Pictures and Information about Storks

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
macdoum

Re: Pictures and Information about Storks

Post by macdoum »

Here is another,unexpected risk for Storks... confounding elastics with worms. :shock:
http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/article/250119 ... brics.html
Google is very kind sometimes at translating from french. :mrgreen:
(I can come back and translate if necessary. :whistling: )
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Why are there so many rubber bands laying about?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:Why are there so many rubber bands laying about?
I have no idea Alice. I use them for closing packets for the freezer,then I rince and re-use. If broken they do go in the rubbish-bin. Here the refuse collected goes into a huge incinerator thing. Most of our waste is sorted by;plastics,papers,tin cans and clothing,garden waste old metals etc; These all go into seperate containers and are re-cycled.
The grass-cuttings and vegetable waste go into a big composter in the garden.
The stuff we throw into the rubbish bin is collected and goes to the incinerator. It usually is not thet much.
Its a mystery why there are so many lying around ? I don't think there are any rubbish waste lying around on the ground. As far as I know there are NO landfills left in Alsace. :puzzled: Unless there is a HUGE office-complex around that area ? :dunno:
Now,after all that laius, its time :sleep: :hi: Have a good Christmas. :nod:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Elastic bands?
I have discovered how to find an elastic band if I need one - follow a postman! Their bundles of letters are held together with elastic bands and there are usually 3 or 4 on the ground after the postman has made his deliveries.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I wonder if the rubber bands (I thought in British English it was elastic bands) are from something large scale in Alsace or from something more more common and mundane like the postman -- here newspapers often have rubber bands. Anyhow I will be more conscious about dealing with any I see.

We have no incendiaries in Oregon (well I think they are burning nerve gas) and not many in the US -- it is all landfills. Given that I suspect only 1 in 3 people or less don't toss their used batteries in the garbage, even though it is illegal, it is probably a good thing. We do compost and recycle a fair bit. In Corvallis 1/2 the garbage stream is compost or recycling (48-9% I think-- the goal is 50%). My compost goes in the back garden but the garbage company runs a big compost.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Sometimes our use of English is easily interchangeable, and sometime it isn't. I hadn't thought of a US/UK difference in elastic vs rubber bands!!

I think you have mail men where we have postmen :laugh: . Any other differences?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote:Sometimes our use of English is easily interchangeable, and sometime it isn't. I hadn't thought of a US/UK difference in elastic vs rubber bands!!

I think you have mail men where we have postmen :laugh: . Any other differences?
Here it's Le Facteur,or more grandly 'Le Préposé de la poste' !!! :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Now, where to post this. :puzzled:
It is about a one-legged stork in Germany. It has a new leg now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8436864.stm
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:Now, where to post this. :puzzled:
It is about a one-legged stork in Germany. It has a new leg now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8436864.stm
That is quite the story.
Liis

Post by Liis »

About Tom the crane, who lost his life in Sudan on the way to Ethiopia: was the transmitter recovered and is anything more known about what happened?
(yes it is stork's topic, but maybe I can plead ignorance, stork and crane is basically the same word in Estonian: kurg)
Liis

Post by Liis »

-31.5 C is this winter's cold record (so far) in Estonia, noted early this morning at Jõgeva, not very far from the black stork nest.
That is COLD.
The nettles and and other greenery in the nest would maybe not have survived ...
asteria

Post by asteria »

The nettles did not survive indeed not because of frosts but because it was removed from the nest yet in autumn. Grass successfully survived in the box from my balcony after the coldest 2005/2006 winter when we had -32 in Moscow, so it will be OK I think.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Liis

Post by Liis »

asteria wrote:The nettles did not survive indeed not because of frosts but because it was removed from the nest yet in autumn. Grass successfully survived in the box from my balcony after the coldest 2005/2006 winter when we had -32 in Moscow, so it will be OK I think.
Yes, the storks have a very careful and orderly caretaker/gardener, haven't they? :innocent: .
A white stork stands in its nest, looking at a big, flowering plant in the nest - just like the pics Bociany had in autumn - in Arne Ader's and Urmas Tartes' new book on nature photography (page 17, photo no. 5 - sorry, no scanner, and there is copyright anyway).
It may be chamomile (mayweed), it may be scentless mayweed (kesalill, Tripleurospermum perforatum/ Matricaria inodora), and it is really huge. The photo is probably made by Arne Ader, but i am not sure.
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Liis wrote:-31.5 C is this winter's cold record (so far) in Estonia, noted early this morning at Jõgeva, not very far from the black stork nest.
That is COLD.
The nettles and and other greenery in the nest would maybe not have survived ...
same place, new record - this night at Jõgeva -32,4C prrrr.....
i wish it was spring already :D
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Liis

Post by Liis »

Kuremari wrote:same place, new record - this night at Jõgeva -32,4C prrrr.....
i wish it was spring already :D
Some people have it already: snowdrops, crocuses, unknown shrubs, green lawns in topic Seasons. And the storks probably have nearer +30 than -30 now.
-48.8C is Swedish record (Nattavaara, 1940). What is the Estonian one?
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Estonian cold record is also from 1940, January 17th -43,5C
i can`t even imagine what that would feel?! :shock:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

here is one extraordinary story about White stork called Tilda.
http://www.virumaateataja.ee/?id=216276

He does not fly to South for 7 years already.This stork was in our news in 2003, this was the first winter he spent here.
In spring, his mate returns from South, they have normal family life, rise chicks and when autumn comes, his family leaves and he stays :puzzled:
One elderly lady(84) feeds him with Baltic herring :rolleyes:

Liis

Post by Liis »

News from Urmas about black storks' winter life http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/6437. Three of them are in Ethiopia.

Tilda should maybe have joined them this winter at least? - see Kuremari's post above. How does she manage not to get her feet damaged by cold :shock: ?
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Thanks for translation Liis! :wave:
someone please refresh my memory...did Toomas (the stranger stork in Padis` nest) get the transmitter too, i kind of remember he did?!
what about him, any news?? oh, i am blind :blush: he is nicely on the map! :headroll:

about Tilda the White stork, he has not left, this interview with the old Lady and Tilda was taken just a couple of days before...
asteria

Post by asteria »

Somehow nothing was said about four storks: Kaku, Pirsu, Priidu and Toomas.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”