Post by Lussi05 »

16:31 - An exhausted bunch, after an exciting day... :wave:
macko50

Post by macko50 »

June 30th

Good morning Everyone! :wave:

8:06 Feeding

Lenny is in the right corner.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
macko50

Post by macko50 »

11:33 Feeding

Lenny is in the right corner again.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
pziel

Post by pziel »

renno wrote:Back from the nest.

Juveniles got on the left leg white rings 708T (wing legth 34 cm), 708R (wing 36,5cm) and 708U (wing 35cm). In the right leg there is aluminium rings A10155-57 respectively. They were lot of pecking/beating and somehow 708R injured his bill few cm from the tip - there was scratch visible and some blood on the bill. I didn´t detect it but probably he hit something (me, nippers, climbers) too strongly. I am really sorry for causing this injury while ringing but hopefully it will heal quickly.

I will be out in next days therefore please follow how 708R is acting during feeding (eat with no trouble, will get enough food etc).

Hi Renno and all viewers!
Good action with the ringing! But what about the weight of the nestlings?
Judging by size of the nestlings they should weight 2.5 kg. but judging by size of the fish they consumed – much more!

Best wishes,
Piotr Zielinski
macko50

Post by macko50 »

11:49 Feeding

[youtube]iHksHA5icuI&[/youtube]
George
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Macko, thank you for your pictures and videos :wave:

14:56 - All looks well with the storklets, also with Lenny, doesn't it?
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Lussi05 wrote:Macko, thank you for your pictures and videos :wave:

14:56 - All looks well with the storklets, also with Lenny, doesn't it?
Hello Lussi,

as you see there is fish in Leeny's beak at every feedings, and I hope he can also swallow it, but in the end he shakes it's head.

As I see the upper and lower parts of it's beak do not overlap exactly.
George
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you for your answer Macko. I hope Lenny will be ok. I must admit that I have trouble seeing who is who of the storklets. I think it was easier last year :blush:

19:09 - 19:15, Afternoon with preening and stretching:

- it must be only males, they all have dark "hair" on their chest 8-) :laugh:
macko50

Post by macko50 »

20:13 Feeding

George
macko50

Post by macko50 »

July 1th

Good morning Everyone! :wave:

8:09 Feeding (slow motion)

Lenny is in the right corner.

The same feeding with normal speed.

George
macko50

Post by macko50 »

10:12 Strange sounds
10:29 Feeding

10:29 Feeding (slow motion)

George
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the videos and pictures of the ringing, everybody. :wave:
the storklets made me laugh so: they were growling and clacking their beaks in such an angry way that i wouldn't have been surprised at all if it had been Renno who was wounded. i guess it was the one who hurt its beak, Lenny, who was growling most and was the bravest of them all in defending the nest and its inhabitants. it was so funny also how the storklets got silent almost in a wink of an eye when Renno finally disappeared from the nest. they looked really baffled and just sat there... then the one in the middle wiggled its toes, looking like as if it had been thinking "now finally we got rid of that beast!" :laugh:

- too bad that Renno was in the front of the camera almost all the time so that it was difficult to see. (maybe that was the easiest side of the nest to climb in and that's why the camera is on that side, too.)

the storklet on the left (which was in the view) was maybe the least brave of them. i think it was making these baby-begging voices, chirps. -i was also waiting to see Renno give them a big bag of fish as an peace-offering in the end like Urmas has done... :faint: but i don't think that the storklets were disappointed. besides their parents have provided them with plenty of food. :thumbs:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

renno wrote:Back from the nest.

Juveniles got on the left leg white rings 708T (wing legth 34 cm), 708R (wing 36,5cm) and 708U (wing 35cm). In the right leg there is aluminium rings A10155-57 respectively. They were lot of pecking/beating and somehow 708R injured his bill few cm from the tip - there was scratch visible and some blood on the bill. I didn´t detect it but probably he hit something (me, nippers, climbers) too strongly. I am really sorry for causing this injury while ringing but hopefully it will heal quickly.

I will be out in next days therefore please follow how 708R is acting during feeding (eat with no trouble, will get enough food etc).
I carefully watched (again and again) the video of storks ringing and came to the conclusion that ... the storklet marked with a ring # 708R was not injured at all, and the blood visible on his beak was not his blood. The blood appeared shortly after the storklet ate a fish :puzzled: which he found (16:05:43) when Renno left the nest. When eating the fish, some bloody remnant stuck to the storklet's beak and for a longer time he could neither swallow nor get rid of it.

I cut out a part of my recording where one can see at what point the blood appears on the stork's beak and where it comes from:

And the chosen photos:

- a beak of the storklet sitting in the middle looks clean (btw - Renno, basing on the photo (of much better quality than screenshots) that he made shortly before he left the nest, could best estimate whether the beak of the stork was clean, or dirty with blood at that moment

- the stork is catching a fish(?)

- a blood appeared on (in?) the storklet's beak

What do other viewers and Renno think about it?

And one more thing: the stork ringed #708R is the blackest chick, so (using the suggested by Asteria naming criteria: viewtopic.php?p=146453#p146453 ) - it's not Lenny, but Tommy, I think.
asteria wrote:Kitty :wave:
Those short names are rather international. Neither as English as "Big, Mid and Little" nor as Estonian as "Uks, Kaks, Kolm, Neli" . Tommy is the blackest storklet, Kelly is the whitest one, Lenny somewhere between.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Lucy wrote:

I carefully watched (again and again) the video of storks ringing and came to the conclusion that ... the storklet marked with a ring # 708R was not injured at all, and the blood visible on his beak was not his blood. The blood appeared shortly after the storklet ate a fish :puzzled: which he found (16:05:43) when Renno left the nest. When eating the fish, some bloody remnant stuck to the storklet's beak and for a longer time he could neither swallow nor get rid of it.

What do other viewers and Renno think about it?

[/quote]

Hello Lucy,

I investigated the problem all the afternoon. Now I think that you may have been right, but the thing was not a fish, but a ring from metal or something like that. This metal thing injured it's beak. Lenny tried to eat it three times and swallowed it in the end.

First attempt.

Second attempt,

and the critical moment.

George
macko50

Post by macko50 »

13:11 Feeding

George
katsik

Post by katsik »

Hello everyone! :hi: Today 708Rwas very close to the camera and I must to say that his beak not looks good at all. :puzzled:
Some snaps from pontu.ee 17:17-17:32

macko50

Post by macko50 »

katsik wrote:Hello everyone! :hi: Today 708Rwas very close to the camera and I must to say that his beak not looks good at all. :puzzled:
Some snaps from pontu.ee 17:17-17:32
Hello katsik,

I just watched my recordings, and I watched the same. Lenny is only sitting, it is very sad, and enough to see this short video to see that Lanny doesn't feel well :(

George
Bea

Post by Bea »

It looks as if the lower part of the beak has split up somehow ..... that didn`t look so from the beginning of the injuring, maybe it got more worse during the muddled feedings ....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
katsik

Post by katsik »

macko50 wrote: Hello katsik,

I just watched my recordings, and I watched the same. Lenny is only sitting, it is very sad, and enough to see this short video to see that Lanny doesn't feel well :(
:cry: I think Lenny needs some medical help. I have no clue is it possible to fix somehow the beak?
asteria

Post by asteria »

Right now he is standing and playing with Kelly.

http://pontu.eenet.ee/kurg/2012-07-01/2 ... -20-46.jpg
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”