Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Discussion 2009 ~ Eha & Koit

oliv

Re: Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Discussion

Post by oliv »

Wonderful news! Spot looks just so bright as before. 8-)
Did Spot find Estonia again if she travel whit train or plane to Africa?
Tahidor

Post by Tahidor »

Our prince/princessa will manage it - she's got so much love and care and skills - no doupt she/he will success to carry on the family's genes to a future generations/lives - she/he will!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I can't believe it.. :rotf: :rotf: ..SPOT in that photo !! He looks as fierce as his old self. :rolleyes: Seems to be saying;;YOU COME ANY NEARER THEN YOU'LL BE SORRY :vangry: !
Thats the way to go, Spot you show them what 'stuff' you're made of. :thumbs:
(talking of 'hackles'..there they are.!)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

Some Saturday reading, translation of the Eesti Päevaleht article; Kuremari has told the important facts from it.
Link to EPL article (Thanks, Kuremari)
EPL Eesti Päevaleht
18. september 2009 08:00
Author: Ulvar Käärt

Lesser spotted eagle celebrity Spot in „hospital” just before autumn migration

FOTO by Kaja Kübar; Link to Mutikluti's forum post with photo here

If the wing heals within the next few weeks Spot has a chance to go south before winter.
The eaglet in the nest of lesser spotted eagles Koit and Eha, Spot, who grew up this summer in view of the webcam and whose smallest movement was observed by thousands of eyes all over the world was brought just before the migration with an injured wing to the Nigula Wild Animal Rehab Centre.
Mihkel Juhkam who found the eagle this weekend in a sorry state near the nesting place in Jõgevamaa said that he had simply gone out to pick mushrooms. „I hadn’t seen any mushrooms yet when I found him under a tree about 100 m from the road”, Mihkel Juhkam says.
The eagle who huddled under the tree almost completely apathetic let itself be put into a box without resistance and could be brought to the experts.
Kaja Kübar, director of the wild animal rehabilitation centre in Pärnumaa explained that the right wing of the eagle had received a quite hard knock and a large haematoma had formed at the wing bone (ulna) . Special creams are now used to medicate this.
Since the wing bones aren’t broken Kaja Kübar believes that the young hothead had careered into a tree or a branch.
Kaja Kübar also said that when the eagle arrived at the centre a good sign was that he had a very good appetite. It was enough to put the food near the beak, and he gobbled it up. „Obviously he had already gone without food for several days before being found”, she said.
So if Mihkel Juhkam had started his mushroom hunt only some ten metres further away the young eagle who is in the highest-listed protection class, would have died of hunger in his helpless state, or some fox would have made a meal of him.
The first few days the eagle had to be fed by hand, but now, stronger, he tears the meat off the chicken legs himself.
Urmas Sellis from the Eagle Club thinks that if Spot doesn’t get well during this month then his first migration journey to the south will be off, and he will have to spend the winter in Nigula.
Kaja Kübar believes optimistically that Spot, who has gained strength very well during the last few days, can soon be let out to freedom, and will have the time to get away before winter.
Eagles were watched on the web by viewers from more than 100 countries
•• Growing up in sight of the real-time working web camera, lesser spotted eagle Spot became a rare bird celebrity like Tooni and Donna
•• From the moment when two eggs appeared in Koit’s and Eha’s nest this spring, this real-life serial became a surprising success. And not only in Estonia but in the whole world.
•• In a short time Spot won the hearts of fans from more than 100 countries. Altogether nature enthusiasts clicked to watch the camera nearly 1,5 million times. The name Spot was given by dedicated watchers outside Estonia.
•• Spot’s mother Eha went on the journey to Africa already in August, father, Koit left about a week ago.
•• Lesser spotted eagles belong to the highest-listed protection category of endangered species. Up to 600 pairs are thought to nest in Estonia.

•• The lesser spotted eagle is the most frequently seen eagle species in Estonia.
•• Following ruling from the Ministry of Environment in a first stage 15 permanent nesting locations of lesser spotted eagles will be protected. The protection will include one nesting location in east Virumaa, 2 in Läänemaa, 1 in estern Virumaa, 2 inPõlvamaa, 4 in Raplamaa, 1 in Tartumaa, 1 in Vijandimaa and 2 in Võrumaa,

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis
:bow: Thank you so much for the detailed translation! :bow:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:I can't believe it.. :rotf: :rotf: ..SPOT in that photo !! He looks as fierce as his old self. :rolleyes: Seems to be saying;;YOU COME ANY NEARER THEN YOU'LL BE SORRY :vangry: !
Thats the way to go, Spot you show them what 'stuff' you're made of. :thumbs:
(talking of 'hackles'..there they are.!)
Yes,
Spot is both cute and fierce!
And I think those are dictionary definition hackles!
sunnygirl

Post by sunnygirl »

Thank you Liis for that translation :D
asteria

Post by asteria »

oliv wrote:Wonderful news! Spot looks just so bright as before. 8-)
Did Spot find Estonia again if she travel whit train or plane to Africa?
Yes, why not? If Tõnn even found Oulu himself why can't Spot find Estonia?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Leica Eagles

Post by Leica Eagles »

I am so glad that Spot's being so well taken care of! Having become an "Eagleholic", I've become addicted to thier observation on many various nest camera sites. I was unfortunate enough to have witnessed live "a rouge eagle" juvenile Bald Eagle force two hatchlings from their nest on the Channel Islands Eagle camera last season and rode the roller coaster of highs and lows with the injured eagles. Just like we are all doing with Spot since his unfortunate accident.

I mentioned Spot there on thier forum and all of my fellow members there are sending their best wishes for Spot. I intend to post "progress reports" there about Spot with the proper citation of the sources too.

Having watched Spot all season as well as his LSE cousins here, I now want to make a visit to beautiful Estonia when I am able to visit your neighbors to the north in Finland and Sweden. Thank you all for your "Eggcellent" information that I have learned too! :2thumbsup:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Leica Eagles, say when you are going to Estonia and Finland. Maybe some members can meet up with you?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Liis, thank you so much for that translation. Your work allows me to feel as though I am right there instead of peeking through a dim cloud of foreign-to-me words :headroll:

Besides learning about Spot's improving condition, it was very interesting to hear about the number of viewers and the numbers of countries that care about our Spot.

LeicaEagles, I also lived through that episode on the Pelican Harbor nest (but I don't belong to the CHIL forum). It was ... horrifying. There is so much more going on in the lives of birds than I ever imagined!
Leica Eagles

Post by Leica Eagles »

LeicaEagles, I also lived through that episode on the Pelican Harbor nest (but I don't belong to the CHIL forum). It was ... horrifying. There is so much more going on in the lives of birds than I ever imagined!

It was horrifying is putting it mildly. Espeically when so many of we humans had become attached to them. I personally find it intellectually stimulating to note how alot of the behaviors of the various eagle species are so common despite the distances between their ranges. Thier other more specialized "behaviors" then seem to stand out more to we who view them. Having watched nests for several years it is somewhat amusing to see their various, pardon the anthropromorphism here, "PERSONalities" show their individuality.

I wish I knew when I would be able to travel over there as i am sure there is more than I could ever hope to see without some "help". Having worked for our National Park Service , even though i never had the honor to work in the natural wonders of our park system , I am always interested in the efforts of my colleagues at their nation's national parks. Hopefully, I wil manage to travel within 5 years and see the Baltic Region and return to Sweden and Finland. I woud go tomorrow if it were not for the aged and infirmed parents that deserve my care and attention.
Tahidor

Post by Tahidor »

No words can express so much as these pictures of the lovecaring tieds between the mother Eha and the child Spot (the diligent father Koit not forgotten):
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=4901775.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=4901787.jpg
Following this nest's success have made me totally unexpected happy! :headroll:
ulag

Post by ulag »

Welcome Gólya: :loveshower:
  Hívlak Lengyeli, a "zapraszam"
Én szívélyesen üdvözlöm :wave:
  Ula
kittenface

Post by kittenface »

Tahidor wrote:No words can express so much as these pictures of the lovecaring tieds between the mother Eha and the child Spot (the diligent father Koit not forgotten):
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=4901775.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=4901787.jpg
Following this nest's success have made me totally unexpected happy! :headroll:
Those are just such Sweet and Precious pictures you caught very special family moments
Thank you
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Poor Spot! What an adventure he has just had. I do hope he can go in his migration, but if not, he is well taken care of by his human friends.
Helen
oliv

Post by oliv »

asteria wrote: Yes, why not? If Tõnn even found Oulu himself why can't Spot find Estonia?
I haven´t follow Tönns travel. Did Tönn migrate with train or plane. :blush:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

LOL - Tonn used his own built-in Satnav and wings. :laugh: He is interesting.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Jo UK wrote:LOL - Tonn used his own built-in Satnav and wings. :laugh: He is interesting.
... and a great one for seeing Europe. Latest news from Urmas about Tõnn's second Grand Tour http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/5141
Best of luck, Tõnn!
Interesting question though: is it better to get transport to winter quarters, or spend winter in care "at home"? Would transport disturb orientation especially for first-time migrants?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I feel sure that they need to learn the lie of the land and arrange their own itinerary!

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”