Pictures and Information about Storks

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Olga

Re: Pictures and Information about Storks

Post by Olga »

Hi, Bairbre! Nice to see you. :wave: Only one month to wait!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Jo UK wrote:Do you want this nest to have it's own discussion topic now? It can be done.
I was waiting to see if we are conficent about the viability of it being used by BS this year, but there is sufficient discussion here, even if it doesn't work out.

Tell me if you want a Portugese Black Stork topic, please.
As it is not a Looduskalender webcam I think we could keep it in this forum.
Jo UK, I for my part say yes! :hi: Please, do it! There are not too many BSs nor their nests seen through web cam in the world. I am sure we will hear more about the Portuguese Black Storks later even if it happens that they possibly don't make chicks..
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It is better to wait for webmaster to say where it is best to put it, in case he wants to link it to LK main page.
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Jo UK wrote:Do you want this nest to have it's own discussion topic now? It can be done.
I was waiting to see if we are conficent about the viability of it being used by BS this year, but there is sufficient discussion here, even if it doesn't work out.

Tell me if you want a Portugese Black Stork topic, please.
As it is not a Looduskalender webcam I think we could keep it in this forum.
For me it's OK :D
I'll try to help with translations although I don't have much time :sad:
Be Natural
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

There is a new place for this discussion about the Portugese Black Stork nest

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=77

I have started to transfer some of your posts, but I have not included any images you attached. (It takes time) If you would like to do that, it would make that topic look more "polished". Thanks.
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Jo UK wrote:There is a new place for this discussion about the Portugese Black Stork nest

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=77

I have started to transfer some of your posts, but I have not included any images you attached. (It takes time) If you would like to do that, it would make that topic look more "polished". Thanks.
Ok Jo :loveshower:
This evening or before if I find some time I'll put "my" pics. And give also some (inside) information on what is going on :whistling:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

Fine, Jo! The cam seems to be shut one day more :vangry: I hope we will get some more Portuguese BS-friends. Today I saw looduskalender's addres there in the Portuguese discussion thread. :thumbs:
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

(Garina do mar asked me to move this post from the Portugese Black Stork topic, but we don't want to lose it, so here it is. - Jo)

"Marine" storks in Portugal
In the Portuguese SowthWest Coast, in a place called Cabo Sardão, there are a group of storks that come every year and make the nest on the rocks. This couple is one of the first ones (I saw there another one, I'll try to post their pictures tomorrow). The pictures were taken on the 7th February this year :headroll:
garina do mar
Be Natural
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

garina do mar wrote:(Garina do mar asked me to move this post from the Portugese Black Stork topic, but we don't want to lose it, so here it is. - Jo)

"Marine" storks in Portugal
In the Portuguese SowthWest Coast, in a place called Cabo Sardão, there are a group of storks that come every year and make the nest on the rocks. This couple is one of the first ones (I saw there another one, I'll try to post their pictures tomorrow). The pictures were taken on the 7th February this year :headroll:
garina do mar
Thanks Jo
But you don't loose it because it is already here:
viewtopic.php?p=17064#p17064
:laugh:
Be Natural
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Hi, I am sure this has been posted at least a couple of times, but when will the stork cam be back, and when will Padis and Donna return to the nest???
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Bairbre wrote:Hi, I am sure this has been posted at least a couple of times, but when will the stork cam be back, and when will Padis and Donna return to the nest???
Hi, Bairbre :wave:
we are expecting them be back in the end of March or very first days of April!
remember, last year Donna arrived on April the 1st.
about the cam- depends when Urmas&Co will feel the urge to climb the tree :D
anyway - not too long to wait :2thumbsup:
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Hi Kuremarie :wave:

This has been such a long, dreary winter. Now that the time is approaching, I am getting impatient. :mrgreen: Donna and Padis just captivated me last year, and I met so many new friends here....
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Hello, Bairbe,Kuremari, and all the others waiting im/patiently for the return of the BS to Estonia,like me :hi:
Will watch-out here and wait for THE NEWS.
'till then :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW. (and I MUST,somehow learn to do screen-caps :slap: )
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Meanwhile found this .
mms://video.eenet.ee/tooni/rongastamine.asf
"Du deja vu"...some of you may have seen this,but I only saw the 2008 season.!!
The Santa fisherman was alreadt hard at work :loveshower:
Happy memories :thumbs:
Carmel a member of SHOW
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you Carmel. Happy memories of the 2007 nest. I think the insects were biting furiously that year. It looked like Urmas was very popular with those nasty flies.
Thanks for finding that one!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

A very interesting news article in the International Herald Tribune.

WITNESS - Wildlife and radiation in evacuated Chernobyl zone
March 5, 2009
By Vasily Fedosenko

Here is the link to the article: http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/200 ... RNOBYL.php

But in case it disappears, I am copying it here because of the reference to the Black Stork and other animals that we are interested in (boars, wolves, eagles)

Vasily Fedosenko is a Reuters photographer based in the Belarussian capital, Minsk. Born in 1960 in the provincial town of Bobruisk, he initially trained as an engineer but late in the Soviet era started taking on jobs as photo correspondent with Belarussian newspapers and began working for Reuters in 1997. His assignments include Russia, Ukraine and Georgia as well as Afghanistan, Liberia and Poland. In the following story, he recounts one of his regular tours of the nature reserve that has grown up in the forest area contaminated by the Chernobyl nuclear reactor explosion.)

We venture out at dawn from a dilapidated shack nestled in a forest to see the animals, although rising early is not always necessary.

Still inhospitable to humans, the Chernobyl "exclusion zone" -- a contaminated 30-km radius around the site of the nuclear reactor explosion of April 26, 1986 -- is now a nature reserve and teems with wolves, moose, bison, wild boars and bears.

Boars, which generally confine their sorties to dusk, plunder what remains of gardens in the daytime, strolling down empty village streets, wandering into farms and settlements in search of food.

Moose also venture out -- like the cow and her two young which appear on the roadside to munch on low-hanging branches.

"Moose are very curious creatures," says Grigory Sys, one of the naturalists who oversee the animals in the still-radioactive forest. "They'll want to have a good look at us for a couple of minutes before heading off into the forest."

Since I met him about four years ago I've accompanied Sys a half-dozen times round the 2,162 square km (865-sq. mile) zone, emptied of people by the fire and explosion at the plant just over the border in Ukraine.

Belarus, downwind from the blast, was the country worst affected by the world's worst civil nuclear accident. A quarter of its territory was contaminated and villages deserted on both sides of the border between what were then Soviet republics.

The human hardship is untold: dozens died putting out the blaze, there were mass evacuations of tens of thousands of people -- some twice as the authorities underestimated the extent of radiation -- thousands developed thyroid cancer.

But it was undeniably a good thing for wildlife.

"You'll see -- they run off a bit, but will then stop," Sys says of the moose.

Touring the zone with Sys means spending several nights in a forest shack, with few comforts beyond three simple cots and a stove.

We take my car through the zone's abandoned villages. Houses, personal possessions, shops, even amenities like amusement parks, are left untouched from late in the Soviet era.

WOLVES RULE

Sys says the wolves, now numbering 300, are in charge.

"The wolf is very clever and cunning. He earns the respect of any adversary," he says. "They used to be killed off at any opportunity in the hundreds, even from helicopters. But they adapted and survived."

Killing wolves is now prohibited, with only a handful culled each year for scientific research.

That has let them dominate the abandoned forests and meadows, although some farmers outside the zone say wolves raid their livestock. Residents of two villages saw wolves in the streets and one woman was killed in a confrontation with them.

Wolf tracks are everywhere. Guides hear them howling in the night.

During a break for a snack in one village, Sys suddenly stops and hisses at me not to move.

The grey animal is now visible on the road about 200 meters away, trying to assess what we are doing there with our car. In an instant it darts to the left and disappears into the forest.

Now free from the influence of human habitation, wolves have altered their feeding habits and their main prey has become the packs of boars.

The free-roaming boars now push their way into what is supposed to be a feeding station for the reserve's bison herd.

"We feed the bison here in the winter. The boars often come here in the evening to try to get their share of the feed," Sys said. "It's quite fun to see how the bison chase them away."

Guides report plenty of bear tracks in the area as well as lynx -- animals classed as an endangered species in Belarus.

Some wildlife have disappeared because of the changes.

The white stork, once a familiar figure in the area's towns, disliked the isolation and headed off in search of populated areas. But the black stork, fond of thick forests, stayed.

One newcomer is the white-tailed eagle, the largest eagle in Belarus, rarely spotted in proximity to man. Sys says he has seen five nests in an area now clearly suited to the birds.
Some birds even choose to over-winter here -- catching their fill of fish at unfrozen locks inside the zone.

The reserve -- and the freedom afforded to animals by the absence of human habitation -- remains a huge magnet to researchers. But tourists and the curious are not welcome.

"We are happy to welcome here fellow scientists from other countries to work on joint projects," said its director, Pytor Kudan. "But I am afraid we don't want tourists or amateur bird or animal-lovers. We have very specific conditions here. And one of them remains high radiation, sometimes very high radiation."

(Writing by Ron Popeski; Editing by Sara Ledwith)
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

bociany wrote:A very interesting news article in the International Herald Tribune.

March 5, 2009
By Vasily Fedosenko
You are right :nod: Very interesting! Who would say? Thanks :bow:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

This is very interesting! Thank you Bociany!
March 5, 2009
By Vasily Fedosenko

Here is the link to the article: http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/200 ... RNOBYL.php

But in case it disappears, I am copying it here because of the reference to the Black Stork and other animals that we are interested in (boars, wolves, eagles)
:2thumbsup:
unp

Post by unp »

First Flock of White Storks Announces Spring's Arrival in Burgas
7 March 2009, Saturday

The ornithologists from the Center for Nature Protection "Poda" near the Black Sea city of Burgas have noticed Saturday morning the first white storks in the area.
The news was announced by Dimcho Dimchev, Manager of the Center, which belongs to the Bulgarian Bird Protection Society.
Despite the strong winds in the area, the storks have been able to gain altitude and fly away. These are the first migratory bird visitors for 2009, marking the end of winter and the beginning of spring. The peak periods for the storks to arrive in Bulgaria are the end of March and the beginning of April, according to Dimchev.
The white storks spend the winter season in South Africa and in the spring fly over 15,000 kilometers to their breeding locations in Europe. The last count of white storks in Bulgaria has been conducted in 2004/ 2005 and the Bulgarian Bird Protection Society found 4,818 breeding couples.
75% of the entire European white stork population or about 250,000 storks fly over "Poda" each year along with 100% of the population of the pink pelican and hundreds of thousands of other migratory bird species.
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=101776

Published on March 07, 2009 at 7:15 PM BG
First white storks fly over Bulgarian Black-Sea town of Burgas

15 white storks flew over the Black-Sea town of Burgas despite strong northerly winds. These were the first birds, guests from the south, for 2009. They marked the beginning of spring season in Bulgaria. Over 75% of the European population of white storks, that is, about 250,000 birds and 100% of the European population of pink pelicans and hundreds of thousands of other migratory birds fly that same air route each year.
http://www.bnr.bg/RadioBulgaria/Emissio ... 0703B5.htm

More white storks seen flying north in Israel on March 6
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q173 ... CF8114.jpg
unp

Post by unp »

February 27, Israel
http://www.naturelight.ru/fullscreen/18444.html

Also, an unusual (child's) view of spring. (Father writes that the child has never seen that painting.)
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/c ... spring.jpg

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”