here - in deep thoughts - lets hope their day turns out to be a good one and that Donna will visit them again !!!
unp reports that Mid left at 06:19 - followed by Little at 06:39!
Mutikluti turns up in time to provide scaps of that moment - and the resultant empty nest!!
Juta confirms that it is indeed raining!

And Macko posts a video of the morning activity so far - Good morning Stork-Friends !
Here is the morning video. If you see, you can hear a big shot before Miss Little left. It was really near the nest.
http://www.indavideo.hu/video/Reggel_20080808

Mutikluti posted an intriguing scap of them both on the nest at 08:08:08 on 2008.08.08 - Mystical day and mystical time....

Macko then posts another video - of them coming back!
http://www.indavideo.hu/video/Visszajottek

Martin points out that there are 30 pages remaining!!!

There has been some concern that Mr Mid is uncomfortable with the back pack!!
Several members go to find their scaps showing the pack - and the general consensus was - He is OK!! - "All looks fine, the horisontal antenna lies on the centre of the back..."
Meanwhile - the Sun comes out and Miss Little holds her wings out to dry!!

Then JoUK posts - This may be my last screen cap until next week. Stay safe, storks. I don't know if you will be here when I get home again! Thank you for your company all these weeks. Live long. Live well. May your gods go with you!

Many of our Estonia members hold out the welcome mat for her!
Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 408/409

8th August (Part two)

Mutikluti captures a picture of Mr Mid flying off - then Miss Little!!
Then 5 mins later they come back together!
Just in time for Bairbre to arrive - and see them together!!

15:36 - Marting reports that Donna has arrived - with food! It looks like frogs!
But the camera keeps dis-connecting because of a very strong wind across the nest - Martin hasn't seen it so strong at the nest!
Fortunately, Macko has managed to video this feed - and can report that Miss Little got most of the food - she was very fast !!

The weather improves for the rest of the day - and Mid and Little can take their ease - and share some tender moments! Except that twice they hear something and get ready for a food drop - but nothing! Bairbre wonders if Donna is teasing them - to encourage them to fly!!

The wind has picked up again - and Mutikluti wonders if it is even too difficult for Donna to fly! But Martin is thinking how rough it must be on Jo UK's flight to Estonia!

Later Bairbre misses Mid and Little flying off the nest - and so did Martin!! But Maria captured it! And at 17:40 she also captures them returning!

Suddenly it is quiet at the forum - but Bairbre and Martin join forces in monitoring JoUK's departure and arrival!

Late into the evening Mr Mid gets fidgety! Lifting one leg and then the other - as though he can't decide which one to stand on! Miss Little is standing quite still on one leg - but Mid's dance is annoying Miss - as Bairbre noticed! -

Did you notice a few moments ago, Miss Little was standing on one leg in her favourite spot, and Mr. Mid doing his leg dance got too close and disturbed her..... and she gave him a momentary talking too!!!
He is still doing it....maybe he has something sticky on his feet??? And now he has walked up the branch. He is too funny tonight. I have not seen this behaviour before.
But I hope Mr. Mid comes down off that branch before it gets dark....he wouldn't perch there all night would he???

Then Janner and Tasane report that JoUK has landed in Tallinn - at 23:28!
Tasane also posts a Storkaholic Welcome - LINK HERE

Page 412
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 412

9th August 2008

Bociany starts the day with a scap of Little and Mid on the nest at 05:00 - she is rather envious of Jo being able to meet the other storkaholics!

05:42 Vaino asks - What is Miss Little up to? She is up on the left branch, looks like taking off to the left. Mr.Mid is just preening his feathers - too early to fly?!

06:13 Bociany posts that Mid has taken off - closely followed by Little from the branch!
06:48 - Macko brings in a video! (LINK)

MutiKluti Posts some scaps and asks - What happened at night...look!! (arrows point to nothing on the nest)
....and today morning (Arrows point to a branch on the left of the nest) LINK HERE

Mr Mid returns at 08:12 - followed by Miss Little!
Mutikluti notices how clean their legs are!!

Both left the nest: Miss Little at 9.32 Mr.Mid at 9.42 - And back together at 9.43 They are now all time together..

Page 413

Just before Noon Martin arrives and sees the branch there! He says - Good morning
Mutikluti, looks like you were right, they really are going to rip the nest into pieces , this is rather worrying, i hope it stays on the tree. Urmas and the Eagle Club has a lot of renovating to do in the winter time

tasane posts a pic of the storklets in their food eating stance - 13.22 - obviously they saw some stork flying by, they were prepared to take food, but no one came to the nest... But don't worry - Donna turned up at 13:48 with some large frogs!
Tasane noticed that the storklets stayed in the food feeding position even after the food had gone and Donna flew off!
Maybe Donna is still nearby?? Mutikluti thinks that Donna is trying to entice them to come with her and hunt their own frogs!

Meanwhile Renandeli reports that her computer problems are almost sorted - none of her pictures were lost - and she has acquired a new version of Fraps!! :D
15:18 - suddenly Miss Little took off - it happened too quickly to get a picture - then Mid left at 15:31 - But Martin scapped him leaving!
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 24#p356824

Twenty minutes later they are back together - Miss Little flying in over Mid - to a very pretty landing!! HERE
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 414

9th August (Part Two)

Sister and Brother spend the late afternoon together - but suddenly at 19:26 Vaino notices that the nest is empty - where did they go???
Ah - all is well Miss Little is back at 19:31 - is she really going to spend the night alone??
20:19 Hurrah - Mr Mid is also back - looks like a normal night - just two of them!

So now it is time to say good night - a Good August night!!
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 30#p356930

But before we go - Urmas posts to say: Hi!
Was near nest site before it became dark and checked pool on clearing - it was without of fish and some white marks of stork(s) around the pool.
Added some 30 crucial carp there - let see in morning, but probably our storks will find these.
Good night!
PS at least three of tagged BSs (females, including Piia from Saaremaa) are turned to migration during last days... Piias tagged chick didn't show presence outside nest, yet. Raivos chick with tag flies around the nest site. Mr Mids transmitter has power shortage (due tight canopy above nest).

Renandeli says: - What beautiful to do that way by Urmas. It's so comforting to think the two, Mr Mid and Miss Little wake up in the morning, and they fly to eat the carps! Good night stork holics, sleep well, knowing that there will be two young storks fishing carps in the pool in the morning and maybe they wash their toes in the pool too, they are so clean nowadays!

But before we go - Yarko has some Breaking news from North Estonia: observers have spotted unusual activity of local storkaholics what could be the purpose of gathering?
Migration?

Right answer: Jo's visit to Estonia - Photo HERE
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 415

10th August 2008

04:45 - Bociany posts an early morning picture of the two on the nest - and when the light gets brighter, she notices that their feet are very clean!

05:25 - Vaino reports that Mid looks restless - keeps inspecting the edges of the nest!! Looks like he is ready to take off! So Bociany posts pictures showing that he did take off - just as Vaino predicted - closely followed by Little! She points out that it is really quite noisy there - an owl calling and some screechy bird - and adds, Is that a faint stork clatter in the distance??
Renandeli posted a Pic of a lonely autumn leaf that fell in the nest!! HERE

Then at 13:35 Renandeli posts pictures showing Donna's arrival on the nest - followed by Little - and within a second Mid lands!
Donna drops down into the nest to feed them both and flies away!
They both eat slowly today - so they are not really hungry!!
So we have one day at least together with young Black Storks, and with their mother Donna

Renandeli takes this opportunity to say thanks to her friends who drove 300km to her home - just to mend her computer!! :D

Both stay on the nest for a while - it almost looks as though Little is watching us through the cam - and then it starts to rain again!!

Bociany posted - I tuned in around 15:30 - both Mr Mid and Ms L are on the nest. After a while, Mr Mid seemed very restless, and around 16:00 he left the nest - for only a few seconds! - he came back right away.
Right now Ms L is on the branch to the left. Both having been flapping their wings.
16:14 - Mr Mid left the nest again. Ms L still on the branch to the left!
16:42 Mid returned

Donna returned at 18:08 - LINK
And by 18:47 they are both basking in that beautiful, golden Estonia light!

Then the nest is finally in darkness - and Bairbre posted - The nest is now in darkness until late tonight, my time. But I am so happy they were here today. I worried that I would come home to find them gone.

Renandeli posts some pics of the river that was running throught the nest at 15:00 this afternoon - during the rain!!
Click Here
scroll down to see Mid playing in the lake - using the leaf for a yellow submarine! :lol:

But before the day is over - Yarko posts with a photo of the picnic they had with Jo!
Here is the picture of our picnic today with Jo & Urmas!
I'm proud to introduce: from left: tasane, Scott, Mutikluti, Yarko the dog & yarko in front; nice young stork friend Kristina and Martin are back; standing: juta, JO UK
details tomorrow - it's been a long, but wonderful day

Page 417
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 418

11th August 2008

05:17
Bociany started the day off with - Mr Mid flew from the nest just as I tuned in... around 05:17 - MsL was there alone - Ms L did some wing stretches and jumps ...and then MsL soiled her nest
05:46 After some wing stretches Ms L leaves the nest.
05:51 Mr Mid returns - He gets excited when MsL comes back (but there is no food)

05:54 Mr Mid leaves - MS L leaves - comes back - leaves
I GIVE UP! They are coming and going

Renandeli arrives with a tale to tell:
Hullo, good morning! Many thanks for all birthday greetings! I had a very buzy day. And something terrible happened.. I didn't notice what i had done with the new re installed FRAPS-program.. It - not me - had taken more than one thousand pics automatically eysterday!! (<-- The therminology in English for me)Now my birthday festivals with PC are over - workday !!!!!

Martin says - Good morning Nice to see the duo still on the nest...HERE are some pics of Miss Little returning!
Being away from the nest cam for couple of days, Miss Little doesn't seem so little any more , she is catching up in size - And of course...20 pages remaining :D

Juta arrives now - Good late morning all! There are two big storks on the nest, are they really Mr.Mid and Miss Little?
Yarko noticed something - Looks like they thinking about leaving - they don't keep the nest clean any more!!
Martin replied - Do you think that´s the reason why they do that? I was wondering the same thing, but not sure if that is the reason, it could be!

10:11 - Mid returns - closely followed by Little - who greets her brother!
Little then poses for the camera - Mutikluti thinks she is saying - I am big girl now, but ok...Miss Little is nice name for me.... LINK

Martin posts - I would also like to add one picture from the get-together, picture by Urmas Click Here to See it!
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

11th August 2008 (Part two)

Page 419 & 420

Earlier in the day, Renandeli had speculated on the number of Black Storks in Estonia - about 8000? But Arvi answers -Adult black stork population in Estonia is somewhere up to 200 nesting pairs (+ some single storks) - maybe Urmas knows more exact number, and what is the population trendline. So renandeli's big number is wishful thinking!

14:04 Mid returns to the nest - to welcome greetings from Little!

Then Martin posts - I just got an e-mail from Urmas and he wrote that, the black stork Priidu from Saaremaa, was saved thanks to his transmitter. Estonian Eagle Club member Renno Nellis happened to be in Saaremaa and went to investigate, why Priidu's transmitter's signal is coming from the same location for the third day in a row. When he got to the location, where the signal was coming from, he found Priidu from a ditch with a string (used for making hay rolls) tied around his neck. Poor bird was stuck in the ditch for three days. Unfortunately he didn't have his camera with him. So he released Priidu and he flew away, without any major injuries.

Bairbre adds - Martin, thank you so much for sharing this with us. That poor stork, stuck three days, unable to fly and get food. Thank goodness for his transmitter, and Renno who investigated and rescued him!

I do think Miss Little is catching up to her brother in size. This is Mr. Mid closest to the camera and Miss Little in back, and while she is still smaller, not nearly as much as a week or two ago. Urmas' fish pond must be helping her catch up??? Picture Here

Argo asks Urmas - Do you know if the new fish that was put in the pond has been eaten already? - and Martin was able to answer - yes it has!!!! :lol:
Then posts a picture of a very soggy nest after a storm!! HERE - but is able to say it looks like the sun is coming out in the nest forest!

Well - the Storklets are still on the nest but Jo migrated South again - her flight left 4 mins ago!! Martin says - Have a nice flight back home Jo!

Bairbre said - Jo remarked that she felt "Like I am in a fairytale" and every picture of her I have seen she has had a huge smile on her face. I think it is safe to say she enjoyed every minute of her time there. :D

Then - late in the evening - Little started making those movements indicating "Donna coming with Frogs" - They must be hungry, it's evening. Nothing to eat in whole a long day, nothing..

18:38 - Yes Donna - only one Picture but I saw there lots of fat frogs and they disappeared in one second!!

Yarko reckoned that's what storkaholism is about - storkaholic starts to think like: frogs ...mmm....appetizing :D

Then Bairbre says - Wow Look at Mid's wingspan - but I don't see the transmitter - is this Little???? - See For Yourself

Then Janner Announced - One English Storkaholic has landed
Still on the plane - but should be getting her bag soon
And finally Jo was home!!
A very successful migration!
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 425

12th August 2008

05:02 - Vaino says - Mr.M and Miss L. are little sleepy but looks like a great day coming up for storks and fans!!!

Frankjr gets an early morning scap of them - with some great Background lighting! HERE

05:07 - and Bociany arrives with an almost identical scap!! :D
05:23 - Bairbre and Bociany report that Mid and Little flew out of the nest. But Bairbre really must get to bed now!!
Bisky suggests that the North American Branch of the Storkaholics could get together and have their own picnic - but they will have to share the cost of plane tickets for Urmas and his stork! But as Bociany points out - they might as well go to Estonia for the nest meeting and see the magical forest for themselves!

07:21 - Martin says - Mr. Mid on the nest and Miss Little is nowhere to be seen...
07:53 - Mr. Mid has left the nest...no picture of course, it´s morning, i´m not fully awake yet

Page 427
08:00 - Martin gets some scaps of Mid returning! LINK - and then Mid left again at 08:02 - Martin is trying to post the departures as they might be the last!

09:59 Miss Little is back on the nest! :D as spotted by Martin and Mutikluti!
10:06 - Mid also returns

Page 428 - only 10 more pages till Martin's prediction!!

13:02 - Donna arrives - Mutikluti scaps the feeding scrum HERE

Renandeli posts a picture of Little saying "Mother, please, we are still hungry!! LINK

17:30 - the sound of breaking branches is heard by tasane and vaino - What is going - tremendous clatter ! Nobody else in sight.
17:32 - Mutikluti post a pic of Donna delivering frogs!! Miss Little is crafty and covers some frogs with her foot!! LINK

Twenty minutes later Bairbre noticed that there must be someone nearby as the storklets got ready for a feed! But no - no-one there!!
Then Little flew off - followed by Mid!

Continued
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 429
12th August (Part two)

Maria wrote - Jo, you must have had a wonderful weekend with nice storkaholics (and dogs) around.

This is Jo's reply!!

Hullo, Maria - yes, it was a magical experience. If only I could have stayed another day or two, but it was so good to have seen Tallinn, and to go to the forest area and get soaked to the skin by Estonia's magical rain. At least, I suppose that's what it was! I have been as wet as that, just once before in my life.
The storkaholics I met were all such nice people, and I do hope I am able to meet them again, sometime.
Tallinn has a cultured, cared-for, well maintained atmosphere - as though the Estonians like their capital city, are proud of it and intend to keep it that way. I loved it.
I was forced, much against my will, to climb the 115 steps up the tower of the Town Hall. Looking back down and thinking of "how on earth shall I get out of here?" reminded me that a force of gravity exists for a good reason - to help touirists get back down again!!
It all went well in the end.

My visit was such a short one, but it was so intensely satisfying to meet some of the storkaholics whose names I have only read on a forum, until now.
They are all friendly, likeable people and I recommend them all!
I hope that more get-togethers will be possible in the future. At least one a year should be mandatory!! :nod:

18:23 Miss Little returns closely followed by Mid - and they stand there talking to each other!
18:50 they are seen resting together at the nest edge nearest to the cam - most unusual - but sweet!! See it Here

Renandeli records their conversation thus:
Sister, it's getting dark soon...so, I would like to..
Brother, le's not be afraid, dear. Trust in me, I have always defended you, haven't I, remember.. [url=http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 86#p357886]Aaaaawww!![/url]

Later Vaino reports - it's 22:15 and all dark - but a heavy thunderstorm is going and sounds like hail also!
And JoUK says - Can you hear that storm - that deluge? I feel wet and dripping, just to listen to it!
Vaino replies - I can hear it. It's horrible, like stones falling down. Poor storklets, they are wholly defenceless..they have only each others under the bare sky.. The 'nature' gives what it gives, take it..

Renandeli posts a weather map - it doesn't look good!

There is another problem - Martin has caught a cold - but his predictive page is coming up!!
JoUK wants to know
Should we:
a. Wait until page 438, then ask urmas to turn the storks out of the nest?

b. Alter the prediction (easier to do)

Tasane , Bairbre and Yarko vote for altering the prediction!! :D

And so to bed!!
Page 430
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 431

13th August 2008

08:02 - Mutikluti was first in this morning - Good morning dear storkaholics!
It is wet morning, it rains...I am drinking my first coffee just now...Miss Little returns on the nest and as I can understand, she is looking around and waiting for her brother... Picture Here

Liiloo confirms that they were both on the nest last night - and also first thing this morning - but now it's only Little!

And Martin arrives to thank everyone for their good wishes during his cold!!
Sorry to say, but i don't want the prediction to be altered, when i made the 438 pages prediction, i also said it would be final. If we will change the number again, it wouldn´t be predicting anymore . So instead, i want to know how wrong was i . Also i have a feeling that we won´t see Mr. Mid anymore, i guess after such heavy rain, he also had enough, just like Big had. And my guess is that Miss Little will go tomorrow...that makes me sad and happy at the same time.

11:40 - Juta posts a picture of a lonely stork - standing there in the wet! - But Mutikluti arrives with a cheery wave :wave: - to say - Hi, Miss Little! We are with you! - and an hour later she is able to announce that Mid is back
See the greeting HERE - scroll down two posts to see Martin's post of him arriving!

Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 433
13:45
For the second time today the duo think they have seen Donna and get ready for food - but she didn't come!!

14:18 - at last Donna arrives - with some nice fat frogs, says Kuremari!
They didn't take long to eat them as you can see from Martin's post HERE
Mutikluti points out that there were only a few frogs!

16:15 - Bairbre posts a "Soggy green storkland - it is raining so hard you can see the drops dancing in the nest puddle."
See what she means HERE - then scroll down to see Mr Mid playing in the pond again :D

Page 435

17:05 - Renandeli posts a picture of even wetter storklets on an even soggier nest! Look Here if you dare!!
According to JoUK - Mr Mid is saying - My feet! My feet! I have lost my feet! Can you see them anwhere?

19:26 - Mutikluti manages to catch Mr Mid shaking off the rain! and then Miss Little! Link - and soon she says that the rain seems to have stopped - she can see some blue sky - but it means they only got frogs twice today!!

21:08 - Bairbre posts a Picture of a drying nest and the beautiful Golden Light - she never gets tired of it!!
Then Mr Mid wanders over to the cam - so a few posts down JoUK posts a close up of Mid!!

PAGE 438

Martin says - Oh well, PAGE 438, so my prediction has now officially failed . And i would also like to announce, that i won´t make another prediction ever again, simply because i don´t have the necessary skills

But Bisky points out - Actually, if we were to go back and disregard all the posts that didn't specifically mention Miss Little and Mr. Mid, we'd have many free pages to fill the 438 prediction. So I think Martin's prediction could still be valid.

By the way, I have been fascinated today by all the various discussions--cities vs. villages, zoos, Estonian vs. English. This is really an educated group!

So it's time for everyone to say goodnight - and suddenly it is Page 440! :offtobed:
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 441

14th August 2008

05:19 - Bisky reports that both took off together and Vaino adds that Miss Little was first!! Picture sequence HERE

05:39 - Mr Mid is back! - and left again at 05:43 - but not before Bociany noticed his clean feet!

Page 442

Martin posts some news of how the tagged chicks of Priidu and Raivo are faring
http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/1200
Then he thanks the SNAB - (Storkaholics North American Branch) - for their early morning updates - Those pictures of them taking off could be the last - but there's still a long day ahead!!

07:51 Mr Mid returned - spotted and scapped by Martin and Mutikluti!!

08:08 - Martin posts some Pictures showing how flexible is the stork neck for preening!!

08:17 - Mutikluti says - Mr.Mid is waiting on the border of the nest for sister and don't lost the time, feathers must be clean and dry...

08:29 and Bociany reports Mr Mid still alone - still preening

08:54 and Mutikluti reports Miss Little's return - to a merry greeting from Mid!! Nice series of scaps HERE - they look so happy together..... I think they will leave us together!

Continued
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Page 443
14th August (Part two)

12:12 - Suddenly JoUK posts - Aaaaakkkk. They have gone! - and to prove it - a picture of an empty nest!
Kuremari posts - UUUUU, I was outdoors with my dog only for a short time and now they are gone. Anybody saw them leaving ????

Martin arrives to save the day!! - Yes i did, but was occupied at the moment no pictures, sorry. 12:07 Mr. Mid left the nest, returned at the same minute and 12:08 few seconds after he had returned, Miss Little decided to go and Mid automatically followed her

12:35 - Kuremari says - Thank you Martin, its good you fixed the time. The possibility they might not return is quite big and its comforting to know that at least somebody waved :wave: them good bye.
Of course i hope a bit they return but still... ...

Page 444

Then finally at 15:55 Donna arrived - Mutikluti scapped her on the nest!

Renandeli thinks Donna is looking for them!!
And Bairbre got back from walking the dog in time to see Donna on the nest!

16:01 - Donna Flew away - captured by Mutikluti

Page 445
Martin posted -
Good evening!

Breaking News I was just talking to Urmas and he said that the duo has most likely started their migration to south. Estonian Eagle Club member Kristo is following the storklets and keeping his eye on them(don´t ask how) and as i understood they are flying together. The storklets have reached Kaarepera village (approximately 30 km from the nest site), which is near Tartu. So their returning back to the nest is very unlikely Also added the map where you can see the travelled distance
Map Here
I just went back one page to update myself and discovered that Donna visited the nest in the meanwhile(thank you for recording the event) , that is kind of sad, i guess she will come to the nest one more time, to make sure they really have left, so she could be on her way too...This really is the beginning of the end, :cry: i can feel the sadness taking over. Everytime we see them flyng out, we always hope to see them one more time, just that last time, to be able to say the silent good bye to them, but so far they have returned and immediately we discard the thought and are glad to see them again. But now when we are facing the truth, that this is it, not possible to say good bye anymore, it leaves a very empty feeling inside...i guess it takes some time to realize what we have actually lost...

Scroll down from HERE - to see everyone's reactions

Page 445
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/1233

The storks' nest is pleasantly empty
Submitted by Kotkaklubi on 15 August 2008 - 9:46pm
Text by Urmas and Bairbre
Translation by Scott Diel

Thursday, the 14th of August, Mr. Middle and Miss Little flew about 20 kilometers into the heavens in an Eastern direction and remained some tens of kilometers from the nest near the town of Kaarepere. What stopped them were rain clouds and the rain which came with them. The stork chicks' departure was followed by eagleman Kristo, Mr. Middle's backpack transmitter enabling the tracking. Kristo promised to begin searching for the signal again in the morning.

Around four o'clock Donna visited the nest!

Now the nest will likely remain empty, and now seems the right time to publish Canadian stork-watcher Baibre's story, which touches on many facets of a stork-watcher's experience. Baibre is one of the Hancock Forum's regular contributors.

August 13, 2008

As for our thread, if you think of the scope of our members from Estonia, Hungary, Finland, Poland, England, Canada, The United States and Australia (hope I haven't missed one), and all the observations, pictures and videos we have amassed, it is truly amazing and can/will be used in understanding and protecting these beautiful birds. With our different time zones the nest is being watched nearly 24 hours a day, and so brought these beautiful birds to a worldwide audience!
But also, we have learned so much about each other, our countries, customs, ideas and respected them. We have discovered differences yes, but also how much we are all alike. It has truly been an international experience which I believe has enriched us all.
We have also shared fun things, even silly things, made each other laugh... and yes, the drama of the hatchings, sadness and shared tears - we have become friends. And neither language nor distance has prevented that. It is truly an amazing achievement!
It will be sad when our two remaining storks leave us, but somehow I believe we will stay together, here, remembering, and waiting for next year's experience
Bairbre
Ontario,Kanada

Stork Travels Diary
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/1686

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”