What heppened with Lenny's beak?
After Lucy had doubts, that Renny was injured during the ringing, I investigated the problem all the afternoon. Now I think that Lucy may have been right. After Renno left the nest a ring from metal or something like that was in the nest. This metal thing injured poor Lenny's beak. Lenny tried to eat it three times and swallowed it in the end.
Thank you very much Macko50 for your photographs with swallowing.
- Nestlings don't swallow hard items. During ringing the nestlings usually regurgitate some food, so after ringing there is always something to be eaten on the nest bottom. If it was swallowed, it was edible.
- During ringing ringers use only metal and plastic rings, nothing more. It is impossible that Renno left a metal ring (ring with the number) on the nest. Rings with number are strictly registered, so he couldn’t simply lost it. Other things are not used during ringing, so I think it was something which could be swallowed.
I didn't say that Renno left something in the nest. I sad there was a metal ring or something like that in the nest, I didn't say that Renno left it in the nest. As I see the second picture it is exactly a ring, but not the same which used by ringing, and after when Renny picked up it was visible the blood on it's beak. It must be a hard thing, because it injured it's beak, and Lenny swallowed this hard thing, as you can see on the video.
You are an expert, and I believe you, and apologize for my mistake, but I wanted the best for Renny.