Pictures and Information about Storks

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Olga

Re: Pictures and Information about Storks

Post by Olga »

Good morning, garina do mar! Oh, yes.. google! :slap: I understood that Isabel meant that she (just like me too) was not aware that there even exists Black Storks until she saw them in the Estonian web cam. Not other way round!

I was hooked from the first day I saw the nest and it's residents, May 2008
What can one learn through web cam! In the Finnish language there is left only the word, one of the names of Black Storks - nälkäkurki ( it means litarally: 'crane of hunger' <-- a thin person!), but nowadays there are only few who knows that it used to mean Black Stork!
Screenshots the 15th May:
1_May_15_08.JPG
2_May_15_08.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Jasmijn wrote:Ehhhh :blush: I don't know if you all only love the black stork or all species of the stork?
I will share my yesterdays 'adventure' and pictures with you;
Two storks where terrible 'fladdering' above our house as if they could fall down any second.
I was exited and terrifying at the same time, but I took my camera and followd them.
They allmost fall in our meadow, they seemt very exhausted and wet.
They stayed allday and thismorning they left early and wher okay.
thank you for these pictures, it is heart breaking to see them so tired, but at last they completed their long journey successfully and are almost at home :D
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

renandeli wrote:...
There is a discussion thread and I translated with google almost all!...
Hello :wave:
What was said at the Portuguese vulture cam site (I put in smaller font what Renandeli wrote):

"Well, they are all entusiasts, what else.. :D People think that this black stork seems to be healthy and good looking, well fed, it's feathers are exeptionally shining in sunlight, it behaves calm." Quite Ok

"Now it is sleeping there, I don't know how many meters high up from the level of the river." It's about 20 meters.

"The nest which this (these?.. if the two storks seen there are a couple) Black stork has chosen is an old Griffon Vulture's nest. It is about to fall down - it is broken by storms and rain, the watchers there told." From the video it seems they are a couple but only one has been seen. The nest is a former BS nest. Last year, I don't why, they choose another one, but that one this year was occupied by a griffon couple and now they came back (we hope :bow:) for this one. The nest that is broken is one slightly above that is not occupied and was last year the one where we saw the birth and growing up of the little griffon.

"I wonder if one month is enough time for them to prepaire and rebuild the nest..First eggs should be seen at the end of March.. " We don't know if one month is enough to build a nest but WS do it in less time. We don't know either when there will be an egg as BS usually only arrive in Portugal in the end of March.

"There are people who have watched the Estonian web cam last year. Now they hope they could watch as well the portuguese BS nesting as the Estonian BS's nesting too, and to make coparisons! Oh, it would be great!" I think that everybody that comments on the vulture cam site (and possible many others that don't comment)have followed the growing up of the Looduskalender BS. We also followed last year the pigs cam
"(google transl:Last year much like to see the Estonia! Until then I knew that there were no black storks !:(((
26.02.2009 - 20:05 - Elizabeth R
" Correct. Only it is Isabel and not Elizabeth ;))

"Hopefully it is, Isabel R. Via cegonhitas be fun to grow and see if the nested Estonia will also be interesting to make comparisons ...
26.02.2009 - 20:01 - Luisa Moreira
" "We hope that she will stay Isabel R. It will be nice to see little BS growing up and if those from Estonia also have a nest it will be interesting making comparisons."

News from today: there was a problem with the camera and we don't know at what time she left :cry: Only that at 8h15 UTC she was not there and didn't came back yet. But they usually use mornings to look for food. Since Tuesday nobody has seen 2 BS together.
See you later :wave:
Be Natural
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Hello :wave:
BS has just arrived. :loveshower:
But only one. We guess she will stay for the night as "usual" :unsure:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

garina do mar wrote:Hello :wave:
BS has just arrived. :loveshower:
But only one. We guess she will stay for the night as "usual" :unsure:
I saw it when she came! three minutes before yesterday evening. :loveshower: Did you take pics? If not, I'll put some later. She is so amazing.. she cleaned her toes.. preparing herself to sleep.

here it is coming and in one second of the first minute on the rock (no-one knows is it she or he)
2009-02-27_20-17_BS_Portugal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Jo UK wrote:Welcome, Artemis.
I hope you enoy this forum.
But, suppose the black storks come back a few days earlier this year? I think we need to start watching for them before the 31st.
Of course, that all depends on "He Who Climbs Trees with Webcams!" :laugh:
Getting the camera working too early is not a big problem, but too late...
But I think we´ll see when "our" storks are near because of those who have a radio transmitter.
Olga

Post by Olga »

I have 'read' the posts there in the Portuguese thread. It seems that people are waiting for the next fullmoon night! Then it should be the right moment to begin the nesting en serious with succes.. :innocent: I don't know! Here some pics of the Portuguese Black stork's arrival to home place where it has spent four or five nights. It is looking around, cleaning toes and feathers, it seems to feel just fine.
BS_20-19_Portugal.JPG
BS_20-20_Portugal.JPG
BS_ 20-22_and_20-51_Portugal.JPG
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Nice pictures Renandeli :D
renandeli wrote:I have 'read' the posts there in the Portuguese thread. It seems that people are waiting for the next fullmoon night! Then it should be the right moment to begin the nesting en serious with succes.. :innocent: I don't know!

Pure speculation from some observers. We don't know really when it will happen :peek:
Be Natural
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Half of hour ago the BS was probably on rock (at least some black spot i noticed), but can't see now... Though the image is very foggy yet.

As I understood from previous posts, so early BS also in Portugal is rare. Think this stork was wintering somewhere nearby?
Urmas
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

kotkaklubi wrote:Half of hour ago the BS was probably on rock (at least some black spot i noticed), but can't see now... Though the image is very foggy yet.

As I understood from previous posts, so early BS also in Portugal is rare. Think this stork was wintering somewhere nearby?
Urmas
The BS is gone. Near 6h45 UTC. And the camera is off now, but yesterday she only returned after 19h00 UTC.
There are 2 storks. We saw them together on the 24th. :loveshower:
It is rare but everything is happening earlier this year: lots of Griffon vultures had eggs in December when it usually happens in January. We had very cold days this winter but temperatures are quite high now. Maybe the same happened in Africa and they thought it was already spring? :puzzled:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

Good morning! :wave: I didn't see the BS in Portugal this morning. But it has been there. It left before the cam went off, "Volto já - Be Back Soon".

garina do mar, hi! I know the way people may speculate all kind of matters around the Black Storks. I love the imaginations people have.. and there are behind that 'speculations' the old storie's 'logic'. It has a connection to the mythes and legends. Despsite of the 'funny' way of speculations, there is something real in it at same time! The old time's people had different relation to the phenomenes of nature. We have lost it, but not wholly, as I saw last summer while watching the Estonian storks. 'New' legends were emerging: In the Midsommer night the Santa Fisherman climbs on the nest to read stories to the chicks! And he gives fresh fish to chicks!..I saw it!! :rotf:

It is nice to read that the watchers there watched also our Estonian pigs last night!!

the addres to BS cam

http://static.publico.clix.pt/grifosnaweb/#begin
Olga

Post by Olga »

garina do mar said:
There are 2 storks. We saw them together on the 24th.
Oh, what wonderful! Let's wait what happens before the next full moon!! 8-)
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

renandeli wrote:garina do mar said: Oh, what wonderful! Let's wait what happens before the next full moon!! 8-)
:wave: Renandeli
You SAW them together either! It's on the video I sent you :D
The problem with these speculations is that they are from people that know nothing about and don't even have empiric knowledge. They saw sometinhg once ant think that is like that all the time.
Concerning full moon, may I remind you that Donna and Padis "met" before the new moon and the first egg was laid before the 1st quarter? :whistling:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

Oh! It was the video from the 24th of February! I was thinking that some one had seen (!) them last at 24:00 o'clock! :slap: And you had some inside knowledge! (of course I wondered how in earth they could be seen in a black night on those most dangerous rocks! :mrgreen: )
Olga

Post by Olga »

garina do mar wrote: :wave: Renandeli
You SAW them together either! It's on the video I sent you :D
The problem with these speculations is that they are from people that know nothing about and don't even have empiric knowledge. They saw sometinhg once ant think that is like that all the time.
Concerning full moon, may I remind you that Donna and Padis "met" before the new moon and the first egg was laid before the 1st quarter? :whistling:
Oh! It was the video from the 24th of February! I was thinking that some one had seen (!) them last at 24:00 o'clock! :slap: And you had some inside knowledge! (of course I wondered how an earth they could be seen in a black night on those most dangerous rocks! )

Some people, yes, tell their 'fancy stories' en serious, but as false they are, their stories and speculations encourage other people to think and study the reality always more and more exactly. :2thumbsup:
Olga

Post by Olga »

I found information on Black Storks in Portugal from 2006. The breeding population of Black Stork
Ciconia nigra in the Iberian Peninsula. Distribution of confirmed pairs of Black Stork (dots in 10x10km square UTM grid) and range (darker), with administrative limits as background.
http://www.ucm.es/info/zoo/bcv/pdf/2006_Biota_7_15.pdf
BS_Iberia_2006.JPG
BS_2009-02-27_20-17.JPG
map.jpg_griffon_vulture_BS_cam.JPG
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Some links about BS in Portugal. Unfortunetly they are all in Portuguese except the first one that has parts in English

From a project included within the Business & Biodiversity european iniciative, which is financed by the Portuguese Electrical Power company EDP
http://www.rupicolas.com/portal/EN/6/default.aspx

Follow up of some storks that were "chiped":
http://seguimentodeaves.domdigital.pt/c ... /cegonhas/

From the Portuguese Institute for Nature & Biodiversity Conservation
http://portal.icnb.pt/ICNPortal/vPT2007 ... s=1280x800
http://www.icn.pt/psrn2000/caracterizac ... 0nigra.pdf (File from Nature 2000 network)

From the Portuguese association of birds "ringers"
http://www.apaa.pt/doc/apresentacao14.pdf
(in page 29 we can see the nest actually shown, some years ago)

General information
http://www.naturlink.pt/canais/Artigo.a ... &iLingua=1
http://www.avesdeportugal.info/cicnig.html
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

Great links, garina do mar, informative, super pictures.. thanks. The google translator is not so bad when the language is 'document-language' and not individually spoken Portuguese. :wave:

One google translation from Portuguess: In Portugal there are about 100 couples, a very small number of individuals. The species has the status of Critically Vulnerable and not in Danger [Red Book of Vertebrates in Portugal (Almeida et al (2005)] by the possibility of immigration from neighboring regions.
it is from here:

http://portal.icnb.pt/ICNPortal/vPT2007 ... s=1280x800

Beautiful photos of Black Storks and their nests in different environments, local ornithologists at work.. here:
From the Portuguese association of birds "ringers"
http://www.apaa.pt/doc/apresentacao14.pdf
(in page 29 we can see the nest actually shown, some years ago)

Let's hope that the Portuguese Black Stoks will have chicks.. The BS-cam needs an own Topic - but maybe we have to wait yet.. :thumbs:
BS_nest_the_on_the_clip_of_rock.JPG
BS_researchers_Portugal.JPG
scientific_BS_research_Portugal.JPG
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Do you want this nest to have it's own discussion topic now? It can be done.
I was waiting to see if we are conficent about the viability of it being used by BS this year, but there is sufficient discussion here, even if it doesn't work out.

Tell me if you want a Portugese Black Stork topic, please.
As it is not a Looduskalender webcam I think we could keep it in this forum.
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Hi Renandeli :wave:

Welcome Artemis, I too am waiting for our storks to return. Won't be long now! :headroll: :loveshower:

I have been absent most of this past week. My little grandson has been very sick, so I spent a lot of time at my daughter's house.
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”