Timea

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2018

Post by Timea »

20.32:

Mom with a nicely tucked beak, over the eggs for her night shift

Good night :wave:
AAnne

Post by AAnne »

20:56 Karl arrived home. Maybe they'll both stay for the night, Kati didn't fly away.
Good night stork family :offtobed:

Michi

Post by Michi »

baska wrote: April 16th, 2018, 8:59 am
Hello Michi :wave:
Kati must have chosen the same route via Bulgaria.
I spoke to that Hungarian, Márton Vlad András, about that and I did send pictures of Kati's legs.
He is sure, because before he brought an injured stork with a broken wing to a bird hospital.
While the vet treated the stork, András examined the legs, who had several big black bumbs, also between the toes.
He and the vet found out that these black bumbs must have been chilblains from the extreme weather in Bulgaria.

But with Kati, he told me, it is the same but not dangerous, because these chilblains only damaged the skin and not the tissue underneith. She won't have pains.
Thank you, Baska, for your statement! It‘s sad that this can happen to our birds. :-( But I‘m relieved, that the man stated, that Kati didn’t had/have pains. Thank heavens it doesn‘t look inflamed.

Congratulations to the second egg, Karl and Kati! :D
Michi

Post by Michi »

UteL. wrote: April 18th, 2018, 3:00 pm I suppose that's the sebaceous gland!?
My thoughts are the same. Something like that can be unoffending for a long time, for years. But it also can change and can get worse. I think when Karl is often nibbling at it, it is disturbing him. Nibbling too much is probably not good. Difficult to say it in English, but I‘m sure you know what I mean.
If I would have a pet with such a sebaceous gland, Karl has (if it is this), I would go to a vet and let remove it. Unfortunately this is not possible with Karl.
I hope, it is not getting worse. :unsure:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Michi wrote: April 18th, 2018, 9:30 pm My thoughts are the same. Something like that can be unoffending for a long time, for years. But it also can change and can get worse. I think when Karl is often nibbling at it, it is disturbing him. Nibbling too much is probably not good. Difficult to say it in English, but I‘m sure you know what I mean.
If I would have a pet with such a sebaceous gland, Karl has (if it is this), I would go to a vet and let remove it. Unfortunately this is not possible with Karl.
I hope, it is not getting worse. :unsure:
Hello Michi. :hi:
Do you mean that Karl's uropygial gland looks infected? :puzzled:
(I have no idea how the gland should look like, in black storks.)
Removing that gland wouldn't be a good thing to do, I believe.
Storks (and many other species) need that specific gland to clean and waterproof their feathers.
The uropygial gland secretes an oil (preen oil) through the dorsal surface of the skin via a grease nipple-like nub or papilla.
Preen oil seems to have antimicrobial properties and it also contains anti parasitic substances. :2thumbsup:

http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/55-9-413.pdf
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Hello Anne :hi: ,
Michi wrote: April 18th, 2018, 9:30 pm If I would have a pet with such a sebaceous gland, Karl has (if it is this), I would go to a vet and let remove it.
Anne7 wrote: April 18th, 2018, 11:14 pm Hello Michi:hi:
Do you mean that Karl's uropygial gland looks infected?:puzzled:
(I have no idea how the gland should look like, in black storks.)
Removing that gland wouldn't be a good thing to do, I believe.
Storks (and many other species) need that specific gland to clean and waterproof their feathers.
The uropygial gland secretes an oil (preen oil) through the dorsal surface of the skin via a grease nipple-like nub or papilla.
Preen oil also seems to have antimicrobial properties.

http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/55-9-413.pdf
I just now have read about the uropygial gland. Before I didn't know anything about it.
After some research in the web and comparing the pictures of pelicans in your link with the pictures from Karl, I am very sure, that it is Karls uropygial gland, AAnne has captured in her pics. The sebaceous gland I wrote about, is completely different to that uropygial gland. I have meant a “normal” sebaceous gland, which grows bigger and bigger and sometimes can get inflamed. The uropygial gland is a totally different gland.Therefore there’s no need to talk about a possible worsening or even removing, - no no! :shock: :slap:
I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding!
After comparing with other pics to me the gland looks normal and well.
I've also found a picture from a Black Stork, who just takes his "preen oil" from his uropygial gland.

Picture from Wolf Spillner
Source: https://naturfotografen-forum.de/o16968 ... dr%C3%BCse

All what you have said about the importance of this gland, I have found confirmed. The storks need it to get their feathers waterproof, in addition the secretion has fungicidal and bactericidal properties. Especially at waterbirds the uropygial gland is very big and well developed. The storks take the secretion with the beak and spread it all over their feathers.
The latter I’ve found here: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 00070-0_16 It‘s written in German language.

In this moment I remember how often I’ve seen the storks with their beak on the lower back. Now I know what they are doing there. Learnt something new! :D Next time I will watch their preening with special attention.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

April 19

Good Morning :wave:

6:18 Kati Kati flies to the breakfast

Karl takes care of the house
AAnne

Post by AAnne »

Thanks Michi for that research and info :hi: , I learned something new and interesting now too.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

10:36
Kati retour

11:01
Mating
11:04
Karl takes off

AAnne

Post by AAnne »

15:47 Kati still home alone :whistling:

Solo

Post by Solo »

Michi wrote: April 19th, 2018, 1:32 am ... https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 00070-0_16 ...
:hi: Michi,
thank you for that research and info, I also learned something new and interesting.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

16:53

Karl retour

A beautiful nest they have already created.
venegor

Post by venegor »

2018-04-19 16:59
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

UteL. wrote: April 19th, 2018, 4:57 pm A beautiful nest they have already created.
Yes, you are right, they did a great job! (With some help) :laugh:
Who brought that hay today? :2thumbsup:
(I didn't watch)

Thanks everyone, for the pics and comments!
Will we see a 3th egg tomorrow? I believe we will. :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Anne7 wrote: April 19th, 2018, 5:34 pm Yes, you are right! (With some help) :laugh:
Who brought that hay today? :2thumbsup:
(I didn't watch)

Thanks everyone, for the pics and comments!
Will we see a 3th egg tomorrow? I believe we will. :wave:
That would have brought Karl between 11 and 14 o'clock, I did not see it either. The eggs are already pretty hidden. We see a 3th egg tomorrow, sometime, Sometime :laugh:

Kati 17:11 flown; 18:58 retour
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Michi wrote: In this moment I remember how often I’ve seen the storks with their beak on the lower back. Now I know what they are doing there. Learnt something new! :D Next time I will watch their preening with special attention.
Yes, now that we know where exactly they have their preen gland with a difficult name, and how it looks, we will look differently at preening. :D
Thanks for the BS pic.
— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

We also call it "Bürzeldrüse", Bürzel=rump, drüse=gland
or Bürzel=Tail approach without feathers

:wave:
Trine

Post by Trine »

I found an interesting article: http://maaleht.delfi.ee/news/maaleht/uu ... d=81789667
It is in Estonian, and it concerns cooperation of Estonian and Latvian ornithologists in installing the nest cams. Urmas is quoted. I post it here because it contains a photo of Karl and Kati's old nest (I suppose). Maybe someone else finds it worth reading or something.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Trine wrote: April 19th, 2018, 6:38 pm I found an interesting article: http://maaleht.delfi.ee/news/maaleht/uu ... d=81789667
It is in Estonian, and it concerns cooperation of Estonian and Latvian ornithologists in installing the nest cams. Urmas is quoted. I post it here because it contains a photo of Karl and Kati's old nest (I suppose). Maybe someone else finds it worth reading or something.
Hi, Trine :wave:
that's the latvian nest :laugh:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: April 19th, 2018, 5:34 pm Who brought that hay today? :2thumbsup:
(I didn't watch)
It was Karl and Kati was very happily about it :laugh:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”