Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Post by Felis silvestris »

I have seen him on the bottom, a small speck, and then he flew away to the left. Maybe he will try again to reach the nest?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

A new try to reach the nest!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

18:51 - Kelly is very restless, looking to the left of the nest, calling for Tommy..
Parent on the branch..
asteria

Post by asteria »

And Tiina is on the branch.

So Tommy just fell out of the nest and didn't fly? :shock:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Tommy did not fall - he flew from the branch. Macko/George posted this good video! (thank you, Macko!) But then we can hear some crashing in the branches ...

macko50 wrote:
9:43 The first flight - 708T

asteria

Post by asteria »

Maybe Tommy just jumped on the other branch and it broke. Strange that the parents are near the nest now, it wasn't so last year.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No branch broke, and Tommy was just airborne one moment and went away. Now he tries to come back it it is not working. he seems not able to gain enough height to reach the nest! Unfortunately I was just looking at Stephi, so I missed it.

And what gives you the imagination parents are not close to their chicks? Unless they hunt, usually they are somewhere around! I bought myself a DVD called "Im Wald der schwarzen Störche" - In the wood of Black Storks - and they show the things we can't see at the cam. And that is that the youngsters will stay somewhere around the nest, maybe sleeping on it, if they can reach it, or on some other tree and usually one or both parents are with them, teaching them to hunt and whatever they need to know!

asteria

Post by asteria »

I know that the parents are close to the chicks but none of them was sitting on the branch last year like Tiit and Tiina today. That is something new.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Last year they had two more chicks to take care for. Maybe that explains why they rather stayed with the one outside than the one inside? This year it is one parent per chick!

asteria

Post by asteria »

Then it is good for them. :loveshower:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Again Tommy tried, I even could see him. But again, not high enough, and Kelly is shouting at him!

And food is coming!

Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Tommy tried but he couldn't reach the nest.

Click

asteria

Post by asteria »

Now Tiit is on the branch.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Felis silvestris wrote:No branch broke, and Tommy was just airborne one moment and went away. Now he tries to come back it it is not working. he seems not able to gain enough height to reach the nest! Unfortunately I was just looking at Stephi, so I missed it.

And what gives you the imagination parents are not close to their chicks? Unless they hunt, usually they are somewhere around! I bought myself a DVD called "Im Wald der schwarzen Störche" - In the wood of Black Storks - and they show the things we can't see at the cam. And that is that the youngsters will stay somewhere around the nest, maybe sleeping on it, if they can reach it, or on some other tree and usually one or both parents are with them, teaching them to hunt and whatever they need to know!
I think that parents not very close to nest because when they are coming(flying :D ),storklets notice them from a long distance already and start begging food.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
venegor

Post by venegor »

There was no boldness to make jerk for the first flight
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

I worry about Tommy will he be alright overnight and are the parents getting him food. :unsure:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

As long as all chicks are still in the nest, both parents are busy hunting for fish and frogs and the like, so I guess none is staying for a longer time around. The film showed, as soon as the chicks fledge, they (the chicks) will be either around the nest, moving farther and farther, as they learn to fly better, go with the parents to the hunting grounds (waters) and learn to catch fish and frogs themselves. During that time, usually a parent or even both are closer by. The youngsters get more and more independent with passing time, after all they have to fly south after some time. That's what I remember from watching the film and also from what I have found about BS in the internet.
Tommy will be surely fed by the parents as well, they will find him even in the woods!

Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Felis silvestris wrote:As long as all chicks are still in the nest, both parents are busy hunting for fish and frogs and the like, so I guess none is staying for a longer time around. The film showed, as soon as the chicks fledge, they (the chicks) will be either around the nest, moving farther and farther, as they learn to fly better, go with the parents to the hunting grounds (waters) and learn to catch fish and frogs themselves. During that time, usually a parent or even both are closer by. The youngsters get more and more independent with passing time, after all they have to fly south after some time. That's what I remember from watching the film and also from what I have found about BS in the internet.
Tommy will be surely fed by the parents as well, they will find him even in the woods!
Felis you just posted the answer I wanted to give. :hi: I have the same DVD about Black Storks. :loveshower:
Don't be worried Elaine. We only see a small part on the Cam.

Greetings to all of you and good night. We'll see tomorrow .............. :offtobed: .
Starling

Post by Starling »

22.12 Kelly spends time on the branch.
We´ve waited for them to grow up and move away. Nevertheless it feels also a little bit sad to let them go. First there were 4 eggs... then 3 chicks... then Lenny was taken away and now Tommy is somewhere out there and soon we have an empty nest. :rolleyes:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Kelly is going to sleep on the trunk.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”