Pictures and Information about Storks

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Liis

Re: Pictures and Information about Storks

Post by Liis »

bociany wrote: I have never seen a picture of such a nest .... thank you, asteria :2thumbsup:

Perhaps those storks are overachievers? Or they are covering up an old nest that belong to another pair of storks?
Magpies do it too. Not all, just some. Or in some nest positions. I think I have seen up to maybe 4 "storeys". It doesn't become a skyscraper, the lower levels get compressed. They go on building on top of last year's nest, not 2 new levels at once .
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Post subject: Re: Black Stork TracksPosted: October 29th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Location: Alsace, France Are White Storks allowed here ? If so see the site for satellite tracking of WS
by a combined effort of the Swiss and Alsace-Lorraine( APRECIAL.com).
This is the story of MAX :
http://www.fr.ch/mhn/cigognes/Max.htm
(you can translate -- choose En/Deutch/French )
{Maybe this is going to work ?
I got expert advice from overseas... a foremost computer expert in all fields of computing etc;etc;}
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bociany,er, Nancy.. I DID IT . :headroll:
Aren't I CLEVER,after all. :peek:
:shake:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Carmel Macdoum, you are a genius!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :faint:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote:Carmel Macdoum, you are a genius!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :faint:
Yes amen't I ?
:rotf:
Well, I learn't something else today.!!
p.s Why has the previous post not been deleted ? I tried to cancel and no-go ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

removed
while I was fiddling Carmel succeeded ;-)

but I think it is fine to have it in two places -- where we were talking and then here -- It is like cross filing.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Many thanks to Alice... :bow:
The question has been fixed definately and for all time.!! :rolleyes: :rotf:
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

alice44 wrote:removed
while I was fiddling Carmel succeeded ;-)

but I think it is fine to have it in two places -- where we were talking and then here -- It is like cross filing.
yes, I like cross- filing - we are creating a web

good work, Carmel and alice :2thumbsup:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

During the "dead season" in the European and North American bird's cameras I like to watch a South African website http://www.africam.com/wildlife/index.php , which offers a streaming view from four cameras located in Kruger National Park in South Africa.

My favorite is the first of them – Nkorho Pan - where, in addition to various species of large and small African mammals coming to drink to waterhole, quite often you can meet more or less exotic birds.

Today, I was lucky because I saw the largest representative of a stork family - Saddle-billed Stork (Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis), which was wading and feeding in the waterhole for more than one and half an hour. :shock: :loveshower:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Information about the Saddle-billed Stork can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle-billed_Stork

Maybe one day some wintering White or Black Stork will visit this place? :rolleyes:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Lucy, that was a spectacular sighting, thank you :2thumbsup:

The African waterhole cameras are wonderful to watch. I have seen Yellow Billed Storks at Pete's Pond (and sometimes White Storks there as well), but never the Saddle-Billed Stork.

A few more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25868727@N ... 573669715/
Liis

Post by Liis »

This topic is really about storks, but maybe Tom the crane can be made honorary member.
The story of Tom's journey almost to Ethiopia, from Eesti Päevaleht:
Crane Tom died in Sudan on his migration
http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/483391
Eesti Päevaleht 25. november 2009 08:00
Author: Ulvar Käärt
PhOTO: Marko Mumm
A thousand kilometres still left to go to wintering area in Ethiopia when brave young crane died.
Crane Tom, equipped with a satellite transmitter, and a celebrity by being the first crane from the North for whom we had evidence that he reached the African mainland, lost his life in the deserts in northern Sudan.
According to crane researcher Aivar Leito, who has followed the travel of our crane - hatched in Lootvina in Põlvamaa - that kept ornithologists from Estonia as well as other European countries in suspense, the strength of the bird, hatched this spring, ebbed out already on November 12. Or just one day after data from the 105-gram transmission device on his back had confirmed that he had reached Egypt, and so by this had written his name into the history of European bird studies.
530 kilometres per day
Aivar Leito believes that for Tom who was migrating together with his parents the too fast flying speed of the group became fateful. They started to pick up speed after they had grieved some time for Tom’s sister Juta who died in Byelorussia. „The 1600 km long route from Byelorussia to central Turkey was made in only three days. That makes a migration stretch of nearly 530 kilometres per day“, Aivar Leito says. "Since the migrating speed of cranes is about 50 kilometres per hour in favourable circumstances, they must have been flying for ten hours a day, or practically the whole daylight time “.
The crane family arrived in five days from the southern part of Turkey to Sudan, about 1900 kilometres further away. On this part of the migration the speed had decreased somewhat, but obviously not enough for the young crane: every day they flew on average 370 kilometres, and every day they were in flight for seven hours in a stretch.
So the 3700 kilometres from Byelorussia to Sudan were literally made "as a bird flies“ , in only thirteen days. "From this it is wholly understandable that a route like this didn’t suit Tom’s strength to the end,” Aivar Leito notes, also remarking that there were about a thousand kilometres left to fly to the large wintering area for cranes in Ethiopia.
"Most probably the family became pressed for time on the migration because of the death of the first young bird in Byelorussia, and probably the parents did all to reach the wintering area on time. Sadly, this also cost the life of the second young bird, and only the parents without their young arrived“, Aivar Leito said.
Aivar Leito believes that this nearly 6000 km long, difficult journey is one of the main causes for our cranes to go mainly to Spain and the coasts of the Mediterranean for winter, and not to Ethiopia. "But obviously the promised land of Ethiopia is engraved in the memory of some cranes, and they strive to go there regardless of all difficulties“, he thinks

Transmitter will be fetched
Crane Tom lost his life near the place where some years ago the road of osprey Teele ended. The nearest town is nearly 700 km away from there.
In the next few days it will be clear if our birdmen will go to search for Tom and his transmitter, costing 50 000 Estonian Krooni, or if their Sudanese colleagues will do it.
Tom is the tenth Estonian crane who has been provided with a transmitter while they were waiting to go on their migration flight to Africa.
The great wintering area for cranes in central Ethiopia has been known since a long time. Usually nearly 50 000 cranes spend the winter there, gathering there mostly from the Russian plains.
Thanks to the precisely recorded migration route of Tom it has now been confirmed that this part of the world isn’t unknown for our cranes from the North either.
Among our cranes the most popular wintering place is Spain, only a small part of our cranes fly to Ethiopia.
Before Tom on the route to south went a Finnish crane who was equipped with a transmitter in Finland, and who also kept a direction towards Egypt, but the last signals from this bird came in the beginning of November from Crimea. Very probably it met the same fate as Juta.
The first cranes were provided with transmitters by our bird scientists, working with German colleagues, in the beginning of 2000. One of them died in the Ukraine, the other in Turkey.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:cry:
It is so sad!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

That is a sad story indeed. Poor crane,doing what nature has inscribed n his genes. Too far,too fast. :puzzled: :cry:
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I feel very sad! :cry:
Olga

Post by Olga »

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

It's really very sad ... especially if you think that more and more birds die during their migration :cry:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

bociany wrote:I have seen Yellow Billed Storks at Pete's Pond (and sometimes White Storks there as well), but never the Saddle-Billed Stork.
A few more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25868727@N ... 573669715/
Bociany, your pictures of Yellow Billed Stork are very beautiful. :2thumbsup:
Unfortunately, I can't get Pete's Pond cam picture. :puzzled:

On November 15, I captured a few pics of Marabou Stork at "djuma1" camera, but they are not good. It was late afternoon and soon it started to rain. Moreover, the camera image wasn't clear.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/permalien/arti ... ognes.html
This is the best I can do to send this info. about Emilie the doyen of the stork family in France received a GPS to follow her and study her life-style.
This is for her 30th year.!!! Born 14 June 1978. :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

THIRTY YEARS! :faint:
What a grand old lady!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

macdoum, I can reach the page, but the article does not appear :sad:

then I disabled "Ad Block" and voila! there she is!

thanks!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”