Black Stork Webcam - Tiit & Tiina 2011

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Olga

Re: Black Stork Webcam - New Nest.

Post by Olga »

oliv wrote:I am not good at maps from Finland . Is it south or north?
Neli was seen there yeasterday, around the vague yellow star there between Turku and Helsinki. Today she may be who knows where! It very possible that Neli is back in Estonia already :nod:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
asteria

Post by asteria »

vaino wrote:
Did Urmas' report say that it was Neli? I am not sure ! Anyhow, the nest is empty.
Yes, it is Neli: on the photo her ring number 711T is clearly seen.

Could she fly to Finland because of South wind?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

:hi: Nice picture of Neli. So she was/is in Finland... I hope she find the way to the south though.. :unsure:
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Hello everybody left in this years' BS forum,
I am much too late for this year because I made mistakes with my registration... :banghead:

Here is one more link to our beloved birds, according to Urmas' hint: behind this snapshot I found another website in Finland - BS seem to stay there in the south not too seldom during summer. But, I am afraid, Neli is NOT the first young stork who irrates with migration to the "south". You find pics&describtions on
TARSIGER, Finnish birding platform

So, with the luck of some excellent bird photographers, we are able to watch some more rare BS snapshots.
At least, I agree with you all that this year was extraordinarily for BS breeding successful - in Germany as well.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Anya wrote:Welcome to visit Finland, sweetie! Thanks, Urmas!
Now Neli your gyroscope is a bit 'off course' so you must turn around pronto and fly a long journey to the sunshine ..... :nod: Go south,go safely,God speed. :chick:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Katinka wrote:Hello everybody left in this years' BS forum,
I am much too late for this year because I made mistakes with my registration...posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=288#

Here is one more link to our beloved birds, according to Urmas' hint: behind this snapshot I found another website in Finland - BS seem to stay there in the south not too seldom during summer. But, I am afraid, Neli is NOT the first young stork who irrates with migration to the "south". You find pics&describtions on
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.p ... DESC&sel=2

So, with the luck of some excellent bird photographers, we are able to watch some more rare BS snapshots.

At least, I agree with you all that this year was extraordinarily for BS breeding successful - in Germany as well.
:wave: Welcome Katinka! It will take only 8-9 moths till the next season!! But we may get some information of Estonian BSs during their route, and of course we are able to follow the tagged BSs on the migration map.

I remembered that Estonian Black storks have visited here also in earlier years, but didn't remember the year 2008, then there was several beautiful photos of them. I waited that a couple of them would nest here in the following spring!! But no, they didn't.. :-| . Not yet 8-) It's fine to know that we have here people who have been interested on BSs too! Some of the Finnish ornithologists visit each year e. g. in Israel and in some other countries, Greece, to see Black storks, and of course they make trips to Estonia too.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Hereby I would forward the message of photographer Janne:

Hi Urmas
Neli was in Salo Perniö 31.08.2011 at 12.10 pm until.
When weather cleared up, Neli got wings and headed high in the sky to the south.

My other photos are quite similar because it was quite late and Neli prepared for sleep.
You find the place putting Ketuviikintie, Salo to Google maps.

sincerely
Janne
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks, Urmas.
It is a great relief to know that Neli headed South.

Thanks to Janne, too
Olga

Post by Olga »

Here Neli was:

edit: I added the scale on the map.

There are lakes and sea shores Neli liked for sure:

It's country side:

Is it allowed to 'borrow' the photograph of Janne too??.. hm..

I try, in case he does not like I'll think of what to do.. :puzzled: :nod:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga :hi: Thank you for showing us where Neli was visiting. Isn't it fantastic that the photographer was on place just at the right moment, when Neli was on a visit? And now she is on her way to the south, I wish her a safe journey..Good night :offtobed: :wave:
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Lussi05 wrote:Olga :hi: Thank you for showing us where Neli was visiting. Isn't it fantastic that the photographer was on place just at the right moment, when Neli was on a visit? And now she is on her way to the south, I wish her a safe journey..Good night :offtobed: :wave:
And thanks to Urmas and to Janne! I hope Neli is on her way to the south. By my dear! Perhaps you meet my BS anywhere..... :wave:

Good night to everyone...... :offtobed:
vaino

Post by vaino »

Sep.1, 3:18, It is an unbelieval story that Neli really fly North approx. 100km and then South again. How do you explain this?
asteria

Post by asteria »

vaino wrote:Sep.1, 3:18, It is an unbelieval story that Neli really fly North approx. 100km and then South again. How do you explain this?
Maybe Neli flew with the wind from South, because it was easier for her?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

In Germany is a saying: "Alle Wege führen nach Rom", what means: All the ways are leading to Rome...
Perhaps Neli has power in the wings for two thousand miles, will stay not so far away. What is to do? There is to take an indirection and so first go northwards, but then :whistling: flying through.
:bounce: Our baby - a puzzle at all.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Oh heavens :faint: what was Neli doing in Finnland? :slap:
I hope she found the right direction by now and she was there only to say hello to Olga and Ame there! :wave:

The nest was empty yesterday: http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... gust%2031/

I visited the Black Storks at the zoo yesterday, but I had to see that one of the two is in a bad way

Anybody here to know if a beak so damaged like this will grow back?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
vaino

Post by vaino »

17:32, Heavy rain and empty nest ! Neli did not visit her old home. Let's hope that she finds her way South!
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

I heard of white storks which flew also first to the north and afterwards to the south. Just looking a bit. We have also had white storks from France in the middle of Germany and they flew back to France and afterwards to Spain. It is not so unusual. Perhaps Neli does the same! Hope so! :hi:

Today there was an article with my photo in the news paper about the young black stork from CZ! I am very proud! :loveshower:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Congratulations Andrea

Felis I don't know. I have seen white storks with man made beak fixes -- this looks like maybe the bird is at the zoo because of beak trauma.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I have googled a bit in the meantime and also found a few hints that storks got man-made protheses. I suppose you are right in your guess that this stork is in the zoo because of its beak, I also thought on that line. I tried to find something on that particular one, but could not. Maybe next time I am there I look for a keeper to ask.
Congratulations to Andrea! It's really an experience! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Well, I finally finished reading all the posts about our BS chicks, & what a tale it was while I was offline! Such bated breath while waiting to see if Johanna/Kolm would continue to stay with Neli & go together with her on the migration. And then such consternation over the next many days after Neli was alone to see when she would finally "take the plunge" & leave the nest for good. (And that heroic struggle to eat the HUGE fish or eel-- whatever it was-- brought by the parent that day!) And then-- when she finally did leave for good, she flew all the way to Finland!! I think she had been such a homebody that when she discovered flying was for more than hopping from tree to tree in the forest, she got a sense of adventure in her heart & just went sightseeing! Now it sounds like she is safely on her way to the south, & all is well. It was wonderful to see the photo of Neli from Janne Riihimäki, thank you to Urmas for sharing the link with us.
:loveshower:

And now, to Neli & all the black storklet siblings, as well as Tina & Tiit, fair weather on your journey to the south & may there be an abundance of fish, frogs & other tasty things for all of you on your way. It has been a good first season for me.
Kitty KCMO

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”