Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Manu

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Post by Manu »

Felis silvestris wrote:I have news from Urmas to share concerning donations. He already received mine from last evening (going really fast, I am surprised)! He is naturally concerned about the costs for Lenny's treatment and hopes money also goes to Estonian Fund for Nature (the account stated is correct, the IBAN I can give or you can find out through the bank's homepage). He also suggests to use bank transfer as with Paypal not everything will reach as Paypal takes its fees!
I've use to send money to Kotkaclubi with bank transfer and with Paypal to Dr. Madis Link. I hope money will find to the right place :nod: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Storklets just received an evening snack!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Very well done, Manu. :bow: :loveshower:

I found about 80 Euros cash this morning, from my last visit to Estonia, last year. I half thought that if Lenny is still in hospital when I get to Estonia, maybe I could visit him and give Madis some "herring money" at the same time. I am going on July 16, but maybe not to Tartu till later in the week, if at all.

This unfortunate event has served to remind us all of the expense involved in caring for wildlife. Any help we can give is significant in its effect.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Thank you Dr Madis for the latest news.

21:57 Feeding

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The Pontu pictures of June 28 (the day before ringing) are up here: http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... 6_June-28/ now. The next day is still loading, I let it run, but will get ready for bed now. :offtobed: :thumbs:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Felis, I started to look through your archive - here are three beaks on display -

Bea

Post by Bea »

Manu wrote: I've use to send money to Kotkaclubi with bank transfer and with Paypal to Dr. Madis Link. I hope money will find to the right place :nod: .
So did I .... both ways worked well and as Manu I hope the money gets where I want it to :nod:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

And here, too. I can't see anything significant. Can anyone else see any beak problem?

katsik

Post by katsik »

Manu wrote:I've use to send money to Kotkaclubi with bank transfer and with Paypal to Dr. Madis Link. I hope money will find to the right place :nod: .
I think I've missed something :puzzled: Where did you find Kotkaklubi bank account?
I have only Estonian Fund for Nature account number. I think that all those account numbers should be in front page now , then everybody can see it :wave:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No, I have looked through complete 28th, nice pictures, they are so cute together, and they all three show off their beaks on and off, I can't see a problem! On 29th immediately after ringing some fresh blood is visible and I think, a slight unevenness. It must have gotten worse with time and straining it while feeding! :puzzled:

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

katsik wrote: I think I've missed something :puzzled: Where did you find Kotkaklubi bank account?
I have only Estonian Fund for Nature account number. I think that all those account numbers should be in front page now , then everybody can see it :wave:
Check your PM, katsik!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

okay, managed to wait for the upload to finish, a few unimportant ones from morning did not go, will go tomorrow, but look at this: I think Lenny is the one in the middle

And the whole album:

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... 6_June-29/

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thaks, Felis.
Hmm, maybe there is some marking on that middle beak, but we can't really see the alignment of upper and lower parts of the beak.
What a good thing that Madis has him in hand now.
And what's even better - Madis comes here to tell us about it. Fantastic! :loveshower:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Jo UK wrote:And what's even better - Madis comes here to tell us about it. Fantastic! :loveshower:
Yes, that's unbelievable :nod: :loveshower:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Felis silvestris wrote: Leonia sent me some research results she has done during afternoon and found a referral to skeletal deformities in connection with trematodes. Maybe she finds the time to write something herself later, when she is at home?
:book:
Sorry, too late for checking the research results now, but I promise to look further on. It may fit into my theory on the different situation of west- and east-migration. The birds that migrate on western routes seeme to be at an advantage to those on eastern routes. Western population is increasing, eastern population has great problems. Maybe besides the longer and much more difficult route the trematodes (and other things the birds have to cope with) in Africa are among the reasons for it. :puzzled:
And now :offtobed: good night to all the storkoholics of Looduskalender!
pziel

Post by pziel »

We all are happy that Lenny is in good hands. But we must wait.
In our nest young storks consume food as before, but faster.
Has anyone of you noticed how the parents regurgitate food? Is big fish regurgiatated head first or tail first? Adults when catching fish certainly swallow big fishes head first, but I haven't noticed if the big fish is regurgiteted head or tail first.

Piotr
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

pziel wrote:We all are happy that Lenny is in good hands. But we must wait.
Has anyone of you noticed how the parents regurgitate food? Is big fish regurgiatated head first or tail first? Adults when catching fish certainly swallow big fishes head first, but I haven't noticed if the big fish is regurgiteted head or tail first.

Piotr
Why,pziel,is it of any importance whether fish regurgitated head or tail first :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macko50

Post by macko50 »

pziel wrote:We all are happy that Lenny is in good hands. But we must wait.

Piotr
Piotr,

it is almost impossible to catch this moment. In this slow motion video may be the tail was the first.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote: Why,pziel,is it of any importance whether fish regurgitated head or tail first :puzzled:
I would be willing to bet they come out the way they go in -- tail last, but I also bet I will never be able to see what actually happens. -- thinking of the physics of the thing and as a lesson for the chicks to eat the tail last
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Good morning :hi:

08:00 - A wet morning..

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”