Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
katsik

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Post by katsik »

Thank you Dr. Madis for detailed information and helping little Lenny! And many thanks to Urmas that he visited Lenny in hospital :2thumbsup: It's so nice when someone comes to see you in tough times :rolleyes: :laugh:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Urmas for explaining the different methods used,if possible during ringing.
I'm sure Lenny 'growled' at you...if he remembers you when you visited. :laugh:
Urmas we are anxious to hear how we can help the Eagle Club also. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Urmas: Thanks to visit Lenny in hospital. And thanks for all your information :wave: .
And I'm admirer for your work. To ring this 3 guys whit sharp beaks high above in the nest :thumbs:
macdoum wrote:
Urmas we are anxious to hear how we can help the Eagle Club also. :puzzled:
:nod:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

For bank transfer you need IBAN and BIC, but I don't know If I'm allowed to post both here? In any case, the bank has a homepage where you can find out the BIC (what is BLZ in Germany as an example) and an IBAN-calculator which gives you the IBAN if you know the account number. I think it is cheaper to make a bank transfer within the EU! My bank does not charge anything for transfer inside the EU!
Send me a PM, if necessary, okay? Only now I have to :offtobed: and say good night! :wave:

Manu - I send you a PM!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Manu

Post by Manu »

Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Hello again friends of the Black Storks! :peek:
I’m a member since last summer, perhaps you remember – I had a young Black Stork in my area (south of Germany) from the Czech Republic during some weeks. He left to continue his migration in autumn 2011 and I hope he is fine.
I always look at the cam and read your postings. My thoughts are with you and Lenny. Thanks to Urmas and Dr. Madis for the help. Your work is great! I would like to donate too, but as Felis already wrote we need an IBAN and BIC. There are no costs separately. Perhaps I can get all the data by PM? Hoping Lenny will recover soon. I’m also hoping to find a solution for him after recovering.
Sorry, I can’t write often as I have a lot to do at work and in my private life. Not enough time. :cry: But I'm always in the background! Regards to everyone here!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello,
I have been following the events here all the time about. I am registered since new today, thank you for your welcome. :wave:

It's hard for me to process the entire English text. My English is shut down for 30 years. :blush:

I wish the little stork who is ill, all the best. The two siblings I will continue to keep our (my) fingers crossed. Thank you Dr. Madis!

good night
Freedom!
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Hello Swenja, and welcome to the forum.

There are many countries and languages represented here. :D
Buit we all manage to understand each other and offer help when it is asked for.
Come back soon, and often.
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
Madis

Post by Madis »

Hello!
As you have heard from Urmas visited me at the clinic hour after the end of surgery and the storklet was doing fine. So everybody who cant sleep right now, relax...
I will try to write a post (update) tomorrow noon after i have inspected the injury site and done the treatments and feeding in the morning.
And i truly THANK all the people who support what we do, as if there wouldn't be people who care about wildlife and support our efforts, there wouldn't be people like me, Urmas or other good fellows who work for the benefit of wildlife... its actually you guys that make it happen, so I thank you that I can help your "family member"
But now its nighty-night for me.

Cheers!
--
With best regards,

Madis Leivits, DVM
Expert-veterinary
Estonian Fund for Nature

tel. +372 525 8994
email: madis@elfond.ee
www.elfond.ee
--
Madis Leivits, DVM
President - Estonian Veterinary Association
Veterinarian - Estonian University of Life Sciences
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Dr. Madis thank you very much for coming in with your update. Everyone will be so relieved when they read your post in the morning.

Thank you for caring about wildlife too. Many would consider one injured young storklet not worth worrying about.

Many grateful people here wish you a restful night.
Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thank you so much for your Update Dr. Madis (at this time :shock: )
Good night and thanks for all you effort!!!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello Dr. Madis,
I'm relieved that the young stork is in such good hands. Thank you so much Dr. Madis and good night for everyone here.

Greetings from Berlin :wave:
Freedom!
Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:sleep:

:wave:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

July 4

These pictures are from the Pontu archive

6:15

6:24

6:35

6:45
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good morning everybody! :wave:
It was good to read Dr. Madis' report and I hope it will go on like this! Thanks for taking the trouble to post in the middle of the night!

I have sent a PM to Andrea with the data, if anybody else needs them as well, just let me know, I think it is not good to post them public - who knows who else reads them!
Welcome also to the new members, if any German member needs help with anything, please feel free to ask, what I or we can do, we certainly will! I once again mention the German section viewtopic.php?f=45&t=300 where we from the translator team try to post additional material and translations for those who are interested in or have trouble understanding!

Have a nice day everybody, and all the best to Lenny!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Thanks Felis........... :D I'm in a hurry............

Thanks Dr. Madis for the report. All the best for Lenny.
Welcome the new members :gathering:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

12:07 Tiina arrived with a portion of fish

macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good morning everybody! :wave:

I am bit late, but also was a feeding at 9:56.

9:21 Practicing
9:56 Feeding :)

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Madis

Post by Madis »

Howdy!
So ill start from tomorrow. As there where lot of discussion how the injury occurred and there was talk about something metallic i did some radiographs to be on the safe side that there is nothing metallic in the bird. On the radiographs there was nothing significant to see - that's good. Looking at the injure site it looks bit unusual. It seems more like cutting than blunt trauma.
Other thing what i'm questioned that if we look at the storks pictures and the fracture we see the proximal part from the fracture is not aligned with the upper beak but the distal, fractured tip runs to the tip of upper beak - logically taken it should be the other way around proximal part aligned normally whit the upper beak and distal, the fractured tip bent to one side.
And if i look the upper beak with a liner, its not perfectly straight. Why i have those thoughts, 4 years ago there was a scissored beak black stork also... the common thing what they have are the trematodes. the stork 4 years ago had a lot of them.
Anyways just some thoughts, maybe somebody who can differentiate the nestlings can look at the beak from former pictures and see if there is something noticeable now when we know what to look.
A bit about the trematode also... they are whit indirect development, they need to have 2 hosts before they can develop to adult trematodes. Usually the first hosts are snails and second host is fishes, so stork will get infected eating the infected fishes. Nestlings should get the adult trematodes from their parents when they regurgitate food to nestlings. Another interesting thing is that its described that that trematode can do hes developmental cycle through in warm climates, where the storks winter. so that is what we know about that parasite. The effect of that parasite to black stork population is not well known.
Yesterday evening everything went pretty much according how we planned. One thing what we noticed was that the other side is also nicked (something like if you bend plastic it will leave a line) and kept together by soft tissue and still soft keratin what covers the bone in the beak. That's why the fractured tip of the beak is so bendy.
Anyways today morning he got fish for food (today morning I went to the market and got him some small herring), hes meds and fluids. In the evening I'm taking off the bandage and will see how is the fractures doing. Lets hope for the best - that's what we can do.

Cheers,
--
With best regards,

Madis Leivits, DVM
Expert-veterinary
Estonian Fund for Nature

tel. +372 525 8994
email: madis@elfond.ee
http://www.elfond.ee
--
Madis Leivits, DVM
President - Estonian Veterinary Association