Black Stork Webcam - Tiit & Tiina 2011

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
rachowiak

Re: Black Stork Webcam - New Nest.

Post by rachowiak »

jopie wrote:Tiina arrived, Tiit left the eggs, made avances to Tiina, without success, he left and Tiina is on the eggs now.
Do you have method to identify Tiina and Tiit? Urmas maybe?
Olga

Post by Olga »

I saw Tiit return ar 17:35!

But first I'll put five pics of Tiina, the star was again shining on her head in the afternoon sun.

Well, there is not very much information on these pics, but Tiina is so beautiful! She was brooding most of the time, but also preened a lot, and didn't forget to take care of the nest bottom and the two treasures. I have not seen if Tiit has visited since a was not at PC.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Tiit arrives:
17:35

I could not see if was it Tiina's turn to leave??
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
visitor

Post by visitor »

rachowiak wrote: You're right. In 2008, Donna laid egg every two days and usually it has been done at night. This normal rhythm has been affected by the aggression of a foreign male. This meant when one egg (from three layed) was destroyed, and Donna have laid the two new eggs. Two storklets hatched from these late eggs have been killed and eaten by Donna.
Hi, rachowiak, nice to see old (and new) friends gathering around a Black Stork nest again! :gathering:

I so hope we will have another great summer and beautiful family here. 8-)
a storkaholic
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

visitor wrote: I found a little difference in the article http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/9962
and it's english translation http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/9977 about this nest.
In Estonian it says this nest is known since 2009 and there were three chicks (see the picture below).
Hello Visitor - it is great to see you here at the stork's nest!

I read in the English version: The nest is known from the autumn of 2009; the storklets had then already left the nest. In 2010 nesting failed, there were only egg shells on the ground under the nest in July. We do not know what happened.

It sounds as though there might have been a predator in 2010? Who would do that? A raven? A mammal?

Witaj rachowiak! (that is almost all the Polish that I know)

You mentioned that Donna hatched 5 young and killed the two youngest - that was a bit traumatic for us to see, but I read that it is typical of storks (white storks, too). Watching the LSE nest is not for the faint of heart, either.
rachowiak

Post by rachowiak »

visitor wrote: Hi, rachowiak, nice to see old (and new) friends gathering around a Black Stork nest again! :gathering:
BTW: It's a pity Miss Middle (killed in Belarus on the power lines), but I wonder what happened with Miss Big and Miss Little. I remember that in 2008 Miss Big left nest 2-3 weeks before the siblings.

Has anyone watched these birds on the wintering ground?
rachowiak

Post by rachowiak »

bociany wrote: You mentioned that Donna hatched 5 young and killed the two youngest - that was a bit traumatic for us to see, but I read that it is typical of storks (white storks, too). Watching the LSE nest is not for the faint of heart, either.
Hi, bociany!!!
yes, I read about this behaviour too. In this case the basic problem was significant difference in age and development, and hence growth, between the old and the youngest birds. Later we observed droughts in Estonia and then it turned out as providing and caring mother was Donna - I remember that Padis disappeared from the nest for a longer time. I hope that this year we finally see a young black storks.
jopie

Post by jopie »

rachowiak wrote: You're right. In 2008, Donna laid egg every two days and usually it has been done at night. This normal rhythm has been affected by the aggression of a foreign male. This meant when one egg (from three layed) was destroyed, and Donna have laid the two new eggs. Two storklets hatched from these late eggs have been killed and eaten by Donna.
Rachowiak, that is a horror story, this year it will be better!
jopie

Post by jopie »

But about the egg laying, it goes about the same way as with the "normal" (white) Stork then. They also prefer to lay their eggs in the night.
jopie

Post by jopie »

rachowiak wrote: Do you have method to identify Tiina and Tiit? Urmas maybe?
So far only 2 certain things: Tiit is bigger than Tiina and Tiina has a black spot on the left side of her brest (as we look at it you see it at the right side) between the white feathers.
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Good Morning, Afternoon,

There must be many people watching the nest. It keeps freezing on me and I cannot always get it back right away. :banghead:
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
rachowiak

Post by rachowiak »

jopie wrote: Rachowiak, that is a horror story, this year it will be better!
Donna's and Padis' old friends still remember this tragedy. We all hope that a similar we'll no longer seen (although Mother Nature sometimes is very cruel).
jopie

Post by jopie »

Bairbre wrote:Good Morning, Afternoon,

There must be many people watching the nest. It keeps freezing on me and I cannot always get it back right away. :banghead:

Bairbre, nothing the matter here, maybe you better start new?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:I saw Tiit return ar 17:35!

But first I'll put five pics of Tiina, the star was again shining on her head in the afternoon sun.

Well, there is not very much information on these pics, but Tiina is so beautiful! She was brooding most of the time, but also preened a lot, and didn't forget to take care of the nest bottom and the two treasures. I have not seen if Tiit has visited since a was not at PC.

Yesterdy I noticed those four little white spots on Tiina's left shoulder when she is sitting,incubating,even when she is standing. Maybe they can help to identify her ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

jopie wrote: Rachowiak, that is a horror story, this year it will be better!
Then the number of eggs should be no more than three.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
rachowiak

Post by rachowiak »

jopie wrote: So far only 2 certain things: Tiit is bigger than Tiina and Tiina has a black spot on the left side of her brest (as we look at it you see it at the right side) between the white feathers.
I noticed the third difference - Tiina has a different shape of red mask - between eye and beak she has clearly visible tip of the triangle pointing upwards.

Compare Olga's pictures:
23dr April, 11:47 - second photo
April 23rd, 11:50 - first photo
jopie

Post by jopie »

Macdoum, I see the white spots on her left shoulder now, so this is Tiina, and will look at her beak later also. Together we will find all the differences :loveshower:
jopie

Post by jopie »

Rachowiak, I just took this picture. Could and would you explain to me about the eye again?
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Hello! :hi:

I have some pics from yesterday. There is visible Tiit's eyes.
Left eye:
Zoom

Right eye:
Zoom

Maybe it will help to identify who is who? :rolleyes:
Bubo Bubo
jopie

Post by jopie »

She folds her feathers so nicely around her beak :D

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”