Pictures and Information about Storks

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Bleggi

Re: Pictures and Information about Storks

Post by Bleggi »

Padis suddenly made a kind of noise I have never heard before and picked on the ground around. After that he is standing now - ready with cleaning each of his feathers. Perhaps he is still waiting for a girl - poor Padis.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

suddenly he took off - on the picture you see only a blue ? :wave:
"Bye, bye - Padis. See you...."
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

How I was told earlier my pictures of Padis walked in the wrong way in the sides before. I don't know at all, how it could happen - I saw this sides never until one found the pictures here.

And here I also found the story of the blue German stork - nobody knew where came the colour from.
In our newspaper from Saturday, 26.06.2010 there is a report with the solution:
The stork must have taken a bath in a puddle of a landfill of industry (manufacture).
One found a feather near the nest and RBB (Radio Berlin Brandenburg) gave an order to the Land Office of Criminal Investigation Eberswalde to analyse it three weaks ago.
The colour is used worldwide.
It is supposed that next year when the stork is coming back to Germany he will appear in white colour again.

I hope you will understand what I translated. It will not be correct but tell what can happen in the world.
Regards from Bleggi
visitor

Post by visitor »

Bleggi wrote: And here I also found the story of the blue German stork - nobody knew where came the colour from.
In our newspaper from Saturday, 26.06.2010 there is a report with the solution:
The stork must have taken a bath in a puddle of a landfill of industry (manufacture).
One found a feather near the nest and RBB (Radio Berlin Brandenburg) gave an order to the Land Office of Criminal Investigation Eberswalde to analyse it three weaks ago.
The colour is used worldwide.
It is supposed that next year when the stork is coming back to Germany he will appear in white colour again.

I hope you will understand what I translated. It will not be correct but tell what can happen in the world.
Regards from Bleggi
Thank you for the info, Bleggi! And very well done, RBB. I'm glad the mystery is solved.

Isn't this colour poisonous? I wonder how many blue birds are flying around already? It's quite unlikely that this stork has been the only one taking a bath in the puddle. :puzzled:

I hope everything is OK with the family and chicks. Any news?
a storkaholic
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

visitor wrote: I hope everything is OK with the family and chicks. Any news?
Hello visitor: The family is okay. Nobody knows how many chicks are in the nest but they guess three little ones.
When I hear news about them I will let you know it here at once. I am also interested in the news.
In the meantime the little village made much money with the blue stork. There are many things to buy and the latest news is a storybook for children. It is written only in German language: "Der blaue Storch" (the blue stork).
Regards from Bleggi
visitor

Post by visitor »

Bleggi wrote: Hello visitor: The family is okay. Nobody knows how many chicks are in the nest but they guess three little ones.
When I hear news about them I will let you know it here at once. I am also interested in the news.
In the meantime the little village made much money with the blue stork. There are many things to buy and the latest news is a storybook for children. It is written only in German language: "Der blaue Storch" (the blue stork).
Regards from Bleggi
Thank you, Bleggi!
a storkaholic
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

asteria wrote:What's new about tagged storks? What are they doing now?
I have found (forgot before :blush: ) the link for following the tagged storks (argos) here;
http://www.aprecial.com/actualite.html

edit; This link does not get far..it is unfortunately long out of date. :slap:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

In compensation I post a link to tt his photograph of a beautiful Black Stork taken by a photographer from Alsace but no info about where if ringed or not.. :puzzled:
http://www.fotocommunity.fr/pc/pc/pcat/ ... y/16408898

And this short video of the flight of the Black Stork seen in the forests of the Ardennes (north between Fance and Belgium) ;
http://ma-tvideo.france3.fr/video/iLyROoaftFRT.html
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

A funny photo was printed in our newspaper yesterday;
Cigognes au garde-à-vous

le 05/08/2010
http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/permalien/arti ... image.html

perchées sur les bains municipaux, les cigognes ont veillé sur la mairie. Photo Fernand Scheidegger
Cigognes au garde-à-vous

Ce n’est ni le défilé du 14 Juillet ni une prise d’armes pour une commémoration coutumière. Pourtant, quand les cigognes se posent sur le toit des bains municipaux de Mulhouse, rue Pierre-et-Marie-Curie, elles le font avec un ordre et une régularité tout à fait militaires.

Perchés face à la mairie, les échassiers alsaciens se sont relayés — Fernand Scheidegger, de la fenêtre de son appartement, en a compté jusqu’à 18 le week-end dernier — comme s’il s’agissait de surveiller les agissements des élus municipaux. En cette période de congés, c’était sans doute, pour les oiseaux, de véritables vacances…
http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/permalien/arti ... image.html

~~~rough translation~~
Storks standing at Attention... Perched in front of the Mayors Office in Mulhouse they are standing in order with Military regularity last weekend without doubt surveying the elected officials.!! They were up to 18 at a time perched on the roof of The Municipal Baths.
Photo included didn't follow the article. :cry: From the added link you can see the image as it appeared,maybe :blush:
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

New photos from blackstorks Raivo and Oss are now posted on the interactive migration card http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/ : click to the cam symbol besides the name of the birds.

Carsten Rohde, German blackstork expert and one of the authors of the best book on blackstorks is at the time in Israel and observing them. As in the last years he could identify both birds. Raivo is his absolute favorite as you can see on one of his own websites: http://schwarzstorchberingung.de/page14.php
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Saw a link to a stork camera in Germany,or Switzerland (I suppose);

http://storchennest-hoechstadt.de/live-cam

EDIT 22 Dec.2010: Those poor storks must be 'freezing-cold up there. :slap:
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

The tagged cranes Juula, Ahja and Rasina in Birdmap can maybe be temporary honorary Black Storks?
Article about Rasina's travles by our favourite eagles and storks journalist Ulvar Käärt in Eesti Päevaleht, translation and URL to EPL article HERE
Liis

Post by Liis »

All black storks on Urmas's Migration map are seriously moving. Some seem already to be nearly halfway. While we wait, another article by Ulvar Käärt, special stork & eagle reporter, in EPL, Eesti Päevaleht, about investigations on why their nesting success has been less good in Estonia.
Black stork numbers are down to about 80 pairs now.

Source:
http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/595324
Eesti Päevaleht March 30, 2011
Author: Ulvar Käärt 30. märts 2011 07:30

Cameras used to help investigate the poor reproduction of black storks
The black stork population has steadily decreased and is now only about 80 pairs.
(Photo caption: Last spring in Saaremaa: stork lady, judged from her rings from Hiiumaa, scratches the ear of the male in the nest, but he doesn't seem to catch on. Photo: Eagle Club)

The Environmental Board and Eagle Club in cooperation have started using monitoring cameras placed at the nests to find the causes of the poor reproducibility of the black storks whose numbers are steadily decreasing.
The number of the strictly protected black storks has decreased in Estonia during recent years to an estimated 70-80 pairs. The reproduction success of the rare birds is calculated from the number of fledged young each year. Eagle Club member Urmas Sellis says that for the restoration of the species the breeding of the storks should produce at least 1,5 young per nest, but instead this indicator for our storks has been only one or even less per nest during the last years.
From images stored in the monitoring camera it is hoped to find out more precisely what or who limits the breeding success of the storks.
Urmas Sellis indicated that camera observations until now have shown that one reason for the poor breeding results of the black storks may be single male birds that come to annoy nesting stork pairs. „Evidently they have not found themselves a mate and look for a place for themselves but sadly in the process of these "spookings“ often eggs in the nest get crushed and with this the nesting attempt too,” Urmas Sellis believes.
More males
At first it was thought that the problem of the single males that disturbed the nesters was due to the fact that there were simply more male black storks than females in our part of the black stork distribution area. „Ecologically there are often more males at the outskirts of the distribution area because they are bigger, stronger and constantly testing at the limit, just out of curiosity where to go on“, Urmas Sellis said. The Estonian black storks live at the western and north-western limit of their distribution area.
Behind the rivalry between single and already mated storks may also be the fact that not enough old primeval forests suitable as habitats remain. These forests don’t even make up 1% of the total any longer. The nests of black storks are usually located in large forests far from human settlements; swamp forests and mixed forests are preferred. But the nest may also be in a heath pine forest.
In the choice of nesting site three basic conditions need to be fulfilled for the storks: there must be a suitable old tree with strong enough branches; near that must be foraging areas, preferably shallow, shadowed running water, and finally disturbances from human doings must not reach the nest sites.

But Urmas Sellis also indicated that the less than successful breeding of black storks may not have its roots in Estonia only but that the ill-famed pesticide DDT may play a part. „In cooperation with Latvia we have a project running for several years already where we look for traces of DDT in bad eggs, and until now we have not found a single clean egg“, Urmas Sellis explained. Since use of the DDT insecticide, in the beginning thought to be harmless, but later well known as an environmental hazard and a carcinogen, is forbidden in developed countries already since decades it is believed that the dangerous compound may enter the organism of our black storks in their wintering areas on the African mainland. „In some African countries DDT is obviously used even today wholly without controls“, Urmas Sellis said.
The black stork males return from their winter quarters already in the beginning of April, even before all ice and snow have gone; the females arrive a week or two later. To the wintering quarters that reach from the Mediterranean countries to the equator the black storks go alone or in small groups. After returning the male birds at once start to arrange the nest, to win the approval of the soon to arrive female birds. The black storks belong to the first or most strictly protected class of bird species.

Black storks were once called heralds of death
•• The wing span of black storks is 185–205 centimetres. It is quite similar to the white stork but is a little smaller than its relatives and differs from them by its black neck and wings. The adult bird is white from the breast to the underside of the tail, all the rest of the plumage is black with a strong purple-green iridescence, beak and legs are red. In the young bird the black in the adult plumage is dark brown, the beak and legs are olive green to greyish pink. Old people believed that this shy and seldom seen forest dweller foretold death.
•• The basic food of black stork is fish and amphibians that it preferably catches in small forest brooks and ditches. It is more seldom met foraging in lakes, shallow seas, fish ponds and water meadows. Investigations have shown that male birds can fly up to 25 kilometres from the nest to good foraging grounds.
•• Black storks become sexually mature at three years.
•• After the pair is formed the female lays two to five (or even six) eggs that are incubated in turns by both during nearly five weeks. When the young have hatched one adult always stands guard at the nest to protect them against predators and bad weather. As the young grow and their need of food increases both adults start to bring in food. In the beginning of August the young fly out of the nest but during some weeks still come to the nest for the night.
•• In the beginning of the 1980ies black storks [in Estonia] were estimated to be 250 pairs; now there are only 80 pairs."

EDIT: the numbers may need revision, according to Urmas (see post below)
The recent decrease is probably not from 250 to 80, more likely today's number is about half of that in the 1980ies, which in turn probably was not quite as high as thought. After using transmitters on BSs, it was realized that earlier sometimes a pair was counted twice. Storks move very far to forage and individual birds are difficult to distinguish by visual observations. Nor are all nests found at present.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Thanks, Liis!
Some clasification is probably needed according to the BS number in Estonia.
The decrease is not really 250>>80, but maybe twofold as maximum. After using transmitters on BSs, we realized that counted in the past sometimes the pair twice. Not all nests are found, and we need to estimate population size based on observations of birds. They really move very far to forage and it was difficult to distinguish individual birds by visual observations. Therefore errors happen in numbers.

But yesterday first BS was observed near nest site, in western Estonia, Pärnumaa!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I guess that is a bit of a relief -- I have been thinking a decline from 250-80 was a pretty big decline. But I guess it would still be a lot nicer if there were more pairs.
leonia

Post by leonia »

Seeing Raivo almost at the Estonian border is very good news after the long absence of signals from his transmitter.

May be the slowly increasing numbers of BS in Western Europe are result of more breeding success of the western migrants (via or to Spain), where DDT is forbidden? So the line between Western migrants may be moving eastwards because the western population has more offspring similar to that of the white stork population.

Edit: Doris sent the news about a new BS-Webcam in western Germany (Hunsrück). It's a bit slow, specially loading, but the BS-pair is already at home! :thumbs:

http://www.testseiten.info/schwarzstorch/index.php?c=1
asteria

Post by asteria »

Any news about the cam?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

No real news, but I think something is coming soon. We may need a topic for the 2011 BS webcam - but that is all I know, yet.
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

This is simply wonderful news!!!! I shall keep my fingers Image crossed :mrgreen:
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

In Germany I found a life cam of white storks. The cam is open between 6:00 until 21:00 MEZ (German-time). In the left corner you find two ways making picture, the left one is further afar away, the right one is nearer.
This is a picture I made this morning....
...this one just now

http://www.unser-hammelburg.de/storchennest/

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”